HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part II) - Brooks: Rangers after Radulov

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think this team is at a point where they can handle a guy like Radulov. People are typically a byproduct of their surroundings. Put Radulov in the Rangers locker room and I bet he'll buy-in more than people expect.
Maybe...maybe not. Not sure if that kind of gamble is worth a sacrifice of assets.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its one thing to live with Radulov's issues and realize his talent can make things pan out to a net positive.

Its a different thing entirely to try to absolve Radulov of any wrong-doing in the past couple of years. The guys got issues - theres no denying it. I dont know why you would try.
I was being serious. What else has he done? Did I miss something that makes him have a bad attitude? Most people who have played with him or coached him have a high opinion of him that I have read.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:10 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
So we make it to six games away from the Stanley Cup, and people are advocating bringing in a guy like Radulov? I just don't see it...
The Rangers are six wins from the Cup,and people are advocating trading for Rick Nash when the asking price is insane. The Rangers need another top 6 forward and another D. Trading for Nash creates more holes than it solves. Zach Parise will command a retirement contract. Major term. Major dollars. The Rangers have that commitment with Brad Richards. One is enough.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
What would you guys want from Buffalo for Dubinsky?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Maybe...maybe not. Not sure if that kind of gamble is worth a sacrifice of assets.
What assets are you sacrificing? This whole concept hinges on the idea of acquiring Radulov at a reasonable price. A second round pick for a guy who can be a 70+ point player and hasn't even turned 26 yet? That's a hell of a bargain. I think it'll take more than that, but even a late 1st in a hit-or-miss draft isn't a tough pill to swallow.

If the team can iron out some of his wrinkles, then he's a very skilled player who could be a part of this team for a long time to come. If he doesn't? Then he bolts back to Russia and the experiment is over. However, you would have to think that if the team is serious about acquiring his rights, then they've done their due diligence on him and feel like he could assimilate well enough.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:19 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I guess I must have missed the attitude issues. Where were these multiple occurrences? It was brought to light that he and Kostitsyn were in the lobby eating a late dinner as they were hungry. They got back to their rooms late and were subsequently benched for (2) games. Benched for a late dinner? Too much was made of that night by everyone involved.

Or are we talking about him returning to Russia for a MAJOR payday to play in his home country near his friends and family? That shows a bad attitude?

Every coach and player he has played with has said he is a great teammate. Hell, he ran out of Nashville back to the KHL and they decided they would bring him back as a deadline pick-up after his KHL season was up. That doesn't sounds like he has attitude issues.
I couldn't care less about the late night dinner/drinking/whatever. What I would like to know is did he make it known well in advance that he'd go to Russia for the bigger paycheck, or was it an all of a sudden type decision?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
What assets are you sacrificing? This whole concept hinges on the idea of acquiring Radulov at a reasonable price. A second round pick for a guy who can be a 70+ point player and hasn't even turned 26 yet? That's a hell of a bargain. I think it'll take more than that, but even a late 1st in a hit-or-miss draft isn't a tough pill to swallow.
Why would Nashville accept a second rounder for a 70+ point player? Doesn't make sense.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I was being serious. What else has he done? Did I miss something that makes him have a bad attitude? Most people who have played with him or coached him have a high opinion of him that I have read.
I just think you're sugarcoating a few major issues he'd had.

For starters - I'll forgive him for when he cracked his KHL coach with a stick. That looked like it was in the heat of the moment, I dont think think he meant to do it. Still, that was a pretty ugly scene.

Whats worse is the late-night partying thing. I dont think anyone knows the real details of what happened, but Im not so sure your PG version is completely accurate. Even if it is, I have to speculate that a 2 game playoff suspension was the culmination of a whole host of issue with Trotz - who I think is one of the most respected and underrated coaches in the league. You're trying to tell me Radulov was suspended for 2 playoff games cause he was having dinner at 1am? c'mon.

Then theres the issue of wiping his ass with his NHL contract and bolting for the KHL.

Theres risk here - its disingenuous to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Why would Nashville accept a second rounder for a 70+ point player? Doesn't make sense.
Because the alternative is to lose him for absolutely nothing.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So we make it to six games away from the Stanley Cup, and people are advocating bringing in a guy like Radulov? I just don't see it...
Do you agree that we need more offense? If so, how do you propose we improve offensively?

We can hope to get more of a contribution from some players (Kreider, Hagelin, Dubinsky, Stepan, Artie, Boyle), but will that be enough? What if other players regress?

The price for Nash will be too much. Parise may not want to sign here and his cap hit might cause problems down the road. Bobby Ryan doesn't seem to be available any more.

There are limited options. Radoluv is a bit of a gamble, but if the cost isn't that great, then it may be worth it to bring him in. If it takes a 1st rounder to get him, I'm fine with that. He's a very talented player. Give him a 2 year deal (incentive for him since he will be UFA at the end and good for Rangers because we aren't locked in long term). Backload the contract so that if we need to buy him out, it won't hurt as much.

Or if he's fine with a 1 year deal, give him a 1 year deal and he's still RFA at the end.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:26 AM
OverTheCap

One thing I know for sure: Radulov will have to be thick-skinned and have a good head on this shoulders to play here. About half the fanbase seems split on him, and certain perceptions of him exist, whether true or not.

If Radulov gets off to a slow start, is mistake-prone, etc., the fans and media are not going to show him any mercy. Some fans may be concerned that his behavior is selfish or distracting a la Avery. He has to be the type of player that can brush off these criticisms and move on.

I have my reservations about Radulov. I think he's a talented player that can help the team offensively but there a lot of question marks. Can he handle the pressure and distractions of playing in NY? If things aren't going his way, does he react well to adversity or act out? Will he he get along with Torts and be able to go through a rigorous training camp?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's more like advocating bringing in offense. He's a KHL superstar and could put up big goals for us.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

No
No
No

Old
06-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Do you agree that we need more offense? If so, how do you propose we improve offensively?

We can hope to get more of a contribution from some players (Kreider, Hagelin, Dubinsky, Stepan, Artie, Boyle), but will that be enough? What if other players regress?

The price for Nash will be too much. Parise may not want to sign here and his cap hit might cause problems down the road. Bobby Ryan doesn't seem to be available any more.

There are limited options. Radoluv is a bit of a gamble, but if the cost isn't that great, then it may be worth it to bring him in. If it takes a 1st rounder to get him, I'm fine with that. He's a very talented player. Give him a 2 year deal (incentive for him since he will be UFA at the end and good for Rangers because we aren't locked in long term). Backload the contract so that if we need to buy him out, it won't hurt as much.

Or if he's fine with a 1 year deal, give him a 1 year deal and he's still RFA at the end.
It's not like he only way to improve the Rangers is to add a guy like Radulov. We can add offense and/or improve in other areas. We were six games away from winning the Stanley Cup this year, not 60. No reason to move in a different direction at this point.

Stay the course.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:33 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's not like he only way to improve the Rangers is to add a guy like Radulov. We can add offense and/or improve in other areas. We were six games away from winning the Stanley Cup this year, not 60. No reason to move in a different direction at this point.

Stay the course.
Okay. How?

Trading for Radulov doesn't constitute moving in a different direction. This will still be basically the same time as last year.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Still want David Jones, but I would take Radulov for the right price

Old
06-04-2012, 10:38 AM
nyrleetch

I'd easily take Radulov for a 2nd+ Minor Prospect. The guy can flat out play. I don't think he would be a locker room problem at all.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Okay. How?

Trading for Radulov doesn't constitute moving in a different direction. This will still be basically the same time as last year.
So you're saying the only way we can possibly improve is to add a guy like Radulov? There are zero other options besides this?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
NYR Viper

The team needs to diversify it's talents. Right now they are too heavily into the shot-blocking/grinder portion of the market. They need to up their stake in skill and creativity. If they were to replace Fedotenko with Radulov this off-season, how many people would really be all that upset?

We aren't saying to get rid of Callahan, Stepan, Boyle, Prust. Just infuse some skill.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Vitto79

so Vokun just got dealt to Pitts for a 7th then signed a 2 yr , 2 million per deal

This Radulov dealio could happen real quick then. Same idea

Old
06-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Because the alternative is to lose him for absolutely nothing.
Correct. If he says to Poille, "I'm willing to play in one of these 4 NHL markets, or I'll be going to Russia" what are they supposed to do? Let him walk for nothing, and then watch him return in 2014 as a Group III FA?

Getting nothing for a guy that is going to walk is poor asset management. However, like I said, given that our 1st rounder is so late this year, I'd certainly offer to deal it to Nashville in exchange for his rights, assuming we were given the opportunity to negotiate with Radulov before the trade went through.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Well said.

I think this team is at a point where they can handle a guy like Radulov. People are typically a byproduct of their surroundings. Put Radulov in the Rangers locker room and I bet he'll buy-in more than people expect.
Totally agree.

Remember "safe is death?"

That's how Radulov plays. Not in a bad way. He is looking to create something every single time he has the puck, rather than slapping the puck around the boards at the first sign of pressure (nearly every other Rangers forward). He is a catalyst. He can make things happen. That's exactly the type of player we need. We've been discussing trading valuable assets to get that guy in Nash or Ryan, or spending tons of cap space on Parise, who is not even that type of player! It's a no-brainer. If you can get the type of guy you need, at the price that's being speculated, then I'll take my chances with "the baggage" any day of the week.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Regular Salad

Quote:
So you're saying the only way we can possibly improve is to add a guy like Radulov? There are zero other options besides this?
I don't think that's what he said at all.

He's saying the addition of Radulov would not mean that the team is going in a different direction. We would be "staying the course" as you put it. Just beefing up our offense which is something we need to improve as you also pointed out.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
I don't think that's what he said at all.

He's saying the addition of Radulov would not mean that the team is going in a different direction. We would be "staying the course" as you put it. Just beefing up our offense which is something we need to improve as you also pointed out.
Well then if we all agree there are other options besides trading for Radulov, I for one would like to explore those other options.

Not a big fan of Radulov.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
beastly115

I'd take a flyer on Radulov. If he gets out of line he'll bolt to Russia. We're not getting Parise. Nash will cost too many assets. Do it Slats!

Closed Thread