HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Conacher

Old
06-03-2012, 03:33 PM
canucksPK

vCash: 500
Cory Conacher

What are you guys's expectations for him next year? Think he can slip into the top 6?

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

He sounds like a guy whos ready to come up and play with the big club. The problem is he would likely play top 6. We already have MSL who is a smaller guy in the top 6. Therefore having a guy like Conacher would mean we would have a pretty small top 6 with those two. I do like him though. He reminded me a lot of MSL when I saw him play in training camp scrimmages last year.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Govment Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
What are you guys's expectations for him next year? Think he can slip into the top 6?
This was Conacher rookie year in the AHL, expect he will be playing first/second line minutes in the AHL again next year. Steve Yzerman is taking his time developing the TB prospects. Would guess a couple more years playing at a high level in the AHL, with the possibility of call ups. Which is a good thing for the TB affiliate who ever there are next year.

Govment Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:19 PM
canucksPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govment Cheese View Post
This was Conacher rookie year in the AHL, expect he will be playing first/second line minutes in the AHL again next year. Steve Yzerman is taking his time developing the TB prospects. Would guess a couple more years playing at a high level in the AHL, with the possibility of call ups. Which is a good thing for the TB affiliate who ever there are next year.
But he was also AHL MVP and Tampa Bay doesn't have the most outstanding depth on forward..

Old
06-03-2012, 05:25 PM
HoseEmDown

Spending more time in the AHL won't help his developement, unless he struggles badly in camp and on the team. We have a good amount of in between players so camp battles are gonna be intense.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:40 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
But he was also AHL MVP and Tampa Bay doesn't have the most outstanding depth on forward..
Well, you did ask if he was going to break the top 6, and Tampa's top 6 is more than adequate. He might make the team (he was actually pretty close this season), but I don't think he will be playing in the top 6 initially. He's not going to displace any of: Purcell/Stamkos/St. Louis/Malone/Lecavalier and he'll have stiff competition for that last spot from Brown/Connolly and maybe Damien Brunner. It'll probably come down to either him or Connolly playing in the AHL next year.

Here are the lines (maybe):
Purcell // Stamkos // St. Louis
Malone // Lecavalier // Brown
Conacher // * // Brunner
Pyatt // Thompson // Hall

Pyatt had a good season this year, so he might be pushing for a 3rd line spot as well. If Connolly or Conacher aren't going to get consistent ice time in the NHL, it makes more sense to give them top line minutes in the AHL and call them up when a player in the top 6 gets injured.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:58 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Well, you did ask if he was going to break the top 6, and Tampa's top 6 is more than adequate. He might make the team (he was actually pretty close this season), but I don't think he will be playing in the top 6 initially. He's not going to displace any of: Purcell/Stamkos/St. Louis/Malone/Lecavalier and he'll have stiff competition for that last spot from Brown/Connolly and maybe Damien Brunner. It'll probably come down to either him or Connolly playing in the AHL next year.

Here are the lines (maybe):
Conacher // * // Brunner
Pyatt // Thompson // Hall

Pyatt had a good season this year, so he might be pushing for a 3rd line spot as well. If Connolly or Conacher aren't going to get consistent ice time in the NHL, it makes more sense to give them top line minutes in the AHL and call them up when a player in the top 6 gets injured.
I think Pyatt moves up a line so Tyrell can play on the 4th with Thompson

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:07 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
I think Pyatt moves up a line so Tyrell can play on the 4th with Thompson
Agreed I can see Pyatt being a fixture on the 3rd line given his season.

And let the DNA line loose again.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
BoltingAway

I think he could crack our top 9 and rotate in and out of the top 6. Problem is so might Killorn, Connolly, Brown, and Brunner if we sign him...So we've got some options.

BoltingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:29 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Where do people get this "we don't have depth at forward" notion. I've seen it way too often lately.

TB was one of only 4 teams I believe with 5 20 goal scorers and that was with two of them being injured for a chunk of the season. On top of that we have some very good prospects coming down the pipeline between this year and next.

If its one thing the Lightning have, it's depth at forward.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:12 PM
canucksPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Where do people get this "we don't have depth at forward" notion. I've seen it way too often lately.

TB was one of only 4 teams I believe with 5 20 goal scorers and that was with two of them being injured for a chunk of the season. On top of that we have some very good prospects coming down the pipeline between this year and next.

aka your third and 4th lines look awkward on paper/not complete. 1st 2 lines are generally fine

Old
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
aka your third and 4th lines look awkward on paper/not complete. 1st 2 lines are generally fine
3rd and 4th lines are fine. We have prototypical 3rd and 4th line players in those positions already. And if we want more scoring, we have the prospects to fill in on those lines as well.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:40 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:

I think it has a lot to do with the 3rd line.

The top 6 is prob one of the better ones in the NHL right now. The 4th line is good, who really nitpicks 4th lines anyways? I really like Pyatt/Thompson/Hall/Tyrell.

The 3rd line could improve in the scoring department a bit. I think a lot of it has to do with not having a good 3rd center right now. Dominic Moore would be nice to have back. He's not spectacular offensively, but if he has decent wingers he really anchors a 3rd line well (see the Bergenheim/Moore/Downie line from last yrs playoffs).

If we get Moore back I'll really like our top 9:
Conacher // Moore // Brunner

Old
06-03-2012, 09:56 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Conacher will be in Tampa next year, not the A. Probably in a 2-3 line tweener role until he gives them a reason for more ice time.

Not sure why you added Brunner on there.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:15 PM
HoseEmDown

Is it me or do people hate Connolly? If I'm SY I'd want my former #6 pick on the 2nd line and Brown and Conacher on the 3rd. I don't see a great fit for Brunner, I'm not sure what his two way game is like but that's what we need on bottom 6. I hope we don't resign Hall we need to let Killorn earn that spot. Our bottom 6 is also small we need to add someone with size and grit. But back to Conacher, he needs to be in the NHL learning from MSL even if he's on the bottom 6.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:35 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Is it me or do people hate Connolly? If I'm SY I'd want my former #6 pick on the 2nd line and Brown and Conacher on the 3rd. I don't see a great fit for Brunner, I'm not sure what his two way game is like but that's what we need on bottom 6. I hope we don't resign Hall we need to let Killorn earn that spot. Our bottom 6 is also small we need to add someone with size and grit. But back to Conacher, he needs to be in the NHL learning from MSL even if he's on the bottom 6.
Ideally we go into the season with two guys on the third line that could be considered second liners on most teams. We need to get back to rolling a line with plugin wingers like we did when Gagne was jumping on a line with Moore and Bergie. I think there is a chance Connolly is either gone, or in the AHL next year.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:38 PM
stammerhammer91

i think that boucher is gonna wanna go with 7 d men this year a lot because he likes that better and then he would be able to get connolly/brown/conacher a lot of different offensive oppurtunities with some of the big guns.

stammerhammer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:41 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Its sad to say but at this point I have seen more out of Brown than I did in a full season of Connolly. If I have a choice, i'm already about 75% sure who i'm going to war with next year.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:06 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Conacher will be in Tampa next year, not the A. Probably in a 2-3 line tweener role until he gives them a reason for more ice time.

Not sure why you added Brunner on there.
Meant to throw a "?" behind him, but it seems like we might sign him. If not, either bump Pyatt to the 3rd line or Brown down if we pick up a new top6 winger thats better.

Quote:
Its sad to say but at this point I have seen more out of Brown than I did in a full season of Connolly. If I have a choice, i'm already about 75% sure who i'm going to war with next year.
Well, the sample size for Brown is very small but I agree he looked better than Connolly did. Dare I say, but he actually looked very good playing on Vinny's line. It's important to understand that Brown is 3 yrs older than Connolly, it makes a pretty big difference.

I'll echo what some others have been saying, that Connolly showed a lot of improvement at the end of the year. I still don't think he looked better than Brown though.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:33 PM
chasespace

If Yzerman thinks Connolly needs more work he'll start the year in the AHL with Vlad.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:07 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
If Yzerman thinks Connolly needs more work he'll start the year in the AHL with Vlad.
If he's still our property, that's where he should be. And geez, talk about reloading. Sure you might lose conacher and maybe killorn to the NHL but you replace them with vladdy and Connolly. Poor babies lol

Old
06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
If he's still our property, that's where he should be. And geez, talk about reloading. Sure you might lose conacher and maybe killorn to the NHL but you replace them with vladdy and Connolly. Poor babies lol
And truthfully, i'm not sold on Brown being with the big club either if Brunner gets signed - having Brown-Connolly-Vlad as one of your top lines with Johnson, Panik, and others in Norfolk... holy **** they'd still be pretty ****ing stacked.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM
BoltingAway

Quote:
And truthfully, i'm not sold on Brown being with the big club either if Brunner gets signed - having Brown-Connolly-Vlad as one of your top lines with Johnson, Panik, and others in Norfolk... holy **** they'd still be pretty ****ing stacked.
That's what I've been thinking. Conacher and Killorn seem ready (or at least very close), and if we sign Brunner it would be for the big club. While Brown didn't look out of place, he wasn't able to finish in the 5 games he got playing on a scoring line, so I'm not real comfortable just yet saying he's locked in for a spot on the big club. Having guys like Brown and Connolly in the AHL, who have tasted the NHL and will be hungry to get back in would not be a bad thing.

BoltingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:14 AM
2 Weekes Notice

I kind of doubt you sign Brown to a max ELC to send him to the farm for the only full year of it. If we stash him in the A this year, I can't imagine he'd resign here. There was a pretty decent competition for his signature as I understand.

I think we'll use him as an energy liner a la Downie during the '11 playoff run - which, of course, is a strategy that would be helped by resigning Dominic Moore.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:28 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

I highly doubt Brown will be in the AHL next year. We need one winger for the 2nd line, and 2 wingers for the 3rd line. Assuming we sign Brunner, Brown would still have to be outperformed by any two of Connolly/Conacher/Killorn at camp to get bumped.

I really think Killorn will be start the season in the AHL unless he either has an amazing camp or we can't sign Brunner(or any UFA).

Maybe Pyatt will be pushing for a 3rd line spot, but I still think Brown has a leg up on Conacher/Connolly/Killorn at this point.

As "Still All In" pointed out, we have a very nice log jam of young forwards developing. Who ever wins, we win?

I don't think you can knock Brown for not finishing in only 5 games. Stamkos had a stretch of 5 games this season where he didn't score any goals too ya know.