HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

The Stalberg situation

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Sarava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Ott for Pirri & Stalberg and you want Bowman gone?
Dallas would say no.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Hawkaholic

Most definitely they say no, Pirri is nothing special, and Dallas only plays Columbus 4x.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
WarriorofTime

No respect for Stalberg as usual. Every team has 8 forwards that score over 20 goals with over 20 assists on their roster I forgot.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:35 PM
BBSeabs27

I dont expect an extension for VS (if any) until Dec-April, and SB is gonna wanna at least make a decent effort at keeping him. I say with how all the players are getting paid more now, I say VS gets 2.8-3.2 mil for 3 years.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:46 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
No respect for Stalberg as usual. Every team has 8 forwards that score over 20 goals with over 20 assists on their roster I forgot.
with no pp time

Old
06-04-2012, 05:29 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Wouldn't be surprised if Stan doesn't lock him up July 1st based on his post season comments. 3 x 2.9.

Stan may be taking the strategy of signing players now before a new CBA. Then if those contracts get rolled back, so be it even if it's the same percentage of the cap. Player x thought they were getting more money and now management gets to pay less.

You trade Stalberg in a package for,

1. Solid 2nd line center
2. Goaltending Upgrade
3. #3 or #4 Dman

of course when you do this it's like losing two players next year if the guy coming back has any significant contract.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 06-04-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Statistically overvalued. If not for Columbus he would have been one of the Hawks few minus players and about the same points as last year. He should be moved while his value is artificially bloated. Playoffs proved (again) he is not really creating anything and just gets points when linemates get hot.

Don't really care either way if we keep him. He is not really a part of any solution but is cheap enough that it doesn't really matter, as long as we don't make the mistake of counting on him to actually produce when it matters, since he doesn't.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:55 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Statistically overvalued. If not for Columbus he would have been one of the Hawks few minus players and about the same points as last year. He should be moved while his value is artificially bloated. Playoffs proved (again) he is not really creating anything and just gets points when linemates get hot.

Don't really care either way if we keep him. He is not really a part of any solution but is cheap enough that it doesn't really matter, as long as we don't make the mistake of counting on him to actually produce when it matters, since he doesn't.
you mean the sub 1 million dollar role player plays better when his expensive linemates play well?

Color me shocked!

Old
06-04-2012, 06:02 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
you mean the sub 1 million dollar role player plays better when his expensive linemates play well?

Color me shocked!
Let's not forget how those expensive teammates performed in the playoffs.

Kane, Sharp and even Hossa before the injury.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:05 PM
madgoat33

Kane was tied with toews for scoring lead, so its not like he played THAT poorly.

Stalberg actually had more points than hosa(granted, he only played a little more than 2 games) and sharp though.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Stalberg was great this past year.

He had almost no PP time, and scored 20 goals.
Also MIA in playoffs and ended up getting demoted to lower lines. Also lets see him improve vs opponents not named the Columbus Blue Jackets

Vs Jackets = 6 GP with 8 goals + 2 assists
Vs Everyone else = 73 GP with 14 goals + 19 assists

Let him improve on his past year before there are any talks of a contract extension

Old
06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Hawkaholic

I like Stalberg, but I agree with what Ike said.

Cash in on him now, he isn't going to be much better, and he is probably at his highest value right now. I just don't want him to get a contract like Froliks, and would rather use him as bait to improve at LW or C.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:20 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Also MIA in playoffs and ended up getting demoted to lower lines. Also lets see him improve vs opponents not named the Columbus Blue Jackets

Vs Jackets = 6 GP with 8 goals + 2 assists
Vs Everyone else = 73 GP with 14 goals + 19 assists

Let him improve on his past year before there are any talks of a contract extension
33 ES points in 73 games for somebody making under a mil is a huge problem?

I'm certainly not suggesting we just open the checkbook and sign him to whatever he wants, but lets not pretend he didn't play better than just about anyone thought he would.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
33 ES points in 73 games for somebody making under a mil is a huge problem?
If he is making sub 1mil on his next contract...keep him. But he won't.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:38 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
If he is making sub 1mil on his next contract...keep him. But he won't.
LOL. Of course he won't and you're saying you wouldn't take him for 3 years at 2 mil, c'mon.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
LOL. Of course he won't and you're saying you wouldn't take him for 3 years at 2 mil, c'mon.
if they can get him to the point where he can play on the PK then I'd probably give him a contract similar to froliks if he has another respectable year this year. Right now though, unless he shows some more improvement I view him as a decent stopgap until some of the younger guys are ready.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:49 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
if they can get him to the point where he can play on the PK then I'd probably give him a contract similar to froliks if he has another respectable year this year. Right now though, unless he shows some more improvement I view him as a decent stopgap until some of the younger guys are ready.
Like the Hawks PK was any good with the current guys. Not throwing him out on the dismal PP blows my mind.

quote from the article above,
Quote:
Of course, there was some curious handling of Stals as well. With both special teams struggling so much, could it have hurt to give him a look on either or both? You'd have to believe that speed would keep some point-men on opposing power plays on their heels, even if Stals wasn't always perfectly positioned. When the power play was screaming for more dump ins and retrieval, Stalberg was probably the best the Hawks had at it. But this is a familiar complaint
The use of Stalberg comes down to the riff between Bowman and Q IMO.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Like the Hawks PK was any good with the current guys. Not throwing him out on the dismal PP blows my mind.

quote from the article above,

The use of Stalberg comes down to the riff between Bowman and Q IMO.
I said that since about game 30. Alot of people always argued and said "his speed is meaningless 5v4" "what can he do on the pp", etc... My response was always-He can't be any worse than kruger or brunette and he'll be able to get to loose pucks/dump in's and help with actually getting some possession time in the offensive zone.

I also still think its hilarious that he finally got like 1 pp shift and ended up scoring ~1sec after the PP expired(when it was still basically a PP).

Old
06-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Rexy

Quote:

Cash in on him now, he isn't going to be much better, and he is probably at his highest value right now. I just don't want him to get a contract like Froliks, and would rather use him as bait to improve at LW or C.
yeah, he isn't going to get better...all NHL players plateau at 40+ points in their second full season, right?

In Sharps third full NHL season he had 20 goals and 15 assists. Glad you weren't GM when that happened.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Rexy

Quote:
I said that since about game 30. Alot of people always argued and said "his speed is meaningless 5v4" "what can he do on the pp", etc... My response was always-He can't be any worse than kruger or brunette and he'll be able to get to loose pucks/dump in's and help with actually getting some possession time in the offensive zone.

I also still think its hilarious that he finally got like 1 pp shift and ended up scoring ~1sec after the PP expired(when it was still basically a PP).
the speed would have helped at 5v4 when we were having major issues getting the puck past the blueline. For once we could have dumped and got the puck!

Old
06-05-2012, 05:16 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
I dont expect an extension for VS (if any) until Dec-April, and SB is gonna wanna at least make a decent effort at keeping him. I say with how all the players are getting paid more now, I say VS gets 2.8-3.2 mil for 3 years.
I don't want Stalberg with this contract

reason see below

Quote:

Old
06-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:

Quote:

Funny thing is that CBJ is on every player's schedule. You play who is on the schedule. Oh, the horror, without CBJ, Stalberg would have been a minus player.

Well, for those who played more than 20 games last year, 10 wer minus. Wiht CBJ on their schedule!

And VS outscored them all, by plenty. Some of the cap hits for those minus players: 2.3, 1.1, 2.0, 3.3, 650, 565, 870, 850.

So VS outscores them, is a + player overall with a cap hit at the lower end and he wouldn't deserve a significant bump?

Old
06-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
A topic we haven't had for a few weeks now....

Stalberg only has 1 year left on his contract and it's a very cheap contract. He will play in the Top6 most of the time and I don't see a reason why he won't end up with 0.5 PPG again this year.
I don't think the Cap will go up but in the end, it won't go down either.
Looking at other players at this age, size and production he would get 3+ million as UFA. Now what to do with him?

1. Extend him early before he puts up that numbers at a better price for the Hawks? Would he agree to this because he isn't stupid. He knows he could end up with a better contract as longer the season is and as more points he puts up. On the other side, this past year could have been a fluke (which I doubt)

2. Wait until the end of the season. This could really put his price up. Like I said above, this could end up with a big price we may couldn't afford and lose him for nothing - which would suck. On the other side, he he takes a step backwards we wouldn't have another Frolik situation here

3. Trade him while his value is high. At his cheap rate, he would be interesting for other teams that spend close to the Cap, but that's the biggest reason why we should keep him. I would say that this really depends on his return.
He is too inconsistent to make that type of money. I think 1.75 is a better number.

The only thing he has going for him is that he is exciting to watch at times given his speed.

Besides the cap is going up.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:58 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 1948
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
I like Stalberg a lot but I'm thinking he's the type of guy a cap floor team would love to throw a multi-year 3.5-4M deal at. We need to do something one way or the other this offseason.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
I would rather not sign him now and get 'Frolik'd'. 1/2 way through the season let's see how he is doing.

And I agree Q has a hardon for the poor guy. For whatever reason we will probably never know.

Closed Thread