HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The Jackets Need Goalies

Old
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 500
Ryan Miller maybe ???

just not sure If Buffalo has enough trust in Enroth and what could the Jackets package together in return ?

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:27 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Howson was caught asleep at the wheel when Pittsburgh snatched up Vokoun for a 7th rounder, how is this guy still a GM?!?!

Harding AND make a deal for Lindback. Have them split 50/50.

Lindback for Brassard & 3rd should get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan85 View Post
I think a veteran backup who could push Mason would be good.
You mean like Vokoun?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
rajuabju
The One & Only

if CBJ doesnt like Bernier.... a few other options from LA could be the likes of Zatkoff, Jones, Berube.

All are unproven, all are stuck in the pipeline, and all could be had for relatively little. Not sure I'd want any of them starting off as my #1 guy tomorrow, but they all have potential for decent NHL careers. Just not in LA.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Howson was caught asleep at the wheel when Pittsburgh snatched up Vokoun for a 7th rounder, how is this guy still a GM?!?!

Harding AND make a deal for Lindback. Have them split 50/50.

You mean like Vokoun?
And how do you know that Howson didn't try to make a trade for Vokoun rights, but Vokoun didn't waive his NTC?

And there's no way they move Brassard IMHO.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 0
IF Pitts is through with MAF, maybe they would send him off to the Columbus? I'm not sure what would come back to Pitts, but MAF is a goalie I'd like to have to replace Kipper down the road, so I'd offer up a decent amount from the Flames.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
And how do you know that Howson didn't try to make a trade for Vokoun rights, but Vokoun didn't waive his NTC?

Howson has shown to have little interest in Vokoun. He had the opportunity to sign him last summer and opted not to do so.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
54roughing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
We could go back to the discussion we were having for Nash to the Island.
Id still do Nash and #2 for Poulin, Nelson, Neiderreiter and #4

Ryan raves about Nino andNelson is one of the brightest young guys in the NCAA and Poulin is a future star. plus we still get Gally or Forsberg and take on no cap hit, id love ir, a young team chock full of talent, plenty of cap space and a team with speed and hunger

54roughing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
SIDGENO8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
IF Pitts is through with MAF, maybe they would send him off to the Columbus? I'm not sure what would come back to Pitts, but MAF is a goalie I'd like to have to replace Kipper down the road, so I'd offer up a decent amount from the Flames.
We are not through with him. He's not available for the NHL. He is worth more to Pittsburgh than the entire Columbus Blue Jackets organization. Have any interest in Johnson?

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
Howson has shown to have little interest in Vokoun. He had the opportunity to sign him last summer and opted not to do so.
He most likely doesn't have much interest in Vokoun, but you can't blame a guy for not trading for Vokoun, when Vokoun most likely wouldn't waive his NTC to come to the BJ's.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:

Meh, I suppose you have a point, though we'll never know.

If you're going to move assets for a goalie, you move what you have the most of. They're not deep in defense, goalie is obviously a moot point. Nash is a solid winger though it drops off significantly after that with an aging Prospol and hope that someone like Atkinson or Jenner makes the club out of camp. Even with that, they'll need to sign a veteran or two to fill the Ranks.

They've got Mack, Umberger, Johansen, and Brassard at center and they acquired Letestu. Letestu and Mack could be your bottom two pivots, while Umberger and Johansen play the top2 slots.

If you're going to make a deal, you've got to trade something of value and it just seems as though they have the most depth at center. I can't see them moving their 1st rounder this year or next, with the possibility of being a struggling team again.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:05 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The Blue Jackets are going into the summer with one thing at the front of their mind.

They need goalies. According to today's Puck Rakers blog, at least three of them to be precise. Howson has made it clear that he is not content to move forward with Mason as the #1.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...lie-reset.html

Here's the breakdown:
Mason is out as the #1. He could come back in the capacity of back-up or in the AHL. Him leaving the organization and trying to start anew elsewhere is the most attractive option, but at his cap hit he will be hard to trade.

Sanford just signed over in the KHL and WILL be playing over there.

Allen York should not be forced to play in the NHL this year. He needs time to develop.

Now as for potential guys:

Boston: Tim Thomas is taking next year off. He's out.

Pittsburgh: Vokoun just signed for 2 years in Pittsburgh. He's out.

Vancouver: Potentially has a goaltender available be it Luongo or Schnieder. Luongo is not an ideal choice given his age and length of contract. If Columbus is looking to be a young team, he doesn't fit very well.

Minny / UFA: Harding is potentially starter material. He has been solid when playing, but his injuries are off-setting. Can he handle being a #1 for a full season and play 60 games? Is he reliable?

LA: Bernier may be available, but the cost is rumored to be fairly high. It's said that the Jackets are lukewarm on him and didn't really pursue him during Carter trade talks.

Nashville: Lindback may be available, but would Nashville want to deal within the Central Conference?

Washington: May make Neuvirth available, but by trading away Vokoun I think a tandem of Holtby/Neuvirth is likely.

Also, there are guys like Clemmenson, Biron, and Gustavsson.

The Jackets may entertain trading their pick away or look for a goalie as a piece in a trade for Nash. If the 2nd is involved, it is logical to assume the type of goalie coming back for it will be young and already an established starter.

Can HFBoards come up with a scenario that fills the Jackets needs?
I quoted the entire OP to make it clear I am responding to another's suggestion for multiple G options.

I believe Rangers have first crack at renewing rights on Chad Johnson, who has played well in AHL and has NHL experience. Ditto on Biron's rights, and he's a top backup, not immune to the odd bad game that nearly every G has, but certainly could handle 1/3 of the games easy, w/remaining 2/3s being good workload/fit for Johnson.

Rangers have 3 prospects, one, Missaen, nowhere near ready. Stacjer and Talbot are further along, but one --- probably Talbot, could caddy Lundqvist.

What do you want for first crack at Chad Johnson + Marty Biron, pref. a package deal?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:00 PM
chunkbox

GMSH please pay attention here i am about to do your job

draft these players in this order

2 Alex Galchenyuk
29 Oscar Dansk
30 Malcolm Subban
44 Andrey Makarov

sign Josh Harding on July 1

chunkbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
He most likely doesn't have much interest in Vokoun, but you can't blame a guy for not trading for Vokoun, when Vokoun most likely wouldn't waive his NTC to come to the BJ's.
If I remember correctly, Vokoun's agent actually called up the Jackets last year and the Jackets told him no thanks. I'm not really blaming him though because I think Vokoun is very overrated; not to mention, the Jackets should really be looking towards the future. What good does a stopgap do when your system consists of York and nothing else?

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Robin Lehner + 1st for Ryan Johansen + 2nd.
I recognize this was meant in good fun, but just in case anyone else somehow thinks it serious... Ryan Johansen is not available. At all. Don't bother asking. We keep telling the Oil fanbase's Vocal Minority that the price is Eberle because they don't understand the meaning of "not available" and so refuse to take "no" for an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Niemi is available.
He's actually become a bit more of interest as a result, I'd think.

Quote:

Lindback is an RFA. We'd get better value sending him an offer sheet. And Brass isn't going anywhere unless we get top-6 forwards back - we don't have enough depth to ice an NHL top-6, let alone afford trades.

Quote:
They've got Mack, Umberger, Johansen, and Brassard at center and they acquired Letestu. Letestu and Mack could be your bottom two pivots, while Umberger and Johansen play the top2 slots.
This is your error. Umberger's far better at wing than he is at center. At best he serves as insurance if Johansen doesn't play as well as hoped.

Our area of depth right now, such as it is, is the blueline. And by that I really mean "we can afford to trade Marc Methot."

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:02 PM
CaptPantalones

Enroth and both 1sts for #2

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally posted by Viqsi
He's actually become a bit more of interest as a result, I'd think.
Niemi could be had for the LA 1st and a 5th.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
stempniaksen

vCash: 50
Niemi actually makes the most sense of all the goalies listed, imo.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Cogburn

Vokoun, after a big injury, pushed out by an emerging talent, for a 9th overall and 2 seconds.

Luongo, Krajicek and a 6th for Bertuzzi, Allen and Auld.

Varlamov for the 11th overall.

Roloson for either Edmonton's 1st or Ty Wishart (when saying he could be a top four guy wasn't met with dismissive laughter).

Toskala for a 1st and 2nd.

Raycroft for Rask.

Halak wasn't too bad IMO.

Lehtonen for Vishnevskiy and a 4th (when Vis was still somewhat valuable...Canucks fans at one point wanted to give Schneider for him just prior to the deadline).

Smith, Jokenin and Halpern for Richards (a potential starter that was still young and "unproven", a 20-20 winger and a shutdown center).

Here are some post-cap implementation trades for starting goalies. I'm a Canucks fan, but don't construe this as a vote for Luongo to CBJ.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Get Harding and sign Montoya or Biron as insurance for when Harding inevitably gets nicked up. Draft one of Vasilevsky, Subban, or Dansk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan1IslesFan View Post
Ryan Miller maybe ???

just not sure If Buffalo has enough trust in Enroth and what could the Jackets package together in return ?
No chance. Miller can nix trades to eight teams, and I'd guess Columbus is toward the top of that list. If Columbus is pursuing a Sabres goaltender, it should be Enroth. Very young, very cheap, and has a very good Quality Starts percentage in his young career.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:30 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I'd like it if the Jackets gave Gustavsson another chance and he succeeded.
Don't force Gustavsson to play butterfly style. Let him do his thing and he'll be a top 20 goalie in the NHL. At the very least, a starter.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Kader

Has anybody considered the Islanders sending one of their many goaltender prospects, along with their first overall pick this year, to the Blue Jackets for the CBJ first round pick?

Not sure what the Islanders gain by moving up, but they have a ton of goalie prospects.

Kader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

So what's up with Mason?

available?

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The Blue Jackets are going into the summer with one thing at the front of their mind.

They need goalies. According to today's Puck Rakers blog, at least three of them to be precise. Howson has made it clear that he is not content to move forward with Mason as the #1.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...lie-reset.html

Here's the breakdown:
Mason is out as the #1. He could come back in the capacity of back-up or in the AHL. Him leaving the organization and trying to start anew elsewhere is the most attractive option, but at his cap hit he will be hard to trade.

Sanford just signed over in the KHL and WILL be playing over there.

Allen York should not be forced to play in the NHL this year. He needs time to develop.

Now as for potential guys:

Boston: Tim Thomas is taking next year off. He's out.

Pittsburgh: Vokoun just signed for 2 years in Pittsburgh. He's out.

Vancouver: Potentially has a goaltender available be it Luongo or Schnieder. Luongo is not an ideal choice given his age and length of contract. If Columbus is looking to be a young team, he doesn't fit very well.

Minny / UFA: Harding is potentially starter material. He has been solid when playing, but his injuries are off-setting. Can he handle being a #1 for a full season and play 60 games? Is he reliable?

LA: Bernier may be available, but the cost is rumored to be fairly high. It's said that the Jackets are lukewarm on him and didn't really pursue him during Carter trade talks.

Nashville: Lindback may be available, but would Nashville want to deal within the Central Conference?

Washington: May make Neuvirth available, but by trading away Vokoun I think a tandem of Holtby/Neuvirth is likely.

Also, there are guys like Clemmenson, Biron, and Gustavsson.

The Jackets may entertain trading their pick away or look for a goalie as a piece in a trade for Nash. If the 2nd is involved, it is logical to assume the type of goalie coming back for it will be young and already an established starter.

Can HFBoards come up with a scenario that fills the Jackets needs?
Considering that Mason won't bring in that great of a return in trade, the Jackets are better off holding on to him, and bringing in a goalie that will challenge him - the better of the two will get more starts, but even the "backup" will get a fair share of playing time. As a result, I really think Josh Harding would be a good fit - provided he can't find another team that wants to sign him to be their clear-cut #1, which I don't see happening.

I'll let the Jackets fans discuss this: didn't Mason play much better after he had that "equipment issue" taken care of?

Allen York is the AHL starter, and can be called up if Harding/Mason goes down with injury.

Why not re-sign Hunwick? It's a great story, and he'd be a great #4 - backing up York in Springfield, and proving that he belongs.

With the 1st pick in the 2nd round, CBJ should draft Dansk or Subban, whichever is left. I still don't know why the Jackets would opt for the Kings pick THIS year, since it will likely be the last pick in the 1st round - why would the Jackets want the pick, when they can take their chances that LA doesn't win the Cup next year and the pick is higher?

One last question: given the state of the CBJ goalie depth, why did they NOT sign Mathieu Corbeil? He had an outstanding regular season, and a lousy Memorial Cup, but that was due more to the D in front of him, from what I saw. I hope they don't regret this move...

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:17 AM
drewskiv

vCash: 12682
Irving for a 2nd or 3rd

drewskiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Just sign Harding and have him battle it out with Mason for the no. 1 job. Mason seems to need a little kick in the pants and signing Harding might just be the thing to get Mason going.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote