HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

SCF | Game 2 | L.A. Kings at Your New Jersey Devils | Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 11:10 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

vCash: 500
Sykora is sloooooow.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Yes he is VERY SLOW! I think we could use him. It may be all for nothing, but I can't see it being detrimental. A lot of people after game 2 said we should play him. Were these just panic reactions to the loss?

The most I would be worried about is he is rusty from not playing for 2 weeks. He hasn't sat out that long this entire season. I think it's an effort to get some spark. He might be completely useless, but I don't think he will cause us to lose a game. Definitely can't see that.

It doesn't matter what I think though. It doesn't look like it's gonna happen. I don't know why it's such an unpopular decision though. We aren't getting much offense, and I think he might help that spark with Patty, and Zubrus. He was incredibly streaky the whole season, but we have nothing more to lose by putting him in.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Sykora is sloooooow.
He'll get chewed up by the Kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Why though? He's a 20 goal scorer.

It can't hurt I don't think. Of course he's sucked these playoffs, but the whole team has been as offensively challenged as the Blues these last two games. You're a positive guy. Why don't you think he can get us going on the scoresheet? Like I said he was demoted to the 4th line late in the season, and came back, and had a monster of a last two weeks. He's one of the better snipers on the team. Maybe the best since Kovy looks like he may be almost out of gas. Maybe he won't make our chances of winning any better. But he can't possibly make them any worse.
Lmao, I'm just messing with you buddy. I'm trying to have a little fun with the situation, because quite frankly, this ****ing blows.

For sentimental reasons, I'd like to see Sykora get some time, but see above. He's just too slow and not physical enough to be effective. He can't produce offense on his own and it would take a lot of effort against a good team to help create scoring opportunities for him.

The risk of him being mugged out there just outweighs any benefits that he may bring to the table imho. And this is coming from someone who felt pretty bad for him when he finally got yanked in the first place.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:21 PM
njdeviljim91

sykora does'nt fit in the forechecking system.. it must be a constant 3 man cycle deep and he just isn't physical enough

was once my favorite player years ago here, but i was waiting for him to be scratched since mid season

Old
06-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Well it seems it won't happen anyway, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sykora was scratched cause he was under performing. He wasn't a defensive liability. He just wasn't bringing much, and I think it was right to scratch him for Josefson in the first place. While being a streaky line his line with Patty, and Zubrus was really good, and at times the best line of the game many times this season.

It sucks though we even have to entertain the thought with all the scoring depth we have in the lineup. I think Kovy might be out of gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdeviljim91 View Post
was once my favorite player years ago here, but i was waiting for him to be scratched since mid season

was once my favorite player years ago here, but i was waiting for him to be scratched since mid season[/QUOTE]
This has absolutely nothing to do with the playoffs, and is irrelevant now, and while I agree there were times he looked miserable mid season remember. He scored goals in a lot of wins the last few weeks of the season when we were the hottest team coming into the playoffs. As well as assisted on many others. We beat Chicago 2-1 in a shootout to start that 6 game end of season winning streak, and he scored our only goal in regulation. He scored when we beat Ottawa 4-2 last day of the season. The 4th was an empty net by Kovy, but we could have been tied if not for Sykie's goal early in the game. Same with the game in Detroit we won 2-1. He was important in the regular season, and one of the main contributors on that 6 game winning streak to close out the season. This might be irrelevant in the playoffs, but he was great in the regular season when he had to be.

Last edited by Bleedred: 06-03-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
He'll get chewed up by the Kings.

Lmao, I'm just messing with you buddy. I'm trying to have a little fun with the situation, because quite frankly, this ****ing blows.

For sentimental reasons, I'd like to see Sykora get some time, but see above. He's just too slow and not physical enough to be effective. He can't produce offense on his own and it would take a lot of effort against a good team to help create scoring opportunities for him.

