HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Who is Russia's #2 forward right now?

View Poll Results: Who is Russia's #2 forward right now?
Kovalchuk 92 41.82%
Ovechkin 48 21.82%
Datsyuk 73 33.18%
Radulov 1 0.45%
Semin 1 0.45%
Malkin (because _______ is #1 - see reply) 5 2.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
silkyjohnson50

vCash: 500
The great thing about this thread is that Datsyuk ranked much higher than Kovy in the recent "top forwards in the NHL thread" on this very board. What makes it so great is that it was literally only weeks ago and Datsyuk hasn't even played a game in the NHL since that poll was last conducted. We live in such a "what have you done for me lately" world here in HF land. I believe Ovechkin even ranked higher than Kovalchuk as well. Yet here he is still playing and at the top of people's minds.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Socratic Method Man

vCash: 622
For one year, I'll take Datsyuk over Malkin. I'll take Datsyuk over just about anyone actually. Just his total dominance of a game, every part of the ice, he's stealing the puck, he's taking it up ice and he's puting it in the back of the net. Malkin is extremely talented offensively. He's who I'd take second for one year. Although personally, I might gamble with Ovechkin (probably not) cus if he can get his game back to a few years ago - he was the most dominating player in the game.

Datsyuk
Malkin
Kovalchuk/Ovechkin

If it's to build a franchise with, obviously Malkin over Datsyuk.

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Malkin
Datsyuk
Ovechkin
Kovalchuk
Semin

AINEC

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 04:36 PM
WalterHeisenberg

vCash: 322
still going with Ovy

WalterHeisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 07:33 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 2146
Kovalchuk is playing the best right now. Datsyuk is awesome, but sometimes it seems like he's the current day version of Forsberg in terms of HF Borads never ending love for him.

whatthef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Falcons93

Malkin
Kovalchuk
Ovechkin
Datsyuk
Semin
Radulov

If it's based on the past 3-5 years, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk can switch spots, but Kovalchuk was better this season.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Nocashstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Kovalchuk's history of choking is forgotten once he gets a hot goalie.
Really? What choking?

Nocashstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Bathcat
Wait, it was ATL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Kovalchuk is playing the best right now. Datsyuk is awesome, but sometimes it seems like he's the current day version of Forsberg in terms of HF Borads never ending love for him.

Bathcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:18 AM
duga

1.Malkin
2.Datsyuk
3.Kovalchuck (pretty close all 3)

4.Semin
5.Radulov
6. The guy who's at least a step behind anybody of the aforementioned when it comes to Hockey-IQ, Vision and hand-skills.

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Prattio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Jeeze the boner Wings fans have for datsyuk is annoying. He's a hell of a player, and I hate to not like someone because of what I read on hfboards but it's a bit much. He's a top 10 guy in the league these days. He's such a classy and likeable guy so I hate to have this negative attitude towards him, but i can't shake it because of what I read on this board.
I know exactly how you feel. I want to like him I really do hes never done anything as a player to make me dislike him. But when I read people saying hes better than Malkin It just makes me cringe. Any time I see his name brought up I do a little eye roll now.

Prattio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:13 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
1.Malkin
2.Datsyuk
3.Kovalchuck (pretty close all 3)

4.Semin
5.Radulov
6. The guy who's at least a step behind anybody of the aforementioned when it comes to Hockey-IQ, Vision and hand-skills.
Radulov and Semin are better than Ovechkin? OV is a threat on the ice every second he is there. I know, he played a sub-par season. It was easily the worst season for him ever and he still managed to finish top-5 in goals.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:16 AM
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Radulov and Semin are better than Ovechkin? OV is a threat on the ice every second he is there. I know, he played a sub-par season. It was easily the worst season for him ever and he still managed to finish top-5 in goals.
Maybe with the Caps, where he's the face of the club. He's clearly the worst of the 6 when it comes to achievements with the "Sbornaja"

I agree his physical presence and will to score goals is impressive and world class, and his shot is pretty good. That are the main reasons for the early success in his carreer, IMO. But he has neither the hands nor the smarts nor the playmaking-skills of a Semin or Radulov. And he isn't as good a linemate for a highly skilled Centerman as the 2 others would be.
And the pure shot as well as the defensive game of Semin is clearly better. Not so sure about Radulov.

