HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part II) - Brooks: Rangers after Radulov

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

vCash: 500
I don't mind Rabdulov. He has raw skill but doesn't have heart, I'm sure torts would woop him into shape. Trade our 1st straight up.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:13 AM
NYR Viper

Just a few comments on this thread as a whole:

1) Radulov looked lost defensively in Nashville because he was trying to learn the system on the run AND playing important minutes on top of that. He is actually a decent defensive player. He is not Zherdev and never has been. Kreider looked lost defensively in the Rangers system a few times and he was playing less minutes on average than Radulov. Same general principle.

2) People calling him a locker room cancer do not have their facts straight. He is anything but. From all reports he is a stand-up young man who decided to go back home to play for a few years instead of playing for minimal money away from home. Not the craziest decision I have ever heard of.

I would be ALL for it. Acquire his rights, give him a decent contract (~4 million/season) for a couple of years and let him learn the system and get to know the team. He doesn't HAVE to slide all over the place and block shots, he just needs to generate offense.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Cliffy1814

Radulov makes sense on many levels.
Although 20-25 teams in the leage would want him, Poile knows he probably only stays in N. Amercia for 3 or 4 teams. Rangers would be near top of that list. That will lower the asking price significantly.

He is young and skilled. You worry about brining a guy like this into a questionable locker room. Far less worry bringing him into our locker room. He'll conform because of the leadership in the room.

We pull this off and we can forget about Nash. we take our run at Parise (he's going to detroit IMO). We can still do something else like Iginla for a year or upgrade on D.

I like it.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Jersey Girl

Just curious for the people who want Radulov...Why? Why would we want a guy like Radulov?

I'm not following the logic here...

Old
06-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Nickmo82

vCash: 50
as long as no major assets go the other way, then i think it is worth the risk of a draft pick or two.

we're in a position to make a run on the cup over the next couple of years and he would help.

Obviously don't go back to the "sell the farm" type shenanigans of years past... but yeah.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:26 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickmo82 View Post
we're in a position to make a run on the cup over the next couple of years and he would help.
How?

Old
06-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Outstanding young men attack their coaches with their sticks?

Old
06-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
All you keep talking about are stats. Stats that didn't happen in the NHL no less.

There is more to the sport and the dynamic of a team's chemistry.
Dont you think this team has enough gritty character guys? What this squad is missing, far more than anything else, is offensive creativity. You need a well-rounded team to win the cup, and this team's inability to consistently score goals is the reason we're not playing in June.

Is Radulov a bad seed? Yea, seems like it. But I'm glad Sather is kicking the tires on a price for this kid. It shows that management has identified that type of player its missing. More importantly, it shows Sather wants to establish the price for Radulov before he automatically kicks him to the curb for perceived attitude issues.

Im worried about redundancy on this roster - load this roster up with enough gritty guys that have the potential to score 20 goals and they become even easier to defend against.

We need a gamebreaking offensive talent, and Im confident enough in the leadership structure of this team that I dont believe taking on a talent like Radulov (warts and all) would be a net negative.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:28 AM
pwoz

Weak UFA list this year:

http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2012-n...d-by-position/

Old
06-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
As for learning the system, look defense isn't a part of a player's game that they develop. Anyone can play defense, it just takes effort. Not back checking or picking up your man is laziness, not learning the system

Old
06-04-2012, 09:33 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

A big Radulov contract ($4-5MM, 4-5 years) doesn't scare me in the least because it could easily be downloaded to a KHL team if things didn't work out here. Not many I say that about.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Just curious for the people who want Radulov...Why? Why would we want a guy like Radulov?

Hes could potentially be the cheapest option out there with the highest offensive upside.

Show me a guy out there with offensive gamebreaker talent thats a perfect option in terms of price and attitude (hint: youll be looking for a long, long time).

Old
06-04-2012, 09:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

He had 44 goals his first 2 years in the NHL. There were no discipline issues then and no issues when he played in Quebec for Patrick Roy. If the Rangers can acquire his rights without moving any major assets and then sign him to an affordable two year contract,its a good gamble. A lot of ifs there. Risky. Radulov is two years away from group III. Does he want to play in Nashville after what transpired in PHX? If he was returning to NASH,his people in Russia wouldn't be negotiating with teams and those teams wouldn't be willing to spend millions to acquire his rights from his previous KHL team.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:45 AM
pwoz

Radulov definitely has upside, but I don't think Torts will tolerate his attitude for more than 5 minutes.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Radulov definitely has upside, but I don't think Torts will tolerate his attitude for more than 5 minutes.
Torts made comments about not boxing the team in when it came to both the system and type of players that could be coming in. This is a perfect example.

If Radulov came aboard, Torts needs to learn how to adapt and coexist with him - plain and simple.

I give all the credit in the world to Torts coming in here and changing the culture of the NYR - but the "Torts kinda guy" thing can only go so far.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Torts made comments about not boxing the team in when it came to both the system and type of players that could be coming in. This is a perfect example.

If Radulov came aboard, Torts needs to learn how to adapt and coexist with him - plain and simple.

I give all the credit in the world to Torts coming in here and changing the culture of the NYR - but the "Torts kinda guy" thing can only go so far.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:54 AM
NikC

Quote:
still thought there are options that we should explore to improve depth.

if we move AA/Boyle in a package trade:

Gaustaud 4/3rd line C

Kelly, 3rd line C

maybe JOnes.

Garrison or Wideman on defense would be a huge help as would
Suter but he's pricey.

Need to bring in both top line and depth offense with Gaborik not returning to at least Nov./Dec. He probably won't return to form immediatley as well. He shouldn't be the "go to guy" for offense

Old
06-04-2012, 09:55 AM
NikC

Quote:

yes, i read that and it tells me that Tortorella welcomes high end offensive players that can be taught our system.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
I don't care if we sign Bozo the Clown. If he can score 30+ goals 35+ assists consistently, then sign me up.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
How?
By putting pucks in the net.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:58 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I guess I must have missed the attitude issues. Where were these multiple occurrences? It was brought to light that he and Kostitsyn were in the lobby eating a late dinner as they were hungry. They got back to their rooms late and were subsequently benched for (2) games. Benched for a late dinner? Too much was made of that night by everyone involved.

Or are we talking about him returning to Russia for a MAJOR payday to play in his home country near his friends and family? That shows a bad attitude?

Every coach and player he has played with has said he is a great teammate. Hell, he ran out of Nashville back to the KHL and they decided they would bring him back as a deadline pick-up after his KHL season was up. That doesn't sounds like he has attitude issues.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Jersey Girl

So we make it to six games away from the Stanley Cup, and people are advocating bringing in a guy like Radulov? I just don't see it...

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
still thought there are options that we should explore to improve depth.

if we move AA/Boyle in a package trade:

Gaustaud 4/3rd line C

Kelly, 3rd line C

maybe JOnes.

Garrison or Wideman on defense would be a huge help as would
Suter but he's pricey.

Need to bring in both top line and depth offense with Gaborik not returning to at least Nov./Dec. He probably won't return to form immediatley as well. He shouldn't be the "go to guy" for offense
Really dont understand the point of jettisoning bottom 6 players (when our bottom 6 is fine if players were consistently playing down there where they belong - like AA and Boyle), and then bringing in more expensive bottom 6 players.

Bring in legitimate top 6 guys to shift players like AA and Boyle down in the lineup and this roster is fine.

Old
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Well said.

I think this team is at a point where they can handle a guy like Radulov. People are typically a byproduct of their surroundings. Put Radulov in the Rangers locker room and I bet he'll buy-in more than people expect.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I guess I must have missed the attitude issues. Where were these multiple occurrences? It was brought to light that he and Kostitsyn were in the lobby eating a late dinner as they were hungry. They got back to their rooms late and were subsequently benched for (2) games. Benched for a late dinner? Too much was made of that night by everyone involved.

Or are we talking about him returning to Russia for a MAJOR payday to play in his home country near his friends and family? That shows a bad attitude?

Every coach and player he has played with has said he is a great teammate. Hell, he ran out of Nashville back to the KHL and they decided they would bring him back as a deadline pick-up after his KHL season was up. That doesn't sounds like he has attitude issues.
Its one thing to live with Radulov's issues and realize his talent can make things pan out to a net positive.

Its a different thing entirely to try to absolve Radulov of any wrong-doing in the past couple of years. The guys got issues - theres no denying it. I dont know why you would try.

Closed Thread