HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jonathan Bernier

Old
06-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I don't get it. James Reimer has put up a .911SV% in 71 NHL games. Johnathan Bernier has put up a .910SV% in 48 NHL games. But if I proposed Reimer for Brett Connolly and the 19th overall, I'd get flamed to hell and back. Add in the fact that Los Angeles actually knows how to play defense and it's even more confusing. So, honest question, what's the hype around Bernier about? Because he was an 11th overall pick?
I have always wondered the same and I don't get it either. I can't say I have seen him player (which would apparently change my mind) but his stats are less than impressive. Guess we won't know how he will turn out unless he gets traded but with his current save percentage on a defensive team I won't hold my breath waiting for him to steal games on his new team.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:25 AM
kinghock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
If LA is expecting Connolly + Det 1st then Muzzin/Forbert will be coming back.
Muzzin-yes, Forbert-no

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:37 AM
rajuabju

The Kings should absolutely NOT trade Bernier at this point, unless its overpayment, which I doubt will happen.

1) Quick will be signed long-term, probably in the high $6M range.
2) Bernier is going to be an RFA after next season, not a UFA. So unless another team wants to steal him, we can bring him back for another 1-3 years, after next year, at relatively cheap.
3) His trade value is low, simply because he hasnt been given enough of an opportunity. That value will only increase over the next 1-2 years.

So yea, unless another team wants to overpay, there's no incentive to move him right now.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:47 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
The Kings should absolutely NOT trade Bernier at this point, unless its overpayment, which I doubt will happen.
As an outsider, I agree that, short of a great return, LA has little incentive to split up a cheap tandem that is signed through next season.

Quote:
Quick will be signed long-term
One would expect, yes.

Quote:
Bernier is going to be an RFA...So unless another team wants to steal him, we can bring him back for another 1-3 years, after next year, at relatively cheap.
I wouldn't be so sure Bernier will be keen on playing so little beyond next season. If LA makes the long-term commitment to Quick that you and I and everybody in their right mind expects them to, I have little doubt LA will deal Bernier so that he can get his shot.

Quote:
His trade value is low, simply because he hasnt been given enough of an opportunity. That value will only increase over the next 1-2 years
The only way Bernier's value substantially increases, IMO, is if Quick gets injured and Bernier becomes (and does well as) the workhorse for some duration. You're not going to pay Quick the mega-bucks to sit on the bench much, so the opportunity you speak of may not come while he's with LA. He gets older and less affordable (in terms of salary and cap hit) and gets closer to UFA (perhaps suppressing his value) to the team that eventually acquires him.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
The Kings will have the 29th pick in the draft, no matter if they win or lose.
Blue jackets can and may use this pick. Its far from a sure thing. They may not use it but could trade it as well.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:52 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
I don't get it. James Reimer has put up a .911SV% in 71 NHL games. Johnathan Bernier has put up a .910SV% in 48 NHL games. But if I proposed Reimer for Brett Connolly and the 19th overall, I'd get flamed to hell and back. Add in the fact that Los Angeles actually knows how to play defense and it's even more confusing. So, honest question, what's the hype around Bernier about? Because he was an 11th overall pick?
See i told u way back on post 7 this would happen. Please go back and read my post as to why Bernier is better option. I would also say that that should tell you the potential of the guy that another team would want him over Remier

Old
06-04-2012, 11:56 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
Quick is scheduled to be a UFA after next year. If you think he will not immediately get a long term extension at the earliest possible chance you are crazy.
Who said he wasnt being signed asap. What i said was the 3.05 million is a correct number for the la goalies next season.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:58 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
If LA is expecting Connolly + Det 1st then Muzzin/Forbert will be coming back.
see post 8

Old
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Because Bernier is actually a good goalie

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
DaAnimal

i think JB will be a big discussion during the draft. I can see DL trying to insert some value into other organizations so he can get a 1st rounder.

TB are you interested?

Edmonton do you want to part ways with your 1st?

I like this years draft. I'm not banking on JB's departure. If he does get traded, I wouldn't be mad, nor would I be happy. I think it is a win win for JB either way. If he gets traded, he'll get the opportunity to be #1 and if he stays, he will be more experienced.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:18 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
TB are you interested?
Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Edmonton do you want to part ways with your 1st?
Why would Edmonton be interested? They have a pretty nice goalie tandem right now.

