HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo Thread (Keep all rumors/speculation here)

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 10:40 PM
eyeball11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
uhhhh name the return for these goalies. There hasn't been one since Luongo. It's not every day a hall of fame goalie is on the market.
ASSUMING one considers Luongo a HOF goalie, it's happened 5 times in the past 20 years, 6 if it happens again this year. Once every 3.5 years may be too long for the ADD generation?

Roy + Keane for Thibault, Rucinsky, Kovalenko

Hasek for V. Kozlov, 2002 1ST, Slater

Belfour for Terreri, M. Sykora, Dahlen

Fuhr, Anderson, Berube for Damphousse, Ing, S. Thornton, Richardson

Only in the last one would I not take the goalie 10 times out of 10 (yes I know Belfour had a rough stint in SJ but the players given up were no loss).

Old
06-02-2012, 10:46 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
You're just adding to his shooting himself in the foot. He mentioned the 11th overall as though that was some sort of prized possession demonstrating Schneider's worth (as in his GM wouldn't even settle for the 11th overall). Given that 11th overalls rarely amount to a good player and very frequently aren't even NHL players, it should tell you what real world GMs value Schneider at (hence supporting my questioning of the notion it is a sure thing Schneider lands a top 6 or top pairing d-man.....history supports me as does that purported offer).
This is an absurd argument based on gross abstractions such as: ignoring team needs; competence of team scouting staff; strength of draft year and so on.

Offering up a first round draft pick is only relevant within the context of the specific draft year, what team is making the selection, what other teams' selections were previous etc.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
This is an absurd argument based on gross abstractions such as: ignoring team needs; competence of team scouting staff; strength of draft year and so on.

Offering up a first round draft pick is only relevant within the context of the specific draft year, what team is making the selection, what other teams' selections were previous etc.
Our goal is still to add something to improve our roster immediately, not 1 or 2 or 5 years from now. Young, effective roster players at Schneider's age (or so) are far more valuable, to us especially, then having, say, a 75% chance at another....4-5 years of said player who may or may not have as big an impact as Schneider.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:12 AM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Our goal is still to add something to improve our roster immediately, not 1 or 2 or 5 years from now. Young, effective roster players at Schneider's age (or so) are far more valuable, to us especially, then having, say, a 75% chance at another....4-5 years of said player who may or may not have as big an impact as Schneider.
Why are quoting me?

Old
06-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Finnish Your Czechs

Quote:
Why are quoting me?
He's saying we should aquire young and proven (or at least somewhat proven) players rather than take picks and hope for the best.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:49 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Or he understands the scenario the Canucks face and out of respect for the organization that he has played for over the past six year, having some of the best seasons of his career, decided to give them assurance that if trading him is what they wish to do. He will not prevent that.

In short, unlike say Dany Heatley, who couldn't have been more of an ass if he tried. Luongo has proven to be a complete class act.
I'm not disputing Luongo's character but it is very obvious that he doesn't want to be somewhere where he is not the clear number one goalie. From the coaching staff to the media to the fanbase they all seem to favour Schneider and he must see that.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:50 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
But Burke won't take any risks even though is job is most likely on the line?
I forget where I wrote that.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
I'm not disputing Luongo's character but it is very obvious that he doesn't want to be somewhere where he is not the clear number one goalie. From the coaching staff to the media to the fanbase they all seem to favour Schneider and he must see that.
I think the big thing is he already gets boo'd and fans turn on him constantly.

Now imagine if your "average fan" begins to blame him for Schneider being traded.

For Luongo it would be 6 years in Vancouver of "we should have never traded Schneider".

Even if Luongo won the Vezina every year, and Schneider somehow returned Crosby Canucks fans would find a way to blame Luongo.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:37 PM
frankthetank91

Ek saying Lu to Toronto 80% done at the draft. Schenn and Gardiner off the table and Komisarek+ would be going the other way.

From Gardiner, Schenn and 5th overall to Komisarek I really hope something like this happens so people stop devaluing Leaf players and actually believing Gardiner, Schenn and the 5th is worth Luongo.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:41 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Ek saying Lu to Toronto 80% done at the draft. Schenn and Gardiner off the table and Komisarek+ would be going the other way.

From Gardiner, Schenn and 5th overall to Komisarek I really hope something like this happens so people stop devaluing Leaf players and actually believing Gardiner, Schenn and the 5th is worth Luongo.
The Gardiner, Schenn and 5th was originated by Toronto media, so do tell, who is devaluing Toronto talent?

And I'll be kind and ignore the fact that you just cited Eklund as a source.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:

I don't even want Luongo (contract) and i almost hope EK is right. Komi plus....lol.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:51 PM
BlackRedYellow

Now, this is when Komisarek starts playing the best hockey of his career in Vancouver...

Old
06-03-2012, 12:52 PM
AlmightyPO

If people think the 1st or Gardiner are going anywhere, even individually and not as a package, for Luongo, with signing Vokoun still a possibility, they are in for a big disappointment. I may be in the minority but I think Schenn is not off the table though and could easily be part of this trade if Vancouver had any interest.

On the flip side if people think Komisarek + is enough to get Luongo they are also in for a major disappointment. Luongo can be had for cheaper than what he is actually worth, but that is far too low.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
The Gardiner, Schenn and 5th was originated by Toronto media, so do tell, who is devaluing Toronto talent?

And I'll be kind and ignore the fact that you just cited Eklund as a source.
Sportsnet is national media. not Toronto.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
If people think the 1st or Gardiner are going anywhere, even individually and not as a package, for Luongo, with signing Vokoun still a possibility, they are in for a big disappointment.
This. Burke makes a push for Vokoun on the 1st. If he doesn't get him, he moves to Plan B, which probably involves Luongo. If I am a betting man, Burke has already kicked the tires with Gillis.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
This. Burke makes a push for Vokoun on the 1st. If he doesn't get him, he moves to Plan B, which probably involves Luongo. If I am a betting man, Burke has already kicked the tires with Gillis.
Like the NYR with Radulov....more than kicked the tires

Old
06-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Why are quoting me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Your Czechs View Post
He's saying we should aquire young and proven (or at least somewhat proven) players rather than take picks and hope for the best.
Bingo. Nothing personal, just saying that, while I agree with you (why I quoted you without disputing your argument), our focus need not be on draft picks at this time. I sent that from my phone, so I didn't get a nice, eloquent flow going.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:05 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Bingo. Nothing personal, just saying that, while I agree with you (why I quoted you without disputing your argument), our focus need not be on draft picks at this time. I sent that from my phone, so I didn't get a nice, eloquent flow going.
Ya I got that - I was more refuting a guy who was suggesting that the number 11 pick was fair value for Schneider than suggesting that's what the Canucks should be after

Old
06-03-2012, 01:05 PM
FAMOUSfin

IN the same blog, Ek said that Vokoun is on Chicago's radar and said of Luongo...

Another source chimed in, "There are already some high up in Toronto who see this move as 'a move the organization simply MUST make at this point.'"

Old
06-03-2012, 01:07 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Sportsnet is national media. not Toronto.
By this logic Don Taylor, a Sportsnet employee stationed in Vancouver, represents the entire Sportsnet franshise.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:

Eklund is so full of ****. He obviously read Jim Matheson's article in the Edmonton journal today:

Quote:
OK, I know the Vancouver Canucks haven’t formally said what they’re doing with the goaltending next year, but why would anybody not think Brian Burke will get Roberto Luongo to play goal for his Toronto Maple Leafs? Burke is all about the big trade, the big splash (trading up to get Chris Pronger at the draft when he was the Hartford Whalers general manager, wheeling and dealing to draft both Daniel and Henrik Sedin when he was Canucks GM) and Luongo would get his team into the playoffs and help his job security. The last time the Leafs were in the post-season was 2004, before the lockout. Forget how long Luongo’s contract is, as long as the Leafs can get the Canucks to take one of their high-end contracts off their hands, they’ll gladly take Luongo. Hey, Martin Brodeur is 40 and in the Stanley Cup final. Luongo could have six or seven strong years left in him. I don’t buy for a second the end-around story that Tomas Vokoun might go to the Leafs as a veteran sidekick for James Reimer.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
By this logic Don Taylor, a Sportsnet employee stationed in Vancouver, represents the entire Sportsnet franshise.
No, but HockeyCentral is a national broadcast. Taylor does Sportnet Pacific. I mean, Kypreis did the Memorial Cup with John Garrett. Does that still make it a Toronto broadcast?

Man, you guys are stretching. That ridiculous rumour was opinied by Doug McLean, for crying out loud. Not much else needs to be said.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
Ya I got that - I was more refuting a guy who was suggesting that the number 11 pick was fair value for Schneider than suggesting that's what the Canucks should be after
I am not disagreeing with you, but the point that poster was making was not that Schneider is worth the 11th pick but rather the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
Right I mean it's not like Vancouver was offered the 11 th overall pick for Schneider last year but turned it down. I bet you anything, if made available Schneider could pickup either of those assets maybe even more.
He was responding to this post, essentially pointing out that the Canucks turning down the 11th pick for Schneider proves nothing, as it is not that valuable an asset. Re-read what he was saying, he never suggests Schneider is worth the 11th.

Quote:
If that was your foot, you just shot yourself in it:

Focht
J. Ward
Heerema
Saprykin
Vorobiev
Sjostrom
Ballard
Carter
Tukonen
Kopitar
Quote:
You're just adding to his shooting himself in the foot. He mentioned the 11th overall as though that was some sort of prized possession demonstrating Schneider's worth (as in his GM wouldn't even settle for the 11th overall). Given that 11th overalls rarely amount to a good player and very frequently aren't even NHL players, it should tell you what real world GMs value Schneider at (hence supporting my questioning of the notion it is a sure thing Schneider lands a top 6 or top pairing d-man.....history supports me as does that purported offer).
Additionally his suggestion that this poster shot himself in the foot comes from the fact the 11th is not a very high return, which is why he posts recent 11th overall picks. Although Schneider is worth more than this, the point is that this offer shows hesitance by GMs to pay a premium for goalies, which was what this discussion has been about.

Last edited by AlmightyPO: 06-03-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
No, but HockeyCentral is a national broadcast. Taylor does Sportnet Pacific. I mean, Kypreis did the Memorial Cup with John Garrett. Does that still make it a Toronto broadcast?

Man, you guys are stretching. That ridiculous rumour was opinied by Doug McLean, for crying out loud. Not much else needs to be said.
I was under the impression that the rumour was first speculated by "Tim and Sid" from the FAN590. If I'm worng on this then I stand corrected.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:31 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Another Luongo thread hits 1k. Let's get a new one going.

Closed Thread