Old
06-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BERLIN!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savi View Post
Gabriel or Diego?
I don't remember reading either official retired. Both don't really have a spot in the NT. I loved Gabriel but he can't play at a high level now.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Matty K

Diego

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I don't remember reading either official retired. Both don't really have a spot in the NT. I loved Gabriel but he can't play at a high level now.
I've always loved Gabriel as well. Wanted Barça to buy him so bad when he was at Zaragoza, and was so happy when they finally did sign him. Too bad he never regained his old form after he broke his leg

Don't know about Diego though. Too old I guess. A lot of young talent on the team now.

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

Quote:
Yeah, but which one?

I like the Staal comparison however.
Lorenzo and Alvin both, apparently they're like the Sedins AND the Staals

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BERLIN!

Clemente is disastrous. Taglifico can't develop fast enough. : (

Old
06-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Matty K

Higuain this isn't Volleyball my friend

Old
06-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Savi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Clemente is disastrous. Taglifico can't develop fast enough. : (
They should give Insua or Ansaldi a chance already. Not sure why Clemente Rodriguez is still in the line up.

Old
06-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Matty K

Di Maria just piling it on now 4-0 Argentina with just under 13 minutes to play

Old
06-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BERLIN!

Quote:
They should give Insua or Ansaldi a chance already. Not sure why Clemente Rodriguez is still in the line up.
I agree about ansaldi but Insua is a fatty. They also tried Rojo but he isnt anything special. It's one of the mysteries like why Sosa gets called up and usually starts over Pastore.

Old
06-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

Egypt won, for you Bob lovers

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Savi

Tahiti won again, they beat New Caledonia 4-3. Both Lorenzo and Alvin Tehau scored Someone sign those guys already.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:42 AM
tobo

Meeh, scoring in the OFC doesn't mean a thing. Remember Archie Thompson who scored 13 or 14 goals for Australia against American Samoa? What a success he was at Lierse.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:55 AM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
Japan with an easy win over Oman to start Asian qualifications. Uzbekistan host Iran in a big game

South Africa losing to Ethiopia at home at the moment...we could very easily see a team like Botswana, Ethiopia, CAR two games from a World Cup berth

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:20 PM
HajdukSplit

Good win for Colombia in Peru, would like to see them make the World Cup, got a talented squad

Uzbekistan were robbed today at home against Iran, Iran scored the winner in the 90th minute but Uzbekistan had a clear goal ruled out after the assistant ref ruled it not to go over the line with about 15 minutes to go (yes I'm a nerd for knowing this )

In Africa no real surprises today, South Africa only drew at home to Ethiopia, Angola drew at home to Uganda and Mali lose their opener. In Africa you really can't afford to drop points at home as these qualification groups are only 6 matches long

Old
06-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
I'd also really like to see Colombia qualify. A World Cup with Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile, Argentina in it would obviously have quite a bit of attacking football spread throughout the groups.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Evilo

I'd love to see Columbia in the WC, but when you consider the players risk their lifes to play in it if it goes wrong, then I'd really love to see them miss the WC.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:37 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I'd also really like to see Colombia qualify. A World Cup with Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile, Argentina in it would obviously have quite a bit of attacking football spread throughout the groups.
Since Brazil's automatically qualified, I like the chances for that. Those five and Paraguay would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
I'd love to see Columbia in the WC, but when you consider the players risk their lifes to play in it if it goes wrong, then I'd really love to see them miss the WC.
Is this still a problem for them? Definitely liked them at last year's Copa América before they crashed out..

Big fear Sweden won't qualify for this event. With Germany in the qualifiers there's no chance to win the group, and then have to fight against Ireland for the second place, which ony leads to play-offs.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
The group that Germany got they aren't 100% dead on to win it. The only group that I think is easy for anybody is The Netherlands group, but then again, it seems like Portugal gets these easier groups every time and have hell getting through them.

As an aside based on that, what I think is funny is that Portugal are taken as a more serious threat in Euro 2012 Group B than Denmark when Denmark have taken 9 points off them in qualifying for the last two tournaments.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:13 AM
BMann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty K View Post
Did Milito retire from International Football or does he just not have a spot anymore on the Argentine National squad due to better quality?
Milito has been pants for the seleccion.

That is a worry for Argentina. Outside of Higuain there is no recognized 9. Martinez is not prolific.

There are some very talented younger nines but they have barely started their senior careers. Mauro Icardi at Sampdoria and Giovanni Simeone in the River Plate reserves.

Argentina and Sabella know there needs to be far more improvement . The scoreline looks great but both fullbacks played poorly, surprisingly so in Zabaleta's case. Gago was terrible and using di Maria as a midfielder well...

The ball retention was poor. Messi can be a playmaker but cannot dictate the tempo like a Riquelme which eases the pressure on the defence.

However having Kun and Higuain takes the burden off him and allows him more freedom.

At least the defence is more mobile and there are several candidates for the role ie Musacchio outside of those he went for Garay and Fernandez whose lack of matches this season with Napoli showed in the first half.

Gago needs to be moved on. Banega if he could buckle down has all the talent to be a great player. Outside of that Canteros is deserving of a spot.

Under Sabella you won't see a traditional 10 so Pastore and Lamela who has been developing nicely at Roma are out of the frame (which is what I think the team does still need at times).

Sabella is pragmatic and will play the counter attacking game and be more defensive against opponents other than Ecuador who he knew would play the Chelsea formation 10-0-0.

As for fullbacks. Ansaldi and Tagliafico for the left back berth. Clemente will be over the hill by 2014 as far as I can see. However promising signs in these areas.

Young Gino Peruzzi of Velez contained Neymar in the Libertadores and Sanchez Mino of Boca has also impressed. Matias Rodriguez who made this squad was not given a chance unfortunately and is an Argentine equivalent of a Danny Alves and has a very good scoring ratio too.

Insua is not fat either. He has really bulked up.He was always good going forward but poor defensively but he seems to have improved his game in that area with Sporting Clube. However Ansaldi and Tagliafico are far better.

Problem is Sabella still has this fixation with Sosa and Rojo and indeed several players he knows from his time with Estudiantes.

4-0 okay but this team can and needs to do a lot better particularly with the array of talent upfront and potentially in midfield and some talent emerging in defence.

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The group that Germany got they aren't 100% dead on to win it. The only group that I think is easy for anybody is The Netherlands group, but then again, it seems like Portugal gets these easier groups every time and have hell getting through them.

As an aside based on that, what I think is funny is that Portugal are taken as a more serious threat in Euro 2012 Group B than Denmark when Denmark have taken 9 points off them in qualifying for the last two tournaments.
Denmark's just like Sweden. Can dance with the best of 'em, especially in the qualifiers, but ultimately have a hard time winning matches at the championships. Last four championships for Denmark(euros, worlds), 14 matches = 4 wins. Sweden last four championships, 15 matches = 4 wins.

But group stage is one thing, elimination games another. Denmark could certainly force some draws against Netherlands, Germany and win against Portugal. Not totally far-fetched really.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:23 PM
HajdukSplit

Denmark = Sweden = Croatia more the less

they have pretty much qualified for the same amount of tournaments since 1996 (when Croatia was first eligible), make more than miss but when they get there its usually a group exit

Old
06-04-2012, 08:30 PM
joe89

Sweden's alright at making it out of the group, 3 of the last 4. But haven't won in an elimination game since -94.

And yes, similiarities between the three.

Old
06-07-2012, 04:01 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Big day of football for me tomorrow with Lebanon and Canada having their WC qualifying games and the Euro. Very excited!

Last edited by EchoesoftheEighties: 06-07-2012 at 04:28 PM.
EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Good luck to your teams ^^^^

I have Poland during the day and USA at night in WCQ!

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote