Tim Thomas may take the year off? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Squirrell71
Offensive

vCash: 500
By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff

Bill Zito, who represents Tim Thomas, emphatically confirmed the 38-year-old Bruins goalie is not seeking a trade or contract extension.
“It didn’t have anything to do with a contract or trade,” said Zito, Thomas's agent of 15 years. “It did not.”

Zito declined to discuss any other specifics of Thomas’s decision not to play next season. On Sunday, Thomas confirmed that he will not play in 2012-13 via a posting on his Facebook page. Thomas has one season remaining on his four-year, $20 million contract. Thomas’s no-movement clause expires on July 1.

The chatter around the league is that Thomas does not want to play for the Bruins next season, thus prompting his decision. The Bruins, who would be responsible for his cap hit next year, would be eager to rid themselves of Thomas’s $5 million number.

Zito’s declarative statement reinforces Thomas’s plan to sit out next year. With Thomas standing firm to his commitment, it’s unlikely the Bruins could find a taker, via trade or waivers, for the remaining year of his contract.

@GlobeFluto

Old
06-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrell71 View Post
By Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff

Bill Zito, who represents Tim Thomas, emphatically confirmed the 38-year-old Bruins goalie is not seeking a trade or contract extension.
ďIt didnít have anything to do with a contract or trade,Ē said Zito, Thomas's agent of 15 years. ďIt did not.Ē

Zito declined to discuss any other specifics of Thomasís decision not to play next season. On Sunday, Thomas confirmed that he will not play in 2012-13 via a posting on his Facebook page. Thomas has one season remaining on his four-year, $20 million contract. Thomasís no-movement clause expires on July 1.

The chatter around the league is that Thomas does not want to play for the Bruins next season, thus prompting his decision. The Bruins, who would be responsible for his cap hit next year, would be eager to rid themselves of Thomasís $5 million number.

Zitoís declarative statement reinforces Thomasís plan to sit out next year. With Thomas standing firm to his commitment, itís unlikely the Bruins could find a taker, via trade or waivers, for the remaining year of his contract.

@GlobeFluto
So why not demand a trade, it's not like the Bruins aren't looking to move him..

Old
06-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Scotto74

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
So did anyone read this article? Did he unfriend teammates, or just unfriend the Bruins' official page? Two different things which are not made clear in this "article".
just took a look at his facebook page (not his fan page that you like or unlike) he is still frinds with Boston Bruins, Boston Bruins Nation, Bruins Hockey, Krejci, Boychuk, Savard, Ryder, Lucic, Horton, Seguin.....then I gave up looking.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Old
06-04-2012, 03:07 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
So why not demand a trade, it's not like the Bruins aren't looking to move him..
Because maybe all the insiders and experts are just plain wrong and what his agent is saying is true; that he doesn't want to play hockey this year. Not for the Bruins, not for anyone. Maybe he really just wants to spend time with family.

I know some are convinced we're going to see a trade to a team like SJ or something and he's going to play this year but I just don't see it happening. Not with his agents statements and his own.. but boy, if that does happen, he's going to get mauled.. even more so than he is now. At that point I really won't blame people.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:08 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
just took a look at his facebook page (not his fan page that you like or unlike) he is still frinds with Boston Bruins, Boston Bruins Nation, Bruins Hockey, Krejci, Boychuk, Savard, Ryder, Lucic, Horton, Seguin.....then I gave up looking.
Sure it was his real page and not a fake account?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Sure it was his real page and not a fake account?
pretty sure considering you can't friend him or any of the Bruins that he is friends with. Why would they lock that option out on a fake page and how can they do it for everyone else.

Lucic actually has two pages one anyone can friend and one that you can't.

But I really have no idea.

edit: just found another thomas page that you can't see his frinds so I really am clueless which is his real page.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Squirrell71
Offensive

Quote:
Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess its because he doesn't want to play this year and wants to spend some time with his family. In the same Fluto article thy say they're not looking for a trade. They're simply saying that Thomas DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY this year.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:13 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:
pretty sure considering you can't friend him or any of the Bruins that he is friends with. Why would they lock that option out on a fake page and how can they do it for everyone else.

Lucic actually has two pages one anyone can friend and one that you can't.

But I really have no idea.

edit: just found another thomas page that you can't see his frinds so I really am clueless which is his real page.
Makes it so much more annoying when people think they are funny by creating fake facebook or twitter accounts.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
Makes it so much more annoying when people think they are funny by creating fake facebook or twitter accounts.
I agree I just looked up Lucic and there are at least 3 pages for him.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Wait, what? His agent just said he is NOT seeking a trade or an extension.

And if what scotia says is true, then the misdirection and reticence by Thomas makes perfect sense. Who wants to empty their soul to the media?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess its because he doesn't want to play this year and wants to spend some time with his family. In the same Fluto article thy say they're not looking for a trade. They're simply saying that Thomas DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY this year.
Maybe it's the wording, it kinda contradicts itself. Either that or my reading comprehension needs work. It makes it sound like he doesn't want to play for the Bruins as opossed to not wanting to play at all.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Part 4 coming soon.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Maybe it's the wording, it kinda contradicts itself. Either that or my reading comprehension needs work. It makes it sound like he doesn't want to play for the Bruins as opossed to not wanting to play at all.
Um, yeah, I think your reading comprehension failed you.

Unless you consider "chatter around the league" is the same as direct quotes from his agent.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Part 4 coming soon.
no there wont be.

There are two other thomas threads going on right now along with this one. We can use those once this one is closed which will be very soon.

Old
northeastern

The Facebook post pisses me off the most. He needs to find the fs but he has time to plug in some products. You changed Timmy. And not in a good way.

Old
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Tim Thomas and the art of media delusion

One year ago today, Thomas was a 3-2 loser against the Vancouver Canucks in the Stanley Cup Final. You know what happened in the coming days. Thomas would give up just three more goals over the next five games, two after being called out by Roberto Luongo, as the Bruins made their magnificent run to the Stanley Cup.

Didn't have any problem with him then, did you?

But now that he believes something different than you do, he's Enemy No. 1? Or, at least that is how he's portrayed in some facets of the media. Funny, I thought it was your God-given right to have freedom of speech.

"Easy story lines," writes Kirk Minihane on WEEI.com, "but you and I know the portrait would have been different if Thomas had made it easier for himself by directly telling the media - instead of using Facebook - why he skipped the White House and why he's probably taking this year off. But he had no interest in doing that and the folks writing and covering this team couldn't deal with it. And P.S., it doesn't help that his political leanings don't exactly fall in step with plenty of the folks writing about all this."

Bin...

...go.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columni...c:on:twit:eric

Ok class. Required reading.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Um, yeah, I think your reading comprehension failed you.

Unless you consider "chatter around the league" is the same as direct quotes from his agent.
Wouldn't be the first time. It just stuck out to me. Maybe in my defense we could say it wasn't worded well

Lets not forget, this was chatter a few days ago, now it's happening.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Scotto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

One year ago today, Thomas was a 3-2 loser against the Vancouver Canucks in the Stanley Cup Final. You know what happened in the coming days. Thomas would give up just three more goals over the next five games, two after being called out by Roberto Luongo, as the Bruins made their magnificent run to the Stanley Cup.

But now that he believes something different than you do, he's Enemy No. 1? Or, at least that is how he's portrayed in some facets of the media. Funny, I thought it was your God-given right to have freedom of speech.

"Easy story lines," writes Kirk Minihane on WEEI.com, "but you and I know the portrait would have been different if Thomas had made it easier for himself by directly telling the media - instead of using Facebook - why he skipped the White House and why he's probably taking this year off. But he had no interest in doing that and the folks writing and covering this team couldn't deal with it. And P.S., it doesn't help that his political leanings don't exactly fall in step with plenty of the folks writing about all this."

Bin...

...go.

good stuff right there.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
good stuff right there.
like I said.
This is required reading for today's class.

I will be testing later. You dont want to fail and have to wear the dunce cap.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
SerenityRick

Quote:

Bin...

...go.

Really good article. Very grounded too. It wasn't completely forgiving Tim of his choices and decisions but it sure as hell wasn't condemning him either. That writing, I like.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Scotto74

edit:

nevermind just saw there are a few other mods on so they can close this after I leave work

Old
06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Squirrell71
Offensive

Quote:
edit:

nevermind just saw there are a few other mods on so they can close this after I leave work
Why close it? the discourse is civil? confused......

