HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

It is Boyling this time of year. (Offseason Speculation Thread Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
one2gamble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
For those who were penciling in Vokoun as a supposed Niemi replacement....

Earlier today, Washington traded Vokoun's rights to Pittsburgh for a 7th rounder. Pittsburgh then announced the signing of a 2 year, $2 million/yr deal for Vokoun.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Vokoun gets $2M per year on the two year deal.
this is a strange signing to me for both the pens and vokoun

Old
06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtJorden View Post
Good. Theres only 10 more to find now
finding shep's goals is like finding a harry potter horcrux!!

Old
06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Hey guys, had a couple questions for y'all.

How was Niemi last year during the regular season, and then playoffs?

I've seen quite a few Sharks posters say they weren't really happy with him, and were throwing him around in trade proposals quite often.

Is Greiss ready to be a starter?

Would you trade Niemi if a good #4 defenceman was coming back?

Just wondering.
He was fine during the first half, kind of brokedown during the second half, although the defense fell apart as well. He was good during the playoffs, definitely not the problem.

The reason he is thrown around in trade proposals is because it's believed that he is overpaid, and a Greiss/Stalock combo would be put up similar numbers for less money.

We would certainly trade Niemi for a #4 left handed puck mover, so long as he's not making much more than Niemi.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Yeah seems a little steep for a backup, especially since you'd think Vokoun would want to be a starter. But from what I've been reading on the Pens board, they like the signing because they felt MAFs meltdown in the playoffs had to do with being overworked. This potentially gives them a 1/1A tandem that can keep MAF rested, or give them a viable backup should MAF fail to return to form.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:25 AM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
they dont want fluery to play 80+ games anymore (playoffs included).... so vokoun is there to lighten the load.... in ways that Brent Johnson could not

Old
06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
skilks
This is nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
For those who were penciling in Vokoun as a supposed Niemi replacement....

Earlier today, Washington traded Vokoun's rights to Pittsburgh for a 7th rounder. Pittsburgh then announced the signing of a 2 year, $2 million/yr deal for Vokoun.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Vokoun gets $2M per year on the two year deal.
So what are they doing with Brent Johnson? He has been a stellar backup when I watched him.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:32 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:

I've seen quite a few Sharks posters say they weren't really happy with him, and were throwing him around in trade proposals quite often.

Just wondering.
Niemi had a down year, but so did a lot of the Sharks so it's not all his fault. We barely got to use Havlat and Burns spent half the season adjusting to a new team. Boyle was playing on a broken foot for the first month which really put us in a hole. Sharks fans were offering a lot of guys away, but I wouldn't put too much stock into that. It was a frustrating year.

Griess? I don't see him being a starter. Could be a good backup for a team like Biron is in NY (to play 25 or so times a year to give "the guy" some rest)

Still, I would trade Niemi if the right top-4 defenseman was offered. It would have to be a puck mover, who can skate. Preferably a left hander.

Last edited by magic school bus: 06-04-2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilk View Post
So what are they doing with Brent Johnson? He has been a stellar backup when I watched him.
Johnson is done. Bylsma was afraid to put him in and Fleury was awful. That just shows you what he thinks of Johnson. When he did play vs PHI, he was worse than MAF.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:40 AM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Food for thought:

Can Couture be a top line center?

Do we resign Moore, Mitchell, Galiardi, or Winnik?

Is it time for a rebuild or a last ditch cup run?

Who do we trade and for what?
Yes, he can. Just not sure when.

Moore is a capable, fast , two-way 3rd line centerman. For the right price, i'd welcome him back. I'd like Winnik back, but again, price is everything. Galiardi is a must. His qualifying offer will be low, and we need to retain SOMETHING from the failed McGinn trade. Mitchell... absolutely not.

One last cup run would be nice, but our top 3 guys are getting real old and we might need to look to the future much sooner than expected. I dont see DW trading patty or jumbo, so that leaves boyle.

Who do we trade? Boyle is the logical answer. He has a trade window that opens July 1st, but DW may end up holding onto him. I hear a lot of talk about moving Nemo, but until Greiss proves he can handle the load, it's not wise to move Niemi. I dont see us moving Havlat or Pavelski or Couture. That really just leaves Clowe, but I still don't even see him being moved.

I assume we sign some quality depth and make one more run. We'll probably make at least one trade, too, although I'm not sure for who.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
Galiardi is a must. His qualifying offer will be low, and we need to retain SOMETHING from the failed McGinn trade.
Not sure if I'm ready to call that a failed trade. I know McGinn getting hot was a nightmare to watch, but he did eventually cool down. I watched all of the games he was in and he "returned to form" so-to-speak.

Lets see what happens this year to get a better assessment of where they are at. Winnik/Gally will get training camp in and get a chance to shine on a *crosses fingers* completely revamped PK system and McGinn won't be fueled by the emotion of being traded and learning about it at 35,000 feet in the air.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
He was fine during the first half, kind of brokedown during the second half, although the defense fell apart as well. He was good during the playoffs, definitely not the problem.

The reason he is thrown around in trade proposals is because it's believed that he is overpaid, and a Greiss/Stalock combo would be put up similar numbers for less money.

We would certainly trade Niemi for a #4 left handed puck mover, so long as he's not making much more than Niemi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Niemi had a down year, but so did a lot of the Sharks so it's not all his fault. We barely got to use Havlat and Burns spent half the season adjusting to a new team. Boyle was playing on a broken foot for the first month which really put us in a hole. Sharks fans were offering a lot of guys away, but I wouldn't put too much stock into that. It was a frustrating year.

Griess? I don't see him being a starter. Could be a good backup for a team like Biron is in NY (to play 25 or so times a year to give "the guy" some rest)

Still, I would trade Niemi is the right top-4 defenseman was offered. It would have to be a puck mover, who can skate. Preferably a left hander.
Thanks for the replies.

I can definitely understand the frustration. Being a Leafs fan, that's all we've dealt with the past decade or so.

As most of you know, Leafs are not really set in net, and Burke himself has said he would like to add some insurance in net. I think from our team, Gunnarson/Franson would be the #4 defenceman available. Gunnar is a decent puckmover, but he's more suited in a defensive role. Franson is a very good offensive D. But, I don't think you'd want someone with as limited experience as him.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

I can definitely understand the frustration. Being a Leafs fan, that's all we've dealt with the past decade or so.

As most of you know, Leafs are not really set in net, and Burke himself has said he would like to add some insurance in net. I think from our team, Gunnarson/Franson would be the #4 defenceman available. Gunnar is a decent puckmover, but he's more suited in a defensive role. Franson is a very good offensive D. But, I don't think you'd want someone with as limited experience as him.
I think most Sharks fans would be good with a Gunnar/Niemi swap; not sure if Leafs fans would be up for that. We don't need the #4 to be offensive, just need him to move the puck effectively and be a good skater.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

No interest in Franson. I really do like Gunnarsson so personally I'd make the move. But I don't know if Doug Wilson would.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Falco5

I think the sharks should wait till the trade deadline to move Niemi (if at all). He is still a league average goaltender. He is payed to play at a level slightly above that and he is clearly capable of playing at that level.

We don't know if our young goalies are capable of carrying a full load at the nhl level. Why not start the season with Niemi but give the others a strong chance to steal the starting job. Counting on a young goaltender to do something he has never done before seems like a bad plan A for a team in the sharks position.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

I personally would move Gunnarson for Niemi. We have an excess number of D already, and Holzner (a good defensive defenceman) seems to be ready to make the jump from AHL. Trading either him or Schenn probably gets us the most value.

I'd like to make the move bigger though, and try to see if Clowe could be included. Aside from a goalie, our biggest needs are a PWF and a #1 C.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Clearly they blamed goal tending for the collapse and demise of their golden boy/franchise status. I'd go as far to say that Vokoun will likely see at least 30 games and could even earn a starting job.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:28 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post

Still, I would trade Niemi if the right top-4 defenseman was offered. It would have to be a puck mover, who can skate. Preferably a left hander.
Niemi did not really have a down year... He did have one bad month after an injury, but even with that overall he played as expected.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
WantonAbandon

No non NHL players atm. Sharks probably could win the conference with just one top four and a couple bottom six guys. David Jones and Staurt are very good ideas that have been posted here

Old
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

I'd rather hold onto Clowe, despite the majority of the posters on this board. Yes Clowe is slow, like skating through peanut butter slow, but Sharks have no other forward that brings the size, snarl and grit that Clowe does. Playing the big bodies of the LA Kings next year would be a total ***** without him.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Eighth Fret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Food for thought:

Can Couture be a top line center?

