HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Offseason Trades & FA Acquisitions Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2012, 12:31 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
I have a feeling the Islanders will trade for Tim Thomas and his caphit when he decides to take the season off. lol

Old
06-02-2012, 12:36 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I have a feeling the Islanders will trade for Tim Thomas and his caphit when he decides to take the season off. lol
too young.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Marshal Rochambeau
N.J. Hockey Club

Snow signed Blair Riley today. Given a chance to succeed and he did.

Old
06-02-2012, 01:37 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
good
http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article...ey-3603316.php

ugh
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dee-K...ckey/129/44732
Quote:
The 6’ 200 lb BC native is another Scorpio, just like -- Matt Moulson. However, I don’t think this one will ever be nominated for the Lady Byng.
PLEASE do NOT give Charles Wang any ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's a tough SOB.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:28 PM
leeroggy

Time For My Annual Roster Re-Make

Okay, this one is going in a little different direction than just my wish list of drafting Galchenyuk and Pelech in Round 2 and decided to try a little more outside the box thinking. This one will focus on how we get to the playoffs this year instead of continuing with the long-term rebuild. There are a few assumptions in here that may or may not be possible but based on some of the 'read between the lines' of hockey reporting at least gives some hope that the proposals are possible. And since my goal is to make the playoffs next year I will purposely overpay some on the trade proposals.

First, I still think our top priority is a true second line center to play behind JT. While many of you will disagree and believe that defense is our top priority I think that filling defense is easier than Top 6 offense is because you can always improve your defense through strategic approach and forwards that know how to play defense. Case point on this is how well the Rangers play team defense and make the current defense players on the Rangers look better than they really are.

So here goes:

Trade One

Offer the #4 overall, Mark Katic and Kevin Poulin to the Penquins for Jordan Staal.

It looks like Pittsburgh will try to sign him this year to an extension but is there really room for him to play his natural position? Or would they rather clear some cap space while acquiring a winger like Forsberg to play with Crosby while picking up depth in defense and a solid goaltending prospect to eventually replace Johnson as back-up to Fleury? If the answer is yes then maybe this package is attractive to them.

If this trade goes down it adds to the lineup by allowing Nielsen to go back to the slot where he belongs and makes our third line potentially the best in the league. It also helps take the pressure off JT as a leader and splits that role.

Trade Two

Offer Michael Grabner and our second and fourth round picks to Toronto for Luke Schenn.

Schenn seems to be taking the brunt of the Toronto media for not performing up to his draft pick. That's not the same as being a failed player. We know Toronto needs secondary scoring as much as we do and they can always replace Schenn with their 5th overall if they go in this direction. We also know that Toronto likes players with speed. The second round pick should yield them a good D prospect if they go forward in the 1st. Why not go after Schenn ourselves?

FA - Sign Brian Allen or Barrett Jackman (both would be great but one is sufficient for this team next year)

-----

Assume that Nino, Nelson and Kabanov play in Bridgeport this year and that either DeHaan or Donovan will compete for the 6th defense slot and that the goalies are Nabakov and Nilsson with DP as the third goalie that doesn't suit up. I also assume PA gets a better offer elsewhere and doesn't sign with us.

The lineup could look like:

Moulson - JT - Martin
Strome - Staal - ??
Okposo - Nielsen - Bailey
Ullstrom - Cizikas - ??

Schenn - Streit
A-Mac - Hamonic
DeHaan - Jackman or Allen

Nabakov - Nilsson

I'm leaving a few boxes open because there will likely be a surprise or two in training camp. If PA re-signs he probably slots in with Staal and Strome. If not then maybe someone moves up and someone like Rakhshani gets a shot. Maybe the fourth line slot gets given to a tough guy signing like Haley or Rupp, if Rupp is a UFA again. This also allows us to bring back Staios for the 7th defense slot at a cheap price.

This also leaves room for the Bridgeport players to fill slots over time as they prove worthy of call-up.

Any thoughts? And please try to be substantive about them; don't just say 'so and so will never trade _____". Try to find flaws in the talent mix or whether the trades are not enough for the teams we are trading with. Remember that I believe in over-offering on these two trades to try to make them happen.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:38 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Offer the #4 overall, Mark Katic and Kevin Poulin to the Penquins for Jordan Staal.
If fans are expecting Snow to trade the 4th overall + Poulin, for a player who is one yr from unrestricted free agency,they will be disappointed.That's not a move Snow makes.

Quote:
Offer Michael Grabner and our second and fourth round picks to Toronto for Luke Schenn.

Schenn seems to be taking the brunt of the Toronto media for not performing up to his draft pick. That's not the same as being a failed player.

It is the same as being a failed player,when the player has major skating issues and his decision making is poor,when the player is on the 3rd pairing.If Schenn were making $1m like Bailey is,his being on the 3rd pairing would be easier to overlook.He makes $3.6m per.

Quote:
FA - Sign Brian Allen or Barrett Jackman (both would be great but one is sufficient for this team next year)
I'd be thrilled if Snow could get either signed.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Marshal Rochambeau
N.J. Hockey Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the fourth line next season.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroggy View Post
Okay, this one is going in a little different direction than just my wish list of drafting Galchenyuk and Pelech in Round 2 and decided to try a little more outside the box thinking. This one will focus on how we get to the playoffs this year instead of continuing with the long-term rebuild. There are a few assumptions in here that may or may not be possible but based on some of the 'read between the lines' of hockey reporting at least gives some hope that the proposals are possible. And since my goal is to make the playoffs next year I will purposely overpay some on the trade proposals.

First, I still think our top priority is a true second line center to play behind JT. While many of you will disagree and believe that defense is our top priority I think that filling defense is easier than Top 6 offense is because you can always improve your defense through strategic approach and forwards that know how to play defense. Case point on this is how well the Rangers play team defense and make the current defense players on the Rangers look better than they really are.

So here goes:

Trade One

It looks like Pittsburgh will try to sign him this year to an extension but is there really room for him to play his natural position? Or would they rather clear some cap space while acquiring a winger like Forsberg to play with Crosby while picking up depth in defense and a solid goaltending prospect to eventually replace Johnson as back-up to Fleury? If the answer is yes then maybe this package is attractive to them.

If this trade goes down it adds to the lineup by allowing Nielsen to go back to the slot where he belongs and makes our third line potentially the best in the league. It also helps take the pressure off JT as a leader and splits that role.

Trade Two

Schenn seems to be taking the brunt of the Toronto media for not performing up to his draft pick. That's not the same as being a failed player. We know Toronto needs secondary scoring as much as we do and they can always replace Schenn with their 5th overall if they go in this direction. We also know that Toronto likes players with speed. The second round pick should yield them a good D prospect if they go forward in the 1st. Why not go after Schenn ourselves?

-----

Assume that Nino, Nelson and Kabanov play in Bridgeport this year and that either DeHaan or Donovan will compete for the 6th defense slot and that the goalies are Nabakov and Nilsson with DP as the third goalie that doesn't suit up. I also assume PA gets a better offer elsewhere and doesn't sign with us.

Moulson - JT - Martin
Strome - Staal - ??
Ullstrom - Cizikas - ??

Schenn - Streit
A-Mac - Hamonic

Nabakov - Nilsson

I'm leaving a few boxes open because there will likely be a surprise or two in training camp. If PA re-signs he probably slots in with Staal and Strome. If not then maybe someone moves up and someone like Rakhshani gets a shot. Maybe the fourth line slot gets given to a tough guy signing like Haley or Rupp, if Rupp is a UFA again. This also allows us to bring back Staios for the 7th defense slot at a cheap price.

This also leaves room for the Bridgeport players to fill slots over time as they prove worthy of call-up.

Any thoughts? And please try to be substantive about them; don't just say 'so and so will never trade _____". Try to find flaws in the talent mix or whether the trades are not enough for the teams we are trading with. Remember that I believe in over-offering on these two trades to try to make them happen.
Grabner going for Schenn is a bad idea. Losing Poulin when no one knows who is better of KP and AN is a worse idea. (an example not meant to be exactly on par: Cheevers won over Sawchuk when Boston traded the best goalie of all time to Montreal)

How about we stick to the rebuild and make trades we KNOW will help us and we KNOW will not hurt us long term?

Not making the trades gives us two VERY promising starters and a known scoring threat with speed who can PK and play well.

And we get to draft a solid prospect to boot.

Old
06-02-2012, 03:34 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the fourth line next season.
Nah, we need a Libra, to add balance.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:20 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
For the Schenn haters, lovers, and antipathetic:

Let's assume we could get Schenn for a reasonable price (whatever that happens to be in your mind). Would you want him?

IMO, they rushed him like another team rushed a guy with a name similar to Bosh Jailey. It doesn't mean he will suck forever, and he is a defenseman which has proven time and again to be a longer development curve.

Could we undo the damage already done? Would it be worth the shot? I think it would, and we could EASILY absorb the cap hit as a necessary evil. I bet we could use it as leverage to get a good deal actually. The kid does have some good tools in terms of size and defensive awareness, despite what he has shown in Toronto. I contend that even good players with stupid expectations placed on their heads can crack in that media fishbowl. Could the Isles fix his development path though? That would worry me, Nino & Bailey coming to mind.

Would you want him though?

Old
06-02-2012, 10:27 PM
JKP

Quote:
Trade One

If you could negotiate a deal with him for an extension before the trade, then I'd do this in a heartbeat. Staal would be a fantastic #2C on this team, Nielson makes a great 3C, Cizikas is our 4C. Solid up the middle for years. I like it.

Not sure Poulin has that much appeal to Pittsburgh. And I expect the price to be higher than the 4 pick and a middling D prospect and a goalie prospect.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:07 PM
LeapOnOver

Quote:

So here goes:

Trade One

Trade Two

-----

Moulson - JT - Martin
Strome - Staal - ??
Ullstrom - Cizikas - ??

Schenn - Streit
A-Mac - Hamonic

Nabakov - Nilsson

I like where you are headed and don't mind going for a true second line center and glossing over a defense woes once again this upcoming year, BUT I think that the trade for Staal is an underpayment. Katic is of no interest to anyone right now. Yes he may be a solid Dman in the future but it's truly up for debate and I think he is just a fluff filler that the Pens will not be interested in. I think they will definitely want the 4th pick, but I don't think they care much about Poulin either. To get Staal we are looking at the 4th pick and a highly coveted prospect.

Then your second trade really is an overpayment, a huge one at that. We are talking about a 1st, 2nd, and 4th pick for Schenn? That is a HUGE overpayment. I am not willing to give up a player that has averaged 27 goals in his first two seasons. So many people undervalue Grabner now but if you take his first two seasons into consideration, not just his 2nd, you are looking at a player who is still very valuable. Finally, pencil in your question marks here and I don't think we are playoff team. We've traded our 1st and 2nd pick in this years draft and I still don't think we challenge for a playoff spot. Plus you are penciling in a rookie that may or may not be ready for NHL play this year so that spot should really be a question mark as well. Not looking good IMO

Old
06-02-2012, 11:07 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
For the Schenn haters, lovers, and antipathetic:

Let's assume we could get Schenn for a reasonable price (whatever that happens to be in your mind). Would you want him?

IMO, they rushed him like another team rushed a guy with a name similar to Bosh Jailey. It doesn't mean he will suck forever, and he is a defenseman which has proven time and again to be a longer development curve.

Could we undo the damage already done? Would it be worth the shot? I think it would, and we could EASILY absorb the cap hit as a necessary evil. I bet we could use it as leverage to get a good deal actually. The kid does have some good tools in terms of size and defensive awareness, despite what he has shown in Toronto. I contend that even good players with stupid expectations placed on their heads can crack in that media fishbowl. Could the Isles fix his development path though? That would worry me, Nino & Bailey coming to mind.

Would you want him though?
At $3.6m per? No.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I've got to say it as I've seen it: Luke Schenn really isn't anything more than average and he's had some real struggles.

At the moment, the kid is a #5/6 Dman and he's shown little indication that he'll be anything more than that.

Just the way it is.

Old
06-03-2012, 08:09 PM
islandermaniac

i don't feel like arguing with canucks fans for hours on the main trade board, so i'll post over here that i think keith ballard stinks and the isles should not touch this guy for the 3rd rounder being proposed over there. this is a guy who gets 15 minutes a night and plays against the weakest possible competition yet is still on the ice for more shots against than for. all of that for the basement price of $4.2M for the next three years? bahahahahahahaha! where does snow sign?

Old
06-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I've got to say it as I've seen it: Luke Schenn really isn't anything more than average and he's had some real struggles.

At the moment, the kid is a #5/6 Dman and he's shown little indication that he'll be anything more than that.

Just the way it is.
Agreed. I've always compared him to Luke Richardson.

He's similar to Ryan Parent in that they were expected to replicate their WJC success in the pros, but players like them rarely do. Mark Stuart is another that comes to mind.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:47 AM
rikker
fan since '75.

being from the Toronto area, i can tell you that not many Leafs want Schenn. it seems like he is getting slower...

how about Gilroy? could he be the guy that Snow is targeting for defence? UFA reclamation. not that i think that he is a top 4, but i can see him being motivated when we play against the Rags.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i don't feel like arguing with canucks fans for hours on the main trade board, so i'll post over here that i think keith ballard stinks and the isles should not touch this guy for the 3rd rounder being proposed over there. this is a guy who gets 15 minutes a night and plays against the weakest possible competition yet is still on the ice for more shots against than for. all of that for the basement price of $4.2M for the next three years? bahahahahahahaha! where does snow sign?
Can't see Snow being given the green light to go near that contract.

Last edited by Chapin Landvogt: 06-05-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old
06-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk
Agreed. I've always compared him to Luke Richardson.
I think that's a good comparison. Useful to a degree, but a bottom pairing guy who is not part of the team's motor. In other words, less than Burke was hoping.

Wonder if he gets upset seeing what Myers, Del Zotto and especially Karlsson have been doing?

Ahhh, that's hindsight... Schenn went at an expected spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
being from the Toronto area, i can tell you that not many Leafs want Schenn. it seems like he is getting slower...

how about Gilroy? could he be the guy that Snow is targeting for defence? UFA reclamation. not that i think that he is a top 4, but i can see him being motivated when we play against the Rags.
I think many here will say that Gilroy sounds like the type of player Snow would target.

Fact is, no less than Staios, Eaton and Jurcina are UFAs. We hear they'll keep Staios around, but that Jurcina is a goner.

No word on Eaton, but even if they did resign these guys, the team would be making no improvement. It needs to upgrade, but it would be fairly reasonable to assume that Gilroy could be brought in as one of the bottom pairing guys.

If Snow does things even somewhat properly this summer, he'll bring in two experienced Dmen who can eat up top 4/5 minutes more than efficiently (preferably guys with muscle who still make a good first pass), resign Reese and Staios, and then grab a guy like Gilroy for further depth. I.e. he should have five NHL-experienced and capable Dmen in addition to Streit, Hamonic and MacDonald.

We fear however that he's ready to simply throw some of the AHL boys to the wolves instead.

Old
06-04-2012, 01:46 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
We fear however that he's ready to simply throw some of the AHL boys to the wolves instead.
Is that really a fear, or your gut instinct? I am pegging the odds high that we bring in a minimum of one real scrub.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
empire7

What do you guys think about trading back in the draft if Ryan Murray isnt there? Maybe flip flop picks with Winnipeg and get the rights to RFA Evander Kane. Apparently he asked for a trade for Winnipeg last year so its clear he might not want to even re-sign. From the Isles prospective, we get a 30 goal scorer whos only 20. With the 9th pick, we can even get our hands on Griffin Reinhart who is one of the most "NHL Ready" defensemen in the draft. Also very mobile for a 6'4 200lb d-man and also possesses a great shot from the point.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire7 View Post
What do you guys think about trading back in the draft if Ryan Murray isnt there? Maybe flip flop picks with Winnipeg and get the rights to RFA Evander Kane. Apparently he asked for a trade for Winnipeg last year so its clear he might not want to even re-sign. From the Isles prospective, we get a 30 goal scorer whos only 20. With the 9th pick, we can even get our hands on Griffin Reinhart who is one of the most "NHL Ready" defensemen in the draft. Also very mobile for a 6'4 200lb d-man and also possesses a great shot from the point.
There's no chance in hell the Jets would trade Kane just to move up a few spots.

I don't think they would even trade him for the 4th straight up.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:11 PM
empire7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Height View Post
There's no chance in hell the Jets would trade Kane just to move up a few spots.

I don't think they would even trade him for the 4th straight up.
Yeah, you're right. Maybe if he was older. What do you think we'd have to give up?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire7 View Post
Yeah, you're right. Maybe if he was older. What do you think we'd have to give up?
Hamonic.

20/21 yr old Kane is one of their key building blocks.

They have no reason to move him for a lottery pick,who may not even develop as well as Kane.

They'll want top young talent back,that can contribute now.Next to Tavares,Hamonic is the isles best young talent.

Closed Thread