HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Offseason Thread (Part III) - Is it TC yet?!

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
Don't we all wish this was possible. This really is my only concern with Radulov. Will Torts play him? If he comes cheap, then I guess it doesn't really matter, its a small risk for a good reward. However, if Radulov doesn't come cheap Torts is going to have to work with him and not be stubborn (assuming we do go after him and get him)
Thats your only concern? Seriously?

How about the multiple instances where it seems he doesnt have his head screwed on straight?

Or better yet, on the ice, how about how hes shown no commitment to defensive side of the puck whatsoever? That stuff might fly in the KHL, but not in the best league in the world.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:22 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
We have 3/4 of the season to find out who. The team doesn't have to be 100% set going into training camp. Sure, we know we need more scoring, and hopefully some kind of move is made over the summer. But regardless, the organization will always be ready to make a move when the option presents itself.
Gaborik will not put even 50 points next season. Parise will sign with Detroit. Radulov and Nash will find place to play before you know it. What option will present itself? Play Callahan is the only option out there. Unless organization ( or whatever name you use for Sather ) will trade for Iginla or Lecavalier.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:24 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

People really want Radulov over Parise? I've seen it all now. Parise isn't dangerous every time he is on the ice? Guess he didn't tear apart this team in the last few games when he got his chances. That pass to Zajac? Yup, not dangerous. That and he'll bust his ass to get back and backcheck and be physical. If there is a player that fits what the Rangers want perfectly, it's Parise. The question will be making enough room under the cap to keep the guys we want in the future and in the current installment of the Rangers.

He also scored 60 points in his first full season back from the knee surgery. That injury usually takes 2 years before you get full strength and ability back into the knee. I'd love to see the numbers he puts up next season because 60 points in the minimum he'd put up.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:25 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Are you drunk? None of that made any sense.

By the way gaborik could be back in november, that is not "all of next season."

November of what year? Get real, please...

Old
06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
Don't we all wish this was possible. This really is my only concern with Radulov. Will Torts play him? If he comes cheap, then I guess it doesn't really matter, its a small risk for a good reward. However, if Radulov doesn't come cheap Torts is going to have to work with him and not be stubborn (assuming we do go after him and get him)
the thing is-- we're not going to have gaborik to start the season. if we have rad there in his place then we're going to have plenty of time to figure out how much we like or dislike him. if he isn't adjusting to our system by the return of marian, then we have trade fodder come the deadline which is when radulov will be at his highest value as teams try to lock in some last minute moves.
torts can risk playing him to start the season while gaborik is out. if he doesn't improve he either gets demoted, worked in a trade, or he sits with gabby a few months looking for chemistry. nothing can go wrong. even with any potential loss that he brings next season, he's an easy move at deadline assuming that he is not a khl acquisition.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
People really want Radulov over Parise? I've seen it all now. Parise isn't dangerous every time he is on the ice? Guess he didn't tear apart this team in the last few games when he got his chances. That pass to Zajac? Yup, not dangerous. That and he'll bust his ass to get back and backcheck and be physical. If there is a player that fits what the Rangers want perfectly, it's Parise. The question will be making enough room under the cap to keep the guys we want in the future and in the current installment of the Rangers.

He also scored 60 points in his first full season back from the knee surgery. That injury usually takes 2 years before you get full strength and ability back into the knee. I'd love to see the numbers he puts up next season because 60 points in the minimum he'd put up.
The chance of getting Parise is about 5%. So why bother even think about getting him. I HIGHLY doubt he will go to his rival team. Gomez just did it cause of the money, 15 teams will be lined up to give Parise 7.5M, unlike Gomez.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Are you drunk? None of that made any sense.

By the way gaborik could be back in november, that is not "all of next season."
gaborik could also be back in december, january, or february-- and he may not even regain 100 percent movement of that shoulder/arm. it's completely unpredictable.
if gaborik is back in november chances are his shot still won't be ready for a month or two. this is major surgery on a major part of his game.

there's no telling when gaborik will be back.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
The point is they made a trade to address a problem. Same problem as us.

And they had Richards and were still at the bottom of scoring. They had tremendous defense all season, but that still had the Kings in 13th place in the West. The whole team came out of the scoring funk at the same time, but it happened at the deadline. They lit a fire under Brown with trade talk, got Carter and the team woke up. Can you not connect the dots to the GM making a hard decision, seeing an opportunity, making a move and team getting back on track?

Carter wasn't the fix all, but Lombardi made a championship calibre move and we stood pat. NY and LA both needed help scoring. He got it, we stood pat. It's not a coincidence they are still playing.

I don't mind people advocating a pass on Carter, but it never ends. An impact move is necessary to get over the hump. They aren't winning the cup otherwise. No to Carter. No to Nash. Ok, fine, prices are high, contracts are high. Let's get a couple of 2nd tier scorers instead. No to Radulov, he's a me guy. 70 pt potential for a prospect or a first. Nope, not interested. The better move around here, let Dubinsky come out of his funk and wait for Anisimov to become this player he has never shown any signs of becoming. Why? Because draft day we called their names? Insanity.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. My only disagreement would be that the Rangers needed to make an "impact move" (meaning a guy like Carter or Nash). I believe if you're looking to make a run in the PO's you need to bring in reinforcements. The Rangers scoring dried up against the Devils. It wasn't just the big guns that weren't firing. Our supporting cast did nothing offensively, while the Devils bottom six was coming through for them on the score sheet. Secondary scoring might have been enough to get the Rangers over the hump this PO season.

Or maybe the defense should have been addressed (John Scott was obviously not part of the answer). Would adding an offensive Dman have helped? Or maybe a defensive Dman would've done the trick, since we were playing tight games. Maybe having someone who Torts could have trusted with more than 5 or 6 minutes a game would've helped keep our top Dmen fresher. And looking at the Kings/Devils series, the Devils have scored only 2 goals in 2 games, so maybe if we were able to add pieces that would have helped the Rangers be stingier, maybe that would have been enough.

The one fault I've found year after year with Sather has been at the deadline. The guys he has brought in (e.g. Morris, Antropov, Sjostrom, Backman, McCabe, Ozolinsh) didn't work out and standing pat hasn't helped either. I just hope he gets a trade deadline right before the King retires.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcsalooc View Post
Perfect example of why this guy should be nowhere near this club.

Disaster waiting to happen. On the ice. On the bench. In the locker room. And in the tabloids.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

Disaster waiting to happen. On the ice. On the bench. In the locker room. And in the tabloids.
And Jagr got ripped on by those idiots also when he was scoring 123 points. Were you agreeing with them too and yelling to get him off the team?

WE NEED GRINDERS ONLY!!

Lets ignore the dozens of highlight reel videos and just care about the 1 min video of him having a bad shift.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
how old was he when he hit the coach in the face out of anger, 18-20?
anything else you've seen lately?

what teams did he leave solely for money? that's a pretty crazy assumption with no basis. from what i understood he left teams because he was unhappy (finance more than likely played a part, but come on, that's not the only reason this guy left nashville). would you stay in a job where you weren't happy and was paying you 1/6th of what you could be making elsewhere? doubtful. quick to judge him, but doubt you'd make any different of a decision in his shoes.

he was an hour late from dinner the night after a horrible game that he made a huge error in. wasn't a game the next day (possibly for 2 days). he wasn't hungover for practice. it wasn't a big deal. coach wanted to make an example of he and kosty.

either way the kid is a great hockey player. to not offer him a contract because he was an hour late from dinner or hit a coach in another league in anger several years ago wouldn't keep me from signing him.

ovi has some baggage, would you not sign him if he was available atm? speaking of dirty players who break rules...how bout crosby or malkin and their fish flops or hits between the legs? dustin byflugein was caught under the influence in the off-season is he off the list too?
rofl.. would you have not signed patrick roy because he requested a trade from montreal?

your concerns are irrational. he's not that big of a deal. from what i heard only the coaches had problems with him. hell-- richards and half the guys in the room loved avery. maybe they'd love radulov, too? only one who legitimately seemed to dislike avery was tortorella and we all know avery was a grade A ******.
What assumption with no basis?

He was under contract with Nashville when he left for the KHL.

He was under contract in the KHL when he left to play for Nashville.

His rights are being sold for 7+ million so he can leave his current KHL team to get more money from another KHL team.

Are you deliberately trying to be ignorant for contradiction's sake?

A "great" hockey player? Are you kidding me?

Old
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Anyone who thinks Rads is a better fit than Parise is nuts. However, I'm also operating under the assumption we're not getting Parise.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
And Jagr got ripped on by those idiots also when he was scoring 123 points. Were you agreeing with them too and yelling to get him off the team?

WE NEED GRINDERS ONLY!!

Lets ignore the dozens of highlight reel videos and just care about the 1 min video of him having a bad shift.
You sound like a ****ing moron.

You're comparing Jagr. A two time Stanley Cup winning hall of fame player to a player who has proven NOTHING in the NHL.

Highlight videos?

That wasn't a highlight video if one shift. That was two playoff games of not giving a ****.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:46 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
You sound like a ****ing moron.

You're comparing Jagr. A two time Stanley Cup winning hall of fame player to a player who has proven NOTHING in the NHL.
And your using KIETH JONES as an argument against Radulov. Well played sir

Old
06-04-2012, 05:46 PM
NikC

Quote:

i'm surprised you would let that piece by Jones color your thinking because he definetly has bias and he reaches so bad at times it's
embarassing. He's nothing more than a PR bobble head for the league.

Regardless of whatever we do Radulov is just win/win situation. If it doesnt work out, we can cut and run, trade him, etc.

Radulov has to be pursued in ADDITION to a player like a Parise, etc.
There is no guarantee on what kind of player Gaborik will be when he returns and we need to bolster our offense significantly.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Anyone who thinks Rads is a better fit than Parise is nuts. However, I'm also operating under the assumption we're not getting Parise.
It doesn't have to be a either or situation.

It's time for Slats to get creative this offseason.

06-04-2012, 05:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
And your using KIETH JONES as an argument against Radulov. Well played sir
Jagr and Radulov comparison?

Old
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
The chance of getting Parise is about 5%. So why bother even think about getting him. I HIGHLY doubt he will go to his rival team. Gomez just did it cause of the money, 15 teams will be lined up to give Parise 7.5M, unlike Gomez.
Not really. The way the Rangers get Parise is by trading Dubinsky. That is literally the only way I can see them doing it. Gaborik cannot be traded with his injury. The others (Richards and Hank) are not going anywhere.

Del Zotto might be the only player that is a FA, either restricted or unrestricted that might be back on this team next season. Stralman, Feds, Prust, Biron, Mitchell, Eminger, Woywitka, Bickel, and Scott are the other FA's. Besides the first 4 names, there is no reason to bring any of the other players back. Will that be enough money to bring in Parise, field a team that has a chance over the next 3 seasons with the following players being up from their current contract in the next 2 offseasons: 13-14( McD, Hagelin, Step, Anisimov), 14-15 (Hank, Cally, Gabby, Girardi, and Kreider now)

Do people want to risk losing two or more of Hagelin, Stepan, Anisimov, Girardi, McDonagh, or Kreider to bring in Parise. It's going to be a tough decision for management and the easiest solution would be to deal Dubinsky and get his 4.2 cap hit off the books to add a 7-8 cap hit with Parise.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Questionable attitude? Prone to mental lapses? A world of talent? A square peg in a round hole? Best assets are seen on YouTube and not on the ice? Didn't we try this already with Zherdev?

Old
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
94now

Quote:

The guy just got caught.
Elite players without issues could only be drafted. Our guy died tragically in Omsk. End of story. We've got to put up with imperfections.
I am okay with anyone who can do 70 point a season by conservative estimate. Anyone with 70.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Questionable attitude? Prone to mental lapses? A world of talent? A square peg in a round hole? Best assets are seen on YouTube and not on the ice? Didn't we try this already with Zherdev?
Rad is a more skilled version of Zherdev. He might be much more of a mental case. At least Zherdev wasn't a terrible example off the ice. He wasn't exactly a hard worker on the ice, but he wasn't nearly a possible locker room cancer like Radulov is.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Zherdev
Frolov
Redden
Gomez
Drury
Lindros
Holik
Driver
Robitaille...
...Esposito.

The list goes on.

Some don't learn.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The guy just got caught.
Elite players without issues could only be drafted. Our guy died tragically in Omsk. End of story. We've got to put up with imperfections.
I am okay with anyone who can do 70 point a season by conservative estimate. Anyone with 70.
Cherepanov is not a good comparison. Cherepanov was a good kid.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a either or situation.

It's time for Slats to get creative this offseason.
watch the Rangers dont get Nash but get Vincent Lecavalier...i wouldnt be shocked if he would move his NMC to NYR. he played for Torts when he was a young kid, he would be a much better option than Nash and or Ryan.. he has won before...id gladly deal this years first 2ed dubinsky del zotto for LeCavalier and Lee...something like that..

Old
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
NikC

Quote:
Zherdev
Frolov
Redden
Gomez
Drury
Lindros
Holik
Driver
Robitaille...
...Esposito.

The list goes on.

Some don't learn.
some of the players on that list faired well for us...

you're reaching like your boy Jones now...

Closed Thread