HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Part V | Marlies vs Admirals | Marlies done.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2012, 04:08 PM
  #301
jughead42
Registered User
 
jughead42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
Not a lot of teams can survive with their top line out.
Oh I agree that the Loss of Frattin, Kadri and Zig is significant, there's no doubt about it. I just take issue with any sort of claim that Norfolk isn't the best team if they eventually end up winning the cup, just because the Leafs players are injured. Nobody is pretending that Vancouver was better than Boston last year even though they had Hamhuis out in the finals, the trophy goes to the best. Injuries are just one obstacle on the path to a championship and the best team is the one who overcomes all those obstacles. I'm sure Norfolk is banged up but their guys are either playing through it or they are getting contributions from the replacements. We need to do the same to have a chance to be called the best.

jughead42 is offline  
Old
06-03-2012, 04:13 PM
  #302
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Oh I agree that the Loss of Frattin, Kadri and Zig is significant, there's no doubt about it. I just take issue with any sort of claim that Norfolk isn't the best team if they eventually end up winning the cup, just because the Leafs players are injured. Nobody is pretending that Vancouver was better than Boston last year even though they had Hamhuis out in the finals, the trophy goes to the best. Injuries are just one obstacle on the path to a championship and the best team is the one who overcomes all those obstacles. I'm sure Norfolk is banged up but their guys are either playing through it or they are getting contributions from the replacements. We need to do the same to have a chance to be called the best.
Norfork concluded the regular season with 28 consecutive wins down the stretch at one point..
Quote:
Remarkably, Norfolk (55-18-1-2) concluded the regular season with a North American professional hockey record 28-game winning streak. The Admirals haven't lost since Feb. 5.
This is no fluke operation here, but a really strong team.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline  
Old
06-03-2012, 04:15 PM
  #303
Mansfield
possession obsession
 
Mansfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,817
vCash: 500
yeah i thought joe had a decent two games all told

Mansfield is online now  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:25 AM
  #304
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,000
vCash: 166
Just putting this out there:

Colton Orr and Jay Rosehill are the Bash Bros

And Jerry D'Amigo is Ken Wu.

DirtyDion03 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:36 AM
  #305
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,505
vCash: 500
I'm starting to hate rosie more now lol. that guy is seriously a bonehead, needs to stop being an idiot on the ice.

__________________
Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:38 AM
  #306
Duke Silver
Truce?
 
Duke Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,807
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I'm starting to hate rosie more now lol. that guy is seriously a bonehead, needs to stop being an idiot on the ice.
He would be just as effective if he played without a stick, which is to say: as ineffective as always. I don't think I've ever seen a player take more idiotic penalties in the run of a season.


Last edited by Duke Silver: 06-04-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Duke Silver is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:07 AM
  #307
SprDaVE
Registered User
 
SprDaVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,764
vCash: 500
It looks like Ross is joining the Marlies, or at least is in Toronto. I'm not sure if it means he might slot into game action though.

Quote:
Brad Ross ‏@bross1818

In Toronto for the next 2 weeks to train.... #know1personhere #needfriends #hangoutwithme

SprDaVE is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:39 AM
  #308
The Blue Devil
Registered User
 
The Blue Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
Hmmmmm...my buddy hates the Leafs...big Bruins fan. He didn't understand all the Leafs fans hoopla about Colborne. Told me at the time of the trade that Colborne was a bust. Just another big soft player that was over-rated. JUst used it as a glaring example of how Leaf fans over-hype every player they acquire...whether it be through FA, draft or trade. Really need to to temper our expectations I think and give a little credit to other GMs for at least having a clue. This idea that Burke is "fleecing" everybody while the team continues to suck is somewhat of a joke. Surely if he is fleecing teams that implies he is getting back much better than he is giving which should be reflected in team success. Still waiting.
So you're 1 friend said this? I din't realize that he represented a whole fanbase. This is just another one of your childish outbursts with no merit, give it a rest.

The Blue Devil is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 07:30 AM
  #309
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,492
vCash: 500
Realistically, Marlies were always underdog even when healthy?

Norfolk 113 points to Toronto 96 points

Tampa also has 5-6 picks in the first 2 rounds this year.(2 in 1st., 3 or 4 in 2nd.)

Apparently some believe success in the minors will be reflected in the majors.

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 09:23 AM
  #310
bassassin
Registered User
 
bassassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: England
Country: England
Posts: 5,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Realistically, Marlies were always underdog even when healthy?

Norfolk 113 points to Toronto 96 points

Tampa also has 5-6 picks in the first 2 rounds this year.(2 in 1st., 3 or 4 in 2nd.)

Apparently some believe success in the minors will be reflected in the majors.
People don't seem to get how good Norfolk has been, in the past 44 games they have lost just 3. Now Toronto needs to win 4 of the next 5 to win. It was always against them.

bassassin is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 09:53 AM
  #311
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
People don't seem to get how good Norfolk has been, in the past 44 games they have lost just 3. Now Toronto needs to win 4 of the next 5 to win. It was always against them.
it would be nice if they could at least look like finalists. a lead in a game would be nice. maybe even a PP goal. what about if Scrivens doesn't **** the bed for once.

they can't be that good, but maybe they are.

i still think Dallas needs to go back to the drawing board.

ForSpareParts* is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 10:02 AM
  #312
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling
 
Morguee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
it would be nice if they could at least look like finalists. a lead in a game would be nice. maybe even a PP goal. what about if Scrivens doesn't **** the bed for once.they can't be that good, but maybe they are.

i still think Dallas needs to go back to the drawing board.
Ahhh what? I can only assume you mean make the bed as Scrivens has been doing his part to keep them in the games.

Morguee is online now  
Old
06-04-2012, 10:04 AM
  #313
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
Ahhh what? I can only assume you mean make the bed as Scrivens has been doing his part to keep them in the games.
Just another cry for attention, no one with a clue about the Marlies would actually write that.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
  #314
Liminality
Registered User
 
Liminality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
it would be nice if they could at least look like finalists. a lead in a game would be nice. maybe even a PP goal. what about if Scrivens doesn't **** the bed for once.

they can't be that good, but maybe they are.

i still think Dallas needs to go back to the drawing board.
Having your first line injured and facing the #1 team in the AHL is quite the task for the Marlies. Scrivens has been the person that everyone has been relying on to keep them in this. He's done more than you can ask for in a goaltender, the puck is always in their zone because of the amount of pressure Norfolk put on the Marlies. I think the Marlies defence is showing how much slower they really are in these situations or maybe this is showing how fast the Norfolk players are in comparison.

Seriously people are complaining about a team that has made it to the calder cup finals, we should be happy for them. I just wish all these injuries didn't happen right before this series.

Liminality is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 10:12 AM
  #315
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser
 
Marco Esquandolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,585
vCash: 1170
Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter
Nazem Kadri on the ice this morning for the first time in a while. #Marlies
Retweeted by James Mirtle

Marco Esquandolas is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 10:38 AM
  #316
northstarnicky
Registered User
 
northstarnicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
It looks like Ross is joining the Marlies, or at least is in Toronto. I'm not sure if it means he might slot into game action though.
Why play Brad Ross. He will never be the offensive player like Orr or Rosehill. He is just another plug

northstarnicky is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
  #317
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome
 
LeafsMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter
Nazem Kadri on the ice this morning for the first time in a while. #Marlies
Retweeted by James Mirtle

LeafsMonster is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
  #318
Lebanese Leaf
Registered User
 
Lebanese Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 6,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Realistically, Marlies were always underdog even when healthy?

Norfolk 113 points to Toronto 96 points

Tampa also has 5-6 picks in the first 2 rounds this year.(2 in 1st., 3 or 4 in 2nd.)

Apparently some believe success in the minors will be reflected in the majors.
The difference between the Admirals and Marlies is the age and status of the key contributers. Norfolk's best players (guys like Picard and Smith) are career AHLers. The Marlies are loaded with prospects, their best players and best peformers have been prospects (Kadri, Frattin, Holzer, D'amigo, Deschamps). Outside of maybe Cory Conacher, Tampa's doesn't have any prospects who have contributed largely to the Admirals' success (and maybe Aulie to some extent).

So in the case of Toronto, the AHL success should translate to NHL success, while I just don't see it for Norfolk/Tampa.

Lebanese Leaf is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:34 PM
  #319
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter
Nazem Kadri on the ice this morning for the first time in a while. #Marlies
Retweeted by James Mirtle
HELL YES! Come on Kadri come back as soon as possible man!

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:44 PM
  #320
newham89
Registered User
 
newham89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nottingham, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
The difference between the Admirals and Marlies is the age and status of the key contributers. Norfolk's best players (guys like Picard and Smith) are career AHLers. The Marlies are loaded with prospects, their best players and best peformers have been prospects (Kadri, Frattin, Holzer, D'amigo, Deschamps). Outside of maybe Cory Conacher, Tampa's doesn't have any prospects who have contributed largely to the Admirals' success (and maybe Aulie to some extent).

So in the case of Toronto, the AHL success should translate to NHL success, while I just don't see it for Norfolk/Tampa.
Okay??? Tokarski, Janus, Barbeiro, Gudas, Killorn, Johnson, Panik, Palat, Conacher, Aulie and to a lesser extent Oberg are all legitimate prospects.

The bolded ones have been huge throughout the season and play-offs. Part of what's amazing about the Admiral's story this year is how thrown together this team is. Nobody knew what sort of team they would have this season.

newham89 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
  #321
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Okay??? Tokarski, Janus, Barbeiro, Gudas, Killorn, Johnson, Panik, Palat, Conacher, Aulie and to a lesser extent Oberg are all legitimate prospects.

The bolded ones have been huge throughout the season and play-offs. Part of what's amazing about the Admiral's story this year is how thrown together this team is. Nobody knew what sort of team they would have this season.
Conacher isn't a Lightning prospect.

mooseOAK* is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:55 PM
  #322
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die
 
Leaf Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: India
Posts: 70,505
vCash: 500
im very interested if ross is joining in the team.

Leaf Rocket is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:56 PM
  #323
hockeyfanz
Registered User
 
hockeyfanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Conacher isn't a Lightning prospect.
Why not?

hockeyfanz is online now  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
  #324
newham89
Registered User
 
newham89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nottingham, UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Conacher isn't a Lightning prospect.
Conacher is a Lightning prospect. He was signed in March

newham89 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:59 PM
  #325
A.J.
Registered User
 
A.J. 's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vaughan, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Okay??? Tokarski, Janus, Barbeiro, Gudas, Killorn, Johnson, Panik, Palat, Conacher, Aulie and to a lesser extent Oberg are all legitimate prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Conacher isn't a Lightning prospect.
He is, the Lightning signed him around the trade deadline if I remember correctly.

I just googled it, and saw this link.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1123803

A.J.  is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.