HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NYI and BUF

Old
05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I want whoever the isles scouts feel is BPA at #4.I don't worry whether that is Murray/Galchenyuk/Forsberg/Grigs/Dumba.

If it's a forward,then use the high 2nd on a defenseman.

If it's Rienhart,Trouba Ceci,Dumba or Rielly ,then fine.Trade down,but not so far that Snow misses out on his scouts choice.I don't see Snow trading down as far as 12th.
While I agree to an extent, I can think of logical reasons why I'd rather accelerate the return to the roster for one player or another, all centered around the fact that having the best Islander team possible over the next two seasons could be fairly instrumental in our hopes of the team staying in New York.

I don't totally shy away from picking BPA or anything (for me, it's Murray or bust) but even then I'm apprehensive about thrusting Murray straight to the NHL game. We've seen Bailey & Nino stumble and the only reason JT didn't is because he could very well prove himself to be one of the three best offensive draftees since Crosby as early as next year- but Tavares is the product of alien technology, and we can't easily expect a similar climb from anyone not elite.

Here comes the post that some brave sould make yearly that many will inevitably 'LOL' at for one reason or another: The Islanders may not be as bad as the stats say. Upgrading the defense with the right meanness and puck movement would immediately deflate the amount of time the Islanders are stuck in their own end, improve the transition game we've seen fail with everyone line without someone named JT (and to lesser extents, Grabner & Cizikas - who did impress me.) It would improve the attack through center ice and increase the time spent in the offensive zone. The Isles don't look comfortable on the attack unless they're flying full speed like Adam Sandler in the Waterboy, and I think it's partially because they don't have the horsepower on the blueline to assist in transitioning the puck. We can file this in "debatable theoryville."

I'd rather have a high-caliber defenseman via trading @ the draft this year than wait for some kid who may barely see NHL ice by the time Wang gives up the team in the face of diminishing returns. I might be half the country away, but seeing the Isles move to Quebec or Seattle would kick the **** out of me, and icing the highest-caliber squad possible would better the team's chance to find a home in Brooklyn or Queens or wherever on or near the Island so much more. I don't believe the team can afford another 2nd/3rd tier UFA retread and have another season of stumbling - I don't trust Wang, the TOH, or the NHL Board of Governors enough to assume they won't see the Isles today as a money-pit-to-money-maker-in-the-making or the Nordiques of '94. The fanbase needs to show galvanized support, and since the Islanders have stupid amounts of depth in every position BUT defense, considering the team's woes, it's the next AND last thing to work on.

Also, it doesn't have to be McNabb - there are plenty of fair trades to be made. I'd like to see a list of possibilities involving the defensemen on every team picking between #8 & #15 and go from there - the McNabb suggestion came from a counter-proposal I made to the Buffalo poster who offered pick #12, Leopold & Pysyk for #4.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
While I agree to an extent, I can think of logical reasons why I'd rather accelerate the return to the roster for one player or another, all centered around the fact that having the best Islander team possible over the next two seasons could be fairly instrumental in our hopes of the team staying in New York.
Isles trading up or down in the draft will have zero impact, on the cash strapped County,coming up with incentives for Wang to stay.

Brooklyn will either come up with a lease to lure Wang or they won't.

Adding a defensive prospect like McNabb, is not carrying the isles into the playoffs, anymore then adding De Haan or Donovan.Yet,if we read a report that the isles were expecting big things fron De Haan or Donovan on LI next season,the isles board would be overrun with pissed off fans,mocking the addition of another youngster.

Isles need a quality top 4 defenseman.Add 1-2 of the kids and play them in the 5th-7th spots, until they force their way up the depth chart.

Quote:
I don't totally shy away from picking BPA or anything (for me, it's Murray or bust) but even then I'm apprehensive about thrusting Murray straight to the NHL game. We've seen Bailey & Nino stumble and the only reason JT didn't is because he could very well prove himself to be one of the three best offensive draftees since Crosby as early as next year- but Tavares is the product of alien technology, and we can't easily expect a similar climb from anyone not elite.
Scouting reports have been saying all season that Murray is nhl ready.I don't think this is a case, of 29 teams would send Murray back to juniors,but the isles would have him on their 2012-2013 roster.

Even if the isles land Murray,imo they still need to get a quality,top 4 vet.Murray shouldn't be tossed in over his head, anymore then Donovan or De Haan.

Quote:
I'd rather have a high-caliber defenseman via trading @ the draft this year than wait for some kid who may barely see NHL ice by the time Wang gives up the team in the face of diminishing returns.
So,if the isles want to acquire a quality,top 4 defenseman,the only trade chip they have is 4th overall?C 'mon.

Quote:
The fanbase needs to show galvanized support, and since the Islanders have stupid amounts of depth in every position BUT defense, considering the team's woes, it's the next AND last thing to work on.
Hamonic's 21/22. MacDonald's 24/25.Donovan has #3 upside and is 22.De Haan's their top blueline prospect and is 21.Pedan and Mayfield are what 19/20?
There are kids like Kitchon,Russo,Ness who'll be in the mix.

Add a Murray or Dumba to that group.I don't think it's nearly as bare as you seem to.

Quote:
Also, it doesn't have to be McNabb - there are plenty of fair trades to be made. I'd like to see a list of possibilities involving the defensemen on every team picking between #8 & #15 and go from there - the McNabb suggestion came from a counter-proposal I made to the Buffalo poster who offered pick #12, Leopold & Pysyk for #4
We agree there are plenty of trades to be made.We simply disagree what the Isles trade chip should be.

I'd want Snow to focus on a team needing size or needing to start a rebuild and dangle Lee +the isles 2nd.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 08:28 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Isles trading up or down in the draft will have zero impact, on the cash strapped County,coming up with incentives for Wang to stay.

Brooklyn will either come up with a lease to lure Wang or they won't.

Adding a defensive prospect like McNabb, is not carrying the isles into the playoffs, anymore then adding De Haan or Donovan.Yet,if we read a report that the isles were expecting big things fron De Haan or Donovan on LI next season,the isles board would be overrun with pissed off fans,mocking the addition of another youngster.
I don't think McNabb is the 'total' answer - he alone won't save the team or anything, but revenue from winning games does the Islanders far more good than staying pat and showing little interest in taking whatever next step there is to take. The Isles cultivating local interest in the form of ticket sales couldn't hurt. Not an earth shattering change, but enough of a reason for anyone interested in buying the team or working towards to see more incentive in keeping the team in the Long Island vicinity, I'd think.

Quote:
Scouting reports have been saying all season that Murray is nhl ready.I don't think this is a case, of 29 teams would send Murray back to juniors,but the isles would have him on their 2012-2013 roster.

Even if the isles land Murray,imo they still need to get a quality,top 4 vet.Murray shouldn't be tossed in over his head, anymore then Donovan or De Haan.
We agree - I would rather Murray prove his talent for a year and give him the incentive to fight his way towards his talent ceiling.

Quote:
So,if the isles want to acquire a quality,top 4 defenseman,the only trade chip they have is 4th overall?C 'mon.
It's not the only trade chip, just the one with the most likely potential to bring back the best return.

Quote:
Hamonic's 21/22. MacDonald's 24/25.Donovan has #3 upside and is 22.De Haan's their top blueline prospect and is 21.Pedan and Mayfield are what 19/20?
There are kids like Kitchon,Russo,Ness who'll be in the mix.

Add a Murray or Dumba to that group.I don't think it's nearly as bare as you seem to.
It's not that it's so bare, just the slowest progressing. A good kickstart wouldn't hurt, and it could help shore up the defensive deficiencies, as most of these players mention are like 2 or more seasons away, and I still feel the Isles stand a better chance staying in NY by showing the improvement that would put fans in the seats.

Quote:
We agree there are plenty of trades to be made.We simply disagree what the Isles trade chip should be.

I'd want Snow to focus on a team needing size or needing to start a rebuild and dangle Lee +the isles 2nd.
I only offer the #4 pick to gauge interest and an idea of what could come back - it doesn't have to be #4, also the implied expectation is that a team doesn't trade a pick that high unless the player coming back is of a quality that justifies the movement of such a high pick.

Trading Lee & a 2nd is interesting too; I'm just not sure what player coming back would make the trade fair. I'm curious, who would you target in such a deal?

