HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2012 CBJ Offseason Part II (Proposals? Speculation? Blog Rumors? Right here.)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-04-2012, 01:16 PM
  #1
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
2012 CBJ Offseason Part II (Proposals? Speculation? Blog Rumors? Right here.)

The goalie market suddenly sucks now.

Discuss!

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:22 PM
  #2
650X2
Registered User
 
650X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
3rd round on just draft goal tenders, wait 4 years, profit.

650X2 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:29 PM
  #3
Kev22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Plain City, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,307
vCash: 500
I posted my opinion on Luongo in the Goalie Dilemma thread, but I have a feeling that if amnesty buyouts are in this new CBA, the Jackets will go after Luongo. I would have two stipulations the Canucks would have to agree to before any deal. One, they'd have to grant permission to speak with Luongo (if permitted in the CBA) to see if he would be receptive to being the #1 goalie here and not end up like Carter 2.0. Second, if the Canucks are just simply looking to cut ties and gain cap space, the offer would have to be the Kings 1st round pick this year (looking like #30) and a minor prospect. The Jackets are taking all the risk in this deal so it would be the only way a deal like this could happen in my mind, unless it's part of a Nash mega deal.

Kev22 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:30 PM
  #4
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
I think Howson may sign Brodeur...

Actually, it's looking like Mason will be the backup now, as for the starter the list of free agents is slim so a trade is likely..

Robert is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:35 PM
  #5
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Whoever is the starter will have a serious year ending injury in the first week of the season and viola !! Mason will be the starter again.

All things are as they were in the times of those home we have buried.

EDM is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
  #6
Xoggz22
Registered User
 
Xoggz22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 4,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I posted my opinion on Luongo in the Goalie Dilemma thread, but I have a feeling that if amnesty buyouts are in this new CBA, the Jackets will go after Luongo. I would have two stipulations the Canucks would have to agree to before any deal. One, they'd have to grant permission to speak with Luongo (if permitted in the CBA) to see if he would be receptive to being the #1 goalie here and not end up like Carter 2.0. Second, if the Canucks are just simply looking to cut ties and gain cap space, the offer would have to be the Kings 1st round pick this year (looking like #30) and a minor prospect. The Jackets are taking all the risk in this deal so it would be the only way a deal like this could happen in my mind, unless it's part of a Nash mega deal.
You would have your answer if Luongo waives his NTC. If he's unwilling to waive, Columbus wouldn't push it anyway. I would think Gillis would approach Luongo about moving to C-bus and, poof, you would have your answer.

Xoggz22 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
  #7
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,522
vCash: 500
Longest. Offseason. Ever.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
  #8
crazy jacket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
About the best free agent is Harding, who is good but he seems injury prone

crazy jacket is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:44 PM
  #9
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
You would have your answer if Luongo waives his NTC. If he's unwilling to waive, Columbus wouldn't push it anyway. I would think Gillis would approach Luongo about moving to C-bus and, poof, you would have your answer.
Yep, I've not really considered Luongo with any seriousness until now... Who knows, he may decide the crowd in Columbus will embrace him as a conquering hero and he leads the Jackets to an unexpected playoff run.. I have to admit the CBJ do have some solid pieces on the roster both on defense and youth that could surprise with a decent goaltender and a blockbuster trading summer..

Robert is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
  #10
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy jacket View Post
About the best free agent is Harding, who is good but he seems injury prone
I remember we let go of Garon because he and Mason were rightys. Wouldn't this come into affect with Harding?

CBJBrassard16 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:24 PM
  #11
FreeBoomer61
Registered User
 
FreeBoomer61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
i know many of you - personally me too - believe that a nash trade should not have a goalie as the centerpiece in whatever the jackets get back for him. since the market for a solid goalie is slim, what would you guys think if the howson went after luongo? i know his contract is bad, but the CBJ desperately need a goalie in the near future that can perform well.

would you guys be happy if this would happen?

to BOS: Nash, Goloubef, 3rd
to CBJ: Krejci, Hamilton, 2012 1st

Boston gets Nash and a prospect, and CBJ gets scoring to replace Nash, a later pick, and a solid prospect.

