HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
And to be fair, that might not even be what happened. There could definitely be cultural issues that are explained and speculated on the prospects board.
Perhaps, I don't hold it against the kid, I made mention in another thread that after hearing about the Russian factor for a 100 times at least I'd start getting pretty irritable when it keeps getting asked in particular if I want to play here like Nail says that he does.

06-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Is it just me or does Jim Matheson pull everything he writes out of his ass? Years before, he was sucking off Seguin and Larsson and is now doing the same with Murray, except this time, there actually is a gigantic gap between Yakupov and #2 whereas years before, Larsson and Seguin held #1 on some lists at some time. There is not a single reliable list out there that does not have Yakupov at #2. There are quite a few lists that don't have Murray in the top 5 though. Also, he almost always has no clue what the hell he's talking about, mistakening Justin Schultz for Jason Schultz, and Andrew Luck for Ryan Luck. Now, he's quoting Kevin Prendergast, a guy who took Jesse Ninnimaki 15th overall. Definitely a journalist who's opinion should not be valued at all.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:10 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

There's this feeling about Yakupov that I get is that he is one of the most driven, intense people out there, but he can let his personality come out too. He is a player who I think would make his career with one team and would thrive with the identity of that team being built on his shoulders. I love the kid already.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

I should preface by saying I think Tambo is not a good GM. I absolutely don't think he's capable of leading this organization to the cup or molding it into a winner(hell I have my doubt he can lead it to the playoffs).

With that being said, I don't think he'll pass on Yakupov. The one consistent this organization has had through this past 3 awful years is the draft. They've consistently drafted well and prospects have performed respectfully post draft.

Based on history I can't see Tambo taking Murray. Go back to last year. I thought Adam Larsson was one of the better D-man prospects to come out in a while. Playing only 65 games this season, he ranks #4 among Devils D-man for TOI, majority of that coming at ES. We passed on him(who at worst would've been our #4 this season) for RNH. Now to put it into context, we've been lacking a talented young blue chip D-man for a long time. I love Petry, Marincin etc, but these guys aren't blue chip D-man prospects(or weren't). They aren't in the Gormley territory. We instead added RNH. While he wasn't a reach at all, we bypassed need for the better prospect.

If you argue C is bigger need than D was last season(which I can agree with), then go back to the draft before. Minimal difference between Hall and Seguin, Hall being touted the better prospect, we bypassed the need for a RH centermen for the better prospect.

I think the past 2 drafts indicate we don't succumb to the 'need' side of the draft. If you argue C was a greater need last year than D was, I don't think you can argue LW was a greater need 2 years ago than C was. We took the best prospect the whole way.

The element that has changed this season would further push Tambo to draft BPA rather than need in my opinion. We were a mere what was it, 9 points away from joining only 2 other franchises in history to finish 30th 3 years running. In comparing to other rebuilds(Blackhawks for example), we fall short with regards to timeline needed to get back to competing. After selecting Kane, and having Kane and Toews both make the team the same season, they picked Kyle Beach 11th overall. Unless Tambo is completely oblivious and naive, I don't think he'll pick Murray to 'fix' our D issues this season. Rookie D-man rarely have the Doughty esque seasons. The best you can hope for imo are seasons like the ones Larsson and Pietrangelo had in New Jersey or St. Louis. It's also arguable if Murray is as good a prospect as the latter two. I personally don't think so.

Unless Katz has a plan to look the other way for years on end, you have to think unless we make a push for the playoffs(or maybe even make an appearance), Tambo's job is going to be on the line. It shouldn't take half a decade to build a team who can make the playoffs. Especially with our young talent. I severely doubt he's going to trust fixing a leaky D to a young player with no NHL experience. (well unless he's like Lowe, Shaggy to replace Pronger....smh)

Unless there is some underlying issues on Yakupov that hasn't been made public (severity of knee issues, doesn't get along with teammates, prefers Jersey Shore to Lost), I really don't see any logical reason for this organization and management to contemplate taking Murray over Yakupov.

And unless everybody on the scouting staff, management etc. is completely sold on Murray, then I have a feeling Yakupov will be in an Oilers jersey at the draft. Regardless of what soundbites are out there. (which there haven't been all that many which indicate something one way or another)

06-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The real reason why they're pumping up Murray is because they're planning to expend assets to trade for the #2 pick as well. We'll be getting Yakupov and Murray this year.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-03-2012, 02:28 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
The real reason why they're pumping up Murray is because they're planning to expend assets to trade for the #2 pick as well. We'll be getting Yakupov and Murray this year.

If we could make it happen without moving Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, RNH, Petry or Smid, then I'll be very happy. That being said.. we can't get the #2 pick without using those assets.

Look at the package that Columbus turned down for Nash. We can't affer anything like that, and I'm sure if they wanted something better than that for Nash, the same goes for #2

Old
06-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

That would be really nice, but I highly doubt it. I'd sooner try and add a 15-20 pick and take another D there or a bigger potential 2C.

Old
06-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And that's part of the package like Nail Yakupov. Last year there was Grimaldi who really put his faith out there and it turned some people off from it, I haven't heard those concerns about Nail, but it doesn't mean that he's any less committed to his religion. Personally I'd take the guy that keeps his beliefs under his hat unless asked about them. I am ignorant to Muslim beliefs because to be honest I didn't grow up with many Muslims here. That said it is very evident to see that they are very committed to their religion and beliefs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatarstan

His home state, very religious state within a state kinda

Old
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Haha. This kid, I love him:

can anyone name these guys, left to right?

Old
06-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Which picture?

They are in a different order in each one.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:13 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Murray, Forsberg, Subban, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko

Old
06-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Which picture?

They are in a different order in each one.
the top one.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Murray, Forsberg, Subban, Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko
thank you. well, Yakupov appears to come from quality stock. the kid looks like a movie star.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:27 PM
tsnTpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
thank you. well, Yakupov appears to come from quality stock. the kid looks like a movie star.
Not sure what this means regarding hockey/Oilers.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
This team needs some personality.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
nothing. just a comment.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:59 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Like others have said, this guy stands out big time. It's like he just leaps out of the picture.

And to put everyones worries to rest, Yaks is wearing Oiler colors in the pic.
He's leaping out of the picture because he's in the middle and his full body is showing compared to the other guys. I think Grigorenko or Murray would jump out just as much in the photo if they were to swap places with Yakupov. I wouldn't put to much stock on whether he's a keeper or not based on the two pictures.

Old
06-03-2012, 03:59 PM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

No tie? This guys looks a loose cannon.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpMorg View Post
No tie? This guys looks a loose cannon.
ZOMG! He doesn't wear a tie and is going to the KHL. Murray>Yakupov because he has a tie.

Seriously, why is it that so many people would do anything to not draft a Russian.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Soundwave

His attitude kinda reminds me of Glen Anderson.

You'd have Gretzky, Mess, Kurri in suits and then Anderson would show up in a Hawaiian t-shirt and shorts, lol.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
He's leaping out of the picture because he's in the middle and his full body is showing compared to the other guys. I think Grigorenko or Murray would jump out just as much in the photo if they were to swap places with Yakupov. I wouldn't put to much stock on whether he's a keeper or not based on the two pictures.
A good point is that he is in the middle of both pictures. He wants to be front and center.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Soundwave

He's probably getting ready to head over to Katz' place for dinner right now. I hope he really hammers it home to the Oilers that he wants to be no.1 and wants to be the best.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:14 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
ZOMG! He doesn't wear a tie and is going to the KHL. Murray>Yakupov because he has a tie.

Seriously, why is it that so many people would do anything to not draft a Russian.
I think your sarcasm detector is broken...

Old
06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
A good point is that he is in the middle of both pictures. He wants to be front and center.
exactly. he has the X factor or what they call in the fashion biz 'presence' (not that I have the foggiest clue about fashion). Hall's got 'it' as well.

now, that isn't necessarily a reason to pick him (I doubt Dustin Brown has the X factor but wouldn't we love to have him!!). but he has confidence and that makes me a little more confident that he can be a leader. certainly that quality is better than a shy guy that hides in the corner and keeps his head down, no?

the one worrisome things is can he be on a team inwhich he is not necessarily the go-to guy? if he ends up being better than Hall/Eberle/RNH than great, but what if he is a damn good number 4?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He's probably getting ready to head over to Katz' place for dinner right now. I hope he really hammers it home to the Oilers that he wants to be no.1 and wants to be the best.
Hopefully he doesn't say anything to offend him. Not that he would mean it, but he doesn't have a full grasp of English yet.

Closed Thread