The risk of him being mugged out there just outweighs any benefits that he may bring to the table imho. And this is coming from someone who felt pretty bad for him when he finally got yanked in the first place.
He sucks in NHL 12

Old
06-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

sykora just doesn't bring anything to the table besides his shot. he's not bad at anything, but he doesn't have the size, speed, or defensive prowess that everyone else has some sort of mix of. the only guys i'd take out for him are either of the third line wingers but clarkson is too important for the pp (lol) and poni kills penalties sometimes. if we took poni out, that would leave us with elias, zubrus, parise, henrique, yayo, and zajac as our only pkers since kovy doesn't have the acceleration to pk right now and no one else has really seen that significant of time on the pk this year (i guess carter could go as well but i don't remember him playing on the pk any time recently).

Old
06-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
sykora just doesn't bring anything to the table besides his shot. he's not bad at anything, but he doesn't have the size, speed, or defensive prowess that everyone else has some sort of mix of. the only guys i'd take out for him are either of the third line wingers but clarkson is too important for the pp (lol) and poni kills penalties sometimes. if we took poni out, that would leave us with elias, zubrus, parise, henrique, yayo, and zajac as our only pkers since kovy doesn't have the acceleration to pk right now and no one else has really seen that significant of time on the pk this year (i guess carter could go as well but i don't remember him playing on the pk any time recently).
To be fair, it's a wicked shot.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

A lot of people after a tough loss like the last 2 will say change everything. ''Tallinder for Harrold!'' ''Larsson for Harrold!'' and bring up Sykora too.

I'd like to see Larsson get some time, but I'm not concerned with that right now. Our team shouldn't need Sykora in the lineup to score though. Sadly though our only goals have been from a non offensive D man who is not known for goal scoring at all, and a 4th liner. A very good 4th liner at that, and that's great he is producing. I am worried about our offense. It's not as if the team didn't show up for game 2 I just don't think they made smart decisions. We carried the play majority of regulation, but didn't cash in.

The Kings aren't even as impressive as they were earlier in the playoffs to be honest. Either that or Marty is really keeping us in the game as bad as most want to criticize him over every single measly goal he let's in. Also I know we don't have softy-not good enough to be a playoff starter Brian Elliott in net, and are team isn't giving up 40+ shots a game like Phoenix.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Kovy and Clarkson being hurt are real huge knocks to our team. No question about it. If these guys were anywhere near close to healthy, I honestly believe they would be running away with this thing.

Clarkson has a lot of detractors, but when he is on, the dude just holds on to that puck like nobody's business and does a great job along the walls. He CAN be very effective when he plays smart. But he is gimpy as all hell right now and his game has basically been neutered.

Same thing with Kovy. If he werent playing on one leg and had his normal burst of speed, he'd be a good resource to help back up the kings defense. It would be a huge boost to our defense who has struggled in that department (moving the puck cleanly) through these first couple of games.

I just don't know tbh. Very glad I'm not in DeBoer's shoes. He has additional resources at his disposal but it's not an easy decision to start tinkering with a lineup that could technically be up 2 games to 0 or tied at 1.

The Devils deserve a little puck luck here, that's the only thing I can say for sure. This series has slipped away from them pretty quickly and it just doesn't feel right considering the play over the first two games.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:41 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I agree, and between us the Kings aren't THAT impressive. They looked MUCH MUCH better than this in their earlier series. I know we are way better than every team they've faced at least in the playoffs we've done way better than Vancouver, St Louis, and Phoenix.

Vancouver I don't know what happened there. St Louis was using what looked to be very reliable backup Brian Elliott who played great against the Sharks, but turned right back into that less than mediocre backup he was with Colorado, and Ottawa that you could never imagine having 9 shutouts in one season. Not pinning the loss on him. St Louis is offensively challenged to be gin with.

Phoenix gave up 35+ shots like every game this playoffs. Mike Smith could give up 4 goals, and still have a 930 save percentage. Say what you want about Marty, but he's been better than Elliott. Smith was good, but when facing 35-50 shots a game which is something our time fortunately for us is good at not facing, it gets hard to carry the team.

Old
06-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Well the Kings are a solid team. That can't be denied. There is a reason why the Devils forecheck has not been as effective this series vs. the first three rounds. The Kings are definitely a notch above anything NJ has come across this playoff.

With that being said, I do agree that the Kings are being a bit over hyped. Either that, or the Devils have shown that they can play with this team. At least I think so. Yeah, the forecheck hasn't been as dominant, but NJ has still found a way to create some decent scoring chances and control parts of the game. You take what you can get against a good team.

I just don't think Nj is making the smartest decisions out there all the time. But again, credit has to be given to the opponent as well.

Just win game 3. That is all. I cant stand feeling like this any longer.

****. THIS. ****!!!

Old
06-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

In response to the Brent Sutter talk LOL at him being Daryl's resource! Maybe if playoff coaching Brent shows up this can work to our favor! Brent Sutter couldn't coach an NHL playoff round to save his life. Maybe he can convince Daryl to make the same great decisions he made when he coached us in the playoffs! Perhaps he could convince Daryl to play Fraser's line 50 percent more than Kopitar, or Carter, and Richards!

Brent Sutter five years head coaching in the NHL. Playoff rounds coached two.

Pete Deboer four years head coaching in the NHL. Playoff rounds coached 4 in progress!

Old
06-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Well the Kings are a solid team. That can't be denied. There is a reason why the Devils forecheck has not been as effective this series vs. the first three rounds. The Kings are definitely a notch above anything NJ has come across this playoff.

With that being said, I do agree that the Kings are being a bit over hyped. Either that, or the Devils have shown that they can play with this team. At least I think so. Yeah, the forecheck hasn't been as dominant, but NJ has still found a way to create some decent scoring chances and control parts of the game. You take what you can get against a good team.

I just don't think Nj is making the smartest decisions out there all the time. But again, credit has to be given to the opponent as well.

Just win game 3. That is all. I cant stand feeling like this any longer.

****. THIS. ****!!!
The Kings are solid no denying that. They look more beatable in these last two games than they did earlier in the playoffs. Gotta credit Marty. He's making the saves Elliott could not, but unfortunately the rest of the team is playing like the Blues! Smith could make the big saves, but 35-45 shots on goal is a lot in a 3 period game. Yeah he gave up a bad goal he should have had in game 2, but as good as our 4th line is that should not be happening to a team in the Cup Finals. Doughty is not Mario or Gretzky. Also <3 Holik! He criticized Pierre for comparing Doughty to Ray Bourque, and Denis Potvin!

I wish the Devils can play like the Rangers did against us in game 6 minus losing! And no I'm not saying I want the Devils to play like the Rangers play! I'm talking desperation level. Also I can compare it to the Coyotes desperation in game 4 of their series, and St Louis in game 4 of their series though they still didn't win that game.

Just play like we ARE on the brink of elimination, and treat game 3 like it's game 4!

Old
06-04-2012, 12:04 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I just don't see the need for sykora in this series. I do, however, want Larsson to get in there.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
I just don't see the need for sykora in this series. I do, however, want Larsson to get in there.
There shouldn't be a need for Sykora because our big guns should be able to get something going. I think it could provide a spark though.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:18 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Because we don't want to ****ing lose. THAT'S WHY!!!!!
WE'RE LOSING, REGARDLESS!!!!!

Or did you forget we're down 2-0, Nona?
(and I know you were kidding but I'm just so p-ssed right now)

We need to try SOMETHING ELSE!

EDIT : Seems like I'm the only one(Sans Bleedred) who actually *wants* Sykora to be put back in there. I mean it's not like the Devils don't need OFFENSE or something.

And I don't give a crap about what MIGHT happen just 'cause of Sykora's lack-of-speed. This isn't the time for What-if's. This is the time to make a decision that could determine whether we win or lose.

So far, the Devils are ***losing*** 'cause they CAN'T SCORE, period. So if they can't score, what do you do? Do you continue with the same lineup or do you PUT IN A 20+ GOAL SCORER with a History of Big Goals in the Playoffs in for one of the players who ISN'T getting it done?(Clarktard, etc.)

Last edited by glenwo2: 06-04-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old
06-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
The Kings are solid no denying that. They look more beatable in these last two games than they did earlier in the playoffs. Gotta credit Marty. He's making the saves Elliott could not, but unfortunately the rest of the team is playing like the Blues! Smith could make the big saves, but 35-45 shots on goal is a lot in a 3 period game. Yeah he gave up a bad goal he should have had in game 2, but as good as our 4th line is that should not be happening to a team in the Cup Finals. Doughty is not Mario or Gretzky. Also <3 Holik! He criticized Pierre for comparing Doughty to Ray Bourque, and Denis Potvin!

I wish the Devils can play like the Rangers did against us in game 6 minus losing! And no I'm not saying I want the Devils to play like the Rangers play! I'm talking desperation level. Also I can compare it to the Coyotes desperation in game 4 of their series, and St Louis in game 4 of their series though they still didn't win that game.

Just play like we ARE on the brink of elimination, and treat game 3 like it's game 4!
I think it is nerves combined with Quick getting into their heads. The part boggles me because in many ways its just Henry in a Kings uniform. We beat the Queen we can beat Quick. It is just painfully obvious they are squeezing the damn stick, Kovy and Clarkie seem to be the ones doing it the most. Every good chance seems to end up on Clarkson's stick and he does something boneheaded or just airmails the sucker.

Kovy seems to have inherited Patty's passing syndrome, Pete needs to sit him down and tell him to just SHOOT!! Outside of the PP being terrible we aren't playing bad, we are getting chances but because of nerves or whatever we are making it way to damn easy for Quick.

I'd like Larsson to get in there, but I don't want to sit any of the D-men right now. Volch is finally starting to look like Volch, and Harrold is playing really well. Zids is pissing me off but taking him out still would subtract from the offense and just make the PP even worse.

I would only entertain sitting Clarkson for Sykora, no one else should sit but even that I'm not a fan of. They need to play desperate and hungry, shake off the nerves, and hope some of the nerves/hype distracts LA. Problem is Game 3 is the easier of the two to win because you know damn well it will wake LA back up and they know they can't let it go back to Jersey 2-2.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
WE'RE LOSING, REGARDLESS!!!!!

Or did you forget we're down 2-0, Nona?
(and I know you were kidding but I'm just so p-ssed right now)

We need to try SOMETHING ELSE!

EDIT : Seems like I'm the only one(Sans Bleedred) who actually *wants* Sykora to be put back in there. I mean it's not like the Devils don't need OFFENSE or something.

And I don't give a crap about what MIGHT happen just 'cause of Sykora's lack-of-speed. This isn't the time for What-if's. This is the time to make a decision that could determine whether we win or lose.

So far, the Devils are ***losing*** 'cause they CAN'T SCORE, period. So if they can't score, what do you do? Do you continue with the same lineup or do you PUT IN A 20+ GOAL SCORER with a History of Big Goals in the Playoffs in for one of the players who ISN'T getting it done?(Clarktard, etc.)
Only for Clarktard, you can't sit anyone else and expect to even keep it close. The 4th line is still playing like our best line, you can't sit the Vets/leaders, sitting Kovy now is like suicide, and Yayo is proving he shouldn't go anywhere, kid is hustling. I can get behind sitting because I do think Sykora has a better chance to bury the chances Clarktard has had.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:34 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Only for Clarktard, you can't sit anyone else and expect to even keep it close. The 4th line is still playing like our best line, you can't sit the Vets/leaders, sitting Kovy now is like suicide, and Yayo is proving he shouldn't go anywhere, kid is hustling. I can get behind sitting because I do think Sykora has a better chance to bury the chances Clarktard has had.
Well then do it.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure Pete would be willing to sit his "favorite student" the rest of the playoffs.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Well then do it.

Unfortunately, I'm not so sure Pete would be willing to sit his "favorite student" the rest of the playoffs.
It is a tough move because we all know Clarkson can bring physicality and some timely garbage goals (just not when we need them RIGHT NOW). I just don't see anyone else that Pete could or should sit. Also think the only real reason to make a change is just to shake things up and hopefully wake the guys up, get the nerves, cobwebs, whatever the hell is mentally holding them back out of there.

I hope being on the road and away from our crowd might help, limit distractions, etc. It just seems that it is a mental thing holding us back right now, that and our putrid power play.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:57 AM
David71

what are the current lineups for the devils. i want to know so i can edit them in nhl 12

Closed Thread