OR

to SJ: Nash, 3rd
to CBJ: Pavelski, D. Murray, Greiss

CBJ gets scoring to replace nash, good Dman, and an ok backup

---------
then:

to Van: Umberger, Savard/Methot (cap reasons), Mason
to CBJ: Luoungo, Booth

CBJ finally get a great #1 goalie, scoring to replace umby. Van gets decent Dman back, consistent scoring from umby, and a backup for schneider

---------
then:

to Phi: Savard/Methot (whichever one isnt traded to Van), 2nd
to CBJ: JVR

Phi gets either a good prospect back or a solid 5-6 Dman and a pick, and the jackets get scoring back (tho inconsistent)

flame away!

FreeBoomer61 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:29 PM
  #12
cslebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post

to Van: Umberger, Savard/Methot (cap reasons), Mason
to CBJ: Luoungo, Booth
I like Umberger, but if we could swing this trade alone and by itself, I think I might be pretty happy. It still doesn't get us a 1C (and I'd like Krejci), but it improves our goaltending while still keeping us big on wing. Only problemis Booth is a left wing....

cslebn is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:31 PM
  #13
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
My gut still says Luongo is a risk this franchise can't afford to take. If he stinks it up this coming year and the next we won't be able to get rid of him. His trade value will be zero, we won't have the financial ability to just bury him in the minors and buying out his contract probably won't be an option either.

You think Mason's contract is bad, imagine if Luongo bombs here. Yikes.

FANonymous is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:35 PM
  #14
chunkbox
Registered User
 
chunkbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Findlay , Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
what do you guys think it would take to get Loungo ? ( if he were warm to playing here and accepted whatever trade was proposed )

you gotta think Van wants him gone ...

but at the same time you can see Van seeing goalie as our obvious need

what makes sense for the deal ?

( side note )

i feel we should draft highest rated goalie with our second or third pick in this draft

i want Dansk the most , but Subban or Vasilevski

chunkbox is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:36 PM
  #15
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,768
vCash: 500
I'd consider the Boston-Vancouver-Philly path.

It provides a center,scoring, a potentially great defenseman, a good young player with lots of potential and a draft pick. Oh, and a number one goalie who may not be all that he was once cracked up to be, but is a hell of a lot better than what the jackets currently have. My only concern here would be Luongo's length of contract but with the goalie market looking bleaker with the sudden departures of Thomas and Vokoun it might have to do. Especially considering all the pieces as a whole.


Last edited by EspenK: 06-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.
EspenK is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:38 PM
  #16
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
then:

to Van: Umberger, Savard/Methot (cap reasons), Mason
to CBJ: Luoungo, Booth
Every time I see a proposal that brings Kesler to CBJ, someone chimes in that RJU and Kesler hate each other.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:38 PM
  #17
alphafox
Registered User
 
alphafox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
What would everyone think of trading La's first and Ottawa's second for Lu? I was looking at someone's post where the broke down the final Jeff Carter trade results and I thought that maybe that since LA doesn't seem likely to explode that Using that late pick for Lu might be better than whatever we use if for. I know that may be a bit of overpayment but I think it might work out well. (Lu had his best years when he faced alot of work and was in a low pressure enviroment). So it would look like

To CBJ:
Luongo

To Van:
LA's 1st round pick
Ottawa's 2013 2nd round pick

Final Jeff Carter Trade for us:

Out:
8th overall 2012
3rd rounder 2012
Voracek
LA 1st
Ottawa's 2nd

In:
JMFJ
Luongo

alphafox is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:39 PM
  #18
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Every time I see a proposal that brings Kesler to CBJ, someone chimes in that RJU and Kesler hate each other.
So even though this proposal didn't offer that up, RJU and Kessler hate each other.

EspenK is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
  #19
cslebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 383
vCash: 500
it put them both in Van.

Hopefully they would tear that lockeroom apart

cslebn is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:47 PM
  #20
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
it put them both in Van.

Hopefully they would tear that lockeroom apart
DOH! I was only thinking of Kessler coming here.

EspenK is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 02:50 PM
  #21
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So even though this proposal didn't offer that up, RJU and Kessler hate each other.
Vancouver is a land of happiness and bliss, where everyone loves one another. As witnessed by last year's Cup finals aftermath...

Double-Shift Lassť is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 03:11 PM
  #22
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,652
vCash: 500
I was convinced before the Thomas fiasco that Rask would be coming to Columbus as part of a trade for Nash.

Now, it is wide open. I think Iginla and his future in Calgary dictates Nash and his future as well. Boston is interested in both, but makes sense for them to go after Iginla first.

Coach Parker is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
  #23
FreeBoomer61
Registered User
 
FreeBoomer61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBoomer61 View Post
i know many of you - personally me too - believe that a nash trade should not have a goalie as the centerpiece in whatever the jackets get back for him. since the market for a solid goalie is slim, what would you guys think if the howson went after luongo? i know his contract is bad, but the CBJ desperately need a goalie in the near future that can perform well.

would you guys be happy if this would happen?

to BOS: Nash, Goloubef, 3rd
to CBJ: Krejci, Hamilton, 2012 1st

Boston gets Nash and a prospect, and CBJ gets scoring to replace Nash, a later pick, and a solid prospect.

OR

to SJ: Nash, 3rd
to CBJ: Pavelski, D. Murray, Greiss

CBJ gets scoring to replace nash, good Dman, and an ok backup

---------
then:

to Van: Umberger, Savard/Methot (cap reasons), Mason
to CBJ: Luoungo, Booth

CBJ finally get a great #1 goalie, scoring to replace umby. Van gets decent Dman back, consistent scoring from umby, and a backup for schneider

---------
then:

to Phi: Savard/Methot (whichever one isnt traded to Van), 2nd
to CBJ: JVR

Phi gets either a good prospect back or a solid 5-6 Dman and a pick, and the jackets get scoring back (tho inconsistent)

flame away!
here is what the lineup would look like with the nash trade to BOS and a few UFA signings...

FORWARDS
David Booth ($4.250m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Cam Atkinson ($0.875m)
Vinny Prospal ($2.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m)
Derek Dorsett ($1.633m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m) / Brad Boyes ($4.500m)
Colton Gillies ($0.625m) / Derek MacKenzie ($1.000m) / Ryan Russell ($0.700m)
Ryan Johansen ($1.945m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nikita Nikitin ($1.660m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
James Wisniewski ($5.500m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Hal Gill ($2.250m)
Dougie Hamilton ($1.494m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.542m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,154,642; BONUSES: $1,450,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $10,145,358

and to SJ....
FORWARDS
David Booth ($4.250m) / Joe Pavelski ($4.000m) / Cam Atkinson ($0.875m)
Vinny Prospal ($2.500m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m)
Derek Dorsett ($1.633m) / Mark Letestu ($0.625m) / Brad Boyes ($4.500m)
Colton Gillies ($0.625m) / Derek MacKenzie ($1.000m) / Ryan Russell ($0.700m)
Ryan Johansen ($1.945m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Nikita Nikitin ($1.660m) / Fedor Tyutin ($4.500m)
James Wisniewski ($5.500m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)
Douglas Murray ($2.500m) / Hal Gill ($2.250m)
John Moore ($0.965m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.625m)
BUYOUTS
Mike Commodore ($1.542m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,585,476; BONUSES: $1,237,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $8,714,524

FreeBoomer61 is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
  #24
crazy jacket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I remember we let go of Garon because he and Mason were rightys. Wouldn't this come into affect with Harding?
Harding is a righty so yes it would. I had forgotten that's why Garon was moved, but my point is all that's out there on FA is Harding and I'm sure he would be better than Mason

crazy jacket is offline  
Old
06-04-2012, 06:13 PM
  #25
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
What would everyone think of trading La's first and Ottawa's second for Lu? I was looking at someone's post where the broke down the final Jeff Carter trade results and I thought that maybe that since LA doesn't seem likely to explode that Using that late pick for Lu might be better than whatever we use if for. I know that may be a bit of overpayment but I think it might work out well. (Lu had his best years when he faced alot of work and was in a low pressure enviroment). So it would look like

To CBJ:
Luongo

To Van:
LA's 1st round pick
Ottawa's 2013 2nd round pick

Final Jeff Carter Trade for us:

Out:
8th overall 2012
3rd rounder 2012
Voracek
LA 1st
Ottawa's 2nd

In:
JMFJ
Luongo
I'd go with the Ottawa 2nd-rounder and nothing more. Vancouver gets rid of the contract, alleviates their goalie headache, and acquires a good pick to still be able to snag one of Subban/Dansk/Vasilievski/Makarov with.

No, it's not close to fair value, but it'll probably be the best one they get. Unless Brian Burke gets involved.

Mayor Bee is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.