Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
For those who don't really know what I'm talking about here's the clip:
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip691341#clip691341

Other notes: Hampus clocked the top number for VO2 Max Duration for the entire combine at 14:40. Next best was more than a minute behind him with Ryan Murray doing 13:32. There wasn't much else of note for him at the combine.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
How exactly do you pronounce Koekkoek? This has been bugging me for a while.
It's pronounced Kook-Kook, although oftentimes with the two k's side by side you'll hear Koo-Kook.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:35 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

Other notes: Hampus clocked the top number for VO2 Max Duration for the entire combine at 14:40. Next best was more than a minute behind him with Ryan Murray doing 13:32. There wasn't much else of note for him at the combine.
Am I the only person That is extremely annoyed Apple with their obscene valuation can't get a deal done to allow Adobe flash player on their devices??? WTF !!! I would have liked to watch this clip.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:01 PM
TCsmyth

vCash: 500
Quote:

Sweech, great pickup on this kid with the body language references. Excellent self awareness for a youngster.

I have been involved with enough Championship teams to know that winners are aware of, and exude the right body language. They know there is a huge impact on your own team - and on the other. If you show unreasonable frustration, it tells your teammates that you are "out of it", and it signals to the other team "we got these guys".

Rare for a young guy to say something like that.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Aerial

Quote:
A guy whose interview I really liked from the draft combine was Hampus Lindholm.

He kept talking about "body language", but the thing I liked was he seemed genuinely concerned about just being a good person and a good teammate. Seems like a quiet leader in the making and a "character" guy that Chevy and co. might be taking a look at.
I definitely see what you mean; I went to take a look when I saw this post and I would have guessed he was 10 years older than he was based on how he spoke and carried himself. Seems very poised and mature for his age.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Sweech
COYS!

He just seems like a genuinely good and nice kid.

He had several answers that really blew me away.

1st: In describing why he thinks he's a top prospect, "my team did well" shows he puts top value on team success, not just personal success.
2nd: When asked to describe himself to someone whose never seen him he asked, "as a person or as a player?" Most prospects immediately dive into their playing styles. It's evident throughout the video, but he clearly puts a premium on himself for having "character".
3rd: Talks about being calm on the ice and never giving up as playing traits. Most answers are standard, "I have a good shot and good skating". He gives a more in-depth answers to who he "is". (As an aside from what I've heard he's actually an outstanding skater and quite possibly one of the best if not the best skater in this draft.)
4th: The thing that blew me away by far the most is his genuine concern for just being a good person. He wants people that meet him to leave with the impression that he's just a good person. He doesn't want to impress them in any way, just show them he's a good person and that he's always doing his best. That kind of response just blows me away, it really does.
5th: Again he goes back to knowing someone as a person as being a premium in his books. When asked who he likes as a player he states he really likes his D coach, because he was a great player AND he knows him as a person. He goes on to state other players he enjoys watching, but the fact he even starts the answer in that way blows me away.
6th: He gave the best answer to "what could you improve?" and that answer is "everything". He's not the only one to say it, but this goes for every player, irrespective of age. Lots of players say it, but to be quite honest it's always the correct answer.

I had to do some more research on him after that interview. Hard to tell if he'd be a reach at 9th for us as some have him as a mid-rounder and others have him very high (highest I believe was 5th overall that I saw). The overall thing I've noticed is that he's been a huge climber and rankings released later have him very high and those that came out earlier are the ones that have him in the mids.

From reports I read his skating is outstanding and his offensive skills and reads are top notch. Like he said he wants to improve his shooting and I think that will come with time as he develops and his upper body strength grows. The main concern with him are his defensive reads. He apparently has trouble with gap-control and either goes for a hit too soon, or gives the forward too much space. Hard to tell if it's a hockey IQ thing or something that can come with time and coaching. Personally I think it's the latter (but hell I'm biased, I really like the kid) as said before his skating is outstanding and I think he still needs to grow into himself and his abilities and learn just how quickly he has to skate backwards in order to not outpace the opposing forward (which apparently happens as I've read that he can skate backwards faster than most can skate forwards). The good thing is that he has good coaching in Rogle, so if that's the issue he'll get help with it over the years.

I'm putting myself in a bad position here as I'm almost growing too attached. I seriously hope Chevy and co. draft this kid at #9 now.

