HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Josh Harding to ???

Old
06-03-2012, 03:16 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
What?

That makes no sense.

One of the teams Harding actually does well again is Detroit. You're telling me they slack off on those games?
Well lets put it this way, does any team say before a game against MIN or NYI "This is a measuring stick game for us. We get up for games like this." ?

No you don't. Truth of the matter is teams play harder against, DET, the reigning champs, rivals, and whoever are the flavours of the month(IE Vancouver etc).

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Yeah, I read that Howson and his staff didn't like Bernier that much to make him a centerpiece in the Carter deal. I think they made a good choice with Jack Johnson.

About Harding, I would obviously love him in Pittsburgh if he can't get a starting job. Come to Pittsburgh, play more to give Fleury a rest, Johnson played 16 games last year while Fleury played 67, I think Harding can easily play 25-30+ games as a backup.

But I think he will get a starting job somewhere.
Harding isn't going to go to another team to be a back-up yet again so why would he go to Pittsburgh when he could do the exact same thing here with Backstrom and maybe even a little more? Harding isn't all that concerned about winning, he just wants a chance to prove he can be a no. 1 and if nobody's willing to give him that chance, I'm guessing he re-signs with us. He likes it here and has been nothing but patient and a class act with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
Hard for me to put faith in a guy who puts up not so great stats on a defense first team.

Sure MIN isn't a great team, but other teams aren't bringing their "A" game against them.
Minnesota may play a more defensive system, but it's not like we exactly have a good defense to do that with. Half the guys on our defense at the end of the year you probably wouldn't have even heard of. Harding and Backstrom play with one of the worst defenses in the league in front of them.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Bennett Brauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Harding isn't going to go to another team to be a back-up yet again so why would he go to Pittsburgh when he could do the exact same thing here with Backstrom and maybe even a little more? Harding isn't all that concerned about winning, he just wants a chance to prove he can be a no. 1 and if nobody's willing to give him that chance, I'm guessing he re-signs with us. He likes it here and has been nothing but patient and a class act with us.
That's fine. If nobody wants to give him a starting job I could see him staying in Minnesota. I was just saying I would like to have him in Pittsburgh if nobody gives him a starting job.

Like I said though, I think someone will give him a chance to start.

Bennett Brauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 04:26 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Minnesota may play a more defensive system, but it's not like we exactly have a good defense to do that with. Half the guys on our defense at the end of the year you probably wouldn't have even heard of. Harding and Backstrom play with one of the worst defenses in the league in front of them.
Even when MIN had a decent defence his numbers were underwhelming.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Even when MIN had a decent defence his numbers were underwhelming.
Can't argue with that. Should be interesting to see what kind of numbers he can put up given a larger sample size though. I'd be interested to see how he holds up if he plays 40+ games in a season. I wish him luck wherever he goes. I think (in terms of the team itself) Columbus or Toronto would be perfect for him. He won't be guaranteed a starting job but he'll battle it out with either Mason or Reimer and I'm sure he'll get more playing time than he would with us. Not sure if he'd like all the added pressure of playing in a market like Toronto though or going to an organization in such disorder such as Columbus.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:50 PM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Can't argue with that. Should be interesting to see what kind of numbers he can put up given a larger sample size though. I'd be interested to see how he holds up if he plays 40+ games in a season. I wish him luck wherever he goes. I think (in terms of the team itself) Columbus or Toronto would be perfect for him. He won't be guaranteed a starting job but he'll battle it out with either Mason or Reimer and I'm sure he'll get more playing time than he would with us. Not sure if he'd like all the added pressure of playing in a market like Toronto though or going to an organization in such disorder such as Columbus.
Damn, why can't more people here post like this

I see him going to CBJ for some reason. Not sure why.

Funny thing is, he could go to Toronto and get on a hot streak the first year, TO changes all their plans, and then he regresses back. That would hurt.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Damn, why can't more people here post like this

I see him going to CBJ for some reason. Not sure why.

Funny thing is, he could go to Toronto and get on a hot streak the first year, TO changes all their plans, and then he regresses back. That would hurt.
I know Tampa Bay is a possibility as well but if he went there he'd definitely be the starter and I'm not sure Yzerman would be willing to put enough trust in Harding to do that. After all, he has had some injury problems and has never played in more than 34 games in a season. I think a place like the above mentioned Columbus or Toronto would be best. A place where he can battle another goalie for the starting job, not just be handed it.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Numbers

34 GP
0.917 Save %
2.62 Gaa

Why are so many people confortable with these numbers as your teams new started?

If this performance was replicated over an entire season it is average at best. Usually backup goalies get easier games and more preperation time. That is why backups have good numbers, because they are protected.

For teams expecting Harding to jump in and be a good #1 are very optimistic. It seems risky to bet on him turning a teams goaltending situation around.

Numbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
34 GP
0.917 Save %
2.62 Gaa

Why are so many people confortable with these numbers as your teams new started?

If this performance was replicated over an entire season it is average at best. Usually backup goalies get easier games and more preperation time. That is why backups have good numbers, because they are protected.

For teams expecting Harding to jump in and be a good #1 are very optimistic. It seems risky to bet on him turning a teams goaltending situation around.
Just looking at save %, Harding was 16th out of 45 per NHL.com. Better than Vokoun, Theodore, Price, Miller, Ward, Niemi, Fleury, etc.

Hell yeah I'd be comfortable rolling with him as my #1.

Also, Harding was almost a 1B as opposed to a backup; Yeo plays hot goalies more that #1-#2: also, healthy goalies.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think that would be the plan for a Vokoun, not a Harding. Although we may well draft one of the big three 'tenders anyways.
how far away do you see yourselves from playoffs and contending? If it's one or two pieces away (and goalie being one of them) then you make the move.

But if you're looking to deal Nash and other vets and build around Johnson, Johansen, the #2 pick, Brassard + whatever else you get from Nash and vet deals then probably better to go with a younger and cheaper alternative just to see if he fits into the rebuild.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote