HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part II) - Brooks: Rangers after Radulov

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
So you're saying the only way we can possibly improve is to add a guy like Radulov? There are zero other options besides this?
Who said that?

If anything, I think anyone advocating this would only be satisfied if his rights came cheap, and then he came relatively cheap on a 2 year deal.

It would add a dynamic offensive talent AND give you flexibility to add more depth.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:58 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
So you're saying the only way we can possibly improve is to add a guy like Radulov? There are zero other options besides this?
I'm not saying that at all. I said our options are limited. Of the limited options, I feel like Radulov might be our best choice.

I'm asking YOU (for the 3rd time) to provide other options. Since you don't want Radulov, which options do you think are better?

Old
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Who said that?

If anything, I think anyone advocating this would only be satisfied if his rights came cheap, and then he came relatively cheap on a 2 year deal.

It would add a dynamic offensive talent AND give you flexibility to add more depth.
Well, as I said, if we all agree there are other options to improve, my vote would be to explore the other options and stay away from Radulov.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well then if we all agree there are other options besides trading for Radulov, I for one would like to explore those other options.

Not a big fan of Radulov.
I don't blame you. Everyone's different and I personally am a sucker for a flashy Russian winger, but i say if Radulov is being looked at to solve our offensive issues and that's that, then I would be a little more weary of the situation. If the plan is to snag Rads AND grab somebody even better, then i say the more the merrier.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:01 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Radulov's rights would easily cost a 1st rounder and a solid prospect at least. C'mon, Erixon cost two 2nd rounders.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Well, as I said, if we all agree there are other options to improve, my vote would be to explore the other options and stay away from Radulov.
Personally, I dont think theres any options where you can come close to Radulov's offensive skill that could potentially cost so little in terms of assets and salary.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
Radulov's rights would easily cost a 1st rounder and a solid prospect at least. C'mon, Erixon cost two 2nd rounders.
hope your wrong but maybe.......I just think NSH wants to move him out and everyone knows that. He kinda screwed up there

This should be all done in a week. Vokun just got deal and had a deal in place with Pitts.............same idea with Radulov, I bet compensation is agreed on and Sather is talking contract

Old
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Not sure it's the same thing. Erixon was going back into the draft...Radulov might be leaving the country.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so Vokun just got dealt to Pitts for a 7th then signed a 2 yr , 2 million per deal

This Radulov dealio could happen real quick then. Same idea
Yes, I heard Sather was just waiting to see where Vokoun landed before he made his move on Radulov.

Old
GAGLine

Quote:
Different situations. If Erixon had gone back into the draft, calgary would have received a compensatory 2nd round pick. If Radulov walks, nashville gets nothing. Erixon was also subject to the Entry Level System. Radulov is going to want to get paid and has big money waiting for him in the KHL if he decides to go back.

The price could end up being a 1st and a prospect, but I don't think the price we paid for Erixon has any bearing on that.

Old
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm asking YOU (for the 3rd time) to provide other options. Since you don't want Radulov, which options do you think are better?
Difficult to be specific here since I don't know who is/will be available, but we can defintely get better in an number of areas...including more production out of our top six, more production out of our bottom six, better play in our own zone from someone like Del Zotto (whose defense sometimes outdoes his offense...and not in a good way), having six defensemen who can play in the playoffs instead of five, moving the puck out of our zone quickly so that we don't spend large chunks of time in our own zone, having an actual fourth line...instead of three guys who just happen to not make it onto any of the top three lines, improving the power play, finidng a way to start games at the start of games and not halfway thru and then battling back...and a few more I'm probably not thinking of right now.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Difficult to be specific here since I don't know who is/will be available, but we can defintely get better in an number of areas...including more production out of our top six, more production out of our bottom six, better play in our own zone from someone like Del Zotto (whose defense sometimes outdoes his offense...and not in a good way), having six defensemen who can play in the playoffs instead of five, moving the puck out of our zone quickly so that we don't spend large chunks of time in our own zone, having an actual fourth line...instead of three guys who just happen to not make it onto any of the top three lines, improving the power play, finidng a way to start games at the start of games and not halfway thru and then battling back...and a few more I'm probably not thinking of right now.
http://www.sportscity.com/nhl/2012-n...d-by-position/

Old
06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
So, you have no answer. Gotcha.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Is Radulov a Torts kind of guy....?

06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
So, you have no answer. Gotcha.
Actually it's an answer that doesn't say 'yes we have to get Radulov', so you don't like it and say it's no answer. Gotcha.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Vitto79

how about Aaron Asham on the 4th line RW spot in case Pruster takes the money and runs off elsewhere?

Old
06-04-2012, 12:18 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Actually it's an answer that doesn't say 'yes we have to get Radulov', so you don't like it and say it's no answer. Gotcha.
All you provided was a bunch of ifs and vague generalizations. Give me specifics. If you expect Kreider to put up 30 goals next year, say so. If there are other UFA or trade options that you feel are better options than Radulov, say so.

Just saying that there are a number of areas in which would COULD improve isn't saying anything.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
how about Aaron Asham on the 4th line RW spot in case Pruster takes the money and runs off elsewhere?
I hope this is, quite literally, the last thing going through Sather's brain when it comes to priorities right now.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

To be perfectly honest, as much as I love Parise...

Radulov fills a need better than Parise does, by far.

We have guys that play Parise's game in Callahan (who is nearly as good), and Dubinsky (who Parise is much better and more consistent than). Hagelin also plays a similar game.

We do not have anyone like Radulov. Richards and Gaborik are the closest, but Radulov has better hands (puck control) than both, and has better mobility and speed than Richards.

Radulov looks to create a scoring chance every single time he has the puck. He doesnt make the safe, easy play. He curls back, delays, shifts his weight and cuts into the middle, forces defenders to turn, finds the open areas extremely well, and is a quick decision maker / adjustment maker.

He is truly the EXACT type of catalyst that we don't have on our current roster, nor in our system.

Parise doesn't create his own offense.

Nash hasnt done it all that consistently, although he can, but he makes 7.8 mil and Howson wants an arm and a leg.

Ryan, while on a great contract, will cost serious assets, and he's not a pure catalyst either. He's a finisher. A power forward with great hands in tight areas, but he's not the hybrid scorer/playmaker than Radulov is.

Iginla is old and on the decline, even if he's still playing at a high level. He also makes 7 million, and Calgary isn't going to give away their career franchise player for peanuts. And he's not a catalyst. He's a finisher.

St. Louis can be the catalyst. But I doubt he's available for anything less than severe overpayment, and he's 36 as well.

Whitney would be a solid one year signing, but he's 40 and who knows how much he's really got left? He was great in the first round but faded as the playoffs went on.

Doan is not a catalyst. He's like a veteran version of Callahan or Parise. I'd love to have him, but I think it's unlikely he leaves Phoenix.

Then theres Radulov, who is the catalyst we desperately need. He CREATES something out of nothing. He attacks, attacks, attacks. He's always thinking offense. We have enough players who think defense first and make the safe play. We have enough players who smack the puck around the boards at the first sign of pressure. Radulov fills the need perfectly: a guy who can create his own opportunities. A guy who can create his own shot. A guy who can create scoring chances for others.

If the asking price is truly what has been speculated by Brooks (a 2nd or 1st round pick, and perhaps even a mediocre prospect), how can you not pull the trigger? Sather is smart. He's not going to walk away from an incredible deal just because the guy had one incident where he broke curfew hanging out with ******* Andrei Kostitsyn, or because the guy chose to play in his home country for a few years instead of Nashville, Tennessee.

It's like a $200 pair of jeans being marked down to $35 because there was a minor unnoticeable flaw with them. If the jeans fill a need (you are pantless, perhaps) then how could you turn that down?

GET ME RADULOV.

He is exactly the type of player we have been missing. If the price is truly that low, this is such a steal. We traded Fedor Tyutin for Zherdev when there were issues with his work ethic and effort. Now, we may be able to get Radulov for a 2nd or late 1st round pick? I can't believe some of you are so against this move.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
DutchShamrock

It's kind of funny that Richards and Carter were confirmed partiers. Numerous stories of flocking to college campuses, late nights, drinking, etc. Not saying its fact, just saying that was the speculation. Because they got traded, it was an easy story to say that they were the reasons the Flyers couldn't get over the hump. Not the goalie, because that wasn't the story delivered on a silver plater that day, it was Richards and Carter's fault.

Now they are two games away from a cup, and the pariah Carter is one of the top deadline moves, not one story about their off ice lives, and oh yeah, the fact that these are some pretty solid hockey players.