Old
06-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Why close it? the discourse is civil? confused......
couple of things.
he needs to know if other Mods are around.

More importantly we cant "see" what posts may have been issues or inflammatory.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Squirrell71
Offensive

Quote:
couple of things.
he needs to know if other Mods are around.

More importantly we cant "see" what posts may have been issues or inflammatory.
So if they consider a thread to be "touchy" they need full time moderation or its closed?

Old
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Wow, judging from your post, Thomas won the Conn Smythe and the Cup with a bunch of ******* beer league players in front of him, I didn't realize that?

I have never discounted any of TT's accomplishments, and I have been a B's fans just as long as you have, so you can dispense with the I waited 40 years stuff, because I did as well. I appreciate what he did for the Bruins, but at the same time I want Chia to do what's best for the team so I don't have to wait 40 for another one. IMO, that is not to extend a 39 yr old goalie when you have an NHL caliber 25 yr old (that makes less money) sitting on the bench.

Everybody is bashing Chia for not "doing what's right" by Thomas, but do any of us really know that? How do you know that Chia wasn't ready to try to work with Thomas on where he wanted to go, but he refused? You don't find it the least bit odd that Chia went out of his way to deal Aaron Ward back to CAR after he was only a B for a couple of years, but wouldn't do it for Thomas after all he's done? There has got to be more to this.

And as far as your reasoning about TT getting the B's to the WH, so that makes it OK to not show up....excuse me, what? Once again, hockey is a team game, and though you seem hell-bent on trying to prove that Thomas won the Cup all by himself with a bunch of stiffs in front of him, that's just not the case. Do the B's get to the Final without Horton? Do they get to the Final and win without Chara? Krejci? Marchand? Kelly? Seidenberg? The answer is No.

I doubt the Bruins were upset over Thomas' politics? I am guessing they were upset that he put himself and his agenda above the team.
It was considered sport to disrespect the POTUS when Bush was in office. I don't remember any uproar a/b a Redsox GM and star hitter skipping out on meeting w/ then President Bush, did you? In fact, I don't remember hearing a/b it at all. From what I heard, he told his teammates and management long before the DC trip he wouldn't be attending. Nope, don't see the big deal, especially after precedent was set long before TT negated the meeting w/ President Obama. The majority of the team is Canadian. Doubtful these guys read newsweek and the NYT, and sit around and discuss US politics. Other than that, he should have known how it would play out in Boston of all places. In fact if it were up to me, I'd of rather he just avoided all the BS, but he didn't. It still doesn't have dinky ****ing do to do w/ hockey, or what he delivered on the ice, and to the fans.

I'm not going to eat a guy's lunch who wanted to do nothing more than play for the Boston Bruins, GD. That's all I see here. He didn't want to be dealt, and furthermore, be dealt somewhere he didn't want to play at this stage in his life. Bottom line he wanted to play in Boston. What an ***hole. We have Rask, Chia is giving him the nod, despite never taking the job from TT on the ice. So, TT decided to walk. I didn't say I liked the situation, I said I understand where a guy like TT would find that situation unacceptable. Especially considering how many times, even in Boston, he had to continually prove himself.

I never said he had a bunch of stiffs in front of him, did I? I said in order for them to win, they all had to contribute, play at the top of their game. But in the end, to me, Thomas was the major difference maker. It's a team sport, yes, you don't have to explain that to me, I actually played the game. Is this a team, even on the Cup run, that can come back from 2 and 3 goal leads? Nope. TT never put them in that position, in fact, even in the losses he gave them every chance to win. You say you've been a fan for 40 years, when is the last time you saw that?? Forget a/b Conn Smythe. When is the last time you saw two Vezinas?

Once again, no one can make those saves for Thomas. Your goalie makes them alone, or he doesn't. 9 times out of 10, he's making a save b/c of something the 5 guys in front of him failed to do. TT doesn't stop that 2 on 1 in OT against the habs, Horton never scores the winner, does he? That's just one example from one series.

Nope, no idea what went on behind closed doors between Chia and TT. All we can do is speculate. Something brought this to a head. He'll either be traded, or sit out. In the end, this is what everyone wanted, right? Tuukka time?? Well, you got it. As well as one more chance to throw a rock at Thomas on his way out. Should be like Christmas for some.

Closed Thread