HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players you would like to see Detroit draft

Old
05-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Marky9er

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
The difference was one of the Samuelsson boys did want to play for Sweden and I think it was this one. He did go over there to play pro for a little bit, but he needed to stay for four years or something strange to even become eligible. I do know the story is complicated for some reason it isn't a simple black and white decision.
Yeah, regardless I was driven from the point I was trying to make which is simply: with Detroits penchant for Swedish and American players, it only seems natural that they might draft a Swedish-American. Gonna go listen to Anti Flag now and get the idea of borders out of my mind.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:15 AM
KnugenSSK

Kopitar was totally crashing the Swedish Superelit juniors in points during the lockout, 49 points in 30 games, 28 goals. For us seeing him closely during that year it was quite clear he would make a big NHL contribution and that the reason he didnt play much in the SEL that season was that Södertälje had good NHL players on the rooster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Alright Karlsson was 15th overall, at the time I didn't think he was really good... We're talking really good at the time they are drafted... I didn't follow the draft that closely in 2005 or 2006, I know Kopitar played in sweden during the lockout but he wasn't all WOW.

KnugenSSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 05:22 PM
wings95

What about Carter Rigby? Pwf type compared to jaime benn. Ok size at six foot and 210, so he is little dannys size and could get bigger. Supposedly great shot and a good back checker.

wings95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:54 AM
getdatzet
Rookie User

Quote:
2003 was the deepest draft in the history of the nhl, enough said.

The others weren't that impressive when they were drafted, they developed and got very good, hence, outside the top 10 you hardly ever find a very good at the time of the draft, this is a weak draft with very little high end talent, basically only yakupov is very good at the moment.
If your main goal when drafting is to get a player who is ready to step in right away, I could understand your stance (on the top10 pick) better.

But the draft is all about DEVELOPMENT and becoming good...

If you disagree with that, I will have another list of players who became elite/very good within just a few years (even apart from 2003) ready for you

getdatzet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 10:08 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Thinking about spending a little on a draft guide.
Looking for a real guide, not something produced by fans.
Any suggestions -- as well as prices?
I bought the ISS guide a few years back - it wasn't as great as I hoped it would be. I forget how much it cost then but they're charging $50 this year. I buy a THN guide most years and that's a sufficient glossy supplement to the stuff you can find online for free.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 05:08 AM
getdatzet
Rookie User

Quote:
2003 was the deepest draft in the history of the nhl, enough said.

The others weren't that impressive when they were drafted, they developed and got very good, hence, outside the top 10 you hardly ever find a very good at the time of the draft, this is a weak draft with very little high end talent, basically only yakupov is very good at the moment.
I am not sure where everyone get the notion Kopitar wasn´t impressive in his draft year? He was very impressive in fact...

getdatzet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
StormSurge9

Brock McGinn.

I got to see every home game he played (along with a few road games). Definate heart and soul player. Stats weren't to great but I believe a lot of it had to do with a wrist injury he suffered, I have heard from a few people around the team that he still isn't 100%.

Ranked 49 among NA skaters, I could see him slip to the 3rd or 4th round. He would be a safe pick likely to make the NHL in some fasion, with the potential to see top 6 time. More likely a 3rd line winger that can chip in every now and then. He is also likely Guelph's captian next season.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 06:27 PM
sarcastro

For your consideration:

The mods are doing a mock draft and I just picked Scott Kosmachuk (RW, Guelph/OHL) with our 2nd rounder. I haven't watched him play (like just about all the prospects) and I don't see him mentioned here but he's got a lot of things going for him on paper:

http://theprospectblog.com/2012/05/0...ott-kosmachuk/

Speed seems to be rated between good and excellent. He's a battler who does most of his work in the corners and around the net. Not big (5'11) but reportedly quite sturdy and strong. Very high motor. Right hand shot. Negatives include defensive work and lack of top-end hands.

I figured with the guys the Wings currently have in the system, a guy like Kosmachuk would be a great complementary piece. Maybe he's a 3rd/4th line plugger, or maybe he develops into a Dustin Brown type of player. I think if he pans out, he's the type of player that wins playoff games for you. The Wings have a lot of guys with world-class hands but nobody to get them the puck in a position to do something productive. He's projected to go around there somewhere so it's not a reach. None of the other guys that were left really blew my skirt up.

Thoughts?

Old
06-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Good choice, really like his game. Kind of player detroit needs

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
For your consideration:

The mods are doing a mock draft and I just picked Scott Kosmachuk (RW, Guelph/OHL) with our 2nd rounder. I haven't watched him play (like just about all the prospects) and I don't see him mentioned here but he's got a lot of things going for him on paper:

http://theprospectblog.com/2012/05/0...ott-kosmachuk/

Speed seems to be rated between good and excellent. He's a battler who does most of his work in the corners and around the net. Not big (5'11) but reportedly quite sturdy and strong. Very high motor. Right hand shot. Negatives include defensive work and lack of top-end hands.

I figured with the guys the Wings currently have in the system, a guy like Kosmachuk would be a great complementary piece. Maybe he's a 3rd/4th line plugger, or maybe he develops into a Dustin Brown type of player. I think if he pans out, he's the type of player that wins playoff games for you. The Wings have a lot of guys with world-class hands but nobody to get them the puck in a position to do something productive. He's projected to go around there somewhere so it's not a reach. None of the other guys that were left really blew my skirt up.

Thoughts?
Seems he brings a lot of things to the table that we are lacking, sounds like a good pick! We need to start targeting guys who can eventually improve our bottom six, and maybe less small skilled guys who are so one-dimensional.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 07:43 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
Seems he brings a lot of things to the table that we are lacking, sounds like a good pick! We need to start targeting guys who can eventually improve our bottom six, and maybe less small skilled guys who are so one-dimensional.
That's what I was thinking - there were a couple offensive defensemen and a couple of skilled forwards I considered but they really need more lunch pailers, particularly in the top 6. Kosmachuk might get there. He's got some skill but he should be a safe bet to make the NHL because he's got speed and hustle.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Marky9er

http://thehockeywriters.com/mark-jan...the-wild-card/

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...393/story.html

Found a whole lot of this interesting.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Samuelssons style remind me of Chris Neil from Ottawa.
Is this comparison actually legit? A guy with 2 fights to his name wouldnt exactly remind me of Chris Neil

I like Dalton Thrower or Damon Severson for D with the wings second round pick.

Forwards, I like Scott Laughton and Kosmachuk as well. I've seen Kosmachuk discussed as the wings pick. Rigby as a third rounder or so would be pretty nice as well. These guys are tough to play against for sure

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Jimbo7200

Mark Jankowski

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
Mark Jankowski
Won't make it till the wings pick. I could actually see him drafted in the 1st.

I'll expand on this thread later in an edit

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Won't make it till the wings pick. I could actually see him drafted in the 1st.

I'll expand on this thread later in an edit
If you like Jankowski, you should also give Brian Hart of Exeter some consideration.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 05:03 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Is this comparison actually legit? A guy with 2 fights to his name wouldnt exactly remind me of Chris Neil

I like Dalton Thrower or Damon Severson for D with the wings second round pick.

Forwards, I like Scott Laughton and Kosmachuk as well. I've seen Kosmachuk discussed as the wings pick. Rigby as a third rounder or so would be pretty nice as well. These guys are tough to play against for sure

Playing style. Not fights.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Would love to see the Wings take a flyer in the third round or fourth round if he is still around on Chandler Stephenson from Regina in the WHL. Kid has all the tools just needs to put them together, what I really like though is he is a flat out explosive skater.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Would love to see the Wings take a flyer in the third round or fourth round if he is still around on Chandler Stephenson from Regina in the WHL. Kid has all the tools just needs to put them together, what I really like though is he is a flat out explosive skater.
That's why I like Francis Beauvillier and Damon Severson, both are great skaters and could be available when the Wings draft.

Beauvillier and Severson posting some of the best times at the CHL skills competition (starting at 1:25)

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:41 PM
PelagicJoe

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
i wanna see the wings draft more farm boys from rural alberta and saskatchewan, mean and nasty blueliners, all heart and soul..
This.

PelagicJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2012, 09:54 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelagicJoe View Post
This.
Yep, even if they're talentless bums. As long as they have size.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Jimbo7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post

How do you translate wanting guys who play with heart and desire, int wanting mindless goons/bums? Don't be dumb.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowings4013 View Post
Who would everyone like to see Detroit take this year?
The next Nicklas Lidstrom.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:02 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
How do you translate wanting guys who play with heart and desire, int wanting mindless goons/bums? Don't be dumb.
There are elements on this board who don't care if we have talent on the team, as long as we have size. I was not being dumb, rather, I was just responding to those elements.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2012, 06:01 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post

Mean and nasty blueliners from rural sakatchewan doesnt mean talentless bums as long as they have size... I swear the last few years the wings got a bunch of fans because theyre a soft team with a lot of Europeans.

Were you a fan in the late 90s even?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote