HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

LUONGO THREAD (Fan 960 in Calgary: Luongo to Toronto done at draft)

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Hackeybuff*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
The 2nd round pick will be 34th overall. NJD will forfeit their 1st round pick this year from the Kovalchuk signing penalty.
You should draft a center .

Old
06-04-2012, 10:45 PM
ProstheticConscience
Supertank 15/16

vCash: 50
Leafs fans only want Luongo for a bag of pucks.

Canucks fans want something actually useful.

*edit* I never realized Milton Berle was in a Ratt video. Or cross-dressed in a Ratt video. Also learned his nephew was Ratt's road manager.

Last edited by ProstheticConscience: 06-04-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: mind = blown
Old
06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
The Leafs aren't getting an elite top 5 goalie for slop. I don't care if you don't like Luongo's contract. It just isn't going to happen. The Canucks are not in the business of giving away elite talent for nothing.

06-04-2012, 10:47 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
We are fine with our presidents trophies.
Too bad the presidents trophy is a team award. Luongo as a player hasn't won jack ****.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
To Toronto

Luongo

26th overall

To Vancouver

5th overall

This is a fair trade. Leafs still get a first rounder and can draft a quality player. You dont NEED to draft anyone 5th overall. Even if you wanted to , that person aint going to help you for several years.

Now if you dont like it, I understand. But thats a fair trade. You aint losing your first, your just trading it down and you get a franchise goalie.

No. You cant have Luongo for some spare parts or salary dump. You have to give to get. If you dont like it, miss the playoffs for the 9th straight year.

We are fine with our presidents trophies.
This is definitely a fair trade and something I would do. Leafs get their badly needed goalie, and keep Gardiner (and quite possibly get Schultz) while the Canucks get a good young prospect.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Too bad the presidents trophy is a team award. Luongo as a player hasn't won jack ****.
Kinda like every player on the Leafs?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:51 PM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
The Leafs aren't getting an elite top 5 goalie for slop. I don't care if you don't like Luongo's contract. It just isn't going to happen. The Canucks are not in the business of giving away elite talent for nothing.

You're shooting for the moon. Paying your goalies a combined salary of almost $10M is not how you win. Go ahead and keep Lu, you will run into the same problem later on and yes, Leafs will continue to struggle to make the playoffs. C'est la vie.

Trade Luongo for serviceable assets from toronto, don't take any toxic contracts back, and you now have an additional $5.4M to spend on a UFA or high end player via trade.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:51 PM
KeninsFan
"Unintentional" Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I still wouldn't object on principle. Carter is a bad example too, youth and all.
Carter isn't a bad example...forwards' primes tend to be younger.

It can be argued that Luongo is still in his prime at 33.

I wouldn't object to a salary dump but history has shown that the team trading the goalie/long term contract hasn't had to take a dump back.

A Leaf fan saying Luongo's contract sucks and we have to take part of LACK back has no past history to back it up.

And let's look at LACK.

Lombardi - #3/4 C. Would be stuck on the 4th line on the Canucks. Speedy...fits the system but is way overpaid.

Armstrong - #4RW/Healthy scratch. Would battle Hansen for 3rd RW and lose. Would battle Weise/Kassian for 12/13th spot. Doesn't fit at all with our cap structure.

Connolly - #2/3 C. Coming off a bad season but could be a Kesler replacement. Has motivation issues but the Canucks lack skill which he has spades of. Not entirely opposed to him (I may be in the minority)

Komisarek - #5/6 D-man. Rode the cash cow after playing with a Markov who made him look a lot better than he was. Paid 4.5M to battle with Tanev. Is slow and doesn't have a good pass. Doesn't fit into our system.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:53 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Kinda like every player on the Leafs?
Kessel has won the Masterton.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Dear god... 8 Threads of "We don't want to trade the 5th or Gardiner" and "We aren't taking your crap for Luongo"...

Obviously the fan's disagree with the perceived values, and I'm damn sure after 7 threads that all the possible trade options have been exhausted.

How this thing goes in circles that many times is absolutely astonishing..