Old
05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I don't think McNabb is the 'total' answer - he alone won't save the team or anything, but revenue from winning games does the Islanders far more good than staying pat and showing little interest in taking whatever next step there is to take. The Isles cultivating local interest in the form of ticket sales couldn't hurt. Not an earth shattering change, but enough of a reason for anyone interested in buying the team or working towards to see more incentive in keeping the team in the Long Island vicinity, I'd think.

What is the unproven McNabb adding, that the unproven Donovan or the unproven
De Haan not adding?

Quote:
It's not the only trade chip, just the one with the most likely potential to bring back the best return.
I'm not looking for the isles blueline upgrade to come from just one player,one addition.
I want a quality vet,but I also think they need one of those top kids from Bridgeport to join the team and have a positive impact.

Quote:
It's not that it's so bare, just the slowest progressing. A good kickstart wouldn't hurt, and it could help shore up the defensive deficiencies, as most of these players mention are like 2 or more seasons away, and I still feel the Isles stand a better chance staying in NY by showing the improvement that would put fans in the seats.
When Wang opened the checkbook for Yashin/Peca,fans expected the arena issue to be jumpstarted.

After the exciting Isles/Leafs playoff series,fans expected the arena issue to be jumpstarted.

We they drafted Tavares,fans expected the arena issue to be jumpstarted.

The County running out of time and having to make serious concessions to keep Wang's team will jumpstart the issue.

Quote:
Trading Lee & a 2nd is interesting too; I'm just not sure what player coming back would make the trade fair. I'm curious, who would you target in such a deal
I'd hoped to see a trade for Quincey using those trade chips,but western conference fans said I overrated Quincey,that he is not that solid.I thought he was Andrew MacDonald pt II.

In another thread,a Stars fans seems to think that one of Lee or the 2nd could land Robidas.

A Flyer fans suggests Meszaros,but would want De Haan or Donovan + the 2nd.Awful value imo.Meszaros is a ufa in two seasons.Donovan has #3 potential and scouts are saying he and De haan, are close in talent.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
What is the unproven McNabb adding, that the unproven Donovan or the unproven
De Haan not adding?
I'd view McNabb as a meaner, more defensive-minded Donovan.

I don't think size is the only way to gauge a player, but guys like McNabb & Donovan at least don't look as though they'll get overwhelmed on the ice. deHaan's lankiness and 16 points last season don't tell me he's as ready for NHL action as the other two, and a little more meanness on the blueline would help tone back the overabundance of PMD's back there.

Quote:
I'm not looking for the isles blueline upgrade to come from just one player,one addition.
I want a quality vet,but I also think they need one of those top kids from Bridgeport to join the team and have a positive impact.
I'd like the same thing, but for me it would have to be Donovan, and I'd still want a fairly young, meaner defenseman back there as well. Like I said above, deHaan needs more time, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
When Wang opened the checkbook for Yashin/Peca,fans expected the arena issue to be jumpstarted.

After the exciting Isles/Leafs playoff series,fans expected the arena issue to be jumpstarted.

We they drafted Tavares,fans expected the arena issue to be jumpstarted.

The County running out of time and having to make serious concessions to keep Wang's team will jumpstart the issue.
I certainly hope so. Regardless, people will stick their necks out farther for something trending towards becoming a winner rather than treading water. Three seasons before we know, one way or another. I'd rather have the team stirring the casual fan into slowly becoming hardcore supporters. Every improvement helps.

Quote:
I'd hoped to see a trade for Quincey using those trade chips,but western conference fans said I overrated Quincey,that he is not that solid.I thought he was Andrew MacDonald pt II.

In another thread,a Stars fans seems to think that one of Lee or the 2nd could land Robidas.

A Flyer fans suggests Meszaros,but would want De Haan or Donovan + the 2nd.Awful value imo.Meszaros is a ufa in two seasons.Donovan has #3 potential and scouts are saying he and De haan, are close in talent.
I checked out the other thread, and I'd agree.

I think my bigger sticking point is the desire to have more on the blueline making opponents make sure they keep their heads up. For a while I was interested in Dumba and still am a little, but I'd rather see a d-man of a similar caliber on the blueline sooner. This is where the idea behind moving the #4 pick came from, understanding the 'give to get' rationale and the fact that physical, top-3 d-men don't grow on trees. Neither of the above defensemen are quite 'proven,' but I like a willingness to scrap, leadership acumen, some offensive ability and some size - having all four, McNabb's toolkit prompted my interest, compared to Donovan's possessing 3 of 4 and deHaan only really having offense.....though not the best showing of such last season on the Sound Tigers.

I've simply never been that sold on deHaan. I'm not expecting Paul Coffey level offense from him, but I'd be happy to see him surprise me this season.

Old
05-30-2012, 10:22 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
yeah because all you care about is the draft.....You want the excitment of drafting as high as possible....Theres no reason why any of those defensman cant be as good as the top dman taken....

Karlsson,Kulikov, McDonaugh......none the first dman taken and none the top ten, and thats just recent....
I see that you keep bringing this up. Again, if you want to count on getting another Erik Karlsson in the mid-first round I don't think you'd last too long as an NHL GM.

On top of that, I really don't see why draft history should factor into making a decision when it comes to this year's draft. Draft prospects are different every year. Just because somebody great was taken with the 12th pick one year doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get the same caliber of player with the 12th pick in future years. I'm sure the odds are in favor of the opposite happening.

BTW, it's not even like what you are suggesting means we'll trade down from taking the #1 rated d-man to the #2 or 3 rated D. We will be trading down from the #1D to the 6th or 7th rated defenseman. IMO there is a very good chance all of Murray, Dumba, Rielly, Trouba, and Reinhart will all be gone by the 12th pick, with the potential of one of Ceci or Maatta gone as well. So instead of having your choice from the entire lot of d-men, you essentially just end up choosing whoever is left.

Considering how deep our prospect pool is at this point, with guys like de Haan and Donovan(who IMO have similar upside to that of McNabb's) basically NHL-ready, wouldn't it make more sense to just stand pat and take whichever defenseman you think has the best chance at becoming an elite NHL blueliner? To me, that player is Murray, no question.

Isles can't afford to miss with this pick. Sure, they could get lucky and draft a Karlsson in the mid-1st, but they could also end up with a Ty Wishart. The one constant with defensemen taken in the top of the draft is that they all have a pretty solid success rate. Larsson, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Alzner, Gudbranson, etc. The only 2 true "misses" I can think of since 2007 were Hickey and Schenn(although Schenn is still young enough to change this).

Keep the 4th pick. If you don't want to keep it, trade up... not down.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
Der Jaeger

12, 21, Pysyk for 4?

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 11:32 PM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
12, 21, Pysyk for 4?
I would assume most Isles fans will say no.

We have a deep prospect pool, but we lack top-end talent in a couple of areas. Mainly on defense. I don't see the Isles passing up this opportunity to add a few more solid prospects(something we have an abundance of) when they just could add one more elite prospect if they stick with what they have.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:07 AM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
12, 21, Pysyk for 4?
Not bad at all value wise. I just really want to stay in the top 7 if we can

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Islander fans who want to trade out of the top ten just simply don't get it. Please stop with this crap. When I saw this was an Islander fan than proposed this I wanted to throw my laptop accross the room
Please do. It would limit posts like this.

We need to start winning NOW, or we are going to lose our team. If we cannot draw good UFA d-men, we've got to trade for one. And we've got to give to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I'd be happy with this trade even though McNabb is going to be a stud D man similar to McDonaugh.
Does everyone agree with that estimate? If it were true, why would you be happy with the deal? Hell, if I believed it, I would give up more.

As an Islander fan, it seems pretty clear that Buffalo is our best potential trade partner. There are multiple scenarios available (including a #4 + Bailey for McNabb, 12, 21 discussed earlier).

With the #12 pick we could take a D-man (Maata, Reinhart, Trouba, etc.) or a forward (Faksa, Teravainen).

Fire up the fax!

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I would assume most Isles fans will say no.

We have a deep prospect pool, but we lack top-end talent in a couple of areas. Mainly on defense. I don't see the Isles passing up this opportunity to add a few more solid prospects(something we have an abundance of) when they just could add one more elite prospect if they stick with what they have.
I don't know, we do know the Islanders lack top end talent like you said but who is to say Murray is that answer(even though he'll be drafted highly). Think about it if they made this deal and walk out with the following

4th overall

for

Pysyk
Reinhart
Koekkoek or drop a couple spots from 21 and grab Dalton Thrower plus an extra pick.