Do we resign Moore, Mitchell, Galiardi, or Winnik?

Is it time for a rebuild or a last ditch cup run?

Who do we trade and for what?

No.

Yes to TJ and Winnik, HELL NO to Mitchell, and possible for Moore if he isn't too expensive.

Rebuild. We're not a Cup contender anymore and no trade will make us into one.

Not sure. Need to think about it more.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
sharski

Niemi had a down year,but I'm not sold on Greiss being capable of taking this team deep into the playoffs, either

IMO both Greiss and Nemo would benefit if they gave Greiss more starts, but TMac seems to play favorites with goalies, so Nemo pretty much starts every game

Old
06-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

I don't understand the "yes" to Galiardi.

I know people want to hold on the to Ginner trade and get something good out of it, but TJ was terrible. He takes terrible penalties, isn't very strong on the puck, and seems to be hella arrogant (just look at the way he chews on his mouth piece ala Kane).

He hasn't shown much upside since Col's playoff match with us, what makes you guys think he'll do it now.

Besides, according to the Avs and the NHL, he's still a snow...ball...rolling down a mountain? http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474001

Winnik, I'd consider for the right price.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Winnik was supposedly asking for 2,5mil from the Avs.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:43 PM
magic school bus

Chewing on a mouth piece makes you arrogant?

Galiardi has to be re-signed, because we traded pieces for him for a reason. It would be idiotic to let him go because of a bad 19 games in a season when he was 24 years old.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:

Just wondering.
Niemi was an average goalie last year but he's paid like one and shouldn't have been expected to be anything more than that. He's got his issues like most goalies do but he's not solely to blame. The skaters in front of him were inconsistent and were in many instances terrible especially on the penalty kill, where he was not much better either.

Greiss is not ready to be the starter but he's earned more games next year. The issue is whether the coaching staff is capable of getting off the workhorse nonsense and play both goalies instead of using excuses to play the starter.

I would definitely do Niemi for Gunnarsson. I doubt Toronto will go that route because I think Luongo will be in play for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharski View Post
Niemi had a down year,but I'm not sold on Greiss being capable of taking this team deep into the playoffs, either

IMO both Greiss and Nemo would benefit if they gave Greiss more starts, but TMac seems to play favorites with goalies, so Nemo pretty much starts every game
I think Greiss is ready for about double what he got last season. He should be getting an absolute bare minimum of 22 starts and should be looking at around 30 to 40 games. The issue is the coaching staff using their goalies properly and to date, they have been inept. This isn't surprising when McLellan stated when Nabby was here that he didn't know anything about the position. The only remedy might be to trade Niemi to get away from the starter-backup paradigm and go with two roughly equal goalies where the coach will have to split it up more and go with who is hot more and sit who is cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
I don't understand the "yes" to Galiardi.

I know people want to hold on the to Ginner trade and get something good out of it, but TJ was terrible. He takes terrible penalties, isn't very strong on the puck, and seems to be hella arrogant (just look at the way he chews on his mouth piece ala Kane).

He hasn't shown much upside since Col's playoff match with us, what makes you guys think he'll do it now.

Besides, according to the Avs and the NHL, he's still a snow...ball...rolling down a mountain? http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474001

Winnik, I'd consider for the right price.
You say yes to Galiardi because he's restricted and will only cost about 735k to qualify and likely sign. You also have to remember that when he was in Colorado, he was not utilized very well since that playoff series. He needs time to adjust to this system and these players. An entire off-season and training camp with this group and he will do better than what he showed here. Even veterans have problems with adjusting to teams from time to time. Winnik didn't adjust very well to the PK here. Now, that's not necessarily a slight on the player as it can be the system. Plus, Galiardi's only a few months older than McGinn. McGinn was able to turn his game around and from what I've seen from Galiardi, he can too.

Closed Thread