Old
06-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Five *s fpr Adams And yes he won that for Vee.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:58 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFrisco View Post
You're shooting for the moon. Paying your goalies a combined salary of almost $10M is not how you win. Go ahead and keep Lu, you will run into the same problem later on and yes, Leafs will continue to struggle to make the playoffs. C'est la vie.

Trade Luongo for serviceable assets from toronto, don't take any toxic contracts back, and you now have an additional $5.4M to spend on a UFA or high end player via trade.
Schneider will likely get paid $3.5M, so $8.83M on goaltending. That's 13.8% of the cap.

When the Canucks acquired Luongo they were paying around 12.5% of the cap towards goaltending. It's about in line with what has been paid in the past. (assuming $64M cap).

If the Leafs want to lowball that's fine, you won't get Luongo and you'll miss the playoffs because of goaltending again. Meanwhile the Canucks will have a great goaltending tandem and deal Luongo or Schneider to the highest bidder when a team gets desperate enough.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:59 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Kessel has won the Masterton.
Okay then. Luongo won the Jennings. Been nominated for the Vezina 3 times and the Hart and Lester B Pearson (It was called that at the time)

Old
06-04-2012, 10:59 PM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
Okay then. Luongo won the Jennings. Been nominated for the Vezina 3 times and the Hart and Lester B Pearson (It was called that at the time)

+Gold at the olympics.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:01 PM
DPyro

Quote:
+Gold at the olympics.
That's a team award. Anyway I'm done with these threads. It's like talking to a brick wall.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Ace of Canucks

Quote:

Going to agree with this, while I think Luongo is an elite goaltender and well worth quality assets, Canucks fans need to realize what the 5th overall and Gardiner mean to the Leafs. With Gardiner they have a tremendous young top 4 defender, who will likely play key minutes on their blueline for years to come. Add in his connection with soon to be FA Justin Schultz, and I think you have an unmovable asset. Similarly with the 5th overall pick, the Leafs have a great shot at pick a top young center, an area of need for them for several years. I just don't see Toronto giving up either of their key building blocks for several years in return for Lu.

More likely assets available would be Colborne, Franson, later picks/cap dumps along with maybe Schenn/Kadri. Talented young players who are near Luongo's value, but aren't in my opinion vital to Toronto's future. I'd say Gardiner and the 5th overall are key cogs to the Leafs.

Seeing as the Canucks have been looking to add a young 3rd line center (competition for Schroeder) to go along with a young RH offensive blueliner, I'd say my proposed deal would be:

Colborne, Franson, Connolly or Lombardi, 2nd for Luongo + depth player/later pick

Old
06-04-2012, 11:03 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Oh yes they can. Not sure it'll be Toronto, but I remind you that this is a business as well. 10 more years X 5.8 million per year = spare parts + a decent prospect + a decent pick.
For the last bloody time it is NOT for 10 years at 5.8 million. Let alone the correct dollar figure 5.33. Yes it is a legally binding contract for the first 6 years, however a team is free to do whatever they wish after that. They can WAIVE him, Luongo retires therefore he comes off the books his last 3 years = 3.36 over a course of a 3 year span. This is PEANUTS.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Canucks View Post
Going to agree with this, while I think Luongo is an elite goaltender and well worth quality assets, Canucks fans need to realize what the 5th overall and Gardiner mean to the Leafs. With Gardiner they have a tremendous young top 4 defender, who will likely play key minutes on their blueline for years to come. Add in his connection with soon to be FA Justin Schultz, and I think you have an unmovable asset. Similarly with the 5th overall pick, the Leafs have a great shot at pick a top young center, an area of need for them for several years. I just don't see Toronto giving up either of their key building blocks for several years in return for Lu.

More likely assets available would be Colborne, Franson, later picks/cap dumps along with maybe Schenn/Kadri. Talented young players who are near Luongo's value, but aren't in my opinion vital to Toronto's future. I'd say Gardiner and the 5th overall are key cogs to the Leafs.

Seeing as the Canucks have been looking to add a young 3rd line center (competition for Schroeder) to go along with a young RH offensive blueliner, I'd say my proposed deal would be:

Colborne, Franson, Connolly or Lombardi, 2nd for Luongo + depth player/later pick
An actual sane person. Thank you.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:05 PM
K2B
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
+Gold at the olympics.
I think he was discussing personal accomplishments due to his dismissal of the President's trophies.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:05 PM
PhillyFrisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Canucks View Post

That being said, if I'm the canucks, the only way I'm taking back any of Lombardi, Connolly, or Komisarek is if Schenn or Kadri is included.

From the leafs standpoint, I'd rather hang onto those terrible contracts (which will pretty much all expire after this season or the next) and keep Schenn/Kadri.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Numbers

It is funny how Leaf fans are still trying to play hardball and offer little return. Both Vokoun and Thomas are off the table now. Luongo is the only true #1 available now.

Keep in mind Brian Burke is under extreme pressure to improve goalie position. Assistant Dave Nonis traded for Luongo originally. Burke has tried to screw Gillis before and people think he will get screwed again to help Burke out.

Leaf fans need to give their head a shake and look at the facts of the situation. Im not saying Vancouver is getting Gardiner or the 5th and Im not saying Vancouver isn't. But seriously the way the situation stands now sure offers much more potential returns then what is being listed in this new thread.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:

That being said, if I'm the canucks, the only way I'm taking back any of Lombardi, Connolly, or Komisarek is if Schenn or Kadri is included.

From the leafs standpoint, I'd rather hang onto those terrible contracts (which will pretty much all expire after this season or the next) and keep Schenn/Kadri.
Honestly, I see Schenn as more of a cap dump than an actual asset. His possession numbers were absolutely terrible, his QualCOMP suggests he was extremely sheltered, and he looks to have seriously regressed from his rookie season. I think Schenn is closer to being Cam Barker than he is to being Rob Scuderi.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
I think a large majority of Canucks fans are completely disregarding the fact that Luongo has the Canucks caught between a rock and a hard place in this matter.

Given his NTC, Canucks are potentially limited to 2-4 trading partners and this doesn't even mean that all those teams would be interested in acquiring him.

In a free market, Luongo would certainly command the Leafs' 1st and/or gardiner, and more but this is an entirely different situation. Any GM interested in trading for Lu knows that MG has his hands tied on this and while he can go ahead and play hard ball and just retain Lu into the upcoming season, doing so would most likely be a detriment to the team.

At the end of the day, Luongo wants out. He chooses where he wants to go. Any team trading for him knows this and will undoubtedly have no need to offer anything close to full market value.

Franson, Leafs 2nd (essentially a late 1st), and Clark MacArthur is as far as I would go.

I would not give up Schenn, Kulemin, Kadri nor the 5th or Gardiner and no, I am not underrating Luongo's abilities. He is a blue chip starting goalie in this league. Canucks just got screwed on this plain and simple.

Not a fan of either team - but agree with your general premise. Luongo is likely worth more than he'll return in a deal - because of his NTC, and the 10 years remaining on his contract. I think he'll get some "nice" assets, don't think he'll return the "blue chip" types that some posters seem to expect. YMMV.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
For the last bloody time it is NOT for 10 years at 5.8 million. Let alone the correct dollar figure 5.33. Yes it is a legally binding contract for the first 6 years, however a team is free to do whatever they wish after that. They can WAIVE him, Luongo retires therefore he comes off the books his last 3 years = 3.36 over a course of a 3 year span. This is PEANUTS.

Doesn't matter. Too many moving parts, if this happens, if that happens...bottom line, it's a big ticket and you should expect far less in a trade. The only saving grace is that Burke might get desperate, but I doubt you smell the 5th or Gardiner for Luongo.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

vCash: 283
Quote:
Honestly, I see Schenn as more of a cap dump than an actual asset. His possession numbers were absolutely terrible, his QualCOMP suggests he was extremely sheltered, and he looks to have seriously regressed from his rookie season. I think Schenn is closer to being Cam Barker than he is to being Rob Scuderi.
That's because you haven't watched him play at all. It's not a surprise that you're the one throwing around most of these crazy proposals.

If Schenn is considered a dump, Luongo makes Scott Gomez's contract look good.

Closed Thread