HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nail Yakupov General Discussion Thread Part 2: Yodeling for Yakupov.

View Poll Results: What should the Oilers do with the 1st overall?
Draft Yakupov 281 90.35%
Trade down in the draft 23 7.40%
Trade the pick for an established NHLer 7 2.25%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
thank you. well, Yakupov appears to come from quality stock. the kid looks like a movie star.
And Grigorenko always looks like freakin' nerd.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers24 View Post
What does that mean before today, is it safe to assume that Nail Jumped ahead of Murray today after his visit to the Bat Cave?

Im still lost as to how Yakupov and Murray can be 50-50 when 90% of scouts feel Yakupov is miles ahead of any one else and there are even question marks that Murray goes at #2.
The 50-50 comment is from some dude in his basement who pretends to be a woman. Why would you think it has any truth to it?

Old
06-03-2012, 07:01 PM
ThePresent83

The Oilers' management team is obviously doing a fantastic job of hiding who they want to pick given the amount of people on this thread freaking out.

Hopefully it has other teams on there toes as well. People are busy questioning management for implying they are looking at other prospects as well... i would be questioning management if they just came out and said who they are taking. Nothing could come from doing that other than settling down some over reacting fans.

I hope they take Yakupov, and logic dictates they will, and they have made the right decision the two years prior despite all the smoke and mirrors. But still, they shouldn't come out and say it.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:05 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I think it looks great with a blazer. If you're not wearing a blazer and you have a tie on its meh.
What's a blazer?

Old
06-03-2012, 07:05 PM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
The wording "top ranked prospect" would add to the PR suicide of not taking Yakupov
Good point

Old
06-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post
The Oilers' management team is obviously doing a fantastic job of hiding who they want to pick given the amount of people on this thread freaking out.

Hopefully it has other teams on there toes as well. People are busy questioning management for implying they are looking at other prospects as well... i would be questioning management if they just came out and said who they are taking. Nothing could come from doing that other than settling down some over reacting fans.

I hope they take Yakupov, and logic dictates they will, and they have made the right decision the two years prior despite all the smoke and mirrors. But still, they shouldn't come out and say it.
If they are planning on using the pick I'm not sure what you think bad can happen from saying it. The good would be telling the number 1 available player in the world that we want him on our team and have made our choice. It has happened in hockey before and happens in other sports regularly.

The main reason not to do it would be if you think you might be trading the pick. Which I guess might be what's happening here.

Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 06-03-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
I think Yakupov probably draws in for most of his ES time on a 4th/3b line with Belanger as his center, with a few choice shifts a game on the top 2 lines. And then 2nd unit PP time (or more, if deserved), probably on the same unit as Hemsky.
Belanger has no business playing with the high end skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Treenasoil also mentioned that the ducks are interested in oilers 2nd round pick and Gagner. Would that be enough to get their 1st. Gotta be honest that would be awesome. Grab yakupov and reinhart
You'd have to think that we'd have to add to that package to get 6th overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
What's a blazer?
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/blazer/

06-04-2012, 12:54 AM
oilfaninvan

So oilers.com waited at the airport for Yakupov and got it on video and all I can see is the chick getting her ass grabbed in the background.

Anyways it's interesting that the oilers media team showed up with the PR guy to film it even though he's not available to the media until tomorrow. I really wonder if other players will garner as much beatlemania.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:43 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

I understand why Yakupov is in town and why Murray will be here eventually too but if reports are right, why on earth would Edmonton bring Grigorenko, Reinhart, and Forsberg as well?

Interesting that Yakupov will be meeting with the media. I hope this means we are drafting him.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketful View Post
I understand why Yakupov is in town and why Murray will be here eventually too but if reports are right, why on earth would Edmonton bring Grigorenko, Reinhart, and Forsberg as well?

Interesting that Yakupov will be meeting with the media. I hope this means we are drafting him.
Who said that we were bringing in Reinhart, Grigorenko, and Forsberg?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:02 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Stauffer on Twitter says Grigorenko for sure, and likely Reinhart.

I don't get Reinhart. He plays here all year, he doesn't need to be shown around.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:03 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Stauffer reported Grigs would be coming on Twitter. Saw elsewhere via Twitter or HFboards elsewhere or newspapers (I apologize for not remembering) that the other two are in the mix as well.

Edit: the report that Forsberg will be visiting I got from someone on the Columbus thread; not too sure how credible that is.

Last edited by pocketful: 06-04-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old
06-04-2012, 03:23 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

I don't get Reinhart. He plays here all year, he doesn't need to be shown around.
Thanks guys, needless to say it's rather odd how many of these kids we are inviting. Interesting that they'd invite Grigorenko but not Galchenyuk.

Quote:
Stauffer reported Grigs would be coming on Twitter. Saw elsewhere via Twitter or HFboards elsewhere or newspapers (I apologize for not remembering) that the other two are in the mix as well.

Edit: the report that Forsberg will be visiting I got from someone on the Columbus thread; not too sure how credible that is.
Thanks, this is very odd IMO. We've had 3 players (to our knowledge) come here to have dinner with Katz and co. in the last 2 years, and this year we'll have at least that many if not more? Strange indeed.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:58 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Maybe Tambellini is seriously trying to get a second top five pick

Old
06-04-2012, 04:32 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Maybe Tambellini is seriously trying to get a second top five pick
I think the Islanders could be persuaded to move the no.4 pick. I think they want players that can play next year and help them get into the playoffs but are still young enough to build with Tavares.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:27 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

For a Top 4 pick I think we'd all agree a team would need to move something of very high value... and we know the Oilers won't move Hall/RNH/Eberle so in other words at least for the Oilers... it just won't happen as they don't have the expendable assets to move up into that range.

As far as the Oilers apparently inviting Yakupov/Murray/Grigs/Forsberg/Reinhart... if they are still that up in the air about who they want at #1 then I think this draft could be a real ****show from the Oilers brass.

On the other hand, maybe this is part of their elaborate scheme to tempt teams into sending them more enticing trade offers by making teams think they are truly undecided amongst a half dozen top prospects. Are the Oilers that cagey and Machiavellian? I doubt it... I'd chock it up to dithering and the Tambo personality trait of overcomplicating simple decisions.

Pick Yakupov and be done with it.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:43 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think the Islanders could be persuaded to move the no.4 pick. I think they want players that can play next year and help them get into the playoffs but are still young enough to build with Tavares.
The team I think that most wants legit roster players instead of prospects is Columbus. That franchise is dying a not-so-slow death and they NEED some NHL calibre bodies to ignite something on that team and give some hope that someday they'll get within a sniff of the playoffs again.

I could see them trading any or all of the following:

-Rick Nash
-#2 overall pick this year
-their 2nd round pick this year (basically like a late 1st)
-LA 1st rounder they'll get next year (likely won't use it this year as it's looking like it will be #29 in this draft at best)
-their 1st next year (which has a high chance of being a top 10 pick in a deep draft year)
-their 2nd rounder next year (should also be valuable as it should be an early 2nd rounder in a deep draft year).

That's 6 fairly valuable assets they should be able to deal for a variety of roster forwards/dmen and a goalie to help get the team back on track and out of the cellar. They aren't a team that can afford to stockpile a bunch of prospects for 2-3 years waiting for them to become NHL ready as that franchise will implode by then.

I've seen some reports saying that Columbus is high on Murray. I could be wrong but I certainly don't think he's going to be a target for them as he's not likely going to deliver much in terms of immediate impact to get that team turned around and headed in the right direction.

They need impact roster players on the forward lines and a good goalie and I think they may only get them by dealing draft picks and Nash away to acquire them.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:47 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
ZOMG! He doesn't wear a tie and is going to the KHL. Murray>Yakupov because he has a tie.

Seriously, why is it that so many people would do anything to not draft a Russian.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

It's worth it to make a good impression on a guy that might be a top defender. We won't likely trade up to draft him, but what if he's a UFA some day? It's worth a dinner in my opinion, I want players to think fondly of our organization.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Maybe that push for Anaheim's first overall for Gags and our second has some steam to it?? What else would it take to grab that pick?

Old
06-04-2012, 08:09 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
For a Top 4 pick I think we'd all agree a team would need to move something of very high value... and we know the Oilers won't move Hall/RNH/Eberle so in other words at least for the Oilers... it just won't happen as they don't have the expendable assets to move up into that range.

As far as the Oilers apparently inviting Yakupov/Murray/Grigs/Forsberg/Reinhart... if they are still that up in the air about who they want at #1 then I think this draft could be a real ****show from the Oilers brass.

On the other hand, maybe this is part of their elaborate scheme to tempt teams into sending them more enticing trade offers by making teams think they are truly undecided amongst a half dozen top prospects. Are the Oilers that cagey and Machiavellian? I doubt it... I'd chock it up to dithering and the Tambo personality trait of overcomplicating simple decisions.

Pick Yakupov and be done with it.
Well said.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:20 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I would have to think they're bringing all of these players in, in case one of the teams in the top 5 offer them a deal that they can't refuse to trade down.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:32 AM
doulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I would have to think they're bringing all of these players in, in case one of the teams in the top 5 offer them a deal that they can't refuse to trade down.
Yup, just due diligence. It's a mistake not to do your homework on these guys.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

If we could come out with grigs and yak........ Oh baby!

Old
06-04-2012, 08:46 AM
DerpMorg
I **3 Maggie

Gags and a second round pick for Anaheims first overall seems a bit of a stretch.

Closed Thread