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
See i told u way back on post 7 this would happen. Please go back and read my post as to why Bernier is better option. I would also say that that should tell you the potential of the guy that another team would want him over Remier
So he has some shutouts, but still a not that great save percentage. guess that means he is streaky? Not something you want in a starting goalie. Brian Elliott got 9 shutouts in 38 games this year but signed for 1.8m. Niemi was tied for 5th in the league this year for shutouts with 6 and a number of San Jose fans want to trade him for someone better. Getting a lot of shutouts doesn't necessarily translate into good goalie.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:30 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
see post 8
I read post 8 obviously someone that I responded to didn't read it. We don't want Martinez if it would require the 10th. Is Martinez LH or RH? If RH I can see us offering a 2nd for him but nothing more.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:44 PM
HoseEmDown

I'm not if this was mentioned yet but I can't see Bernier getting a bigger return than what Varlamov got last year. A 1st and a 2nd, the 1st wasnt a known position since it was for this draft but I'm sure Colorado figured it would be mid 1st, and same with the 2nd. Varlamov also had slightly better numbers in regular season and playoff experience.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant123 View Post
So he has some shutouts, but still a not that great save percentage. guess that means he is streaky? Not something you want in a starting goalie. Brian Elliott got 9 shutouts in 38 games this year but signed for 1.8m. Niemi was tied for 5th in the league this year for shutouts with 6 and a number of San Jose fans want to trade him for someone better. Getting a lot of shutouts doesn't necessarily translate into good goalie.
You forgetting his 5 shutouts come over 3 years. playing less then once every 3 weeks. Elliots stats are in one year playing every 2nd game ruffly Your compareing apples and oranges. Is it not reasonable to think a goalie is better with the more games they play? I agree its not a garente to be a great goalie. Its a sign hes ready for more work. Look at his ahl record i know not a great comparsion but its a tell hes capable of handling more games. All he needs is a chance which he wont with quick ahead of him

Old
06-04-2012, 01:12 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
You forgetting his 5 shutouts come over 3 years. playing less then once every 3 weeks. Elliots stats are in one year playing every 2nd game ruffly Your compareing apples and oranges. Is it not reasonable to think a goalie is better with the more games they play? I agree its not a garente to be a great goalie. Its a sign hes ready for more work. Look at his ahl record i know not a great comparsion but its a tell hes capable of handling more games. All he needs is a chance which he wont with quick ahead of him
Thomas last year had one of the best statistical years ever for a goalie, and Rask still played 29 games. If Bernier is as good as you and everyone else says he is, he would have earned his icetime and played more than 16 games this year in my opinion.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
crazyforhockey

value will probably be low for Bernier at this point

very few games in the NHL

even fewer and much worse numbers versus "playoff teams" even though playing in a defensive minded team

smaller goalie is a factor nowdays

positives

has good potential

cheap

La is better to drive up his value over the next two years

year one 3-0 vs playoffs teams that year 1SO 4ga .957sv%.........note one win vs Nas
year two 6-6-1 40ga .899sv% 1SO............................................... ..note 2wins vs Nas
year three 4-1 17ga .888sv%........................................... .......note 3wins vs Nas

so unless he plays vs Nas...at this time he needs to continue to hone his craft at the NHL level....if aquiring he will be a backup with limited exposure for next two years.

Last edited by crazyforhockey: 06-04-2012 at 01:33 PM.
crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
Thomas last year had one of the best statistical years ever for a goalie, and Rask still played 29 games. If Bernier is as good as you and everyone else says he is, he would have earned his icetime and played more than 16 games this year in my opinion.
He did earn is icetime and was great. In his 8 loses the Kings scored a combined 9 goals so his record does not reflect his play. Neither does his save percentage and goals against because the sample size is so small.

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrazor12 View Post
He did earn is icetime and was great. In his 8 loses the Kings scored a combined 9 goals so his record does not reflect his play. Neither does his save percentage and goals against because the sample size is so small.
What is a good sample size?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:06 PM
KBA4life

Quote:
Thomas's age compared to Quick's is a major factor here

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Grant i think you need to think of the type of goalie u want. A vetern thats has played enuff games to statify you want of a proven starter the loungo type where u have a contract for the next 10 years or a bernier type thats sign cheap u have control for a while that needs time play. The price for the younger one isnt cheap. There arent that many options aviable even less now that volkcon signed in pitts. Which has in my opinion has raised bernier slightly.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:10 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Because Bernier is actually a good goalie
Well I guess you can't argue with "because I said so" logic.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:29 PM
GreatSaveLuongo

Quote:
Good that you have acknowledged Mason. The biggest concern is not whether JB has potential or not (of course he has), but rather evaluating his consistency.

GreatSaveLuongo is offline   Reply With Quote