HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Goalie Dilemna

View Poll Results: How should the jackets resolve their goalie dilemna?
Sign the 2 best UFA's available 16 28.07%
Sign a UFA & re-sign Sanford 24 42.11%
Insist on a starting goalie as part of the Nash trade 9 15.79%
Trade for Luongo exclusive of Nash deal 7 12.28%
Trade for a goalie other than in a Nash or Luongo deal 15 26.32%
Other 10 17.54%
Draft both Subban and Dansk if available 11 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2012, 10:07 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashPF61 View Post
no to any goalie over 30. mason is the starter for another year and enters his prime , moore+2nd overall to edm for 1, nail gets the calder , atkinson and johansen have career years , nash is still wearing his C because trading him is the opposite of right , we still suck but the future is bright.

Methot=next captain
Hmm.... That's umm, an interesting thought process?

Old
05-28-2012, 10:43 PM
NashPF61

anton forsberg is also a steal , why even scout NA goalies these euro kids are stopping slapshots from bantams at pewee. also , throw in LA's 1st and one of our russian Dman for grabner, both sides satisfied.

Old
05-28-2012, 10:50 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Hmm.... That's umm, an interesting thought process?
Are you questioning whether that's interesting or if it is actually a thought process?

Old
05-29-2012, 04:23 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkbox View Post
which goalie do you think they would want to move more / faster though ? Rask or Thomas ...?

hard decision in my mind ...

I believe this deal may be Lucic + Rask + pick ? for Nash + Mason

The Bruins would not likely want a goalie back in trade for either Rask or Thomas.

They have Anton Khudobin signed to a one way contract for 2012-13 and he would be the back-up goaltender in Boston.

Old
05-29-2012, 06:15 AM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Are you questioning whether that's interesting or if it is actually a thought process?
You know, I honestly couldn't tell you..

Old
06-01-2012, 11:49 AM
JacketsFanWest

Goalie Frederik Andersen turned down an ELC offer from Carolina because he doesn't want to get stuck playing for years in the AHL and sees no immediate chance to play for the Hurricanes (http://tv2sport.dk/andersen-takker-nej-til-nhl-kontrakt - in Danish).

He's 22 and played pretty well for Denmark at the WC and had very good stats for Frölunda in the SEL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15205

If the Jackets want a prospect to replace Corbeil, Andersen would be a good choice. He's a free agent now since he's too old for the draft. He's not ready for the NHL and has one year left with his contract with Frölunda, but has NHL starter potential. Frölunda has produced some good goalies, including Henrik Lundqvist.

Old
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Goalie Frederik Andersen turned down an ELC offer from Carolina because he doesn't want to get stuck playing for years in the AHL and sees no immediate chance to play for the Hurricanes (http://tv2sport.dk/andersen-takker-nej-til-nhl-kontrakt - in Danish).

He's 22 and played pretty well for Denmark at the WC and had very good stats for Frölunda in the SEL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15205

If the Jackets want a prospect to replace Corbeil, Andersen would be a good choice. He's a free agent now since he's too old for the draft. He's not ready for the NHL and has one year left with his contract with Frölunda, but has NHL starter potential. Frölunda has produced some good goalies, including Henrik Lundqvist.
Trying to remember who else I know who's played for Frolunda. I thought it was Norrena, but I checked and he was apparently at Linkoping.

EDIT: Huselius, apparently. I thought I was remembering a goaltender. Nevermind.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Rumor is Thomas is thinking of taking a sabbatical from hockey.

It's enough to remove him from my wishlist. Too many red flags.

06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Rumor is Thomas is thinking of taking a sabbatical from hockey.

It's enough to remove him from my wishlist. Too many red flags.
A sanbatical from hockey at age 39 does not sound like a very encouraging career path. Should he return, I'm sure someone will chance it, but I hope it's not the Jackets.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:37 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
The Bruins told him he may get traded to Columbus and he said "you know what, **** it, family time"

Old
06-01-2012, 08:51 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
The Bruins told him he may get traded to Columbus and he said "you know what, **** it, family time"
I'd believe it.

Old
06-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
I'd believe it too... or a run for office.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:16 PM
DoggyII

I was listening to the sports talk radio up here and they were discussing the TT predicament. It was suggested the Bruins might take a third rounder for him but they were sending up all kinds of red flags.

After the Jeff Carter debacle last year...no way Howson risks anything on a guy who might be less than 100% thrilled to be in Columbus.

Old
06-01-2012, 09:55 PM
eljefe72

Quote:
That would be real funny if it weren't so plausible.

Old
06-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
I know this is high comedy because it pokes fun at the CBJ, but I wouldn't be surprised that the trade speculation in general might have caused him to consider a "break."

Old
06-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Funny thing is that, a week ago when I suggested a Bruins/CBJ trade might involve an additional first-rounder as a hedge against Thomas possibly retiring, I was called an idiot by a bunch of Bostonites because Thomas would never leave money on the table and never retire abruptly.

Now who's wicked smaht, ya bean-guzzling chowdah-heads?

Old
06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Funny thing is that, a week ago when I suggested a Bruins/CBJ trade might involve an additional first-rounder as a hedge against Thomas possibly retiring, I was called an idiot by a bunch of Bostonites because Thomas would never leave money on the table and never retire abruptly.

Now who's wicked smaht, ya bean-guzzling chowdah-heads?
I did not read those posts but if true you nailed it Mayor... Keep up the rational and on the mark posts and we will be forced to change your handle to CBJ Governor..

Old
06-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I'd believe it too... or a run for office.
Maybe Mitt Romney secretly asked him to be his running mate.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:45 AM
JacketsFanWest

Looks like Frederik Andersen will be re-entering the draft, even though he's turning 23. With both Andersen and Corbeil added to the draft, that gives even more goalies for teams to consider, especially those looking for more immediate help. It'll be a pretty deep draft for goalies. I'd like to see the Jackets draft a high end prospect and take a chance on a longer-term project in the later rounds.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:29 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Looks like Frederik Andersen will be re-entering the draft, even though he's turning 23. With both Andersen and Corbeil added to the draft, that gives even more goalies for teams to consider, especially those looking for more immediate help. It'll be a pretty deep draft for goalies. I'd like to see the Jackets draft a high end prospect and take a chance on a longer-term project in the later rounds.
Seems like a good strategy to build some goalie depth.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:32 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I know this is high comedy because it pokes fun at the CBJ, but I wouldn't be surprised that the trade speculation in general might have caused him to consider a "break."
Yeah, but its not like the pool of teams that would need his services would be all that great at this point. Not many competitive teams would bring him in as a backup, even for only one season, when they can go a cheaper option and put more towards forwards or defense. Where could he start immediately? Not likely a team thats just a "player away". I don't mean to make it sound like this, but the CBJ might be the only team "dumb" enough to part with anything of value for Thomas anyways at this point.

The cynic in me immediately thought that he got wind that his name is linked to Columbus and he decided it was time. The fact that he's talking about a sabbatical and not retirement tells me that, even though it may change, he still wants to play, just not under his current deal and I ask myself, why not?

I don't doubt that you're theory is, at its core, the main reason as I am agreeing with you, put taking it step further, I just think that the potential for the aforementioned "trade to columbus, I'm sitting out for at least a season" can't be utterly dismissed, certainly not when everyone in the league knows the CBJ are probably the weakest team in net in all the league.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Yeah, but its not like the pool of teams that would need his services would be all that great at this point. Not many competitive teams would bring him in as a backup, even for only one season, when they can go a cheaper option and put more towards forwards or defense. Where could he start immediately? Not likely a team thats just a "player away". I don't mean to make it sound like this, but the CBJ might be the only team "dumb" enough to part with anything of value for Thomas anyways at this point.

The cynic in me immediately thought that he got wind that his name is linked to Columbus and he decided it was time. The fact that he's talking about a sabbatical and not retirement tells me that, even though it may change, he still wants to play, just not under his current deal and I ask myself, why not?

I don't doubt that you're theory is, at its core, the main reason as I am agreeing with you, put taking it step further, I just think that the potential for the aforementioned "trade to columbus, I'm sitting out for at least a season" can't be utterly dismissed, certainly not when everyone in the league knows the CBJ are probably the weakest team in net in all the league.
I call bull****. I'm not interested in these sorts of conspiracy theories. If y'all want to go and whine about how we earned it because we dressed provocatively walking through the park had a ****** season, that's fine, but do it by yourselves and on your own time rather than spreading it around and trying to claim it's a reasonable theory.

I am SO. DAMN. TIRED. of this line. SICK OF IT.

Don't you people have any self-respect?

Old
06-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I call bull****. I'm not interested in these sorts of conspiracy theories. If y'all want to go and whine about how we earned it because we dressed provocatively walking through the park had a ****** season, that's fine, but do it by yourselves and on your own time rather than spreading it around and trying to claim it's a reasonable theory.

You don't have to read the boards if you don't like what anyone is saying.

What do you expect for the worst team in the NHL's fans to say?

If anything, you guys are too nice regarding the team.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:07 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

None, but some must have a sense of humor (kind of a requisite for being a jackets fan)

Old
06-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
You don't have to read the boards if you don't like what anyone is saying.

What do you expect for the worst team in the NHL's fans to say?
I'd expect that folks not be dwelling endlessly on the result, rubbing their own noses in it, and holding it up as the exemplar of all that we are.

We had a crap season. Damn near everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. **** happens. Get over it already. Some of us are busy trying to look to the future so that next season isn't equally crap, and that's not helped by this "woe is us we're so dooooomed" garbage being bandied about as though it's some sort of realistic logical argument.

Are you a Dorsett or a Carter? Will you stand up, brush it off, and keep going, or are you going to sit there and whine until the world magically falls into your lap?

Closed Thread