HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

flyers dont want to win a cup?

Old
06-03-2012, 10:06 AM
toughfighter83*

vCash: 500
flyers dont want to win a cup?

besides carter and richards, why is every former flyer besides lindros winning a cup on another team but doesnt want to win here? money, favoritism, bad coaching, bad city? i just dont get it, im not saying the team doesnt want to win a cup, but some players on this team are always playing flat every year and play great the next year on a different team, i dont know maybe this team is never built to win a cup and other teams are.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:12 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Because our goaltending is horrific at worst and decent at best

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Flyers haven't put much stock in goaltending.

Look at what shines in the playoffs. Goaltending.

Can't really shine if you don't have a good goaltender.. Or at least a hot one

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

And THAT's why it's going to be a long summer, if the Kings should win.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:18 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
You have to play good team defense and the Flyers team defense has been one of the worst the past couple seasons in the league.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
You have to play good team defense and the Flyers team defense has been one of the worst the past couple seasons in the league.
What? Our defense has been pretty good the last few years, minus this year of course...

Unless you are including goaltending in defense

Old
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Psuhockey

The Flyers have not won the cup for 3 reasons: no respect for goaltending, no respect for developing defenseman, and no respect for the draft. I think the goaltending has finally sunk in. Sadly the other two have not yet. The will still try to get dmen by trades or free agency but the truly great ones are never available until past their prime. When was the last time the flyers drafted a dman like Doughty? They could of had John Carlson but wanted a more NHL ready guy in Eminger. I fear they will trade away their pick and some young talent for solid but unspectacular dmen at best this summer instead of building thru the draft.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:25 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
What? Our defense has been pretty good the last few years, minus this year of course...

It has? I know when Lavy took over for Stevens it was pretty good but after that season it has looked atrocious to me. The thing that hurt the most was losing our good defensive forwards like Betts/Powe/Lappy/Richards/Carter.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:

no he said "team" defense. thats different than just defense. I think our defense sucked this year tho too. so we were screwed either way. The kings deserve to win but i'm a long suffering flyers fan and this is almost too much to bear even tho i believed in the moves when they were made and even now as the kings are up 2 0 in the finals. I really think the flyers try so hard to make the right moves to win every year. you can't tell me otherwise. nobody stays in contention like we do but we always lose. it sucks so bad. but i'm hardcore. i love em and thats that. i'll be here til i die.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:32 AM
flyersfan187

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
no he said "team" defense. thats different than just defense. I think our defense sucked this year tho too. so we were screwed either way. The kings deserve to win but i'm a long suffering flyers fan and this is almost too much to bear even tho i believed in the moves when they were made and even now as the kings are up 2 0 in the finals. I really think the flyers try so hard to make the right moves to win every year. you can't tell me otherwise. nobody stays in contention like we do but we always lose. it sucks so bad. but i'm hardcore. i love em and thats that. i'll be here til i die.
That is one thing I love about this team. They always try to build a winner and never pull a Penguins and go for the top picks each year.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:50 AM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Everyone complains about not developing players and not trusting the draft, but in reality the whole fan base loves when the team baits away the JvR's, Sharps and Sbisa's.

If Brayden Schenn starts slow next year he'll be next.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Everyone complains about not developing players and not trusting the draft, but in reality the whole fan base loves when the team baits away the JvR's, Sharps and Sbisa's.

If Brayden Schenn starts slow next year he'll be next.
no he won't. sharp didn't become what he was til he left. sbisa was worth trading for pronger and jvr has been given lots of time to show more consistency and he hasn't. he gave us 1 good playoff run of 2 rounds one that was a sweep since we drafted him in 2007. its a business. you got to perform and at least show progress from year to year to not get stale in the minds of fans and management. there are players that have come here after underperforming for previous teams and played well too. john leclair comes to mind.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:40 AM
toughfighter83*

i think the thing is that the players like hartnell, briere, coburn, kimmo and jvr have been here for so long, that they probably get tired of playing here and they get traded to different team and get better because of better players on that team like LA, so what im saying is, in the offseason, i think the flyers management should do what detriot does to win cups, try not to overspend on years and money, keeping players for 2 to 3 years then get rid of them and get someone better rather than being stuck with a big contract.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Krishna

Players don't usually get 'tired' of a city and team and ask to be traded as you suggested..

Old
06-03-2012, 12:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
They don't win here because they don't want to? Really?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

you dont need an elite defensive group to win a Cup.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
They don't win here because they don't want to? Really?
Could explain Matt Carle's turnovers..

Trying to lose on purpose..

Old
06-03-2012, 12:29 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Do the Devils or Kings make the finals if the game is called the way it was called post lockout?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
i think the thing is that the players like hartnell, briere, coburn, kimmo and jvr have been here for so long, that they probably get tired of playing here and they get traded to different team and get better because of better players on that team like LA, so what im saying is, in the offseason, i think the flyers management should do what detriot does to win cups, try not to overspend on years and money, keeping players for 2 to 3 years then get rid of them and get someone better rather than being stuck with a big contract.
I must be reading this wrong... We should do like Detroit and not hand out long contracts and keeping guys around for more than 3 years? Lidström, Kronwall, Stuart, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmström, Franzén, Cleary, Filppula... If there is one organization who seems to like roster consistency, it's the Red Wings.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Do the Devils or Kings make the finals if the game is called the way it was called post lockout?
Actually, I'd argue that the game is called closer to a pre-lockout style once the playoffs come around with the only exception now being bigger hits, particularly to the head. Officials are, or at least appear to be, more cautious about calling things like stick infractions, holds, trips, and interferences. A lot of what made the DPE is recreated in the postseason; this mentality of "it matters more, so lets be patient and make SURE every call is right or has the right timing."

Fans love the "just let them play" mentality, but honestly, it hurts teams like the Flyers.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:23 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
interference, interference everywhere

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Not sure if OP is serious.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:31 PM
pughater

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
besides carter and richards, why is every former flyer besides lindros winning a cup on another team but doesnt want to win here? money, favoritism, bad coaching, bad city? i just dont get it, im not saying the team doesnt want to win a cup, but some players on this team are always playing flat every year and play great the next year on a different team, i dont know maybe this team is never built to win a cup and other teams are.
i wouldnt say every former flyer. Randy Jones hasnt won crap!

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pughater View Post
i wouldnt say every former flyer. Randy Jones hasnt won crap!
He doesn't want to win. That's why.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:37 PM
pughater

Quote:
He doesn't want to win. That's why.
nor does he want to play.

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote