HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is there a big difference between the 9900 and 7500 cage?

Old
06-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Injektilo

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Is there a big difference between the 9900 and 7500 cage?

I don't like wearing cages, but I recognize I'd probably like visiting the dentist for hours on end even less. I have a visor, but I'm thinking I should get a cage. I'm gonna get the best available, but the 9900 and 7500 are the same price everywhere. Is there a big difference in vision between them? That's what I'm concerned about...

I have a Bauer 4500 helmet, regular (I'm guessing) Sr size. What size cage do I want then? Med? Large? Any ideas? Haven't bought a cage in a long long time...

Thanks...

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 04:36 PM
rk5n

The 9900 is more oval shaped when viewed from the side whereas the 7500 has a flatter profile. Both have the narrow bars which I find are great for vision. As far as a difference in vision between the two, the 9900 should be a little bit better than the 7500

Helmets are sized sm/md/lg same as cages. Usually you select the same size cage as your helmet, but you'd be best off going to your local hockey shop and making sure to get the right size to match the height of your face (making sure to allign the chin cup to the chin). Once you do that you can bend the sides of the cage in or out to get them to fit your j clips (wear your j clips). I have a medium Bauer 7500 helmet with a large Bauer 7500 cage bent in slightly

rk5n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk5n View Post
The 9900 is more oval shaped when viewed from the side whereas the 7500 has a flatter profile. Both have the narrow bars which I find are great for vision. As far as a difference in vision between the two, the 9900 should be a little bit better than the 7500

Helmets are sized sm/md/lg same as cages. Usually you select the same size cage as your helmet, but you'd be best off going to your local hockey shop and making sure to get the right size to match the height of your face (making sure to allign the chin cup to the chin). Once you do that you can bend the sides of the cage in or out to get them to fit your j clips (wear your j clips). I have a medium Bauer 7500 helmet with a large Bauer 7500 cage bent in slightly
Thanks. I was gonna buy online from the US (shipped to in-laws in Chicago where I'm going next week) because it's a hell of a lot cheaper than stores up here. I called the customer service, they recommended a large cage because I'm 6ft. Is that accurate enough? Believe it or not, not many hockey shops in downtown TO.

Mostly concerned about the vision, I used to wear a cage and hated it, switched to a visor when I was able to. Now I'm in need of a new visor, so I figured I should do the mature thing and at least try a cage out. Just wondered why the two were the same price if one was noticeably better than the other.

Old
06-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Stickmata

The 9900 has the best vision of any cage I've ever put on due to the flat bars, but it's still a cage and still ain't perfect.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:32 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Not sure, but the difference in the 9900 and the 7500 might come down to weight. Maybe someone else here can confirm.

I used to have an Easton cage on my E700, and it made the setup front-heavy. Switching to the 9900 made a HUGE difference ... to the point, I don't notice the weight of the lid/cage at all.

You might also checkout the Bauer Reakt cages, which are starting to show up in stores. They're supposed to be Ti and even lighter than the 9900, with the same flat bar construction.

As for fit, as the poster above noted, best to take your actual helmet and have the shop fit it. Not sure if you're planning on wearing a mouthguard with the cage, but keep in mind that that will have some bearing on the fit.

rayuelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 05:36 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Forgot to mention, the 9900 cage no longer appears on the Bauer website. Looks like the Reakt model replaces it, whereas the 7500 carries on.

Again not sure, but the fact that they're discontinuing might explain the pricing.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:25 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayuelo View Post
Forgot to mention, the 9900 cage no longer appears on the Bauer website. Looks like the Reakt model replaces it, whereas the 7500 carries on.

Again not sure, but the fact that they're discontinuing might explain the pricing.
Correct.

The Re-Akt cage is hands down the lightest cage I have ever seen. That being said, I have yet to compare it to an Itech Titanium, though I would guess the Re-Akt is still lighter.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:27 PM
rayuelo
Have Wheeling Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Correct.

The Re-Akt cage is hands down the lightest cage I have ever seen. That being said, I have yet to compare it to an Itech Titanium, though I would guess the Re-Akt is still lighter.
Have you seen the Re-Akt live? Besides the material and weight, how does the build compare to the 9900?

Old
06-03-2012, 10:57 PM
AIREAYE

It's a bit longer/taller than the 99/7500, width is about the same. Bar positioning was similar if not the same iirc.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:34 AM
bp spec

The 9900 cage is damn ugly. I use an Itech cage.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
AIREAYE

Cool.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
This is totally helpful considering Itech is still a company and wasn't bought by Mission/Bauer several years ago.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:00 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
I would agree that the 9900 is not the best looking cage out there. I've tried to switch to a CCM FM 480 b/c I heard it was good and it looked a lot better. Well the FM 480 does look better, but it was also much heavier and the vision was worse. Needless to say I'm back in my 9900 now.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

9900 is the best cage I've used or seen. It's worth the $15-20 or whatever the upcharge is. Lighter, thinner bars, and a rust-resistant chrome coating. I had the cheaper cage and it rusted out after 18 months. I've had the 9900 for four years and no rust at all.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Injektilo

I don't care at all how it looks, I just want whatever cage will be least noticeable for me while I'm wearing it. Looks like the 9900 is it. If I can't stand it, I'll sell it and switch back.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
I don't care at all how it looks, I just want whatever cage will be least noticeable for me while I'm wearing it. Looks like the 9900 is it. If I can't stand it, I'll sell it and switch back.
There isn't a better cage out there from a vision perspective.

And for those folks who think one cage is better looking than another...seriously? You think there are actually cages that look good?

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:35 PM
bp spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
This is totally helpful considering Itech is still a company and wasn't bought by Mission/Bauer several years ago.
I'm glad that I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I would agree that the 9900 is not the best looking cage out there. I've tried to switch to a CCM FM 480 b/c I heard it was good and it looked a lot better. Well the FM 480 does look better, but it was also much heavier and the vision was worse. Needless to say I'm back in my 9900 now.
The CCM FM 480, does look nice. I think black cages look better. At least on dark colored helmets. But the vision is indeed better wearing a 9900 compared to a FM 480 and it's lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
The 9900 will not bother you. You don't think of it while playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
There isn't a better cage out there from a vision perspective.

And for those folks who think one cage is better looking than another...seriously? You think there are actually cages that look good?
Cages can look good. At least that's what you're hoping if you have no choice but using one.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote