HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Glen Sather looking at free agency - "We don't trade kids"

Old
06-03-2012, 09:29 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Sturm isn't a top 6 winger? Who is in your opinion? Who is a top 6 winger that we can afford.
Sturm hasn't played a full season in years.

He hasn't posted top 6 numbers in longer than that.

07-08 was the last season Sturm posted anthing resembling top 6 numbers.

He's old and broken.

If that's all there is out there, then I am 100% satisfied doing nothing.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:32 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Sturm hasn't played a full season in years.

He hasn't posted top 6 numbers in longer than that.

07-08 was the last season Sturm posted anthing resembling top 6 numbers.

He's old and broken.

If that's all there is out there, then I am 100% satisfied doing nothing.

On OUR team, Sturm is a top 6 winger IMO. Sturm-Richards-Gaborik sounds alot better than Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik IMO since Sturm has a few 20+ goal seasons. And i only say Ponikarovsky because of his play in the playoffs, he looked pretty good against us. And i always liked Stempniak but maybe he isn't top 6 material, i have to do some research on him.

NewYorkRangers89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I respectfully disagree.

I've felt all along that we need another game-breaking offensive player. Because when teams key in on Richards and Gaborik, we need another player who can carry the offensive load every once in a while.

Adding another 25 goal scorer may not be that much of a difference and you'd still see this team grind to get goals. The way the league has become, a 25 goal scorer can be anything from an average 2nd liner to a good 3rd line grinder (aka Dubinsky).

We need another game-breaker (and I don't think Parise falls into that category).
I think the team needs another "game breaking player" to:

1)Help to Move the PP to respectability.
2)Possibly take some pressure off the D. who is often boxed in to their own zone.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Forever Blue

Quote:
On OUR team, Sturm is a top 6 winger IMO. Sturm-Richards-Gaborik sounds alot better than Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik IMO since Sturm has a few 20+ goal seasons. And i only say Ponikarovsky because of his play in the playoffs, he looked pretty good against us. And i always liked Stempniak but maybe he isn't top 6 material, i have to do some research on him.
At this point, Sturm could barely crack the Whale's top six.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Sturm is a top 6 winger? The same guy who had an amazing five points in 42 games this year?

Oh boy...it's going to be a long offseason on HF.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Graves94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
He'll be without Andrei Kostitsyn, who was the problem child.

Notice how Sergei went to Nashville, and he was fine, but in Montreal he was viewed as a problem when he was there, with Andrei.

Andrei is the problem here, not Radulov, not Sergei.
Agreed!
I live in Montreal, and Andrei was the problem child here. He was known to hang out with questionable characters and party all night.

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
On OUR team, Sturm is a top 6 winger IMO. Sturm-Richards-Gaborik sounds alot better than Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik IMO since Sturm has a few 20+ goal seasons.
What you're doing here is called 2003 scouting, and it isn't very effective in practice.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Sturm? Seriously... I guess offseason has officially started.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:23 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

After seeing Sturm mentioned here, I see some posters still think it's 2008.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:31 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Sturm was an idea, at least it's realistic unlike the Parise, Ryan and Nash ideas. Why the hell would we trade for Ryan or Nash?

Old
06-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Sturm was an idea, at least it's realistic unlike the Parise, Ryan and Nash ideas. Why the hell would we trade for Ryan or Nash?
Because they aren't washed up.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:45 PM
benneyb

Radulov has to be one of the worst ideas I've seen on here in quite a while. We must be desperate, when people are thinking of picking up a guy who broke his contract once, and even without knowing the exact circumstances, it's fair to say let his team down in this year's playoffs. The article linked earlier in the thread had an interesting note about Keith Jones running a 60+ second video clip of Radulov's mistakes/misplays and laziness. This guy would be an epic fail on the Rangers, and is most assuredly not a Tort's Guy.

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:49 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Because they aren't washed up.

So let's trade the whole team away or ruin the cap because they aren't washed up. let's give Columbus Kreider, Dubinsky, 1st rounder, Del Zotto and another prospect because Nash isn't washed up. I didn't even know Ryan was available, i thought he was signed and kicking ass in Anaheim. And let's sign Parise for 8 mil and ruin next years cap so we can't sign McDonagh.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
So let's trade the whole team away or ruin the cap because they aren't washed up. let's give Columbus Kreider, Dubinsky, 1st rounder, Del Zotto and another prospect because Nash isn't washed up. I didn't even know Ryan was available, i thought he was signed and kicking ass in Anaheim. And let's sign Parise for 8 mil and ruin next years cap so we can't sign McDonagh.
Kreider would NOT be included in the deal (or probably any deal outside of a Malkin or Stamkos), and Dubinsky+Del Zotto+ a prospect + a 1st rd pick would be a great deal for the Rangers. Nash replaces Dubinsky, Erixon could probably slide into Del Zotto's spot, and the 1st rounder will probably end up like the 28th pick. Dubinsky's salary + not having to resign Del Zotto to a deal would almost pay for Nash's contract. Also, Sather already tried to make a deal for Nash last deadline, so he's not worried about the cap so I'm not sure why Ranger fans are.

lines would be.

Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Fedotenko
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

Lundsanity30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:16 AM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Kreider would NOT be included in the deal (or probably any deal outside of a Malkin or Stamkos), and Dubinsky+Del Zotto+ a prospect + a 1st rd pick would be a great deal for the Rangers. Nash replaces Dubinsky, Erixon could probably slide into Del Zotto's spot, and the 1st rounder will probably end up like the 28th pick. Dubinsky's salary + not having to resign Del Zotto to a deal would almost pay for Nash's contract. Also, Sather already tried to make a deal for Nash last deadline, so he's not worried about the cap so I'm not sure why Ranger fans are.

lines would be.

Nash-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Anisimov-Fedotenko
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

Are you out of your mind? They already asked for Kredier when he had no NHL experience, now the kid has playoff experience so they will definetly ask for him now if we tried trading for Nash... Yea, Dubinsky, DZ 1st rounder and prospect being KREIDER. Erixon PROBABLY could slide in Del Zotto's spot? Probably means you aren't sure which means we spend another season teaching a young dman how to play in the NHL and we take a step back. Great idea. Nash is not coming here unless Kreider is involved in the deal i put my life on it. Sather TRIED and that means he didn't because the price was too high. Why would a team want our 1st rounder anyway? It isn't even a good one, if anything they would probably want a package of picks.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
A guy who can put up 70 is a first line player

3rd line players don't score 30 goals (well, close enough in Cally's case)

He's a 2nd line player through and through at this point, he just needs to stay healthy
Thank you! Callahan was 13th in goals and 24th in points among RW's, is excellent defensively, and people are seriously calling him a third liner or saying he'd be on the third line on a good offensive team? Which team, exactly? Some of you folks need your head's examined and need to look around the league and see what the average second and third line players score like. Point-wise, on mathematical averages, top line players are usually 60+ pts range, second liners 30-60 pts, third liners 15-30 pts.

Cake or Death is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:48 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laces out Dan View Post
Thank you! Callahan was 13th in goals and 24th in points among RW's, is excellent defensively, and people are seriously calling him a third liner or saying he'd be on the third line on a good offensive team? Which team, exactly? Some of you folks need your head's examined and need to look around the league and see what the average second and third line players score like. Point-wise, on mathematical averages, top line players are usually 60+ pts range, second liners 30-60 pts, third liners 15-30 pts.
Hence why if we get some top end talent and the pack line becomes our third line we become very deep.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
IMO--you're one of the smartest posters here RB but this guy has too many issues for my blood. He might be fine here but until now he has shown himself very much to be a mercenary and if he doesn't hit it off with Torts this is going to go down a very nasty stretch of road. If he doesn't cost very much in assets going the other way--then by all means but I wouldn't be handing him a long term and expensive contract right away. If he wants to play for the Rangers he'll need to prove he's ready to how the team plays which is something that Gaborik has done.
No long term deal for Radulov. 2 years MAX. Will have to accept a lot less money too. $2.5M. I read he made $5M playing in the KHL last season. It has to be for the right price. Even the compensation for his negotiating rights can't be expensive. 2nd round pick. It costs a 3rd or a 4th to acquire the negotiating rights for a group III.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:10 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Nash, Ryan and Parise are ideas because at no point in time during his career has Sturm ever been on the same level as the three players mentioned.

Sturm has been a solid 2nd line winger during his career, he's no longer that on the Rangers or any other team, but we need another top line talent and let the guys already here slot back to their more respective spots.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sturm retire or sign back home in Germany.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:46 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
Radulov has to be one of the worst ideas I've seen on here in quite a while. We must be desperate, when people are thinking of picking up a guy who broke his contract once, and even without knowing the exact circumstances, it's fair to say let his team down in this year's playoffs. The article linked earlier in the thread had an interesting note about Keith Jones running a 60+ second video clip of Radulov's mistakes/misplays and laziness. This guy would be an epic fail on the Rangers, and is most assuredly not a Tort's Guy.
Doesn't sound any different than any of Bleeding Heart Sathers other reclamation projects. If nothing else, Sather loves to "try" to catch lightning in a bottle.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
No long term deal for Radulov. 2 years MAX. Will have to accept a lot less money too. $2.5M. I read he made $5M playing in the KHL last season. It has to be for the right price. Even the compensation for his negotiating rights can't be expensive. 2nd round pick. It costs a 3rd or a 4th to acquire the negotiating rights for a group III.
He will definitely not sign for less then say 4.5m. I think we are looking at 4.5-6.5m/per-range.

That 5m in the KHL is also basically tax free, in other words like 10m per.

I think there is a posibility that he is interested in returning to the NHL and that he will take substansially less to play here. But 5m per in NY is half of what he makes in the KHL.

OTOH, this of course effects his prize when trading with Nashville. At 2.5m per, anyone from Philly and Pitt and Detroit to Toronto and Montreal and the Islanders would atleast get in contact with Nashville.

I would definitely admit that there are questionmarks with Rads and that arguments can be made that he isn't worth a 1st+ (how much plus? Or whatever the price is. Could it be lower) and 5.5m/per. But you won't get him to sign in the NHL for less than 4.5m/per. No way.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Sturm is a top 6 winger? The same guy who had an amazing five points in 42 games this year?

Oh boy...it's going to be a long offseason on HF.
They must have been highlight reel points

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:35 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

Quote:

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Hence why if we get some top end talent and the pack line becomes our third line we become very deep.
Well yes, to some extent. Reduced icetime often means reduced offensive production though. A deeper top six means Callahan gets fewer minutes even strength and fewer powerplay minutes which means his totals will go down..can't just expect a magical 30 goal third liner on (relatively) limited icetime

Not that you were saying that, just pontificating

edit: the reason people are incredulous about trading for Ryan or Nash is that the cost would be significant and there's a very real worry about it affecting the team negatively instead of providing the top scoring depth everyone is clamoring for. No one wants to give up Kreider or a top 4 defenseman but that's what other teams will demand in exchange for their 1st line players

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by benneyb View Post
torts would eat him alive

Ryan McDonut is offline   Reply With Quote