I don't want to jinx myself, but Lindholm at 9 and Di Giuseppe at 39 (although I highly doubt he'll make it out of the first round) would be my dream draft.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:08 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Am I the only person That is extremely annoyed Apple with their obscene valuation can't get a deal done to allow Adobe flash player on their devices??? WTF !!! I would have liked to watch this clip.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ad-letter-dead

Famous feud between Jobs and Adobe

Old
06-03-2012, 11:13 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:

Went to the TSN website and was able to access it........love this kids interview and now know what the other posters and yourself were talking about...... It's just a snapshot but the best way I can sum up my feelings is if I was his age I would love to be team mates with this guy. I know we will "probably" (who knows this year) have more highly rated prospects to choose from at #9 but I am a bit jealous that we probably won't get to see Hampus in a Jets uniform.

Last edited by ps241: 06-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 11:37 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Dammit Sweech you're killing me.........you dangle this kid and make me go and look him up and i find out he is 6'3" 200 lbs so he has the size, skating, and offensive tools to boot! He is rising now and that interview will not hurt at all.

With TNSE's weighting and priority on character and this kids talent level how big a reach is he at #9 given how wacky this year is?

Old
06-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Dammit Sweech you're killing me.........you dangle this kid and make me go and look him up and i find out he is 6'3" 200 lbs so he has the size, skating, and offensive tools to boot! He is rising now and that interview will not hurt at all.

With TNSE's weighting and priority on character and this kids talent level how big a reach is he at #9 given how wacky this year is?
There was that one ranking that had us taking Hampus Lindholm and at first me and my friends were all "We have never heard of this person."

I'm so excited for the draft. I have a feeling I'll be happy with whoever they pick. Maybe it'll be a reach, maybe it won't be, but I feel comfortable with Chevy and company picking some good kids for us.

Mostly I'm just excited about having some new Jets news and getting some new prospects to learn about. That should take up at least a month of the off-season...

Old
06-03-2012, 11:47 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
Thanks for the read........Steve could be......ah.....shall we call it steadfast in his resolve at times

Old
06-03-2012, 11:51 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
There was that one ranking that had us taking Hampus Lindholm and at first me and my friends were all "We have never heard of this person."

I'm so excited for the draft. I have a feeling I'll be happy with whoever they pick. Maybe it'll be a reach, maybe it won't be, but I feel comfortable with Chevy and company picking some good kids for us.

Mostly I'm just excited about having some new Jets news and getting some new prospects to learn about. That should take up at least a month of the off-season...
Yea Aerial I know it's only been one year but it's a lifetime in my prospects knowledge. last year when Don Cherry was sitting with the top prospects during a playoff game on TV I couldn't have told you one kids name.....not one!!! This year when he was on the air with the 7 prospects last game I could tell you everyone of their names and a quick scouting report on each one

Old
06-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

A bit of a reach, but not overly so. He has been a huge riser in the 2nd half of the year. But I think that Trouba or Reinhart will still be on the board at that point and to take Lindholm over either of them if the Jets go D would not be the right move. Smooth skater, nice first pass, likes to jump up in the play, but some holes in the defensive game as he likes force the play a little. Would not be terribly upset with him, but would not be happy either.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
nabby12

The goalie we really should be drafting in the later rounds is my client, 6"7 Norwegian goaltender Thomas Narmo.

Lots of potential in him...here's the latest video of him just uploaded today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93RT...ature=youtu.be

Old
06-04-2012, 12:12 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
A bit of a reach, but not overly so. He has been a huge riser in the 2nd half of the year. But I think that Trouba or Reinhart will still be on the board at that point and to take Lindholm over either of them if the Jets go D would not be the right move. Smooth skater, nice first pass, likes to jump up in the play, but some holes in the defensive game as he likes force the play a little. Would not be terribly upset with him, but would not be happy either.
I don't think you'll be happy regardless.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Unless the name called is Radek Faksa.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
The goalie we really should be drafting in the later rounds is my client, 6"7 Norwegian goaltender Thomas Narmo.

Lots of potential in him...here's the latest video of him just uploaded today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p93RT...ature=youtu.be
Looking at his size, Nashville is sure to snap him up before anyone gets a sniff at him.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:58 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Looking at his size, Nashville is sure to snap him up before anyone gets a sniff at him.
True fact: If you stack Narmo and Rinne end to end, they'd be longer than a classic Boston whaler.

Ok, so it's a slow day at work.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Yea I am starting to look forward to our draft. Did you listen to his interview Holden? Usually I kind of blow the interviews off because they all seem similar and if I wanted to find out about a prospects character I would hope we have the scouting assets to get this information without talking to the kid. that being said this Lindholm interview was different.

Like you said I will not be dissapointed if we take him.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Bob E

If Trouba is there at #9, I would hope the jets take him, rather than Lindholm.

If Trouba, Murray, Galchenyuk and Faksa are gone - then Lindholm would be fine.

I think the Jets are focused on forward and I see a greater chance that Gaunce is taken, rather than Lindholm.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
If Trouba is there at #9, I would hope the jets take him, rather than Lindholm.

If Trouba, Murray, Galchenyuk and Faksa are gone - then Lindholm would be fine.

I think the Jets are focused on forward and I see a greater chance that Gaunce is taken, rather than Lindholm.
What if Teravainen is available?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I really hope a top ranking forward slips or we take another forward, Gaunce, Faska or Teravaine.

We need to take what will help us fill the holes in our system.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Personally, not a 'big' TT fan. I'd rather the Jets drafted a more physical player with offensive upside.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Bob E

You know, the more you read and watch reports on the draft eligible players, the more you want more than one of them. With that in mind, completely hypothetically and with no chance of this actually happening, what if...

The Jets trade....

1. Buff + 2013 4th rd pick... to Minny for 2012 1st rd pick (#7) + Clutterbuck + a 2013 2nd rd pick
2. Enstrom + 2013 3rd rd pick... to Philly for 2012 1st rd pick (#20) + Simmonds
3. Their 2012 1st rd pick (#9) + 2012 2nd rd pick (#38) + 2012 6th rd pick ... to Buffalo for 2 - 2012 1st rd picks (#12 & #21)

So...

Jets lose Buff and Enstrom off their roster, but gain Clutterbuck and Simmonds.

They also pick:

#7 - Faksa (C)
#12 - Ceci (D)
#20 - Koekkoek (D)
#21 - Sissons (C/W)

Would likely mean they would need to sign a Dman (or two) in FA, but fills the prospect cupboard with 1st round guys (who are most likely to actually make the NHL).

2012/13 Line-up:

Ladd/Little/Wheeler
Kane/Burmi (or Antro)/Simmonds
Glass*/Slater* (or Burmi)/Clutterbuck
Machacek/Cormier/Thorbs

Hainsey/Bogo
Clitsome/FA
Stuart/Postma
Kulda

* assumes they are re-signed.

In future (couple of yrs)...

Kane/Scheifele/Wheeler
Burmi/Faksa/Simmonds
Ladd/Little/Sissons
Klingberg/Cormier/Clutterbuck

Koekkoek/Bogo
Clitsome (or Kulda)/Ceci
Stuart/Postma

Old
06-05-2012, 02:20 PM
Bob E

I know Holden will likely challenge me on this, but i'd really like the Jets to get another 1st rd pick (#15-#25) to take Sissons, if he's still there. I just feel he'd be a very good jet. I can see him growing into a leader and effective 2nd line RW role, in the future.

One report on him...
“Defensively, Sissons is one of, if not the best draft eligible forwards in his own end,” HP’s Western Canada Scout Charles An wrote in the HP January newsletter. “He makes very good reads and makes himself very useful in any situation. Not only does he read the plays well, but his intensity without the puck is what makes him one of the best two-way forwards in the WHL. He backchecks hard, plays a physical game and fearlessly blocks shots on a game-to-game basis.”

“For the most part I’ve been stuck in front of the net,” Sissons explains. “That’s where I’ve made my office this year, if you want to call it that. I just get in front of the goalie’s eyes and bang home a couple rebounds. I’m not afraid of getting in the greasy areas and banging them home, so that’s where I score most of my power play goals.”

Sissons stands at 6-foot-1, 190-pounds and plays a hardnosed power forward game that makes him a nightmare for opponents.

“I’ve got a bigger frame than some guys so I definitely use my size to an advantage,” Sissons says. “Physicality is a huge part of my game that really wears down the opposing defense so I’m always on the body and I’m always looking to finish my hits.”

Now his plus/minus would suggest he has some work to do defensively, but i believe his style of game will come in very handy in 2 to 3 yrs. When the Jets are in a playoff run...

Closed Thread