HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberto Luongo VII

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 03:45 PM
54roughing*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
This is true

However, I dont think I'm being too objective if I say that this is likely, unless:

1. Toronto is the only suitor
2. Gillis cannot get Schneider to sign a 1-year deal
3. Gillis is running put of time with the prospect of July 1st Schneider offer sheets looming

If all 3 happen, then it's likely TO may see the type of deal they'd consider a big win.
However, if it comes to that, I would hope Gillis moves to plan B and sells Schneider high.
That is a viable option, the only problem is then Vancouver is Stuck with Luongo in that case, and a argument can be made that the team has done all it can with him in goal

not something that half of the fanbase agrees with, yet the other half pretty much accepts as inevitable

Old
06-03-2012, 03:45 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Not as upset as i'll be if in 3 years Luongo is not playing well and still has 7 years left.
Oh there is no doubt about that. If you were a betting man though(Minus trade costs) would you bet that Reimer will be anywhere near Luongo's level(Or even that of a goalie capable of getting you in the 2nd season) in 3 years or Luongo will be at or near his current level or play in 3 years.

IMHO, you take Luongo 9 times outta 10.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Hackeybuff*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I would've said the same thing about Brian Elliott just last season. Goaltending is a crapshoot and the young Maple Leafs will not begin prematurely mortgaging the future to roll the dice on a goalie. We'll get one for just $$$ or on a rebate.
mortgage the future? You make it seem like its some kind of Lindros deal.

Toronto hasnt made the playoffs in 8 years. Thats a LOT of money the ownership has missed out on.

Its not just a tv show. Its a real live big dollar business. There are also players involved who get sick and tired of just waiting around for their careers to happen.

Most if not all want to win the cup. Not just sit around waiting for a decade to 'rebuild' in case they get ripped off in a trade.

It happens. Everyone wins trades. Everyone gets ripped off in trades. There is no GM who is immune to this

Old
06-03-2012, 03:48 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamhuisHip View Post
There will be a salary coming back in order for TOR to fit Luongo in and still have some flexability.
What about:

Luongo, Tanev, 2nd 2012, 1st 2013

for

Gardiner, Ashton, One of LACK, 2nd 2012.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
There will be a salary coming back in order for TOR to fit Luongo in and still have some flexability.
I'd be willing to do Schenn instead of Ashton...
Maybe if our 2nd was switched in for our 1st.

The original trade I would probably do, but is Gardiner>Tanev+26th overall? Probably a debate amongst each fanbase overvaluing it's prospects, but hey, it also means we get Schultz

Old
06-03-2012, 03:50 PM
AndyPipkin

I will say at the beginning of every year, or is it at the end(Can't remember), Schenn seems more and more depressed in his interview. He's been there almost as long as anymore(If not the longest) and you can see losing wear on him.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:51 PM
HamhuisHip
LeggsOverMyHamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
What about:

Luongo, Tanev, 2nd 2012, 1st 2013

for

Gardiner, Ashton, One of LACK, 2nd 2012.
Much...

Although of the LACK, I do not want Armstrong.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

The original trade I would probably do, but is Gardiner>Tanev+26th overall? Probably a debate amongst each fanbase overvaluing it's prospects, but hey, it also means we get Schultz
It just boggles my mind how Vancouver fans in this thread don't consider this from Toronto's perspective.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:53 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Leafs have enough cap flexibility...but if there's a cap dump coming back it'll be Luke Schenn.

06-03-2012, 03:54 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Not if you have the right coach and system as both PHX and STL have done with Elliot and Smith. Put those guys on PHI and do we see the same things happen like with Bryz? Probably.
Well the Maple Leafs will be implementing a new system, under a new coach, so maybe it's best not to jump the gun if it means paying a large sum for Roberto Luongo.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:54 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:

This is one of the reasons Gardiner won't be in a trade for Luongo, as it could cost us Schultz if he is coming here due to Gardiner.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:
I will say at the beginning of every year, or is it at the end(Can't remember), Schenn seems more and more depressed in his interview. He's been there almost as long as anymore(If not the longest) and you can see losing wear on him.
He is only 23, and a fresh start will do him good.
By the way, do leaf fans hold Gardiner or the 5th in higher regard?

I'd be willing to do 5th+Schenn+Lombardi/Connoly for Luongo+Tanev+Van 2nd

Old
06-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
i see no credible source that you speak for the leafs either so it works both ways.

Im sure after 5,423 posts on this subject we all get it. You dont want Luongo.

Someone else will . Why are you even on this thread anymore? This is a luongo thread not a leafs thread.
As i stated before, why are Canucks fans not proposing Luongo to ANY other teams than TO? I am still here because this whole thread is 90% Luongo to TO. So how are you surprised that the majority of responses are from Leaf fans? Since i last posted something similar than this, there have still only been Luongo to TO proposals....feel free to mix it up a little.

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
It just boggles my mind how Vancouver fans in this thread don't consider this from Toronto's perspective.
Astonishing, isn't it?

Truth is, fans are just excited about the potential return for Luongo, which is why you have so many Nucks fans in here proposing Lou for either Gardiner or the 5th overall pick, that they can't bear to consider trading him for less because there's no excitement in that.

Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamskull View Post
Luongo, Tanev, 1st

for

Gardiner, Ashton.

This is the type of trade that I think would benefit both teams.
not a chance Gardiner goes in the deal

Old
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Well the Maple Leafs will be implementing a new system, under a new coach, so maybe it's best not to jump the gun if it means paying a large sum for Roberto Luongo.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Carlyle has ever been a defense first coach...

Old
06-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Oh there is no doubt about that. If you were a betting man though(Minus trade costs) would you bet that Reimer will be anywhere near Luongo's level(Or even that of a goalie capable of getting you in the 2nd season) in 3 years or Luongo will be at or near his current level or play in 3 years.

IMHO, you take Luongo 9 times outta 10.
Oh come on....how can you minus the trade cost??? Thats kinda the whole point. What happens if the Leafs sign Vokoun and they make the postseason...wrong move then?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:02 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
He is only 23, and a fresh start will do him good.
By the way, do leaf fans hold Gardiner or the 5th in higher regard?

I'd be willing to do 5th+Schenn+Lombardi/Connoly for Luongo+Tanev+Van 2nd
the 5th is not going , gardiner is not going.

Schenn might but the other 2 are HIGHLY unlikely

I could see Gunnar in the deal somehow

Old
06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Oh come on....how can you minus the trade cost??? Thats kinda the whole point. What happens if the Leafs sign Vokoun and they make the postseason...wrong move then?
Good lord. Ok, say Reimer and Luongo play on 2 teams I just made up, who would you bet on?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Carlyle has ever been a defense first coach...
There's very few systems which you could implement that would hinder goalie performances any more so than Ron Wilson's. We don't need defense first, we just need some added stability so that our goalies and d-men aren't simply left out to dry. I'm not holding out for Vezina caliber goaltending from anyone on the Maple Leafs roster, but average grade goaltending would be an improvement.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:05 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Good lord. Ok, say Reimer and Luongo play on 2 teams I just made up, who would you bet on?
Give us Luongo (minus trade cost) and then ask the same question

Old
06-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Gutchecktime

If you trade for Luongo, you'd better make sure whatever you give up doesn't prevent you from putting a strong enough team around him to contend - not just make the playoffs, but contend - in the time that he's at the top of his game.

Gardiner and that 5th overall, IMO, would be two of the most important pieces for the organization's future and I wouldn't move either. Especially not if no other serious suitor emerges for Luongo. So far we've heard plenty of rumours about Toronto and a bunch more teams that reportedly have more interest in other goaltenders.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Astonishing, isn't it?

Truth is, fans are just excited about the potential return for Luongo, which is why you have so many Nucks fans in here proposing Lou for either Gardiner or the 5th overall pick, that they can't bear to consider trading him for less because there's no excitement in that.
Leafs fans are self-motivated, Canucks fans are self-motivated.

The difference is, if nothing happens the Canucks will go into next season as one of the favorites to win the Cup (even without adding anything) while the Leafs will again be counted as a non-playoff team (unless they get Vokoun which seems unlikely given Vokoun's stated objectives).

If I'm the Canucks I'd just keep Luongo if I'm not getting something that I want and I don't care what Toronto does.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
the 5th is not going , gardiner is not going.

Schenn might but the other 2 are HIGHLY unlikely

I could see Gunnar in the deal somehow
Source?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:07 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
There's very few systems which you could implement that would hinder goalie performances any more so than Ron Wilson's. We don't need defense first, we just need some added stability so that our goalies and d-men aren't simply left out to dry. I'm not holding out for Vezina caliber goaltending from anyone on the Maple Leafs roster, but average grade goaltending would be an improvement.
See, that I can agree with, but looking at Anaheim, without Hiller they would have been much worse imo and Hiller is up there in terms of goalies imo.

With average goaltending and Carlyle's system(If he uses what he normally does), I see Toronto turning into Dallas. Middle of the pack throughout the year and then down the stretch they either just make in the PO's or don't.

Closed Thread