HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HC: Re: Vokoun Kypreos: "Leafs turned down the offer of 4 million"

Old
06-04-2012, 10:21 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

vCash: 500
Am I the only one here who thinks 2 mil per year for 2 years of Vokoun is a REALLY good deal?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Pilky01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey_central_at_noon/

^they address the vokoun trade in the first minute of the show.

doug maclean: "that would be good news for leafs fans."

"i don't think that's what Brian Burke and company are looking for. i think they are looking for somebody to be the guy until Reimer becomes a real number 1."

speculate away!

are you disappointed in the decision NOT to go with Vokoun?
who do you think they are targeting?

i hope we are surprised by their decision and i hope that decision doesn't mean re-signing Gus and playing Reimer as a 1a 1b tandem.

what do you think?
This is why McLean is where he is.

So the Leafs are looking for an unquestioned #1 guy...who will be a stop gap until their 24 year old "real deal" becomes the starter?

I hope (and suspect) this is just McLean being his idiot self, because if that really is the Leafs plan, holy ****, this team is going nowhere slower than ever.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Sigh, I really wanted Vokoun cause I thought he was the best FA option available and I want this team to stay FAR away from Luongo. **** 7uongo, I felt bad for him this post-season but I don't want a guy with the mental durability of a marshmallow to be the starting goalie of this team, especially with that ******** contract.

Holding out hope for Harding now.
what makes you so sure Harding is head strong?

he has 1 nhl playoff game. you think he can take it like VAN fans gave it to Luongo. Get Out Of Here. you're only going on a hunch and bunch of internet nerds hyping a bunch of YouTube video highlights.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:29 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
This is why McLean is where he is.

So the Leafs are looking for an unquestioned #1 guy...who will be a stop gap until their 24 year old "real deal" becomes the starter?

I hope (and suspect) this is just McLean being his idiot self, because if that really is the Leafs plan, holy ****, this team is going nowhere slower than ever.
who is this mighty reimer you're talking about? has he played in the NHL playoffs yet? does he have anything to show for himself other than the '10-11 season?

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Sigh, I really wanted Vokoun cause I thought he was the best FA option available and I want this team to stay FAR away from Luongo. **** 7uongo, I felt bad for him this post-season but I don't want a guy with the mental durability of a marshmallow to be the starting goalie of this team, especially with that ******** contract.

Holding out hope for Harding now.
I agree with what you are saying, i wanted him no where near the leafs.. but a fresh start could be what he needs.. its been the saving point of so many nhl careers.

Luongo is an olympic gold medalist 2 years ago, if you have the chance to get him for say Macarthur + Salary dump ( Just an example) You at least have to put that in to big consideration, before you go out and sign potentially another goalie with groin problems or a goalie who's never been a legit starter.

Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
Drew311
Shanahanigans

What scares me about Luongo is how much of a notoriously awful goalie he is in the first couple months of the season. If Burke brings him to Toronto and he gets shelled in his first 5 games, Leafs fans are going to burn the ACC to the ground.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:37 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

unless we're getting luongo at an extreme discount, im pretty furious we passed up this opportunity.

maplehawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
What scares me about Luongo is how much of a notoriously awful goalie he is in the first couple months of the season. If Burke brings him to Toronto and he gets shelled in his first 5 games, Leafs fans are going to burn the ACC to the ground.
Im tired of the 4-0-1 Starts.. they didn't get us anywhere

Maybe its time to go 0-4-1

Old
06-04-2012, 10:39 PM
the squared circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
For Burke to turn down giving up a 7th round pick (bag of pucks has more value) and a two year deal at 2m per, for a guy like Vokoun (yes he is old, but fits what we are looking for: short term, allows our two goalie prospects to grow, and of course stability in the net) it has to mean Burke and co. have a legitimate shot at a top tier goalie, most likely Luongo.

Exactly. Benvenuto to Toronto Lalongo!

the squared circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Lufa

As we all know, Burke is not a fan of cap circumventing/long term deals.

Luongo would most likely save his job, and bring us some playoff hockey.. But BB likes to hold onto his words a little too much.

I could see him striking a deal for Lou, and having an easy out answering to the media by saying "I didnt make that contract". However, I could see Burke aiming for someone like Hiller.

He seems to love his own signings and draft picks, and Hiller would be a good fit to grow with the young core. Not necessarily a mentor for Reimer, but a proven enough goaltender that I think most of us would feel confident with.

And im sure Allaire would absolutely love him..

Lufa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:59 PM
jrgtml67

First off no way its Hiller he missed a ton of action last year with an injury and no less a concussion and vertigo....why would Burke want to sign a guy that recently had his bell rung to push us to the playoffs and make a run. I think it is LU or like others have stated a goalie, no one has mentioned yet. There is no mystery Burke did mention to Gillis he was interested in LU but no discussions had taken place....you have to ask yourself why no dicussions yet? Why mention to Gillis " hey bud just letting you know we are interested !" The only issue I have with LU is his contract; however in saying that he would instantly be the best goalie we have seen since Potvin...ya ya I know Cujo and Belfour but with them we got Cujo in his prime for several seasons and dumped him to the Wings where he basically never recovered his career thereafter. Belfour we got him at the end of his prime but he was the Belfour that we all saw play so great in Chicago and Dallas....Potvin was our homegrown talent and gave us years of great goaltending and if it werent for Mr Fraser he would have brought us the cup as well. No matter what anyone says about Roberto's talent, one thing is for certain he would be one of the most talented goalies our franchise has seen especially since the 90's. Imagine our guys not wondering if Gus is going to knock the puck in our own net (which we wont anyway as he is gone like Ghandi's lunch) or Reimer, and Scrivens having that caliber of goaltender to look up to. Remember Vancouver made LU captain so that tells me he is a leader, and for our young guns having a guy like LU in the locker-room would be a breathe of fresh air...and I feel take weight off Phaneuf who played great until that dreadful post allstar but then so did the rest of our team.

In another thread I mentioned how I believe Burke will flip or #5 pick unless he literally cannot do anything (because of other GMS just plain not budging on anything). I mentioned I dont wanna gut our AHL finalists and possible Calder Cup boys to bring in what we need which is obviously #1 center #1 goalie and if we get lucky a good dman..which may I add sounds like Schultz is coming thanks to Gardiner the gift that keeps giving...can you imagine that? We get Schultz and now basically the only 2 guys on d that are safe are Phaneuf and Gardiner and obviously Schultz if we grab him.

Again I will say as well if we get LU everyone's wish's of last year will come true and Komi guaranteed is part of the deal....but what about a multi-player deal? What if we got Kesler as part of a LU deal? Burke has a knack for big trades, and with us taking Lu's crazy contract even sending Komi...I could see Burke saying okay we are taking this contract from you here is Komi I like Kesler so whats about we take him and give ......BLANK its possible for sure that a bigger deal could be forthcoming and maybe the reason we have not heard anything...and what with LU in Toronto this time of year and not in FLA with his wife? It maybe nothing OR it could be something

jrgtml67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Donato
#BarSouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
.but what about a multi-player deal? What if we got Kesler as part of a LU deal? Burke has a knack for big trades, and with us taking Lu's crazy contract even sending Komi...I could see Burke saying okay we are taking this contract from you here is Komi I like Kesler so whats about we take him and give ......BLANK its possible for sure that a bigger deal could be forthcoming and maybe the reason we have not heard anything...and what with LU in Toronto this time of year and not in FLA with his wife? It maybe nothing OR it could be something

I like this last part here, as it almost makes sense as to what burke might try to do, but i think getting Kesler might include us giving up something pretty good also.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donato View Post
Im tired of the 4-0-1 Starts.. they didn't get us anywhere

Maybe its time to go 0-4-1
Tried that also in 09-10, did not go so well either.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks 2 mil per year for 2 years of Vokoun is a REALLY good deal?
I'm with you. Before he signed with Washington I thought he was going to get a big pay day after playing great with Florida and being a top goalie.

I'm kinda upset we didn't sign him to this 2 year 2M contract, even if he craps out next season he's only a 2M cap dump.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:20 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

we just have to assume bb is confident he can find someome better

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Pyromaniac3

Friedman said in his 30 thoughts that Toronto only wanted a one year deal.

Pyromaniac3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:23 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I really think, if there is a clause in the next CBA, that allows a team to re-structure a deal (which should be standard practice), Lou is a great option.

Paying him 5.3(am I wrong?) for the next 6 years make sense, but the next 10?

So if there is a modified amnesty clause, Lou makes perfect sense, but otherwise, we shouldn't be dealing anything of significance, that doesn't absolutely help our cap situation, otherwise.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Get a real GM

vCash: 283
Probably means Luongo is coming here.

The only guy whose a veteran, and better than Vokoun, and available now is Luongo.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:35 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

If we still draft a forward at #5, I'm fine with Lou.

....... As long as he doesn't cost more than Franson + Lombardi/Army/Connolly + 7th rd.... TOPS

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Stephen

I'm guessing it's Luongo at a discount.

But imagine if it was MAF? That would be something ridiculous...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:00 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Probably means Luongo is coming here.

The only guy whose a veteran, and better than Vokoun, and available now is Luongo.
I could see Niemi avaliable but it's not like I want him or anything.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:02 AM
FlyingLeafus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Fan Since 93 View Post
I hope they go for Lindback/Schneider(most likely not available)/ or Bernier as opposed to Luongo now that Vokoun is backing up MA Fleury

Why would you want another young goalie tandem in net, did you not see how horrible it played out last year.

Burke needs to smarten the heck up and go for the real deal which is an elite goalie, Luongo!
Just because ONE young tandem failed doesnt mean they ALL will, I don't understand this logic at all. Young goalies fail, young goalies succeed. Veteran goalies fail, veteran goalies succeed. You're taking a risk no matter what. The Leafs have tried going young and they've tried going old and NOTHING has worked so far. So I'm ok with any move that Burke takes time to plan for whether that be sticking with what we have or going all in on a goalie like Luongo. There's going to be risk no matter what.

FlyingLeafus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:07 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Oh, he'll definitely get shelled in the first 5 games. But trust me, once you weather that storm, you'll fall in love with him in a hurry.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:23 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Lindback or Bernier screams Toskala, and to a lesser extent Raycroft.

Never thought I would say it, but we need Luongo.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote