Ducks 3rd Jersey, Uniforms & Logo Discussion

Old
06-04-2012, 10:12 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post

And seriously, Eddie Shack... What do you have against the mighty ducks movies? I loved those movies when I was a kid... If anything the movies helped the team more than the team helped the movies.
The second bolded sentence answers the first. You loved it when you were a kid. We're selling NHL hockey here, not kids movies anymore. But to each his own. I just don't want to go back there.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

I think that the Ducks reputation (currently undeserved) as bullies has pretty much erased any stigma about being conceived from a Disney movie, certainly enough to overwhelm putting a stylized cartoon duck head as the crest.

The two jerseys I wore to games the most this year were the old white jersey and the Anaheim eggplant 3rd, prefer them both to any of the current ones. I can see why the team has no desire to wear Kings colors with the old 3rd though.

Just to inject my own meaningless opinion, I love orange jerseys (go Vols!) and think green is generally absolutely horrid. The Wild jerseys should be sent to Jersey to be put in the same landfill the old Devils jerseys went to IMO.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:42 PM
teemuselanne

Other than the Islanders third jersey, I definately think our jerseys are the most boring/ugly in the league. We definately need to switch it up soon, and the orange has got to go IMO. It looks like haloween out there everytime we play in our alternates. I don't think it would be bad at all to go back to the old logo, but I can't see it in any different colour.

teemuselanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Well, I'll admit I have an old eggplant jersey with the Disney Duck on it. It's what they wore so it's what I bought.

I actually don't mind the Penguins cartoon character. He looks serious skating and stick handling. Give me some kind of Duck like that and I'm good.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post

Just to inject my own meaningless opinion, I love orange jerseys (go Vols!)
I should mention I've always thought the Vols looked good in Orange so add them to the Flyers in my book. I just think the Ducks have done a pretty poor job with the orange so far.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Sirquacksalot
ˇViva Los Patos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Well, I'll admit I have an old eggplant jersey with the Disney Duck on it. It's what they wore so it's what I bought.

I actually don't mind the Penguins cartoon character. He looks serious skating and stick handling. Give me some kind of Duck like that and I'm good.
One time, while drunk, I gave an hour long lecture to my girlfriend about how the jersey was eggplant and jade, not purple and teal.

We're still together.

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post
One time, while drunk, I gave an hour long lecture to my girlfriend about how the jersey was eggplant and jade, not purple and teal.

We're still together.
You mean you and the jersey, not you and the girlfriend, I assume......

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:48 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
The Angels A is a classic logo... And works two fold... For both Anaheim and the team name... Angels.

The webbed D duck foot is simply a badly designed logo, and really isn't even a logo, IMO. Photoshoppers on HF could whipp up better logos than that.

A lot of teams are embracing vintage logos... Yeah we were the might ducks as recent as 2006... but it's at least a good logo.

And seriously, Eddie Shack... What do you have against the mighty ducks movies? I loved those movies when I was a kid... If anything the movies helped the team more than the team helped the movies.

What other teams have three movies sort of about their team? Including appearances from Adam Oates, Paul Kariya, Chris Chelios and the Great One!!!???

The movies sure aren't hockey's Ben Hur... But they are pretty epic, and pretty funny movies.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for Samuelli to use the mighty ducks logo, and bring back the old jerseys?

Personally, the only current jersey I think is worth keeping is the away whites.

I think we could have a bad ass black/orange home jersey with the mighty duck logo...

The white mighty ducks jersey is basically perfect as is... But works great as white with orange and black accents, instead of teal/eggplant.

And bring back the old thirds which everyone seemed to like... But which no one seems to wear to games.
Going back 7 years isn't a vintage logo, Ducks aren't a vintage team.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquacksalot View Post

We're still together.
I guess that's like the days when Jack Kent Cooke owned the Lakers, Kings, and the Forum. Employes including announcers were informed that the team colors were Forum blue and gold. Not purple. And it was the Fabulous Forum too. Cooke was quite a character. He used to have his "private" box between sections in the upper bowl. Very accessible to the fans. He was quite the fan himself.

So anyway I don't remember for sure but I thought those old Duck colors were actually eggplant and teal. No?

Old
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Disgruntled Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
You mean you and the jersey, not you and the girlfriend, I assume......
I snorted at this

Disgruntled Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Old Man Barking

Any jersey with a word mark - scrap it.

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:02 AM
paine
HFBoards Sponsor

I haven't liked a single jersey in Ducks history.

paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 06:29 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
The second bolded sentence answers the first. You loved it when you were a kid. We're selling NHL hockey here, not kids movies anymore. But to each his own. I just don't want to go back there.
Well I should clarify... I especially loved them as a kid... But still like them today. I rewarched The mighty Ducks and D2 on YouTube last year... And thoroughly enjoyed both... If not just for nostalgia/ the epicness of D2.

That Iceland team was absolutely badass/ and Gordon bombays triple deke would still beat out 99% of goalies in the NHL today....

D3 is the one that didn't really stand the test of time... But even D3 wasn't that bad.

