HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 - Has it been announced ?

Old
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Joe Lamb

vCash: 500
2012-13 - Has it been announced ?

Haven't seen anything on the boards about the 2012-13 salary cap , but CapGeek has it at 70.3 million . Did I miss something or just speculation on CapGeek's part ?

Joe Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:41 AM
7th Player

Those are the rumors:

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...23705372295169

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:01 PM
BLONG7

70.3 is the supposed ceiling, which would make the floor around 50M?

Wow...the problem seems to be that only about half of the teams are making money...and the owners and GM's can't seem to help themselves from spending like crazy...but if the revenue is there, then so be it...it's up to the league and the PA to figure out how to share it....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
From what I read around the boards is that even if the cap goes up next season, their is a high chance it goes down the following year.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post

Wow...the problem seems to be that only about half of the teams are making money...and the owners and GM's can't seem to help themselves from spending like crazy...but if the revenue is there, then so be it...it's up to the league and the PA to figure out how to share it....
54mil.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
From what I read around the boards is that even if the cap goes up next season, their is a high chance it goes down the following year.
Well the cap numbers are based on players' share on NHL hockey revenues. Today players' share is I believe around 56% of all hockey related revenues which (when divided by 30 teams) give that forecast of 70.3M$ next season.

Problem is when the CBA will be negociated next season, the owners will want to bring that share closer to 48-50%, like the NFL and NBA. That's why it might drop significantly next year.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lamb View Post
Haven't seen anything on the boards about the 2012-13 salary cap , but CapGeek has it at 70.3 million . Did I miss something or just speculation on CapGeek's part ?
That is where the cap would end up under the current CBA. Which has expired. As the new one has yet to be negotiated, what the actual cap will be is completely unknown.

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Captain Saku

I believe the NHL won't be able to lower the players share below 55%. So this will lower the cap to around 68 millions. It's still high and a lot of teams will struggle to reach the floor but I hope they don't change the margin between the floor and the cap, it would completely kill the purpose of a salary cap.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post

The "poorer" clubs can't complain. Being that the top ten (financially stable ones) fund the lower ten. Reaching the floor shouldn't be an issue.

Because, if it is, s--t might hit the fan. Here's why. For example, what if and owner - from one of the wealthier organizations - finally snaps and states, "Since the lockout, I've given these smaller markets $_________. Gary, what has changed in seven years? We have the same problem(s)!"

If you ask me. A 70+ mil salary cap is purely speculation (by Cap Geek) and is tad too high. The NHL still has issues to even consider increasing it beyond 3- 4 mil.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:42 PM
gunners14henry

If teams will struggle to reach the cap floor, we can always send gomez who has a low salary along with his high cap hit

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:45 PM
AntonCH

take away Atlanta's losses and add Winnipeg's gains combined with a strong canadian dollar and I see an increase in the cap.
Probably all for naught as the CBA issues loom with no idea what either side is thinking.

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Takashi

http://tricolore.ca/chfans/content.p...e-cap-salarial

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:39 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakiHaque View Post
Linking that site

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Chet-Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunners14henry View Post
If teams will struggle to reach the cap floor, we can always send gomez who has a low salary along with his high cap hit
That would be reason to throw a outdoor bash! Funny how some of the struggling clubs would like to eliminate the option of the richer teams demoting heavy contracts to the AHL (e.g. Rangers - Redden, Oilers - Souray, Leafs - Finger).

It would make more sense to send Gomez to Hamilton. You wipe out his entire 7.3 mil cap hit. Scotty "only" had 10 mil owing to him over the next two seasons. A buyout is double the length of the remaining term.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:53 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lamb View Post
I believe that would be the new ceiling based on the current CBA and last year's league revenue.

If the new CBA changes the % of the revenue that goes to the player, that number becomes moot.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
And we hear that e-v-e-r-y single year.

Do you understand how the cap works? Do you understand how the escrow account works? Do you understand what the cap is based on? Do you know that the NHL has increased revenues (and profit) and attendance every single year since the new CBA. Do you know that if a new CBA is created with a new set of rules and hypothetically, a lower revenue share for the players, that it would be extremely foolish to not cut back salaries across the board to fit the new standard?

There's high chance you're just too full of yourself to even look up these things and learn them. Like the rest of our society, you have 'learned' by copying, by memory, instead of what society should strive for, which is teaching children to learn by themselves, by observation, to guide them in that process, but authority is important in a stratified dynamic, to keep those in power, and to maintain authority, you need people to copy, not observe, to trust the authority, rather than their own eyes. So you're usual mode of operation, like most people, is to repeat what you've heard from those you consider in a position of authority. Yet, most of them are clueless, because like everyone else, they repeat what they've heard. Oh, they might be right, but they're just repeating what they've heard. Too few people actually have had the childhood environment and factors that have made them observe more than they copy. This is not to diss you, it's an observation I've made over all those years where I've learned by myself by observing, rather than trusting authority. I hope you take what's good from this (the annunciation of a truth), but I don't expect you to.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Player View Post
Well the cap numbers are based on players' share on NHL hockey revenues. Today players' share is I believe around 56% of all hockey related revenues which (when divided by 30 teams) give that forecast of 70.3M$ next season.

Problem is when the CBA will be negociated next season, the owners will want to bring that share closer to 48-50%, like the NFL and NBA. That's why it might drop significantly next year.
But the salaries themselves will be cut back across the board, there's no other way around it, so the point is moot, because percentage-wise, the proportions will still be the same, and the market will also respond accordingly.

Also, from everything I've read, the 50% mark is what the media are supposing the league wants, but it seems that owners are looking more at garanteed contracts and softening up the buyout rules, which would have players more responsible vs their performances. From all the sources I've read, this seems to be the main contention from the owners.

The 50% from the NBA was a necessary, inevitable measure for them, as the league were in the red. I don't think the NHL owners will be able to convince the players to do the same. They don't have the arguments to support it, and the 'other leagues' argument is just silly. Players already conceded 24% of total revenues just 7 years ago. This year, they've finally reached the same total amount of revenues they took the year before the lockout (around 1,6 bil). Fehr will never let that pass. But buyouts? He won't have many arguments on his side, considering all the data of player performances vs salary, and he also knows that buyouts are much less costly on their share of total revenues than accepting a 7% cut back (50% vs 57%) as the bought out player can go right back on the open market.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Burke the Legend

Its not like there's serious solidarity on the board of governers. Although it's good at the end of the day if all teams are doing well because it avoids relocation/bankruptcy headaches and improves national TV ratings, what does Mike Illich or Ted Dolan give a crap about Charles Wangs' problems meeting the cap floor or if he's losing money? As long as they are making money and their franchise values are increasing they don't care about Wang's problems, if anything they like the way it improves the chances of their teams making the playoffs each season.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
And we hear that e-v-e-r-y single year.

Do you understand how the cap works? Do you understand how the escrow account works? Do you understand what the cap is based on? Do you know that the NHL has increased revenues (and profit) and attendance every single year since the new CBA. Do you know that if a new CBA is created with a new set of rules and hypothetically, a lower revenue share for the players, that it would be extremely foolish to not cut back salaries across the board to fit the new standard?

There's high chance you're just too full of yourself to even look up these things and learn them. Like the rest of our society, you have 'learned' by copying, by memory, instead of what society should strive for, which is teaching children to learn by themselves, by observation, to guide them in that process, but authority is important in a stratified dynamic, to keep those in power, and to maintain authority, you need people to copy, not observe, to trust the authority, rather than their own eyes. So you're usual mode of operation, like most people, is to repeat what you've heard from those you consider in a position of authority. Yet, most of them are clueless, because like everyone else, they repeat what they've heard. Oh, they might be right, but they're just repeating what they've heard. Too few people actually have had the childhood environment and factors that have made them observe more than they copy. This is not to diss you, it's an observation I've made over all those years where I've learned by myself by observing, rather than trusting authority. I hope you take what's good from this (the annunciation of a truth), but I don't expect you to.
It is surprising however that the NHL is doing so well as a business.

An increase from 65 to 71 million is a 9% increase in total revenue, which cannot possibly be due to the move of Atlanta to Winipeg as there are 30 teams in the league.

A 9% revenue increase, in a year when the Canadian dollar was flat, and the US economy is in a recession.

Is it related to those empty seats I see at baseball stadiums everytime I see baseball recaps on TV?

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It is surprising however that the NHL is doing so well as a business.

An increase from 65 to 71 million is a 9% increase in total revenue, which cannot possibly be due to the move of Atlanta to Winipeg as there are 30 teams in the league.

A 9% revenue increase, in a year when the Canadian dollar was flat, and the US economy is in a recession.

Is it related to those empty seats I see at baseball stadiums everytime I see baseball recaps on TV?
TSN numbers and NHL numbers have total league-wide attendance at 95% in the last season. New TV contract that started this season. And turning losses into profit with Winnipeg, growing the already huge Canadian market share, just in time for some big TV contracts to be renewed this North of the border in the next 2-3 years.

They usually only have the attendance going up.