The same Carter nay-sayers are the same Radulov nay-sayers for the same reasons. Except that we have no confirmed story of the Russian partying, we do have a confirmed story of being one hour late after a story, but the other fictional thing is more interesting. The GM and coach have absolutely no agenda in making Radulov look bad right? No reason to drag him through the mud over the KHL thing, no reason to throw fresh meat to the press when they are on the verge of getting swept by the playoff sound Blues? No one is too interested in the fact that Weber went to management and vouched for the guy, begged them to bring Radulov in for the cup run. Either their captain has bad character judgement or we're getting the facts wrong.

Can't imagine why Carter and Richards get a pass during the majority of their stay in Philly. Sure they get put through the ringer on the way out the door but that's Philly's M.O. Can't imagine why Radulov gets crucified for one story of coming home late, and it's made into a bigger story than anything from Carter and Richards. No idea why there's a different perception and treatment from the North American press on this one.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
All you provided was a bunch of ifs and vague generalizations. Give me specifics. If you expect Kreider to put up 30 goals next year, say so. If there are other UFA or trade options that you feel are better options than Radulov, say so.

Just saying that there are a number of areas in which would COULD improve isn't saying anything.
I have no idea what you're asking me for...I do not talk with other GM's, so I do not specifically know who is available...so I can't give you specifics. Of course, you already know that.

I'm counting on Sather to do his job.

Not sure why me saying I don't want Radulov offends you so much. You want him. I don't. We are allowed to disagree here, and it doesn't have to degenerate into a P****** match.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Personally, I'm far more worried about harming team chemistry through subtraction than through addition, no matter how much of a wild card Radulov might be. It's why I never wanted to trade Dubinsky.

I'd be willing to give up our 1st and a prospect like Yogan for him. I might even go as high as Thomas.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Personally, I'm far more worried about harming team chemistry through subtraction than through addition, no matter how much of a wild card Radulov might be. It's why I never wanted to trade Dubinsky.

I'd be willing to give up our 1st and a prospect like Yogan for him. I might even go as high as Thomas.
I think our 1st rounder should be good enough to secure his rights. If we're including a solid prospect, I'd be looking for something else coming back our way. As good as Radulov is, the price for a players rights is very rarely, if ever, astronomical in terms of assets. Bouwmeester's rights got a 3rd, and he was considered to be a top d-man in the NHL at the time. Ehrhoff was considered to be a prime asset last summer, and the Nucks got a 4th for his rights.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think our 1st rounder should be good enough to secure his rights. If we're including a solid prospect, I'd be looking for something else coming back our way. As good as Radulov is, the price for a players rights is very rarely, if ever, astronomical in terms of assets. Bouwmeester's rights got a 3rd, and he was considered to be a top d-man in the NHL at the time. Ehrhoff was considered to be a prime asset last summer, and the Nucks got a 4th for his rights.
I know this is a similar situation in many ways, but there's a significant difference. Radulov isn't a UFA. Also, there's going to be much more competition than in your standard trade rights negotiation

Old
06-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
It's kind of funny that Richards and Carter were confirmed partiers. Numerous stories of flocking to college campuses, late nights, drinking, etc. Not saying its fact, just saying that was the speculation. Because they got traded, it was an easy story to say that they were the reasons the Flyers couldn't get over the hump. Not the goalie, because that wasn't the story delivered on a silver plater that day, it was Richards and Carter's fault.

Now they are two games away from a cup, and the pariah Carter is one of the top deadline moves, not one story about their off ice lives, and oh yeah, the fact that these are some pretty solid hockey players.

The same Carter nay-sayers are the same Radulov nay-sayers for the same reasons. Except that we have no confirmed story of the Russian partying, we do have a confirmed story of being one hour late after a story, but the other fictional thing is more interesting. The GM and coach have absolutely no agenda in making Radulov look bad right? No reason to drag him through the mud over the KHL thing, no reason to throw fresh meat to the press when they are on the verge of getting swept by the playoff sound Blues? No one is too interested in the fact that Weber went to management and vouched for the guy, begged them to bring Radulov in for the cup run. Either their captain has bad character judgement or we're getting the facts wrong.

Can't imagine why Carter and Richards get a pass during the majority of their stay in Philly. Sure they get put through the ringer on the way out the door but that's Philly's M.O. Can't imagine why Radulov gets crucified for one story of coming home late, and it's made into a bigger story than anything from Carter and Richards. No idea why there's a different perception and treatment from the North American press on this one.
Personally, the Carter partying stuff meant next-to-nothing for me.

I was concerned about the price in assets and, especially, his off the charts crazy contract length.

Closed Thread