If you think it's not important for teams to attract kids to become fans of their team... Come off it... Most people cheer for the same team for life... And pick that team when they are a kid.

Regardless... I don't get your obsession with equating the mighty ducks logo to being kiddish/ means the team would be pimping DVD sales of the Disney mighty ducks movies

It's a much better logo, than the webbed D. We should at least bring it back in some way or form as the actual logo of one of the ducks three jerseys... And not just have it as the shoulder patch on the current thirds... Our current thirds are so ugly... Should be burned and forgetter about... Just like the wild. Wing crashing through the ice was quickly abandoned for being ridiculous, horrible and ugly.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:13 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

We just need to ditch the wordmark. I like our 3rds now and prefer them to our regulars.

The regulars need some work, ditch the wordmark and make the logo either the ducks D, or the classic logo with new colors. Add shoulder patches and make the orange lines thicker.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Don't ask me why but I think the six best looking jerseys in the league belong to the original six. I don't know why I feel that way and I've tried to analyze it myself. But there is something about all of them that just stands out and looks good.

ChairmanCat...I agree that marketing to kids is a good thing and necessary. I just think it should be done with promotions, meet-n-greets, and things other than going back to the days of Disney.

Maybe I should add this too...I stated before I was OK with a logo/mascot something like the Penguins use. Just make it a new design. Lets move forward. As somebody pointed out, we aren't old enough to have anything considered vintage. As such there is no need to go back to the original stuff.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
We just need to ditch the wordmark. I like our 3rds now and prefer them to our regulars.

The regulars need some work, ditch the wordmark and make the logo either the ducks D, or the classic logo with new colors. Add shoulder patches and make the orange lines thicker.
What is, the wordmark???? I've seen references to this before.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:11 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
What is, the wordmark???? I've seen references to this before.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Thanks. It is pretty boring.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:

So you think we should ditch the word mark... But are fine with the webbed D? ... Which is just the D in the word mark.

Personally, that's A big reason why I dislike the webbed d as a logo... Total lack of creativity. They just took the D from the word mark and made it the logo lol.

I can't begin to stress how much better the thirds would look... If you switched the mighty duck logo from the Shoulder patch, and put the D inside the confines of the shoulder patch instead.

I hope we get new jerseys before nxt season... But I highly doubt that will happen.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:

ChairmanCat...I agree that marketing to kids is a good thing and necessary. I just think it should be done with promotions, meet-n-greets, and things other than going back to the days of Disney.

Maybe I should add this too...I stated before I was OK with a logo/mascot something like the Penguins use. Just make it a new design. Lets move forward. As somebody pointed out, we aren't old enough to have anything considered vintage. As such there is no need to go back to the original stuff.
Well, I just simply don't agree adopting the mighty duck logo would be "going back to the Disney days"... Especially if it was done with the new color scheme... Black... White... Orange.

I agree the O6 (other than the leafs) have te nicest jerseys... I'd throw Philly, New Jersey, St. Louis, and the Islanders in there too... Because they keep their jerseys minimalistic... Which is hockey jersey design 101... And have timeless logos.

Theres not a whole lot you can do with the name ducks. I agree something like the skating penguin would be a huge improvement over the webbed D... But I'm not sure the skating Duck would better than the Mighty Duck logo... Or that it wouldn't look like the logo from the jersey in the original Mighty Ducks movie

The biggest problem I've had with the ducks since 2006-2007, has been the lack of a logo. The ducks are basically the only team in the league with no definite logo... The webbed D is half assed logo.

A lot of people consider the early 90s to be vintage... Plus adopting the old logo isn't about being vintage.

It would have new colors, and be on a new jersey... Hopefully a minimalistic jersey... Like the bruins or flyers... Etc etc.

I bet the ownership doesn't want to ditch the thirds just yet... But they are an undeniably ugly jersey...

I hope by 2013/2014, the Ducks have completely new home/away jerseys. If wild wing isn't on the logo... Whatever... But the logo should definitely have a duck on it... Or at the very least be a huge improvement over the Webbed D.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:27 PM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

Quote:
I bet the ownership doesn't want to ditch the thirds just yet... But they are an undeniably ugly jersey...
I can deny that. I love them, and I know that some of the players like them too.

Old
06-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:

I agree the O6 (other than the leafs) have te nicest jerseys... I'd throw Philly, New Jersey, St. Louis, and the Islanders in there too... Because they keep their jerseys minimalistic... Which is hockey jersey design 101... And have timeless logos.

The webbed D is half assed logo.
Truer words were never spoken.

Old
06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim

The Ducks D or the old mask logo?

Just combine them lol
http://www.icethetics.info/concepts/...ded-ducks.html

Old
06-06-2012, 11:16 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
Burn it! With fire!

It kind of looks like the D is doing something dirty.

I don't know why, but it also seems really obvious the Ducks mask is flipped. It looks wrong somehow.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
The Ducks D or the old mask logo?

Just combine them lol
http://www.icethetics.info/concepts/...ded-ducks.html

I'm sorry but I hate this so much it is funny lol.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote