HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012/2013 Bruins Prospect Thread (Part 3)

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2012, 01:30 PM
chizzler

vCash: 500
This all wishful thinking. You won't be seeing him for a long time. If he is somewhat successful, why won't some team keep paying him? Another lost pick for a Russian. I wouldn't pick them in the early rounds anymore. What a risk they're turning out to be! If he comes back, it's because things aren't working out so much.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chizzler View Post
This all wishful thinking. You won't be seeing him for a long time. If he is somewhat successful, why won't some team keep paying him? Another lost pick for a Russian. I wouldn't pick them in the early rounds anymore. What a risk they're turning out to be! If he comes back, it's because things aren't working out so much.
you speak in absolutes as though you posses some kind of crystal ball.

None of us know his thought process.....nor his intentions for that matter. So to say that he will be back soon or he will never leave his home country is nothing more hearsay.

I can't imagine him leaving his home country to play in a foreign land while he was being heavily pressured to stay, and then spending 2 full years in said foreign country and showcasing himself for the NHL draft only to spend the majority of his career back in a 2nd tier league such as the KHL.

But in this effed up world.....one never knows what motivates others.

Old
05-30-2012, 03:26 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
you speak in absolutes as though you posses some kind of crystal ball.

None of us know his thought process.....nor his intentions for that matter. So to say that he will be back soon or he will never leave his home country is nothing more hearsay.

I can't imagine him leaving his home country to play in a foreign land while he was being heavily pressured to stay, and then spending 2 full years in said foreign country and showcasing himself for the NHL draft only to spend the majority of his career back in a 2nd tier league such as the KHL.

But in this effed up world.....one never knows what motivates others.
What you say is true, and I actually believe that KoKo will be back in NA, sooner rather than later. However, this risk doesn't exist with NA kids and is Exhibit A as to why some teams (incl the B's) are loathe to spend high picks on Russians.

Each kid/situation needs to be examined on an individual basis, but even ones that look like a good bet (like KoKo's did when he was drafted) are still subject to that sinking feeling that the player will jump ship for the homeland at some point.

Not entirely rational, but not far-fetched either given how many times this has happened.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:15 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
What you say is true, and I actually believe that KoKo will be back in NA, sooner rather than later. However, this risk doesn't exist with NA kids and is Exhibit A as to why some teams (incl the B's) are loathe to spend high picks on Russians.

Each kid/situation needs to be examined on an individual basis, but even ones that look like a good bet (like KoKo's did when he was drafted) are still subject to that sinking feeling that the player will jump ship for the homeland at some point.

Not entirely rational, but not far-fetched either given how many times this has happened.

Exactly, I would stay clear of early round Russian, unless the are clear #1 overall material. But when you got a Russian kid that projects to be a 2nd or 3rd liner, don't waste a pick on him, he's far more likely to make more money in the KHL and will likely end up there. It's just not worth it IMO. When the experts talk about the 'Russian Factor' it's not something that's made up, it's real and we've seen a lot.

Old
05-30-2012, 04:44 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

100% percent honest truth with this post.

Think of it this way. The draft is all about two things: Potential and risk. How much potential does someone have, and what are the associated risks with drafting him. Those risks could include size, questionable hockey sense, off ice issues, etc. As horrible as it sounds, being Russian is a risk that carries the same weight as all those others now. It's just as bad as being too small, having issues with your skating, or having discipline issues. I'm not anti-Russian by any stance, nor do I think they're bad character guys, but it's just too risky.

If I'm a GM, I'm not drafting a Russian player unless he is far and away the BPA at that particular draft spot...and I mean not another kid close to his potential.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:13 PM
LuckyLuke87

http://www.ska.ru/news/en/6738.html

Chudinov signs with SKA.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:16 PM
TheKraken31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke87 View Post
http://www.ska.ru/news/en/6738.html

Chudinov signs with SKA.
Well at least we know he will be in good hands with old pal Kevin Dallman mentoring him.

Old
05-30-2012, 05:30 PM
LuckyLuke87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKraken31 View Post
Well at least we know he will be in good hands with old pal Kevin Dallman mentoring him.
I suppose it's best for his development. Doubt there would be roster place for him considering expected arrival of Hamilton. Playing 1st pairing minutes with Dallman on KHL powerhouse seems better to me than going AHL route. He can come over in 2 years and start in NHL immediately.

Old
05-30-2012, 07:44 PM
WestCoastBruinsFan

Look at Alexei Emelin.
Drafted in 2004 and spent 7 years in Russia. Then he comes over, mature and ready to play and is doing very well.
I don't see an issue with a 19 year old kid going home and maturing before he comes back and tries to make the team. There is a risk however, with a player from another country deciding that he wants to stay in his native country to play hockey.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:10 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Another Яussian whose father can blow up his son's NHL career.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastBruinsFan View Post
Look at Alexei Emelin.
Drafted in 2004 and spent 7 years in Russia. Then he comes over, mature and ready to play and is doing very well.
I don't see an issue with a 19 year old kid going home and maturing before he comes back and tries to make the team. There is a risk however, with a player from another country deciding that he wants to stay in his native country to play hockey.
My biggest issue is that if they chose Providence, they get a better understanding of what's expected of them in the Bruins system and the Bruins have far greater control in their development. The Bruins system seems to be very very difficult to transition into at the best of times. Boston also has little to no control over their development when those players stay in Russia, Sweden, etc...

I see it as a big disadvantage.

Choosing the KHL over junior is a little different however, but going by history, even those players are more likely to stay there once their AHL eligibility kicks in.

I think it makes a huge difference honestly.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:21 PM
5 minutes a Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delbert Grady View Post
Another Яussian whose father can blow up his son's NHL career.
Yes but this Russian just had a season ending injury that could have been much worse than it actually was and you want him to stay in Canada?
Again if its my kid I tell him to take the money and go home for a few years and re-evaluate then, who knows he might be able to play for his country in the Olympics...

Old
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

The Bruins having their typical luck when it comes to the Russians.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
Baddkarma
El Guapo to most...

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Chia is going to look real bad on this one if it goes down as stated. Many talented players on the board from NA.

05-31-2012, 03:36 PM
BruinsBtn

I'm Saad about this.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Malt
#wpri12steve

If you have a few free moments today, part 2 of my Providence Bruins year in review is posted:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post50456031

#RealMalt

Old
06-03-2012, 08:16 PM
oreillyisgod
Unregistered User

In light of recent events, wondering if somebody like Kirk or OOG could review the goaltending prospects in the system. From the little bit Ive been able to read, Gothberg sounds like he could be a good one. Would the Bruins be looking at any goalies in the upcoming draft. If this has already been talked about in another thread, sorry.

Last edited by oreillyisgod: 06-03-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 08:27 PM
kman22

There's a lot of potential in the group of guys they've brought in over the last few years for goalie depth. Volden, Gothberg, Morrison, and Svedberg. I'd definitely like to read more about them too.

Old
06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreillyisgod View Post
In light of recent events, wondering if somebody like Kirk or OOG could review the goaltending prospects in the system. From the little bit Ive been able to read, Gothberg sounds like he could be a good one. Would the Bruins be looking at any goalies in the upcoming draft. If this has already been talked about in another thread, sorry.

Khudobin-- Finally gets his shot to be an NHL regular at age 26. Good little player-- called "the Euro Tim Thomas" for hockey-related reasons only. Small, battler, not a technician but knows how to stop pucks.

Hutch-- Had a nice finish to the season after really struggling early. I like him OK, but the consistency thing has dogged him going back to junior days. Don't know if he has what it takes to be an NHL starter, but with his size/quickness, could be a serviceable backup in the right situation.

Svedberg-- Don't know much about him other than watching video clips and being told about his heroics in the SEL playoffs this year, but interesting project. Fiery competitor who will need to rein in his emotions, but appears to have some ability and promise.

Morrison-- Signed as a free agent after Philly didn't tender him (3rd rounder in '09). Big, skilled but struggled with being a starter until traded to Vancouver. Has all the tools, but toolbox questionable. A nice roll of the dice because he has the kind of size and upside you look for, but just had trouble getting it together until this past season.

Gothberg-- Really like this kid a lot. Has size, athletic ability and a great mentality and attitude. He's a little out there, but in a good way. Co-USHL goalie of the year, but on a far poorer team than the kid who won it with him. At least 3-4 years away- going to North Dakota in the fall.

Volden-- Decent project-- more refined and skilled based on D-camp than I thought when they drafted him. Not a bad value in 6th and worth watching, but like Gothberg a long way off.

Last edited by Kirk- NEHJ: 06-03-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old
06-03-2012, 09:58 PM
oreillyisgod
Unregistered User

Thanks Kirk for the rundown. Just watched a little Svedberg on youtube. Interesting watching the Swedish highlights.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:11 AM
PepeBostones

I'm always following the HF although I seldom write anymore. I am impressed the way the Bruins have been collecting goalie prospects at a speedier rate than ever before. Like Kirk and other's I have high hopes for Zane Gothberg. But as with Lars Volden (whom I really like and has seen a lot of) and Adam Morrison they are quite far away. But keep in mind that Gothberg is an USHL allstar and has played for the US National Jrs who are perhaps the best National team among juniors these days. Volden was in the senior world hockey championchips and held his own very well I think. So these guys are really interesting. Niklas Svedberg did make a splash and had a superb playoff in the SEL. He was playing out of his mind and if he can keep it up he will adjust to NA hockey in Providence where he will share duties with Mike Hutchinson. Hutch has improved every year and has game breaking abilities, just like most young goalies, he has to find better consistensy in his game in game out performance. I haven't given up on him at all. So the goalie prospects are in fact pretty good I think. On defense however I am not at all satisfied with what we have. Besides, Doug Hamilton (who's record speaks for itself). Do we have another defenseman in the system that even can count as a good bet to be a regular D in the NHL? I am not impressed with the small Torey Krug, David Warsofsky and Ryan Button has been downright disappointing. Don't think Tommy Cross, Zach Trotman will be better than Matt Bartkowski who is no more than a 7th D at the best. There is one guy that I think have the most upside outside of Hamilton. That guy is Rob O'Gara. He is big 6'04 around 200 pounds and can skate very well and has good hockey sense. Too bad he's played only half the games players in junior usually plays. I just found out that he's played 32 games this year. 5 goals and 26 assist for 31 points and first team all star in his class I believe. He's played for Milton Academy and some tournament games for Boston Bruins Jrs Mass. He will be interesting to follow at developement camp and most of all when he starts his college career at Yale in ECAC hockey league. He's far away but could end up second best behind Hamilton when all is said and done. I really hope the Bruins get to draft a couple of promising defensemen in this NHL draft. Would love to have Brady Skjei, Derrick Pouliot, Brett Kulak, even better if we can trade up and get Griffn Reinhart but the draft is what it is. High expectations and almost always lower values. But getting, Tyler Seguin and Doug Hamilton, that was even better than one could expect. I'm sure Seguin will be a star and hopefully some of the other promising forwards come through too. Also hope Hamilton turns out to be the next best draft choice a Bruin defenseman not named Bourque.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeBostones View Post
There is one guy that I think have the most upside outside of Hamilton. That guy is Rob O'Gara. He is big 6'04 around 200 pounds and can skate very well and has good hockey sense. Too bad he's played only half the games players in junior usually plays. I just found out that he's played 32 games this year. 5 goals and 26 assist for 31 points and first team all star in his class I believe. He's played for Milton Academy and some tournament games for Boston Bruins Jrs Mass. He will be interesting to follow at developement camp and most of all when he starts his college career at Yale in ECAC hockey league. He's far away but could end up second best behind Hamilton when all is said and done.

I really hope the Bruins get to draft a couple of promising defensemen in this NHL draft. Would love to have Brady Skjei, Derrick Pouliot, Brett Kulak, even better if we can trade up and get Griffn Reinhart but the draft is what it is. High expectations and almost always lower values. But getting, Tyler Seguin and Doug Hamilton, that was even better than one could expect. I'm sure Seguin will be a star and hopefully some of the other promising forwards come through too. Also hope Hamilton turns out to be the next best draft choice a Bruin defenseman not named Bourque.
Was so impressed with his poise, smarts and upside when I first saw him with Milton Academy last season.

I believe that pick is going to go down as one of Boston's better diamonds-in-the-rough in a few years.

Excellent mobility for his size. Showed some offensive upside this season with Pat McNally at Harvard and ROG no longer needing to cover for him.

Had he spent two years in prep before being draft eligible, no way the Bruins get him at the end of the 5th round, but not enough sample size for some teams while others were scared off by his going back to prep this season instead of playing in the EJHL or USHL.

The B's rolled the dice with him and after USHR named him Prep Defenseman of the Year, it looks like it could pay off in a big way...albeit in about 4-5 years.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Was so impressed with his poise, smarts and upside when I first saw him with Milton Academy last season.

I believe that pick is going to go down as one of Boston's better diamonds-in-the-rough in a few years.

Excellent mobility for his size. Showed some offensive upside this season with Pat McNally at Harvard and ROG no longer needing to cover for him.

Had he spent two years in prep before being draft eligible, no way the Bruins get him at the end of the 5th round, but not enough sample size for some teams while others were scared off by his going back to prep this season instead of playing in the EJHL or USHL.

The B's rolled the dice with him and after USHR named him Prep Defenseman of the Year, it looks like it could pay off in a big way...albeit in about 4-5 years.
Amen, Kirk.

Last year at Dev Camp I thought O'Gara looked surprisingly good for a HS kid playing against seasoned Jr prospects.

Will disagree with the previous poster about Trotman, think the B's could have something better than a #7 d-man there.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:47 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post

if you are moving does this mean you go back to writing all that great Draft Guide stuff next year?

Old
06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Kirk- NEHJ

O'Gara turned 18 the day he reported to d-camp.

What stood out to me was how much more advanced his footwork was there at Ristuccia than it was earlier in the season when I saw him the 1st time.

Then, this past fall, saw him playing T1 midget with the GBL Bruins and he looked even better in terms of his mobility, when he was activating and his overall two-way game.

Usually, kids his size are still very much in the gangly stage and awkward. He's going to be a polished, effectively swift guy as a freshman at Yale. Would not surprise me if he earns some attention and accolades right off the bat. Mature beyond his years and just a great kid/great family.

Introduced Bri to his mom and dad-- he can vouch for that.

Closed Thread