To me that isn't quality for quantity. Right there you add 3 potentially very good future NHL D-men plus the ability to add another pick. The Islanders need a stocked cabinet of D-men in the worst way since they will not likely attract any in FA.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
blinkman360
Vasilevskiy v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I don't know, we do know the Islanders lack top end talent like you said but who is to say Murray is that answer(even though he'll be drafted highly). Think about it if they made this deal and walk out with the following

4th overall

for

Pysyk
Reinhart
Koekkoek or drop a couple spots from 21 and grab Dalton Thrower plus an extra pick.

To me that isn't quality for quantity. Right there you add 3 potentially very good future NHL D-men plus the ability to add another pick. The Islanders need a stocked cabinet of D-men in the worst way since they will not likely attract any in FA.
They need to add at least one UFA to give the team at least some sort of veteran presence back there besides Streit. Rozsival would be a great fit, but that is for another thread.

My point is, with guys like de Haan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pedan, Kichton, etc., we have plenty of guys who project as solid top-4's who could surprise and surpass that. That said a player with elite upside, and we have a better chance of hitting that picking 4th overall than we do at 12th and 21st. While there's no guarantee that our pick in the 4 slot will be an elite player, there is also no guarantee that either of the players we pick at 12 and 21 will even pan out as 3rd pairing guys.

IMO you are taking a huge, unnecessary gamble by trading down for 2 mid-1st round picks.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
They need to add at least one UFA to give the team at least some sort of veteran presence back there besides Streit. Rozsival would be a great fit, but that is for another thread.

My point is, with guys like de Haan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pedan, Kichton, etc., we have plenty of guys who project as solid top-4's who could surprise and surpass that. That said a player with elite upside, and we have a better chance of hitting that picking 4th overall than we do at 12th and 21st. While there's no guarantee that our pick in the 4 slot will be an elite player, there is also no guarantee that either of the players we pick at 12 and 21 will even pan out as 3rd pairing guys.

IMO you are taking a huge, unnecessary gamble by trading down for 2 mid-1st round picks.
While I understand your point of view past De Haan and Donovan I'm not sold on any of them. There are just not close enough to truly project what they would be at the NHL level just yet. Honestly let's load up now and in a few years when we have a better understanding of how things are turning out we can use some assets and help ourselves in other areas if that's the case.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:10 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
While I understand your point of view past De Haan and Donovan I'm not sold on any of them. There are just not close enough to truly project what they would be at the NHL level just yet. Honestly let's load up now and in a few years when we have a better understanding of how things are turning out we can use some assets and help ourselves in other areas if that's the case.
Easier to load up on solid players,then acquire elite players.

2012 First and second round picks, could both bring in defensemen:Murray+Thrower?
How about Murray and Slater Koekkoek,if Thrower is off the board at #33/#34?

Remember,some draft rankings had Mayfield projected to go in the first round.Isles got him early in the second.

Hamonic
MacDonald
De haan
Donovan
Ness
Mayfield
Pedan
Kitchon
Katic
Russo

Old
05-31-2012, 11:29 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I see that you keep bringing this up. Again, if you want to count on getting another Erik Karlsson in the mid-first round I don't think you'd last too long as an NHL GM.

On top of that, I really don't see why draft history should factor into making a decision when it comes to this year's draft. Draft prospects are different every year. Just because somebody great was taken with the 12th pick one year doesn't mean you are guaranteed to get the same caliber of player with the 12th pick in future years. I'm sure the odds are in favor of the opposite happening.

BTW, it's not even like what you are suggesting means we'll trade down from taking the #1 rated d-man to the #2 or 3 rated D. We will be trading down from the #1D to the 6th or 7th rated defenseman. IMO there is a very good chance all of Murray, Dumba, Rielly, Trouba, and Reinhart will all be gone by the 12th pick, with the potential of one of Ceci or Maatta gone as well. So instead of having your choice from the entire lot of d-men, you essentially just end up choosing whoever is left.

Considering how deep our prospect pool is at this point, with guys like de Haan and Donovan(who IMO have similar upside to that of McNabb's) basically NHL-ready, wouldn't it make more sense to just stand pat and take whichever defenseman you think has the best chance at becoming an elite NHL blueliner? To me, that player is Murray, no question.

Isles can't afford to miss with this pick. Sure, they could get lucky and draft a Karlsson in the mid-1st, but they could also end up with a Ty Wishart. The one constant with defensemen taken in the top of the draft is that they all have a pretty solid success rate. Larsson, Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Alzner, Gudbranson, etc. The only 2 true "misses" I can think of since 2007 were Hickey and Schenn(although Schenn is still young enough to change this).

Keep the 4th pick. If you don't want to keep it, trade up... not down.
you make great points. Im not saying that there will be a top pairing Defensman after the top 10, but its not impossible esspecially when it comes to dmen.Murray IS who I want and he is the top rated DMAN because he is the MOST likley to be a good defensman, but there are no sure things. And If Murray is gone, then I was simply saying it would not be terrible to explore the option of trading down. It does not even have to be McNabb or even Buffalo for that matter.

Now If Murray is off the table, we will still have a shot at one off the High ranked fowards, But IMO we need to find stud Dmen. Im a huge Fan of Donovan,de Hann,Mayfield,Pedan,Kitchton,and Russo but these guys as of rite now dont project to be top pairing guys...

Teams have professional scouts that work year round to find out what these kids are made of, then the put a list together of guys they think are the BPA and then they go from there. Everey year we here about a guy that a team picks in the late teens or even 20's that they had in the top 10....

In all I will say it again I want Murray, but lets say that a Dumba drops like Fowler did, you can still get a potentially good Dman in that spot...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:29 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Please do. It would limit posts like this.

We need to start winning NOW, or we are going to lose our team. If we cannot draw good UFA d-men, we've got to trade for one. And we've got to give to get.

Does everyone agree with that estimate? If it were true, why would you be happy with the deal? Hell, if I believed it, I would give up more.

As an Islander fan, it seems pretty clear that Buffalo is our best potential trade partner. There are multiple scenarios available (including a #4 + Bailey for McNabb, 12, 21 discussed earlier).

With the #12 pick we could take a D-man (Maata, Reinhart, Trouba, etc.) or a forward (Faksa, Teravainen).

Fire up the fax!

Cheers,

Dan-o
Thank you for seeing the situation as dire as it is.

If this team doesn't know if it has 3-4 season to wait, it has to operate with more haste than it has been. I don't want to pick some kid to be looked upon as some "shiny savior" only to see him do just that......in Quebec or Seattle.

If it took the first 3 picks the Isles had to get a player the team needs under contract for this coming season and years beyond, I'd do it. Why? It betters the Isles' chances at staying. People in the vicinity of the team are going to care less and less if the team doesn't attempt a snappier rebuild technique....and as much as I didn't like what Florida did and know Wang won't bankroll it as well (if at all) the team could really use that speed of a re-tooling, and they could use it YESTERDAY.

"Waiting for Godot" isn't going to help us, and potential owners looking to move the team would salivate over the opportunity to get a franchise led by Tavares, especially the more they see Wang function like an absentee landlord.

Expecting the extremely slight-of-frame deHaan and his SIXTEEN points from last season isn't going to help. Donovan MIGHT, but is now the time to gamble, or get a known quantity? I know which one I pick. I'd love to see Snow work similar magic to what was done for the Smyth deal, only hopefully ending better for Long Island. Hell, I'd offer the 1st, 2nd & 3rd for the right winger and top-2 defenseman right now. The issue is more so singling out the correct team, the correct players and the correct attitudes to bring in. I'd rather take a young, hungry kid like NcNabb with a career ahead of him than Roszival, who is pretty good, but has 66% of his career behind him rather than in front.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:45 PM
tsujimoto74

If you're looking for a vet now and talent for the future...what about Buffalo's 12th overall, Buffalo's 42nd overall, Pysyk, and Leopold for the 4th overall (and maybe another toss-in to even things out)? Leo can eat lots of minutes, and can do PP/PK. Big downside is he'll be a UFA after this year, but NYI would be able to negotiate with him this year, and if it doesn't look like he'll re-sign, he's exactly the kind of player cup contenders like to overpay for at the trade deadline to improve their defensive depth.
NYI would end up with 2 new top-end D prospects (Pysyk and whoever they take at 12th), and would be able to add a solid vet to the line up now.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote