HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
The only big different I see between the two teams (at this time last year) is Henrik Lundqvist. The Rangers didn't have a #1 center prior to Richards, and Dion Phaneuf is no more a #1 defenceman than Ryan McDonagh or Marc Staal.
Right.... The only difference between the two teams is Lundqvist? The Leafs defense is garbage and they barely have the two-way forwards that the Rangers have. They were never remotely comparable, the Rangers skaters were far more complete going into this season than the Leafs were. If you want to claim that it was only Lundqvist that changed the disparity between the two teams, how come Martin Biron looked like a decent goalie for the majority of the year (career backup?

Dion Phaneuf is the most overrated player according to his peers and rightfully so with comments like the one you stated above. He is a defensive liability and was a big reason why the Leafs allowed the 2nd most goals in the league last season.

Quote:
The Rangers youth played a large role in allowing the Rangers to take the next step. Following a successful AHL playoffs, the Leafs youth is expected to make a similar impact, albeit to a lesser extent.
According to who? The comparable team to the Leafs is maybe the team that is in the same province, the Ottawa Senators. They had a bunch of kids play and win the Calder Cup and made a successful transition the following year by making the playoffs and forcing the Rangers to game 7. Even with Ottawa, it's hard for them to compare with the Leafs since Karlsson and Spezza played like top 10 players this year, not to mention the abundance of scoring depth, veteran captain, balanced defense, young bottom 6 and adequate goaltending. The Leafs have a lot of deficiencies in their roster. Perhaps acquiring Luongo for spare parts will fix some of those problems.

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that the Leafs will finish 1st in the Eastern Conference, as they do not presently have a Brad Richards and Henrik Lundqvist, or the means to acquire one, but they aren't as far off as some have suggested in this thread. The Leafs should legitimately compete for a playoff berth next season, they are not a lost cause...
According to who? They were the 3rd worst team in the EC and have not made the playoffs post lockout. Their roster is still up in air and there have been little to no improvements standings wise ever since Brian Burke took over.

Quote:
And please don't mention Edmonton and competitive in the same sentence. Drafting 1st overall three years in a row is not competitive...
Edmonton will make the playoffs before the Leafs will IMO. They have an insane amount of young talent set up for the long run. What makes the Leafs any better than Edmonton?

Old
06-02-2012, 06:49 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Let's be honest, only reason why the Leafs are in it is Gardiner. Otherwise I don't believe they're a consideration.

Nothing really special about them. They're situation is like many other teams....

Old
06-02-2012, 06:54 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
silly to go to a team because it's a) your hometown team, b) your buddy is there, or, c) cuz it's a convenient place for your 'advisor'. he should go where it suits him best professionally. wherever that may be.
This stuff would concern me. He's a kid. Probably not all that familiar with the business and doesn't know yet that he should do what's best for his CAREER.

I'd be more at ease if this was a 30 y/o. I feel at that age you know a bit more, more savvy, cause you experienced it already.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Let's be honest, only reason why the Leafs are in it is Gardiner. Otherwise I don't believe they're a consideration.

Nothing really special about them. They're situation is like many other teams....
Original 6 team, maybe Schultz also wants to play in the pressure cooker to start his promising NHL career......

Wings have Smith, Rangers have McDonagh and Stepan, Nashville has Craig Smith, etc. I don't think it's a viable reason to pick a NHL team, unless they were really close.

Old
06-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
silly to go to a team because it's a) your hometown team, b) your buddy is there, or, c) cuz it's a convenient place for your 'advisor'. he should go where it suits him best professionally. wherever that may be.
In other words, it's silly to sign anywhere but New York? A and B seem like valid reasons to sign anywhere to me.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Right.... The only difference between the two teams is Lundqvist? The Leafs defense is garbage and they barely have the two-way forwards that the Rangers have. They were never remotely comparable, the Rangers skaters were far more complete going into this season than the Leafs were. If you want to claim that it was only Lundqvist that changed the disparity between the two teams, how come Martin Biron looked like a decent goalie for the majority of the year (career backup?)

Dion Phaneuf is the most overrated player according to his peers and rightfully so with comments like the one you stated above. He is a defensive liability and was a big reason why the Leafs allowed the 2nd most goals in the league last season.

According to who? The comparable team to the Leafs is maybe the team that is in the same province, the Ottawa Senators. They had a bunch of kids play and win the Calder Cup and made a successful transition the following year by making the playoffs and forcing the Rangers to game 7. Even with Ottawa, it's hard for them to compare with the Leafs since Karlsson and Spezza played like top 10 players this year, not to mention the abundance of scoring depth, veteran captain, balanced defense, young bottom 6 and adequate goaltending. The Leafs have a lot of deficiencies in their roster. Perhaps acquiring Luongo for spare parts will fix some of those problems.

According to who? They were the 3rd worst team in the EC and have not made the playoffs post lockout. Their roster is still up in air and there have been little to no improvements standings wise ever since Brian Burke took over.

Edmonton will make the playoffs before the Leafs will IMO. They have an insane amount of young talent set up for the long run. What makes the Leafs any better than Edmonton?
I have no interest in derailing this thread, so I will simply agree to disagree.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:03 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
In other words, it's silly to sign anywhere but New York? A and B seem like valid reasons to sign anywhere to me.
They're valid reasons, but shouldn't be the main reason/s. Which I believe it is for him. Otherwise he would have signed with the Ducks.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Edmonton's selling point is that they are a good young team who should compete in the future, if that is his top priority than the Rangers and Canucks should win out because they are more competitive and offer additional pro's. For New York it is McDonagh and Stepan, and for Vancouver it is the distance from home.

No matter how you slice it, Edmonton comes out as a non-factor, IMO. The only counter point I could see is that the Oilers offer the most opportunity due to the lack of quality on their blue-line. I have a difficult time believing the: Rangers, Canucks and Leafs couldn't do the same however.
He's a righty. We have 2 unknown right spots. Girardi is the only righty that's a sure bet to be on the ice for Opening Night. Sauer's health is much under question (thanks, Phaneuf) and our bottom pairing isn't stable. Theoretically, Schultz could push for a second pairing slot and play with Staal. If he were a lefty, it would be a different story, as our left side is full. But the NYR are very weak in RD.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Scion

Quote:
They're valid reasons, but shouldn't be the main reason/s. Which I believe it is for him. Otherwise he would have signed with the Ducks.
Why shouldn't they be main reasons?

Old
06-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
He's a righty. We have 2 unknown right spots. Girardi is the only righty that's a sure bet to be on the ice for Opening Night. Sauer's health is much under question (thanks, Phaneuf) and our bottom pairing isn't stable. Theoretically, Schultz could push for a second pairing slot and play with Staal. If he were a lefty, it would be a different story, as our left side is full. But the NYR are very weak in RD.
I could definitely see Schultz playing on the Rangers opening day roster, and being successful. The Rangers have reliable goaltending, a defensive system that helps to shelter young defenceman, and a proven track record of breeding successful young players.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:12 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Why shouldn't they be main reasons?
If I were him, I'd be more focused on being in a good situation. Having a good coaching staff. A team that can help me develop.

Not saying that Vancouver isn't that. But what if they were like the Blue Jackets?

Wonder would they be a consideration.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Scion

Quote:
If I were him, I'd be more focused on being in a good situation. Having a good coaching staff. A team that can help me develop.

Not saying that Vancouver isn't that. But what if they were like the Blue Jackets?

Wonder would they be a consideration.
Right, and that is your preference, just like it may be Schultz preference to play for a team near home. Neither reason is right or wrong, it just depends on the individual.

With respect to the Blue Jackets, it is important not to get too hung up over a teams position in the standings, or past success. Turn over in the standings is a common theme in the post lockout NHL. With that in mind it is difficult to pin point which team is or isn't a good fit in terms of future success, just about any team can make a reasonable case. That is my take on it anyway.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Right, and that is your preference, just like it may be Schultz preference to play for a team near home. Neither reason is right or wrong, it just depends on the individual.

With respect to the Blue Jackets, it is important not to get too hung up over a teams position in the standings, or past success. Turn over in the standings is a common theme in the post lockout NHL. With that in mind it is difficult to pin point which team is or isn't a good fit in terms of future success, just about any team can make a reasonable case. That is my take on it anyway.
look at their location though, they are in bumble****

Old
06-03-2012, 01:25 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
I don't think the Jackets will ever be good. Ineptly run franchise.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:36 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I don't think the Jackets will ever be good. Ineptly run franchise.
Young franchise. Management changes.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Young franchise. Management changes.
This.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:28 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

any new news?

Old
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
any new news?
Unless Anaheim deals his rights (to negotiate) there really won't be much until he's allowed to begin talking with other teams on the 25th I believe.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Gatorade*

The Leaf board says he is a Leaf but some other team will be charged with tampering. Russo seems to have the inside scoop.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
The Leaf board says he is a Leaf but some other team will be charged with tampering. Russo seems to have the inside scoop.
Russo guessed that he'll go to the Leafs based on the fact that Burke drafted him and he played with Gardiner at Wisconsin. Nothing ground breaking.

As ususl, Leafs fans are taking speculation as fact.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Russo guessed that he'll go to the Leafs based on the fact that Burke drafted him and he played with Gardiner at Wisconsin. Nothing ground breaking.

As ususl, Leafs fans are taking speculation as fact.
Russo claims that he made his mind up already. There has to be a compelling reason for him to forgoe free agency overtures from the rest of the league.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:16 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Russo claims that he made his mind up already. There has to be a compelling reason for him to forgoe free agency overtures from the rest of the league.
Yes, the compelling reason is that he is not permitted to speak with any other teams for several more weeks.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Schultz can't speak to other teams until June 25.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:46 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

No need to denegrate the Leafs. For much of Canada, they are the national team. I've spent time in most major Canadian cities and you see Leafs fans everywhere much like you see Yankee or Cowboys fans throughout the US. Not everyone is fixated on how the team did last year.

Players like this don't often come free. Schultz has an intriguing decision and since no one team can outbid another, it will come down to non financial considerations. I just hope he sees the big picture and also has a good understanding of how it all worked out for best buddies Blake Wheeler and Phil Kessel.

Quote:
I lived in Minnesota for 3 years and Russo, who is a real good guy, seldom had inside scoops.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Also. How can Schultz "be a Leaf" when he can't even legally speak with other clubs until the 25th.

Closed Thread