HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wherein we pin our salvation on someone besides Guerrero (wallpaper/avys - posts 1&2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 05:04 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
I think very few 2B are drafted as such, most are converted SS
Yeah even looking at the draft picks for tonight Cecchini is a ss that's projected as a 2B long term. It just seemed odd to me that you don't really see a guy that is currently a 2B. Most ss I looked at if they weren't projected to stay were they were they were likely to move to either corner infield position and some going to the outfield.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:07 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
we shall see if Alford or Davis become jays. I think if Davis is there he will.
who is Alford?

Old
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Jeff Francis now a FA and used his out clause. Some pretty good AAA numbers and 65/18 K/BB. Really think he should be given a shot
Plenty of other options within the system. No need to grab Francis. What happens once McGowan returns?

Old
metafour

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Cecchini is a ss that's projected as a 2B long term
No he's not. The majority easily see Cecchini as a SS.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:10 PM
metafour

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoMarleauLeafs View Post
Ya not really interested in taking a guy like him with our 1st rounder. Screams Rajai Davis 2.0 to me. Not that thats a bad thing, just looking for a bit more well-rounded player. Hit tool is more important to me personally than anything else.
Rajai Davis? DJ Davis projects to hit a lot better than that. Think of Anthony Gose minus the arm strength but a better hit tool at the same stage of development.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:10 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

The more I think about it the more I hope we grab McCullers. IMO if Giolitto is available he's too much of a risk to draft unless they've already found out what he's looking for in terms of money and it's not too much of a stretch. I don't want the jays drafting lesser players in the hopes of signing someone else.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metafour View Post
I'm just going off of the mlb top 100 draft. In their article it says he may be better suited at 2nd.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Rajai Davis? DJ Davis projects to hit a lot better than that. Think of Anthony Gose minus the arm strength but a better hit tool at the same stage of development.
Fast outfielders with weak arms make me think of Shannon Stewart. He was always a problem in the field but I'd still be happy if we drafted him. You can always hope for a young to build up arm strength but you can't make them run faster.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
metafour

Quote:
I'm just going off of the mlb top 100 draft. In their article it says he may be better suited at 2nd.
MLB.com's coverage is the least advanced. Cecchini should have no problem sticking at short...thats why he's in discussion as high as the 10-13 range.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Unfortunately, I have a baby prep class with my pregnant wife tonight and will likely miss a bunch of the draft. I'm hoping to be back in time for the supplemental round.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
MLB.com's coverage is the least advanced. Cecchini should have no problem sticking at short...thats why he's in discussion as high as the 10-13 range.
I'm not saying your wrong. Just letting you know where I got that from.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Matt Smoral 6'8" 225lbs LHP please and thank you. A pitcher with that frame and ceiling doesn't just come around around everyday, let alone in the form of a LHP. Please AA make this happen.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
metafour

Quote:
Fast outfielders with weak arms make me think of Shannon Stewart. He was always a problem in the field but I'd still be happy if we drafted him.
Well the major difference is that Stewart was a LF whereas Davis is a CF and has the tools to be a good defender there. I dont think his arm is ever going to be a weapon but he should be able to cover a lot of ground in center.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
He plays CF but doesn't he have a crappy arm? Also doesn't he have a below average hit tool?
Yeah, he doesn't have much of an arm. Could be kind of like Ellsbury who has great range but a poor arm. His hit tool has been improving and I think I read somewhere that he's got a good approach. Won't hit for much power though.

Quote:
Jeff Francis now a FA and used his out clause. Some pretty good AAA numbers and 65/18 K/BB. Really think he should be given a shot
No, he is not a major league caliber pitcher anymore. I wouldn't mind signing him for Vegas depth.

Quote:
Yup, Cecchini will likely stick at short. I think he is similar to Marrero.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
metafour

Frankie Piliere's final mock:

17) Lucas Giolito
22) Zach Eflin

Old
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Frankie Piliere's final mock:

17) Lucas Giolito
22) Zach Eflin
that would be a huge first round but signing may be an issue and I'm really hoping for at least one bat in the first round.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Just took a quick look at UZR. I'll need much more time to read through that. Is there any way of saving this post for future reading?
http://alexremington.wordpress.com/2...g-league-stew/

That's the author's own archive of big league stew post links. About 3 "blocks" down you'll see a section headed with "Sabremetrics Primer". They're all under there.

Quote:
Francis has zero velocity left on his fastball. I'm talking Jamie Moyer-level low 80s. And without that, he can't play off his curve as effectively. He simply doesn't have the stuff anymore to be consistently useful at the major league level. It's sad, but that's what happens with injuries.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
06-04-2012, 05:50 PM
GoHardSports
TorontoMarleauLeafs

What are people's thoughts on Joey Gallo at pick 22? Probably the best raw power in the draft.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Scion

vCash: 241
Quote:
What are people's thoughts on Joey Gallo at pick 22? Probably the best raw power in the draft.
He has alot of holes in his swing, even at the HS level those holes were exposed. Alot of scouts seem to think his real future is in the rotation.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post

In all seriousness, I'll keep an open mind. Can't do it right now, (filling out time-sheets), but I'll find the time to read through it. I've never disregarded advanced stats completely. I find myself using BABIP and WAR quite frequently now, so I'm starting the lean into the dark side of the moon.
Not all of those are useful in an everyday discussion. J-HOFFA is a statistical monitor of how players compare to the stats of guys in the hall of fame (I think the purpose in that case is that it lets you quickly see if they belong in the numerical discussion, in order to determine whether it's worth your time to discuss them on a more qualitative basis.), Win Shares are kind of a funky, awkward thing to use. SIERA is nice, in a FIP-on-steroids kind of way, but it's not really in heavy use either. ERA +/- is for historical discussions more than contemporary ones (it normalizes ERA to the league average and for the tendencies of different ballparks for a given year, so it's primary use is to look at how pitcher X dominated compared his peers in one generation versus how pitcher Y did)

If I were to suggest starting with the following:
BABIP, OPS+ (the + is another normalizer like the ERA +/-, but it at least gives you a bit of a drive-by on OPS and its benefits and flaws), WAR, UZR, FIP, and maybe wOBA. Those will ground you in the biggest, most commonly used current sabr stats. You can probably tack ERA +/- in there just becuase it can talk about what's faulty with ERA a little bit. Win Shares, WPA and SIERA are interesting, but less useful on a regular basis. J-HOFFA is basically irrelevant to any baseball discussion that doesn't have to do with a player's HOF candidacy, so there's really little incentive to go in depth with that one.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:08 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Anybody see AA and the Jays at a table...... I certainly haven't.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaZuffa View Post
Anybody see AA and the Jays at a table...... I certainly haven't.
There are only a handful of players actually there to be met and presented with their new team. There's not much point in being there when they can be in their own room with a wall full of stats and rankings and whatnot.

and lol, all that talk that the Astros were set on Appel and they go with the guy who was iffy to be a potential #1 pick.

You can also tell that MLB is not used to televising a draft. Everything about this broadcast and the draft setup is rough.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:24 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
There are only a handful of players actually there to be met and presented with their new team. There's not much point in being there when they can be in their own room with a wall full of stats and rankings and whatnot.

and lol, all that talk that the Astros were set on Appel and they go with the guy who was iffy to be a potential #1 pick.

You can also tell that MLB is not used to televising a draft. Everything about this broadcast and the draft setup is rough.
Nah I meant the Jays management or Tinnish... I've seen almost every single team there, including the Yanks, Red Sox, Cards, so it's not just the top picks teams' that are at tables.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Gardiner Express
(base)ball is life

is there something wrong with Appel that I don't know about?

Old
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Budsfan

We pick 17 and 22?

Closed Thread