HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz talks about his summer and his Habs experience

Old
06-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Asamu

vCash: 500
Raphael Diaz talks about his summer and his Habs experience

Article written by Dave Stubbs Here

Do you see him with the habs next year? He'll be a RFA on July 1st. What contract should he have?

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

If he actually was injured in the latter stages of the season, and the real Diaz was the one from november to january, then I don't see why the habs wouldn't sign him again. Problem is that the habs have many puckmovers already in Subban, Markov and Kaberle.

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
idk

I thought Diaz was reasonably solid in his own end, although his lack of physicality hurts him. Better certainly than Campoli, Kaberle and Weber. Right now for next season we have Markov (wonky knee and all), Subban (hopefully), Gorges and Kaberle. That leaves three spots (two regular guys and an alternate). Emelin should be one of those guys but we really need another big body on the blue line to balance everything out. Would Diaz be happy coming in as number seven? Given our last couple of seasons he'd likely see significant ice time from injuries (and hopefully we'd rest Kaberle about 20 games even if he's healthy). Would he accept a contract that pays him as a number seven should be paid?

idk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Him and Emelin played their best hockey of the year together, definitely would like to see Diaz brought back as he was a lot better defensively that I thought he would be.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamu View Post
Article written by Dave Stubbs Here

Do you see him with the habs next year? He'll be a RFA on July 1st. What contract should he have?
I guess you just make the basic QO first, anyway. If he's ready to take that, great. If not... well, I could see something like 1-3 yrs, maybe escalating $1-1.5M if it's mutliple years and mgmt has a good impression of him. Defensemen aren't cheap. He looked pretty good for a while, and presumably has some upside to get better with further adaptation and good health. Even if he doesn't fit the niche we need most on the D, and even if we have other prospects in the pipeline on D, he's still an asset worth keeping.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I saw a lot more from Diaz in the NHL than I saw from Weber. If the choice is keeping one of them, it'd be Diaz for me.

Subban
Gorges
Markov
Emelin
Diaz
Kaberle

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I saw a lot more from Diaz in the NHL than I saw from Weber. If the choice is keeping one of them, it'd be Diaz for me.
Same here.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Et le But

Diaz was probably better on both ends than Emelin, let's be honest, he just lacked the great hits.

I'd rather have Emelin going forward because of the physical factor and superior skating, but Diaz is a good squad player.

However don't forget that Diaz wasn't even considered an NHL prospect at Weber's age. But the Habs have too many better prospects and Weber makes sense as trade bait while he has marginal value. Diaz is more useful in the short term.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Diaz was a very solid defensman for us. One of the few bright spots this year. Very smart and calm which I appreciated, and he sees the ice really well offensively. I think he's an excellent and underrated third pairing defenseman.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

It started rough, but I learned to appreciate his game around december and january. But with Kaberle still with the team, I really don't see how he would fit in the equation.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:18 PM
jwolf

I think it's worth keeping him on the team. He showed some skill with the puck, a good shot from the point though he still needs some work in his own end. There are always injuries to consider - god forbid one of our puck-movers go down...

It would be between him and Weber for the 7-spot. Diaz looks better, but Weber is younger so take your pick!

As long as we get bigger on D before the season starts, I'm not too concerned about the Diaz vs Weber debate.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Andy

If Diaz was 6'2, he would get a lot more credit for his play last season. People have become too obsessed with size these days. Diaz imo was better than Emelin for a good chunk of the season and was a lot better than fans and media's view of him.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

You know how everyone's talking about buying out Gomez?

How about instead, buying out Kaberle?

There is the possibility of an amnesty clause, so you use that for Gomez and buyout Kaberle and voila! We're automatically a better team by substraction!

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
You know how everyone's talking about buying out Gomez?

How about instead, buying out Kaberle?

There is the possibility of an amnesty clause, so you use that for Gomez and buyout Kaberle and voila! We're automatically a better team by substraction!
What does this have to do with Diaz?

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What does this have to do with Diaz?
It opens up the spot for him that everyone's not sure he can have.

I believe he belongs in the top 6, and is far better than a #7.

So by moving Kabs and Gomez, it allows the habs to make the necessary moves to fortify their Defense.

As it stands, you kind of have a log jam and it's not necessarily that great of a problem because God forbids that the habs can escape injuries on D. But by having a guy like Diaz on 7th, you don't really give him the opportunity to grow and better himself as a D, and to be honest, I don't think he belongs in the A.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Miller Time

No reason not to have him firmly penciled in for a bottom-3 role.

Solid player who should improve considerably in year two (given his age/pro experience, I'd suspect a sophomore slump is unlikely).

If we could swap kaberle (or his cap hit) for a solid physical dman, our bottom 3 would be set.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

I hope he's back, he really impressed me.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:02 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
As we saw the last 2 season, you never have too many D.He's a keeper.

Last edited by CareyClutch: 06-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.
CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't see any reason to worry about the "logjam" on D at this point... we can't know what will transpire with all these guys during the off-season (or during any CBA interruption)... if Kaberle is training hard and comes back committed, he could be a much better player than he was with us last season. Weber could turn the corner. Diaz back to health and with the adaptation year could take another step forward. I'd rather go into camp with all of them atm and just see who wants it most. It wouldn't stop me from shopping also for a bigger stay-at-home D on the UFA market. At least with Diaz and Weber there are also no real salary cap issues with bringing them back and letting them compete for spots, so I'd very much rather keep those guys in the mix than dump either one off unceremoniously for what is likely to be a relatively minimal return.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I see him as a good bottom pairing two way defensemen. He's good defensively and can create plays but lacks physicality. He'd be great playing with a more physical defensemen on the bottom pairing, like Emelin if we acquire a top4 defensemen this summer. Kaberle makes everything more complicated of course because a Kaberle-Diaz pairing would be soft as a pillow.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

If its diaz vs weber, I keep diaz, but in general, diaz represents the redundancy on the habs blueline. Montreal needs to add some sandpaper and players who can protect the crease and keep the opposition honest.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:04 PM
raz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
If its diaz vs weber, I keep diaz, but in general, diaz represents the redundancy on the habs blueline. Montreal needs to add some sandpaper and players who can protect the crease and keep the opposition honest.
Diaz is as reliable defensively as Gorges. Doesn't block as many shots, but has real offensive potential.

raz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:12 PM
PsychoticHab

vCash: 672
If there was a way to hold on to Diaz and just move Kaberle (if anyone actually wants him) I think I'd much rather do that. He was pretty solid for it having been his first year in the NHL and if it was an injury that slowed him down at the end then I'd much rather see what he does next year (At his price tag) than what Kaberle can do even if his claim is true that he's working hard.

As for Weber, I don't mind giving him one more year but if a decent offer for him comes I think I would rather move on with someone else.

Something like:

-Subban
-Gorges
-Markov
-Diaz
-Emelin
-(A #4-6 D-Man through FA)(For example someone like Jackman or Allen)
-St. Denis (As the #7)

PsychoticHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz123 View Post
Diaz is as reliable defensively as Gorges.
No, and it's not close. Gorges is a first-pairing guy, Diaz at this stage is strictly third-pairing.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 04:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz123 View Post
Diaz is as reliable defensively as Gorges. Doesn't block as many shots, but has real offensive potential.
No.

No...

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote