HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Cory Conacher

Old
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
BoltingAway

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
I kind of doubt you sign Brown to a max ELC to send him to the farm for the only full year of it. If we stash him in the A this year, I can't imagine he'd resign here. There was a pretty decent competition for his signature as I understand.

I think we'll use him as an energy liner a la Downie during the '11 playoff run - which, of course, is a strategy that would be helped by resigning Dominic Moore.
True, there's gonna be a lot of competition though. But Brown in that role I wouldn't mind. Hopefully with the amount of skilled youths we're possibly plugging into our top 9 (up to 3 rookies it seems like from a lot of predictions) we'll have much better depth scoring.

BoltingAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:53 AM
BoltingAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
I don't think you can knock Brown for not finishing in only 5 games. Stamkos had a stretch of 5 games this season where he didn't score any goals too ya know.
That...is impossible

But you're right. I'd still like to see more before I believe he's a sure thing to make it though. 5 games isn't enough. Hopefully he really impresses at camp.

Old
06-04-2012, 03:42 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltingAway View Post
That...is impossible
Yeah, he probably wanted to let some other guys catch up a bit. Just to make the goal scoring race interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltingAway View Post
But you're right. I'd still like to see more before I believe he's a sure thing to make it though. 5 games isn't enough. Hopefully he really impresses at camp.
Yeah, 5 games is way to small of a sample size. Can't wait to see how he does with a full off season and training camp to learn the system.

Even if Brown does get bumped out of the top 6, think of the potential 3rd line we could have:

Conacher // Moore // Brown

That is a very pesky line with a nice scoring touch (although it will be a bit undersized).

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
BoltingAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Conacher // Moore // Brown

That is a very pesky line with a nice scoring touch (although it will be a bit undersized).
I'll be very happy if we get Moore back.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:18 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Almost every game Brown played for us there was at least one moment when I jumped up in excitement and wondered "who the hell is this guy?". He was justs so agile and creative and a great skater. IMO, he was amazing and a roster spot is his to lose. They signed him to a $1.35 million cap hit ELC, hell, they even gave him #19 after one game. The kid's got balls:

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
nhljohnson

[QUOTE=LightningStrikes;50538541][B]Almost every game Brown played for us there was at least one moment when I jumped up in excitement...He was just so agile and creative and a great skater.[B]

Small sample size and all but, yeah, I felt the same and saw the same strengths.

Quote:
and a roster spot is his to lose. They signed him to a $1.35 million cap hit ELC, hell, they even gave him #19 after one game.
I think the contract Yzerman gave Brown made it pretty clear they think he's NHL-ready. A lot can change between now and the end of training camp but I think it's fair to project him on the opening night roster heading into the fall.

nhljohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:06 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Almost every game Brown played for us there was at least one moment when I jumped up in excitement and wondered "who the hell is this guy?". He was justs so agile and creative and a great skater. IMO, he was amazing and a roster spot is his to lose. They signed him to a $1.35 million cap hit ELC, hell, they even gave him #19 after one game. The kid's got balls:

He also didn't have any responsibilities. He was told to just go out and play with Vinny and Bugsy. I agree he surprised me at times too with some nice moves but he definitely didn't have it too hard. As part of him coming here, he was guaranteed playing time and would finish the season with us. That said I thought his defensive game was pretty good and I like what he brings. The time he spent with the US team also I think will help him prepare for camp. I think he has a great shot at making the team. Probably just as good as chance as any of the other kids, but I wouldn't say it's his spot to lose.

For his contract, you have to offer top college free agents some nice cash if you want to get a player as sought after like Brown. At the same time, it's not as much as guys like Gilroy got coming out of college. And with Veilleux and Moore wearing 19, it's not really Brads number the same way 25 is still Daves. I don't think he knew 19 is a special number here.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:21 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
He also didn't have any responsibilities. He was told to just go out and play with Vinny and Bugsy.
I think the point was that he demonstrated excellent defensive instincts (hustling to break up multiple plays on the backcheck, intercepting or deflecting passes by skating into a lane, solid board work for his size).

Quote:
I agree he surprised me at times too with some nice moves but he definitely didn't have it too hard.
I'm not sure that's true. Check out his advanced metrics from BehindtheNet.ca Again, small sample size, but after 5 games he had the highest Relative Corsi and Relative Corsi Quality of Competition ratings on the team. That may and probably would not have held up over the course of a full-season but it's damned impressive for a newbie fresh out of college, especially as he was getting only starting in the offensive zone 43% of the time (again, impressive when you consider that the Big 4 of Lecavalier, Stamkos, Purcell and St. Louis all started in the o-zone about 55% of the time). In short, Boucher didn't go out of his way to shelter Brown when he did ice him and Boucher was rewarded with excellent, aesthetically and statistically, effort from the youngin' in those five games.

Quote:
For his contract, you have to offer top college free agents some nice cash if you want to get a player as sought after like Brown. At the same time, it's not as much as guys like Gilroy got coming out of college.
There's a couple things worth pointing out. First off, Brown didn't get as much money as Gilroy did coming out of college but Gilroy was older (25 at the start of his first training camp and, as a result, not subject to the entry-level restrictions). Secondly, Brown was only signed to a 2-year deal, 1-year of which was burned off by joining the Lightning for the final five games, meaning that he'll be a restricted free-agent and thus due for a new contract at the end of next season. The Lightning are in the driver's seat for now, of course, and, sure, we don't know what Yzerman's sales pitch for choosing the Lightning was and, yes, Brown shouldn't be guaranteed a spot but if he brings the effort he showed in late-March and early-April to training camp, there's no other prospect I see making the opening night roster over him.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:35 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

They threw Brown into a lot of situations just to figure out what they have him in, and he shined.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:00 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
They threw Brown into a lot of situations just to figure out what they have him in, and he shined.
Yes.