HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Maybe Tonight Jagr becomes a whole new legend ?

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

vCash: 500
Who is this Jagr you speak of? He needs to get more attention.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan
On the other hand, Jagr when he has been the best forward on his team, his team has only won just two playoff rounds. Hasek led Buffalo to the Stanley Cup Final and also to the ECF. He was Buffalo's best player.
Hasek played behind the best defensive team in the league, apart from maybe Dallas in 98 and 99.

I love Dom and he was the MVP of that team, no doubt... But every one of the skaters on those teams were underrated cos of him.

Old
03-31-2006, 01:22 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas_Bert_Morr
Did anybody else catch the ISLANDER fans chanting "MVP, MVP" after the 4th assist? Just bizarre, I got chills though, the building was LOUD.
Nassau Coliseum is a weird place. First years of chanting Potvin Sucks all the time, and now cheering Jagr.

03-31-2006, 08:34 AM
Sather Hater

I love how everyone talks like his two stanley cups don't count because Mario was on the team and Jagr was just a supporting player. How many cups did Mario win before Jagr got there? Did you ever think that without Jagr on those teams maybe the Penguins never win a stanley cup.

How many cups did Gretzky win without Messier? 0. How many cups did Messier win without Gretzky? 2. So I guess Messier was the best player to ever play and Gretzky was just a supporting player...

Old
03-31-2006, 08:35 AM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
I love how everyone talks like his two stanley cups don't count because Mario was on the team and Jagr was just a supporting player. How many cups did Mario win before Jagr got there? Did you ever think that without Jagr on those teams maybe the Penguins never win a stanley cup.

How many cups did Gretzky win without Messier? 0. How many cups did Messier win without Gretzky? 2. So I guess Messier was the best player to ever play and Gretzky was just a supporting player...
Good point.

Old
03-31-2006, 10:21 AM
Master Kush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto
Hasek played behind the best defensive team in the league, apart from maybe Dallas in 98 and 99.

I love Dom and he was the MVP of that team, no doubt... But every one of the skaters on those teams were underrated cos of him.
I was a fan of Buffalo during those years, and got to see them everytime they came to Ottawa (reg. season and playoffs). There is no way they were the best, or among the best, defensive teams in the league.

Buffalo's record without Hasek was terrible. Hasek routinely faced 40 shots a night, many of them quality scoring chances. He led/was near the top of the league in saves or shots against for most of his seasons with the team. Add to the fact that the team couldn't score to save their lives on most nights, this put even more pressure on Dom.

A team that can't score doesn't make it a great defensive team..

Old
03-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Kush

Buffalo's record without Hasek was terrible. Hasek routinely faced 40 shots a night, many of them quality scoring chances. He led/was near the top of the league in saves or shots against for most of his seasons with the team.
They were without Hasek for a large period of the 99-2000 season. Hasek went down after playing some average hockey, and the then very young Marty Biron became the #1 for about half the season. He went a pretty solid 19-18, especially considering half the team missed training camp cos of contract disputes.
Hasek also missed a couple of games in Toronto in the 99 playoffs. Sabres won the first game with Roloson in net (I think it was 6-5, with Sanderson scoring the GWer). They got a game on the road, enough for Hasek to carry the team to the Finals.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Those boys never got any credit cos they played on Hasek's team.
Peca and Curtis Brown (then) were both among the best defensive forwards in the league, Peca arguably the best. Even Miro Satan played some decent two-way hockey back then. Zhitnik was the #1 defenseman, and McKee and Warrener become one of the better shutdown pairings in the league.

Old
03-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan
Jagr has been shut down before. Not many players this season have shut him down but in the past players have shut down Jagr.
Yeah. Not many players in the past.

And even if they do it one night does not mean they can do it the 2nd.

Closed Thread