HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why the NHL is sinking in the US?

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2003, 11:34 AM
RI Canuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon
And those TV contracts are multi-year deals that were signed way before this game was cooked up. Besides, ESPN's responsibility is to make money, which means 1. honouring their TV contracts, and 2. putting on the programming that will get the highest ratings and hence bring in the most advertising money.
If ESPN was about making money then why did they show women's golf on ESPN 2 instead of the Heritage game? I can understand showing a major college football game, but women's golf? I don't think that's one of their big money makers.

Old
11-25-2003, 12:01 PM
Rob

Women's golf is more popular than hockey in the US.

Old
11-25-2003, 12:02 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Canuck
If ESPN was about making money then why did they show women's golf on ESPN 2 instead of the Heritage game? I can understand showing a major college football game, but women's golf? I don't think that's one of their big money makers.
At what time and what day are you talking about?

Old
11-25-2003, 12:07 PM
tom_servo

With hockey being my preferred sport, I'll say that football is way better for television. Live, it's no contest for hockey. But football is totally justified in being more watched than hockey.

Now, what do we do about baseball, basketball, golf, tennis, bowling, etc.

Old
11-25-2003, 12:29 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepchew
Sweet ignorance.

Since 1990 the UNITED NATIONS has been ranking the most desirable countries in the world in which to live. Canada has ranked number one on the human development composite index no fewer than eight times. This means that in terms of education, standard of living, life expectancy, unemployment, crime rates etc. Canada consistently ranks among the world's leading nations. Outside of the United States, we are clearly considered to be more than a nation of hockey lovers (although we are indeed that). I guess it should come as no surprise that in the the United States Homer Simpson carries more weight than the United Nations.

While we are on the topics of media and America's great advances, here's something to chew on. In 2001 Secretary of State (General) Colin Powell urged the media to tell stories that would encourage Americans to support a foreign policy that "has us engaged" in the world. Also in 2001 Bush named Michael Powell (now, who could he be related to?) chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (the FCC) -America's broadcast regulator.

Okay, "Big Brother," (hey, that's appropriate) keep setting the standard for the rest of us. Good Lord. Like most Canadians, and indeed like most citizens of the world, I look at American society as becoming increasingly comical and even pathetic (and our collective superiority is far from being a complex). You are controlled by a government and by a media. So long as you people know what the president's favourite snack is, you can dress your 6-year-old daughters up like Madonna for the local kiddie talent show and then go home to cheer on your favourite college team.

I'm glad hockey is not catching on in a lot of US markets. They've got their own things to see and do. Surprise, surprise, though, they want to capitalize on something that doesn't belong to them. Stop seeing dollar signs everywhere and let another country, which values things beyond money and is internationally recognized for it, enjoy its national pastime. Imagine if governments in America were to spend tax dollars on hospitals, education, promoting equality etc. instead of building big new arenas to compete in the hockey "market." While you are at it, imagine laying off poorer countries who have things that you want -like oil- but have very little means to defend themselves (Oh but you are there (illegally) to get rid of the weapons of mass destruction, aren't you?). Just imagine enjoying what you have while others do the same.
Pepchew, author of "How to Miss the Point in Four Long Paragraphs."

Old
11-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester
I would take that bet in a milisecond.

You have to remember that the mainstream sports media is licking its lips at the prospect of having two Canadian teams in the finals. You'll hear every radio host i the country talk about how boring and pointless the finals are because there are no American teams. ABC won't even show it. It'll be like "The Reagans."

<JESTER>
So you're saying that there were a ton of casual fans that started watching the Stanley Cup finals to see if the Ducks or Devils would win the Cup? Am I misunderstanding you?

I think that the majority of radio hosts would say that hockey is boring, regardless of who was playing in the finals. They sure wouldn't say that OTT-VAN would be less exciting than ANA-NJ.

I think that the NHL is so below the radar-screen that you're WAY, WAY off-base when it comes to some "anti-Canadian" bias. Would the NHL dream final be the NYR vs. COL or DET? Absolutely. Would the teams involved affect the scheduling of the games? I highly doubt it.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:25 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
So you're saying that there were a ton of casual fans that started watching the Stanley Cup finals to see if the Ducks or Devils would win the Cup? Am I misunderstanding you?.
I don't think a ton of anybody tuned into the Cup finals, save for Game 7. But you certainly may have bagged a few people who watched the Devils in 2000 and 2001 and were curious about Disney's Ducks.

Quote:
I think that the majority of radio hosts would say that hockey is boring, regardless of who was playing in the finals. They sure wouldn't say that OTT-VAN would be less exciting than ANA-NJ.
The problem is that a "boring series" becomes " a boring series between two teams no one cares about." I listen to enough talk radio to read the writing on the wall.

Quote:
I think that the NHL is so below the radar-screen that you're WAY, WAY off-base when it comes to some "anti-Canadian" bias. Would the NHL dream final be the NYR vs. COL or DET? Absolutely. Would the teams involved affect the scheduling of the games? I highly doubt it.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, because ESPN and ABC show the Rangers, Colorado and Detroit about 10 times more than they show a single Canadian team.

<JESTER>

Old
11-25-2003, 03:40 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, because ESPN and ABC show the Rangers, Colorado and Detroit about 10 times more than they show a single Canadian team.
It makes since though, ESPN's dream matchup would involve 2 big market US teams as that's where the ratings are, just like CBC showing Toronto every Saturday, whether people like them or not, it's all about the ratings. ESPN's nightmare would be Vancouver vs Ottawa, although it would be markedly better to watch than NJ vs Anaheim.

Old
11-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
It's an American network. They show American teams.

Old
11-25-2003, 06:39 PM
NJD Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
It's an American network. They show American teams.
Right. So when Ottawa and Vancouver play for the Cup, what do they do? Not show it? Isn't the network (or ABC) setting itself up for failure by not showing these teams before the most important series of the year?

<JESTER>

Old
11-25-2003, 08:01 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Right. So when Ottawa and Vancouver play for the Cup, what do they do? Not show it? Isn't the network (or ABC) setting itself up for failure by not showing these teams before the most important series of the year?
If ESPN/ABC has a contractual obligation to show the SC finals, then they have to show it no matter who's in the final, just as CBC shows the finals no matter if it's 2 US teams, which it often is.

Old
11-25-2003, 10:13 PM
NJD Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
If ESPN/ABC has a contractual obligation to show the SC finals, then they have to show it no matter who's in the final, just as CBC shows the finals no matter if it's 2 US teams, which it often is.
If two Canadian teams are in the Cup finals, ABC will not show it.

<JESTER>

Old
11-26-2003, 01:18 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsFan77
That and it is a complete bore to watch.....
I dare you to watch a game involving either Manchester United, Real Madrid or Arsenal and still say the same.

Old
11-26-2003, 05:10 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
If two Canadian teams are in the Cup finals, ABC will not show it.

<JESTER>
Yes they will. They are contractually bound to do so.

Old
11-26-2003, 06:10 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Let me ask this question. What if we made an Canadian NHL and the United States then form another hockey league in the same cities that have hockey now? Which league do you think would be the better league?

Now let me add that the NHL is made up of Canadians or Canada still produces the most talent, but yet they play in a league mostly dominated by an American market. Would this change if they started an all Canadian league? Why?

Old
11-26-2003, 07:32 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Let me ask this question. What if we made an Canadian NHL and the United States then form another hockey league in the same cities that have hockey now? Which league do you think would be the better league?

Now let me add that the NHL is made up of Canadians or Canada still produces the most talent, but yet they play in a league mostly dominated by an American market. Would this change if they started an all Canadian league? Why?
The best players would all be in the US league as that where all the $$$$ would be.Solves nothing.

Old
11-26-2003, 07:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
The best players would all be in the US league as that where all the $$$$ would be.Solves nothing.
So you're telling me Canadians are just as greedy as Americans?

Old
11-26-2003, 08:03 AM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
So you're telling me Canadians are just as greedy as Americans?
You don't think that would be the case?

Old
11-26-2003, 08:10 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Not by listening to the guys on here. I mean we're the greedy Americans that have taken their game from them.

Closed Thread