HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 10:16 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Its the whole myth that the Oilers NEED a number 1 D and thus, the need by some fans to justify and rationalize drafting Murray. The Oilers getting a number 1 D is great but that doesn't necessarily fix the team overnight. I'd rather draft Yakupov and then just fill out D with balanced set of players adept at certain situations [offense/defense]. I reckon the forwards may just be talented enough to score more than the the Oilers let in.
This, plus I also think a strong offense has the ability to make puck moving defensemen look better than they are.

Kovulchuk and Parise don't need an elite puck moving d-man. The carolina team that beat us with Pronger, Spacek and Smith all playing the best hockey of their careers, did not need a #1 d-man.

We're going to have a very interesting offense (assuming that we draft Yakupov) that strong defensive teams will have nightmare's with. One shift, you'll have a pair that can outthink you in Eberle and RNH. The next shift, you have a pair that can outskate and outwill you in Hall and Yakupov.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:49 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Bob Mckenzie (on Yakupov) - "You talk to the vast majority of scouts, they will tell you that he is CLEARLY the best player available in this draft!"

Old
06-03-2012, 10:57 AM
Seachd

Apparently Yakupov has created quite a ****storm with his "I'm Muslim, I'm not Russian" comments Friday.

Sounds like Russian sites/boards were none too pleased to hear that.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Haha. This kid, I love him:

I already love yak

Old
06-03-2012, 11:18 AM
oilers24

The Oilers must draft Nail Yakupov. As Bob Mac says he is cearly the best player in the draft.

Regarding Jim Matheson's new paper article that is beyond terrible journalism. I don't understand his logic of philosophy in quoting the guy who put us in this mess in the first place. KP is the reason why we finished out of the playoffs 6 years running with his terrible drafting. Hey Jim my first question for KP would be so Kevin how about Parise? Alex Plante at 15? no RNH on the world junior team yet he is a #1 pick? Its proven that KP is not a good judge of talent and our results in the standings show this.

I just don't understand the logic, lets leave the best talent on the draft table to take a need of less skills and i would say value. Currently we have some spare parts up from who may or may not be impact players in the league i.e. Sam Gagner and Paajarvii, should we add Yakupov he is and will be better then Sam and Magnus and its fairly apparent. So if we package up Sam, Magnus, 2013 2nd to me that is a very nice package to get a quality d man. It would be a tough loss to loose Magnus and Sam up from but with adding Yakupov we are better at forward and with the trade package sent out we are better on the back end.

I listened to Tambo interview on sportsnet on the FAN 590 and I will paraphrase he said fans need to remember the Oilers roster has a need of defense, however that is not necessarly the need when drafting.

I am beyond excited to watch Nail in Oct. His passion, energy, desire, looking forward to it.

Put it this way if we do not select Nail Yakupov with the #1 pick (unless we move it in a trade for a quality package) I start cheering for the Hartford Whalers. Book It!

Old
06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
If we trade down and draft Murray while acquiring a decent asset or two, I can live with it. If we draft Murray first overall, i'm not watching the team until tambo and Lowe are fired

Old
06-03-2012, 11:26 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

lol @ Matheson's article

in 2010, he said the Oilers should go with Seguin cause it's was too close between Taylor and Tyler, so "go with the centerman"

last year, he was on the Larsson bandwagon

let's hope he's wrong for the 3rd straight year

Old
06-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers24 View Post
The Oilers must draft Nail Yakupov. As Bob Mac says he is cearly the best player in the draft.

Regarding Jim Matheson's new paper article that is beyond terrible journalism. I don't understand his logic of philosophy in quoting the guy who put us in this mess in the first place. KP is the reason why we finished out of the playoffs 6 years running with his terrible drafting. Hey Jim my first question for KP would be so Kevin how about Parise? Alex Plante at 15? no RNH on the world junior team yet he is a #1 pick? Its proven that KP is not a good judge of talent and our results in the standings show this.

I just don't understand the logic, lets leave the best talent on the draft table to take a need of less skills and i would say value. Currently we have some spare parts up from who may or may not be impact players in the league i.e. Sam Gagner and Paajarvii, should we add Yakupov he is and will be better then Sam and Magnus and its fairly apparent. So if we package up Sam, Magnus, 2013 2nd to me that is a very nice package to get a quality d man. It would be a tough loss to loose Magnus and Sam up from but with adding Yakupov we are better at forward and with the trade package sent out we are better on the back end.

I listened to Tambo interview on sportsnet on the FAN 590 and I will paraphrase he said fans need to remember the Oilers roster has a need of defense, however that is not necessarly the need when drafting.

I am beyond excited to watch Nail in Oct. His passion, energy, desire, looking forward to it.

Put it this way if we do not select Nail Yakupov with the #1 pick (unless we move it in a trade for a quality package) I start cheering for the Hartford Whalers. Book It!
Thanks for posting this. Good to hear these comments from Tambo.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Haha. This kid, I love him:

Like others have said, this guy stands out big time. It's like he just leaps out of the picture.

And to put everyones worries to rest, Yaks is wearing Oiler colors in the pic.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:42 AM
hockeyaddict101

The funny thing to me is that Murray's scouting reports do not even ring number 1 dman.

Steady, good skater, ok offensively

To me Murray is being overhyped.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Like others have said, this guy stands out big time. It's like he just leaps out of the picture.

And to put everyones worries to rest, Yaks is wearing Oiler colors in the pic.
Blue and grey?

Old
06-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Blue and grey?
Just the blue part...OK...I was stretching

Old
06-03-2012, 12:03 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Blue and grey?
haha. I was going to comment on that.

Sudbury Wolves?

Old
06-03-2012, 12:16 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Apparently Yakupov has created quite a ****storm with his "I'm Muslim, I'm not Russian" comments Friday.

Whats the big deal? He was trying to say that ethnically he's not Russian - he is'nt. He's Tartar-Muslim not an ethnic Russian. He was being asked a million times "You are Russian, how do we know you wont go back to play in the KHL". Well yeah his passport is for the Russian Federation, but his cultural and ethnic identity are most definitly not Russian.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

if yakupov is not picked then we deserve to finish last forever

Old
06-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Ramrod
Happily outscoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Whats the big deal? He was trying to say that ethnically he's not Russian - he is'nt. He's Tartar-Muslim not an ethnic Russian. He was being asked a million times "You are Russian, how do we know you wont go back to play in the KHL". Well yeah his passport is for the Russian Federation, but his cultural and ethnic identity are most definitly not Russian.
No different than a French Canadian saying they are Québecois.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:01 PM
franfrey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
No different than a French Canadian saying they are Québecois.
Exactly. And I'm sure those comments pissed off quite a few Russians. But we'll all forget about it soon enough.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
The funny thing to me is that Murray's scouting reports do not even ring number 1 dman.

Yep...like I said in the comments section of Matty's article, when I hear the justifications given from people about why the Oilers need to pick Murray 1st overall, they come across as being excuses rather than reasons to do so.

He would've been fortunate to be picked even in the top 5 of last year's draft (which he was only less than 2 weeks away in age from being a part of), yet we're supposed to swallow him being a viable 1st overall pick in THIS draft? I have a hard time buying that the 2012 draft is THAT weak.

Like I and others before me have said, IMO he's not even the best dman in this draft class. I'd pick Morgan Reilly and even Griffin Reinhart over him.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:

Well he burned his bridges back home so even more reason for him to stay on this side of the pond That said if I were Russian I wouldn't care for that statement, yes he is Muslim and Tatar but he was born and raised in Russia, so why not be both? Obviously in his case his religious beliefs would take precedent over his nationality, but unless Tatar's have been oppressed in Russia, why the need to denounce your country of birth like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post

IMO from what little I've seen he seems like a shorter but stockier version of Cam Fowler, a fine defenseman, however not a Doughty-esque talent, and that's what it would take for me to consider taking a defenseman 1st overall over Nail.

06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Well he burned his bridges back home so even more reason for him to stay on this side of the pond That said if I were Russian I wouldn't care for that statement, yes he is Muslim and Tatar but he was born and raised in Russia, so why not be both?
Agreed. I can see why Russians might not like that he said it.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Yep...like I said in the comments section of Matty's article, when I hear the justifications given from people about why the Oilers need to pick Murray 1st overall, they come across as being excuses rather than reasons to do so.

He would've been fortunate to be picked even in the top 5 of last year's draft (which he was only less than 2 weeks away in age from being a part of), yet we're supposed to swallow him being a viable 1st overall pick in THIS draft? I have a hard time buying that the 2012 draft is THAT weak.

Like I and others before me have said, IMO he's not even the best dman in this draft class. I'd pick Morgan Reilly and even Griffin Reinhart over him.
Maybe it was harder to gauge his play because of how bad his team was, but "safe" at 1st overall is looking for failure. If I were the Oilers I'd take Nail and then try to acquire a #15-#20 draft pick and take the best D remaining at that point, in a draft that's this D heavy there are bound to be some solid D left there unless this truly is a weak draft like the '07 draft was for instance.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Agreed. I can see why Russians might not like that he said it.
Definitely, there's nothing wrong with him announcing his faith, it should be common knowledge by now in NHL circles, but don't throw Mother Russia under the bus like that.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Definitely, there's nothing wrong with him announcing his faith, it should be common knowledge by now in NHL circles, but don't throw Mother Russia under the bus like that.
And to be fair, that might not even be what happened. There could definitely be cultural issues that are explained and speculated on the prospects board.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Muslims like christians put god first period

Old
06-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmageddon View Post
Muslims like christians put god first period
And that's part of the package like Nail Yakupov. Last year there was Grimaldi who really put his faith out there and it turned some people off from it, I haven't heard those concerns about Nail, but it doesn't mean that he's any less committed to his religion. Personally I'd take the guy that keeps his beliefs under his hat unless asked about them. I am ignorant to Muslim beliefs because to be honest I didn't grow up with many Muslims here. That said it is very evident to see that they are very committed to their religion and beliefs.

Closed Thread