HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo VII

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 01:33 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Roberto Luongo VII

Last thread has reached the max.

Previous threads:

Roberto Luongo I
Roberto Luongo II
Roberto Luongo III
Roberto Luongo IV
Roberto Luongo V
Roberto Luongo VI

Where does Luongo go and for what? Does he even get moved?

Here are the last few posts from the last thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
No, but HockeyCentral is a national broadcast. Taylor does Sportnet Pacific. I mean, Kypreis did the Memorial Cup with John Garrett. Does that still make it a Toronto broadcast?

Man, you guys are stretching. That ridiculous rumour was opinied by Doug McLean, for crying out loud. Not much else needs to be said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
I am not disagreeing with you, but the point that poster was making was not that Schneider is worth the 11th pick but rather the opposite.

He was responding to this post, essentially pointing out that the Canucks turning down the 11th pick for Schneider proves nothing, as it is not that valuable an asset. Re-read what he was saying, he never suggests Schneider is worth the 11th.

Additionally his suggestion that this poster shot himself in the foot comes from the fact the 11th is not a very high return, which is why he posts recent 11th overall picks. Although Schneider is worth more than this, the point is that this offer shows hesitance by GMs to pay a premium for goalies, which was what this discussion has been about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
I was under the impression that the rumour was first speculated by "Tim and Sid" from the FAN590. If I'm worng on this then I stand corrected.
Discuss.

Last edited by AndyPipkin: 06-03-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 01:36 PM
FakeKidPoker*

vCash: 500
With Thomas off the block does Luongo's value go up slightly?

Old
06-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
I would think so, removes one potential option. If a team wants a proven #1 goaltender this off-season there really appears to be two options, Luongo and Vokoun. One will cost assets and comes with a lengthy contract, but is almost a sure bet to be a quality starter for years to come. The other is free in terms of acquiring and wont have a long term contract, but will be coming off a pretty serious groin injury and may not return at the same level of performance.

Last edited by Peter Griffin: 06-03-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 01:56 PM
AndyPipkin

So what goalies are left if Thomas is taking the year off?

Kipper(If he's available)
Vokoun(1-2 year stopgap)
Harding(Terrible stats for playing in MIN)
Lindback(Proven less then Schneider)
Bernier(See Lindback)

Any of the other goalies are being released by teams because they want an upgrade. So imo guys like Khabby wouldn't even been worth it.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Alexander Baigle

Nikolai Kulemin + Korbinian Holzer + Mike Komiserak.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
I think it'll take more teams to be really interested in Luongo than just Toronto for his value to go up. Bob McKenzie, Pierre Lebrun etc all keep saying that other teams are looking elsewhere. If Toronto's not even bidding against anyone...

Old
06-03-2012, 02:11 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Baigle View Post
Nikolai Kulemin + Korbinian Holzer + Mike Komiserak.
Honestly, if a trade is going to happen between the two clubs then one of the pieces leaving Toronto will be a player that fans will NOT want to see go. Not spare parts, ok prospects, players with inflated salaries or those coming off career low years (or in some proposals all of the above).

If TO fans aren't willing to part with a high-end quality player, then the trade likely won't happen.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Honestly, if a trade is going to happen between the two clubs then one of the pieces leaving Toronto will be a player that fans will NOT want to see go. Not spare parts, ok prospects, players with inflated salaries or those coming off career low years (or in some proposals all of the above).

If TO fans aren't willing to part with a high-end quality player, then the trade likely won't happen.
Well, neither TO or Vancouver fans really have any say in the matter.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:17 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
I think it'll take more teams to be really interested in Luongo than just Toronto for his value to go up. Bob McKenzie, Pierre Lebrun etc all keep saying that other teams are looking elsewhere. If Toronto's not even bidding against anyone...
Didn't they say exactly the opposite of that on the last Sportscentre Insider segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
So what goalies are left if Thomas is taking the year off?

Kipper(If he's available)
Vokoun(1-2 year stopgap)
Harding(Terrible stats for playing in MIN)
Lindback(Proven less then Schneider)
Bernier(See Lindback)

Any of the other goalies are being released by teams because they want an upgrade. So imo guys like Khabby wouldn't even been worth it.
Kipper - Look at the personnel on Calgary and the coach they just hired, they are not trading Kipper.

Vokoun - has turned down BIG money in the KHL in order to try and win the Cup, his list of teams is likely pretty short.
================================================== ========
Harding - not an NHL starter.

Lindback - not an NHL level starter, didn't he drop in the draft due to a medical condition that is only going to get worse? Has that changed?

Bernier - not an NHL starter, has not looked all that good in the NHL behind one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Alexander Baigle

Quote:

I see what you're saying, but Roberto Luongo's contract is ridiculous. I think both sides have to come in a little bit. And Toronto has to send some cap back to make it work.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
AndyPipkin

So I guess whenever Burke makes or doesn't make a move, it'll say what he thinks of TOR's current goaltending.

If he goes out and gets a Kipper or Luongo he has no faith in Reimer/etc, but if he goes after say a Vokoun then he probably thinks they have the potential.

Would Leaf fans be pretty upset with Burke if 3 years from now he is still trying to push Reimer as a starter and its not working?

Old
06-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Didn't they say exactly the opposite of that on the last Sportscentre Insider segment.
If they did, I sure didn't hear it.

What are the other teams they listed in being Luongo suitors?

Old
06-03-2012, 02:20 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:

Kipper - Look at the personnel on Calgary and the coach they just hired, they are not trading Kipper.

Vokoun - has turned down BIG money in the KHL in order to try and win the Cup, his list of teams is likely pretty short.
================================================== ========

Lindback - not an NHL level starter, didn't he drop in the draft due to a medical condition that is only going to get worse? Has that changed?

Bernier - not an NHL starter, has not looked all that good in the NHL behind one of the best defensive teams in the league.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
yes it does. One less goalie on the market.

Once Marty retires the devils may pursue Luongo as well.

The only other goalie avail who is really a franchise goalie ready to help a team 65 games a year is Kipper out of Calgary.

Flames have expressed interest in shopping him if the price is right as well.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:23 PM
NYVanfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Well, neither TO or Vancouver fans really have any say in the matter.
This is true

However, I dont think I'm being too objective if I say that this is likely, unless:

1. Toronto is the only suitor
2. Gillis cannot get Schneider to sign a 1-year deal
3. Gillis is running put of time with the prospect of July 1st Schneider offer sheets looming

If all 3 happen, then it's likely TO may see the type of deal they'd consider a big win.
However, if it comes to that, I would hope Gillis moves to plan B and sells Schneider high.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
CommonMeans*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
This is true

However, I dont think I'm being too objective if I say that this is likely, unless:

1. Toronto is the only suitor
2. Gillis cannot get Schneider to sign a 1-year deal
3. Gillis is running put of time with the prospect of July 1st Schneider offer sheets looming

If all 3 happen, then it's likely TO may see the type of deal they'd consider a big win.
However, if it comes to that, I would hope Gillis moves to plan B and sells Schneider high.
I'm in full agreement with the idea that if GMMG is being offered scraps for Luongo, then he shifts focus to moving Schneider.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
arsmaster

I honestly feel Jersey is a real option.

A great Italian on the Jersey Shore would help boost the NHL in that market IMO.

I don't see LouLam being concerned with Luongo's contract.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

I would've said the same thing about Brian Elliott just last season. Goaltending is a crapshoot and the young Maple Leafs will not begin prematurely mortgaging the future to roll the dice on a goalie. We'll get one for just $$$ or on a rebate.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:34 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I would've said the same thing about Brian Elliott just last season. Goaltending is a crapshoot and the young Maple Leafs will not begin prematurely mortgaging the future to roll the dice on a goalie. We'll get one for just $$$ or on a rebate.
Goaltending can be a crapshoot.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Provost

Komisarek?

Saw the Eklund post about that... I don't disagree that Komisarek could be going to Vancouver... but that certainly wouldn't be the entire return for Luongo. Eklund didn't even suggest that and said "Komisarek would be included"... not that he is the key piece.

Vancouver would happily trade Ballard for Komisarek and that would be a sweetener to whatever the Luongo package is to convince them. Vancouver needs some beef on the blueline and getting an overpaid big guy like that would be better than having an overpaid smaller guy like Ballard.

If folks think that it is Komisarek for Luongo straight up... that just seems out to lunch.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:38 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Not if you have the right coach and system as both PHX and STL have done with Elliot and Smith. Put those guys on PHI and do we see the same things happen like with Bryz? Probably.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
So I guess whenever Burke makes or doesn't make a move, it'll say what he thinks of TOR's current goaltending.

If he goes out and gets a Kipper or Luongo he has no faith in Reimer/etc, but if he goes after say a Vokoun then he probably thinks they have the potential.

Would Leaf fans be pretty upset with Burke if 3 years from now he is still trying to push Reimer as a starter and its not working?
Not as upset as i'll be if in 3 years Luongo is not playing well and still has 7 years left.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Dreamskull

Luongo, Tanev, 1st

for

Gardiner, Ashton.

This is the type of trade that I think would benefit both teams.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:42 PM
HamhuisHip
LeggsOverMyHamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamskull View Post
Luongo, Tanev, 1st

for

Gardiner, Ashton.

There will be a salary coming back in order for TOR to fit Luongo in and still have some flexability.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamskull View Post
Luongo, Tanev, 1st

for

Gardiner, Ashton.

Solid deal.

Closed Thread