HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Part V | Marlies vs Admirals | Marlies done.

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 09:26 AM
hockeyfanz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
I'm quite sure that was thrown around a lot after he was drafted by the Bruins. Afther his first 2 college years he was actually a top blue-chip prospect according to Bruins (and other NHL) fans. So lets not pretend like all the hype around him started the moment he was traded.
Hmmmmm...my buddy hates the Leafs...big Bruins fan. He didn't understand all the Leafs fans hoopla about Colborne. Told me at the time of the trade that Colborne was a bust. Just another big soft player that was over-rated. JUst used it as a glaring example of how Leaf fans over-hype every player they acquire...whether it be through FA, draft or trade. Really need to to temper our expectations I think and give a little credit to other GMs for at least having a clue. This idea that Burke is "fleecing" everybody while the team continues to suck is somewhat of a joke. Surely if he is fleecing teams that implies he is getting back much better than he is giving which should be reflected in team success. Still waiting.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:29 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Hmmmmm...my buddy hates the Leafs...big Bruins fan. He didn't understand all the Leafs fans hoopla about Colborne. Told me at the time of the trade that Colborne was a bust. Just another big soft player that was over-rated. JUst used it as a glaring example of how Leaf fans over-hype every player they acquire...whether it be through FA, draft or trade. Really need to to temper our expectations I think and give a little credit to other GMs for at least having a clue. This idea that Burke is "fleecing" everybody while the team continues to suck is somewhat of a joke. Surely if he is fleecing teams that implies he is getting back much better than he is giving which should be reflected in team success. Still waiting.
good point. just to add to that i am starting to wonder about Gardiner...

Old
06-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Alazais

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
He has not looked good in the last two games. He's struggling.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:41 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Many considered it a "fleecing" due to expectations. A week or two before the deal many fans were looking at a 2nd + for Kaberle, instead we got a 1st + 2nd (conditional) and a former 1st round pick.

The Colborne hype started before his draft, Mess was a big fan and loved to throw around the Thornton comparisons. Not surprising those comments followed him to Boston (since they drafted Thornton) then on back to Toronto, on HFBoards at least.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Many considered it a "fleecing" due to expectations. A week or two before the deal many fans were looking at a 2nd + for Kaberle, instead we got a 1st + 2nd (conditional) and a former 1st round pick.

The Colborne hype started before his draft, Mess was a big fan and loved to throw around the Thornton comparisons. Not surprising those comments followed him to Boston (since they drafted Thornton) then on back to Toronto, on HFBoards at least.
I posted pre-draft scouting reports where Joe Colborne himself when interviewed and compared/modeled his game after Joe Thornton.

It wasn't my comparison but rather his own. Here is one such post of mine : http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...32&postcount=7

Quote:
The Colborne Identity

The scouts have been raving about Colborne’s explosive speed coupled with his towering 6’5” frame, which in all likelihood has yet to be filled out. Colborne plays the center position with notoriously soft hands and natural offensive instincts, thus the 52 points in 29 games played this season with Camrose. When asked about which current NHL players he would compare his style of play to, Colborne chose three who any General Manager in the right mind would undoubtedly love to have on their team.

“I feel like I am a skilled forward, and I try to model my game after players like Lecavalier, Thornton and Spezza,” Colborne said.

The 18-year-old forward has added seven more goals and eight helpers in 17 playoff games as the Kodiaks are once again in contention to win the AJHL title, tied at 3-3 against the Fort McMurray Oil Barons in the final series.

One scout told the Edmonton Sun that Colborne, who was rated 30th among North American skaters by the National Hockey League’s Central Scouting Service in January, is “as close to a Joe Thornton clone” as a player can be at this level.

Last edited by Mess: 06-03-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old
06-03-2012, 09:57 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I posted pre-draft scouting reports where Joe Colborne himself when interviewed and compared/modeled his game after Joe Thornton.

It wasn't my comparison but rather his own.
If I do a search, do you think I find a post where you call him "Little Joe" or something similar? I didn't say you were the first to make that comparison, I said you threw it around.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:19 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Funny thing that......but Big Joe was the next Thornton when the trade was made. Jumbo Joe was the centerpiece of that fleecing. Changing direction now? Funny how my Bruins fan buddy, told me the Leafs are welcome to Colborne becasue he was an over-rated soft wuss who refuses to use his size. Maybe he was right?
Sad little person, lying to make a point.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:38 AM
conway902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alazais View Post
NCAA play like 40 games a year and hes at 90+ this year, I would say hes burning out. He still has 11 points in 15 games, I wouldn't worry to much.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:20 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Quote:
NCAA season is 40 something games long, In total he played 51 games last season, ~40 the two years prior, This season he is currently at 94 GP. It is fully understandable that he's slowing down.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:55 AM
birddog*

Quote:
The entire team hasn't looked good. they don't have enough goal scoring up front without Kadri and Frattin.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Incognito

No Kadri, no Frattin, No Zigomanis ... Regardless of the outcome of this series, no one will ever truly know who the better team was.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:15 PM
jughead42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
No Kadri, no Frattin, No Zigomanis ... Regardless of the outcome of this series, no one will ever truly know who the better team was.
The better team is the team that wins. It has been that way since the dawn of civilization, not sure why it would be any different just because a couple guys are injured. Injuries are part of the game. It would be nice if Nazem Kadri could tough out his infected cuticle and put in an appearance though, since he's the savior and all.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
agropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
The better team is the team that wins. It has been that way since the dawn of civilization, not sure why it would be any different just because a couple guys are injured. Injuries are part of the game. It would be nice if Nazem Kadri could tough out his infected cuticle and put in an appearance though, since he's the savior and all.
Hasn't this routine become tiresome for you? There is nothing accurate, or clever about it... Every bloody day you roll out the same schlock, trolling for a fight, you sound like an autistic parrot. Get over it.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:33 PM
conway902

Quote:
Its not just a couple of guys injured its the marlies top scorer, top play maker and top defensive forward.

If it was the other way around and the admirals were missing there best players, then hfboards would 100% say it was the only reason the marlies won.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

No need to panic yet. The Marlies can still shift the series momentum in Game 3. It's a must win but at home it's possible.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Gardiner is nothing to worry about. Best thing this club has.

Old
06-03-2012, 01:58 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Quote:
Yeah and too bad Frattin can't tough out the "Tiny bruise" on his knee

Yoou don't know how badly kadri is injured, so don't just assumr he's being a wimp.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Incognito

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. No one can deny that the Marlies are a much better team with their top three forwards in the lineup as opposed to with them out of it. The fact that Kadri, Frattin and Zigomanis are injured is simply lucky for Norfolk, and doesn't necessarily make them better than the Marlies. I'm not saying that the Admirals wouldn't have been in the position they currently are in even if we didn't have any injuries, but to say we are definitely the lesser team when we are missing a number of key players is not accurate. The Marlies are not necessarily inferior, but they are more unforunate.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

Quote:
He's probably tiring out. 94GP in his first full professional season.

Not to mention the ice in Norfolk's arena is just atrocious. Eakins described it as the worst he'd ever seen. Bad ice would really derail Gardiner's game because it relies so much on his elite skating level.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post
He's probably tiring out. 94GP in his first full professional season.

Not to mention the ice in Norfolk's arena is just atrocious. Eakins described it as the worst he'd ever seen. Bad ice would really derail Gardiner's game because it relies so much on his elite skating level.
First point: fair.

Second point: Not fair, suck it up. Norfolk has to play on the ****** ice too...

Old
06-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Not a lot of teams can survive with their top line out.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Run705
The705Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post

Second point: Not fair, suck it up. Norfolk has to play on the ****** ice too...
They're probably so used to playing on ****** ice that's it's an advantage for them

Old
06-03-2012, 02:42 PM
suprvilce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post

I remember some Senators (or was it the meadia reporting that) complaining about bad ice back in 07 when they were playing in Anaheim in Cup finals. Maybe they get the benefit of being used to it unlike their oponents. I do get your point though.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:11 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Colborne is a -4. If they benched him, they would be tied 1-1 right now.
I've been more impressed by Joe than at any other time I've seen him, his compete
level has increased, he's been effective on the Draws, I thought him, Ashton, and Abbott have shown the most offensive upside. Some of the defensemen haven't been great is an understatement, Blacker and Percy should be playing in place of guy's who don't want to play or have no future with the Leafs. Their foot speed has been exposed.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
I've been more impressed by Joe than at any other time I've seen him, his compete
level has increased, he's been effective on the Draws, I thought him, Ashton, and Abbott have shown the most offensive upside. Some of the defensemen haven't been great is an understatement, Blacker and Percy should be playing in place of guy's who don't want to play or have no future with the Leafs. Their foot speed has been exposed.
Who are you and what have you done with Freebird?!

I agree A lot are kick on joe but his drive yesterday was very visible. I think next year might be a very big one for him.