HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Galchenyuk - Sarnia Sting, OHL (2012 draft) (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

vCash: 500
Sheesh, so many defensive and mad Habs fans around here. U guys lose your temper due to someone making a simple claim.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Care to explain why you see the Habs doing this?
Just my feelings. It maybe seem bold to u guys, but I have my own way of things.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:09 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Just my feelings. It maybe seem bold to u guys, but I have my own way of things.
So a Leafs fan who wants Galchenyuk, has a gut feeling the rival habs won't take Galchenyuk beforehand? Gotcha.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
So a Leafs fan who wants Galchenyuk, has a gut feeling the rival habs won't take Galchenyuk beforehand? Gotcha.
Yes, and I guess we will find out come draft day. If Gally does indeed get drafted by Habs, I will keep a Habs avatar of Gally as my profile picture for one entire year.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
That guy sure wants Gally.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Yes, and I guess we will find out come draft day. If Gally does indeed get drafted by Habs, I will keep a Habs avatar of Gally as my profile picture for one entire year.
We are witnesses here. Bettet but a Gally with his Habs jersey on as your avatar for 1 year

Old
06-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Care to explain why you see the Habs doing this?
He probably thinks the Habs have a couple players ranked ahead of Galchenyuk, it not a ridiculous thought. Drafting a player in the top 3 or top 5 that has already missed an entire year due to a knee injury is pretty risky.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:25 PM
duli12345

Galchenyuk I think is up there with Nail in terms of quality injury or not. He should go number 2 but probably will not. I don't see him getting past 3. Habs need top 6ers with size and potential and a C BADLY.

none of the top Canadian Dman like Murray or Dumba took as big a step as expected forward.

Forsberg the same over in sweden, and Greko looks soft and lazy and a PRIME KHL candidate to me unless he makes an NHL team right away.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
senators4life
TurrisRyanKarlsson

Quote:
Again, I have my own opinion and take, I have said countless times that I see Habs passing on him or trading down.

Wishful thinking/gut feeling or not, this is simply my take on the whole scenario.

It's obviously wishful thinking on your part. There is nothing out there suggesting that MTL would pass on the kid especially with a fully recovered knee and a successful combine. I think he will be going either to Columbus or MTL.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Sheesh, so many defensive and mad Habs fans around here. U guys lose your temper due to someone making a simple claim.
Sadly, there are, but I'm not one of them. I understand your claim, but with this being our highest pick since 1980, I highly doubt Montreal trades down, but I'm not Marc Bergevin so I don't know what will happen. My own gut feeling is that we stay at 3rd OV and draft either Galchenyuk or take a "gamble" on Grigorenko.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:34 PM
duli12345

Heck even if I was Edmonton and think they could get Beaulieu/Tinordi out of this I would not mind swaping picks with the Habs if I could get Galchenyuk.

They will need a top 2nd line C a lot more than another high flying winger. You get Beaulieu too and it is a no brainer.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Sometimes I wish the draft would just go

Yakupov
Teravainen
Murray
Rielly
Trouba
Dumba
Forsberg
Galchenyuk
Grigorenko

etc. just to make all these people making guarantees look dumb. The draft never goes the way you expect it to.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by duli12345 View Post
Galchenyuk I think is up there with Nail in terms of quality injury or not. He should go number 2 but probably will not. I don't see him getting past 3. Habs need top 6ers with size and potential and a C BADLY.

none of the top Canadian Dman like Murray or Dumba took as big a step as expected forward.

Forsberg the same over in sweden, and Greko looks soft and lazy and a PRIME KHL candidate to me unless he makes an NHL team right away.
And Galchenyuk did?

Not really directed at you, but people forget losing a year of development at that age is a big deal.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:16 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
And Galchenyuk did?

Not really directed at you, but people forget losing a year of development at that age is a big deal.
Leafs fans are in that boat as well. Gally could fall to the Jets for all we know. Couturier fell pretty far and he had a good healthy season. We don't know what could happen. I wish we did. I REALLY wish we did.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick Six View Post
And Galchenyuk did?

you should email timmins or bergevin. perhaps they will listen to you

Old
06-03-2012, 02:34 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Burke and co. are keen on Gally.

I think we'll move up to 2 and grab him.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
we already have two second round picks and three more next year. we don't want another one to move out of the top 3. understand?

LOL @ fans who confuse what THEY think with what their TEAM thinks. Dude, you truly have no idea what your team is planning (none of us fans do), so just sit back and relax a little ...

Old
06-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
LOL @ fans who confuse what THEY think with what their TEAM thinks. Dude, you truly have no idea what your team is planning (none of us fans do), so just sit back and relax a little ...
i am relaxed it was response to the mind readers that want the habs' gm to switch the pick for another second rounder. which won't happen. this thread has become about leaf fans' agonizing uncertainty of what bergevin will do...and habs will have first choice before the leafs of grigo/gal/fors

face it unless burke gives up assets, which i'm curious to see what they'll be because leafs have no 3rd or 4th rounder...leafs will stay at 5

Old
06-03-2012, 04:32 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Alex Galchenyuk, who was born in Milwaukee but had dual U.S/Russian citizenship, said on Friday at the draft combine he no longer possesses a Russian passport.

“I just have my American passport now, and it was my decision all the way. My dad said to make the decision that makes me comfortable. I felt comfortable about USA Hockey and how they treat the players. I consider myself an American.”
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19828571.html

Should make the path to Alex playing for Team USA a bit more clear (although the soon-to-be-announced WJC Camp roster will shed more light). Should have hedged my statement though because with the IIHF, you never know.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 06-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19828571.html

Should be no issues about Alex playing for Team USA.
But the IIHF rule that says you must have at least 2 years of living and/or playing hockey after the age of 10 in the country you want to represent still exists...even Galchenyuk himself tweeted after the U-18 he wasn't eligible due to IIHF rules.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:57 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
But the IIHF rule that says you must have at least 2 years of living and/or playing hockey after the age of 10 in the country you want to represent still exists...even Galchenyuk himself tweeted after the U-18 he wasn't eligible due to IIHF rules.
The rule doesn't actually mention the bolded part. And the rule you're probably referring to (Section 205: 1.7) only refers to dual citizens. Alex is no longer a dual citizen.

The only other rule that could, given this new development, possibly hamper this would be Section 205: 1.6:

Quote:
1.6 When a player has changed his citizenship or has acquired or has surrendered another citizenship and wants to participate for the first time in an IIHF competition and represent his new country he must

a) have an IIHF international transfer card that was approved and dated by the IIHF at least two years before the start of the championship in which he wishes to participate, and

b) he must prove that he has participated for at least two consecutive years in the national competitions of and resident in his new country during which period he has neither transferred to another country nor played ice hockey within any other country.
Now obviously this rule is open to interpretation by the IIHF, and they intentionally make this vague on purpose, but I don't see why they'd classify the USA as a "new" country for the purposes of the rules. Sounds more like it's intended for those that abandon their longstanding singular citizenship to then acquire citizenship elsewhere to represent their "new" country.

I do remember that Alex tweet and it wasn't too long after he first said he wasn't playing because they take the NTDP squad. He may have just assumed that because of the Matteau situation? Or him giving up his Russian passport may be a new development.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
The rule doesn't actually mention the bolded part. And the rule you're probably referring to (Section 205: 1.7) only refers to dual citizens. Alex is no longer a dual citizen.
This is where the belief it was after 10 years old started:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=626301

Quote:
Matteau, who is regarded as one of the top North American skaters eligible for the 2012 NHL Draft, is the son of former NHL player Stephane Matteau. According to Kevin Allen of USA Today, the ruling is based on the fact Matteau hasn't played two consecutive seasons in the U.S. after the age of 10.
Possibly Kevin Allen screwed up...

It does seem like he'd be eligible now considering the 1.6 doesn't apply to him.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:09 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
This is where the belief started:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=626301

Possibly Kevin Allen screwed up...
Yeah, and Allen was the only one to really report that so who knows. It's hard to say because the IIHF Statutes and Bylaws doesn't say anything about that. But it's possible they just decided to "overrule" the rule book due to what they felt were special circumstances. With the IIHF it's hard to say.

And given all that, I shouldn't have been so sure on my statement in regards to Alex. This whole situation, along with Matteau's, has been a mess.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Sometimes I wish the draft would just go

Yakupov
Teravainen
Murray
Rielly
Trouba
Dumba
Forsberg
Galchenyuk
Grigorenko

etc. just to make all these people making guarantees look dumb. The draft never goes the way you expect it to.
This.

To be honest, drafting Murray wouldn't upset me.

I just think and I believe even Bruins fans and Leaf fans and any hockey fan would think habs would take Forsberg, Gally, or Grigs.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:10 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Dude, Montreal may not even have a chance to draft Galchenyuk. He may be drafted by Columbus. IMHO, Galchenyuk will be picked in the top 3.

Closed Thread