When Ovechkin doesn't play high-energy hockey, he isn't close to any of russias elite talent IMO... and energy level normaly goes down a bit with players getting older.

Of course, I'm biased cause I never liked him as a player... in opposite to Semin, who I think is heavily underrated.

duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:44 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Add a few more names to that list and combine their defensive skill and it might come close to Datsyuk's.

I swear I still don't get what the deal is with the hard-on this board has for Stamkos. A great offensive player? Yes, and yet he's still as one-way as Ovechkin he just hasn't had a slump like Ovy.

Crosby and Datsyuk are the two top forwards in the league. Then, at this point, Giroux and Malkin are right behind them.

And to be honest, Toews' name should be up pretty high as well.
Cocaine is a hell of a drug Crosby is MUCH MUCH worse defensively than Stamkos or Ovechkin

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:56 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
Cocaine is a hell of a drug Crosby is MUCH MUCH worse defensively than Stamkos or Ovechkin
Lysol's even better.

Despite not being able to gauge his defensive skills recently, it's universally accepted that Ovechkin had the defensive IQ of a bag of pucks.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:24 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Lysol's even better.

Despite not being able to gauge his defensive skills recently, it's universally accepted that Ovechkin had the defensive IQ of a bag of pucks.
Maybe so but Crosby rarely even attempts to defend, just look at how the Pens fell apart defensively this year

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Prattio

Quote:
Maybe so but Crosby rarely even attempts to defend, just look at how the Pens fell apart defensively this year
Thats a hilariously flawed argument. Outside of Jordan Staal Crosby is our best defensive center and he is and has been our number one faceoff man for 2 seasons. Yea Im sure Paul Martin, Orpik and Michaleks ****** play are all a result of crosbys poor defense. Ovi and Stamkos better? good one bro you must be doing something a little stronger than cocaine.

Prattio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 250
Close between Ovi and Kovi. You can't tell when Ovi will slump, or when Kovalchuk will surge. Or vice versa. Right now, Kovalchuk. The way he's played, too hard not too.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocashstyle View Post
Really? What choking?
That's the second reference to Kovalchuk choking. I don't get it.

Jack Donaghy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
you're really pushing this "crosby doesn't play d" agenda aren't you...

it's simply not true, but you're probably aware of that already. good luck in this campaign of yours.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Since Datsyuk is #1, and the second most valuable forward in the league after Crosby, I guess it's pretty obvious that Malkin would be #2.

Datsyuk
Malkin
Kovalchuk
Ovechkin

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:26 PM
billybudd

Fwiw

Quote:
I asked an NHL scout to rank the following four Russian stars recently, Ovechkin, Pavel Datsyuk, Evgeni Malkin and Ilya Kovalchuk. And he answered, "Really close between Datsyuk and Malkin, they’re 1a and 1b, then it’s Kovalchuk, and Ovechkin a distant fourth."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...lame-ovi-coach

It is worth noting that Datsyuk has been more susceptible to durability issues in recent years. Little nagging wear and tear injuries that seem to pop up all over.

Malkin's had some shoulder problems (that have been sorted out) and one freak knee injury, but that's about it. Datsyuk, more often than not) seems to just break down in one way or another as the season rolls along (might be a knee, might be a hand, might be a wrist, might be a hip).

In any event, I have Datsyuk second behind Malkin among Russians and believe him to be the third-best player in the league (though Stamkos and Tavares will continute to close ground as he ages).

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:07 PM
ReyHF
Neutral fan

Im surprised Datsyuk never surpassed Kovalchuk in this poll. I dont know if its because Kovy is still playing and people seem to forget how good Datsyuk really is. Mindboggling anyhow.

ReyHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:11 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Im surprised Datsyuk never surpassed Kovalchuk in this poll. I dont know if its because Kovy is still playing and people seem to forget how good Datsyuk really is. Mindboggling anyhow.
personally I voted for Kovalchuk instead of Datsyuk because of Datsyuk's durability issues of late(yeah he only missed 12 games this year but tons of the games he did play in he was playing through injuries and wasn't himself)

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Ovechkin

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Mr. T

Quote:
Wow, what an uninformed, clownish post.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote