HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for Assistant GM's and Coach Part X

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Nnelg

vCash: 500
Woke up this am and seen they were gonna hire Therrien. Not my number one choice but lets give the benefit of the doubt. Been 10 yrs since he was here.

Just think, it could be worse - it could be this waste of space, Mario Tremblay.

Old
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
Unfairly fired by the Devils. Wasn't he 2nd in the East when he got fired?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Yeah but he was fired mostly because there was a rift between him and some players in the room.
Which, correct if I'm wrong, was the same with Therrien in Pittsburgh.

It's pretty simple, if Therrien doesn't do the job I hope Bergevin can step up and state the same and this is where I was a bit not comfortable with this selection because they're both very good friends. Bergevin is the kind of GM who wants management to work as team, so Michel is gonna have to accept everyone's opinion on how to run the team on the ice.

As I wrote earlier: The context isn't the same, the league isn't the same either. It'll be interesting to see how Michel is surrounded with the assistants selection.

Old
HomaridII

Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro
Im hearing the Habs will hold a 2pm press conference today to announce Michel Therrien as their new head coach

Old
06-05-2012, 07:00 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

im not sold on therien but I will give him plenty of rope.....lets see if he hangs himself....

Old
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Lets throw results out the window since we're doing the same thing with Therrien.

Are you trying to tell me Therrien is a better coach than Julien? He couldn't hold Julien's jock.....and I would have said the same thing if the Bruins got knocked in round 1 last year.
....and after round 1 loss, Bruins canned Julien and he surely could be one of the HC candidates for Bergevin. Horrible idea.

Old
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Therrien and Crawford

or

Tweedledum and Tweedledee.

or

Jeff and Mutt.

I wasn't crazy about either of our two choices, so I can't say I'm disappointed with the Therrien hiring.

Too bad we traded Kostitsyn. I would have loved to see a press conference after a game with Gomez, Bourque, Kostitsyn and Kaberle.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
Woke up this am and seen they were gonna hire Therrien. Not my number one choice but lets give the benefit of the doubt. Been 10 yrs since he was here.

Just think, it could be worse - it could be this waste of space, Mario Tremblay.

Yeah, such a waste of space that Jacques Lemaire had him as an assistant coach on two teams.

Old
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I think that the people main worries is that Therrien is not exactly known as a super wise hockey man tactically. So you either hope he perfected his art, or that he'll surround himself with good tacticians...which make me believe that if we don't like Therrien's nomination, we "might" hate even more his assistants if he indeed go with Carbo and Tremblay. Don't see tacticians there..
That has to be the biggest understatement since Noah said "It looks like rain".

Old
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Wonder if you'd be arguing the same thing in Crawford's case if he was hired. I somehow doubt it.
Yes I would! Don't paint me a straw man already

In fact none of the two candidates were really interesting to me for different reasons. I tried as much as possible not to take any sides. Crawford has the Bertuzzi affair spotted all over his face like Milbury with the shoe and it isn't over with a civil suit that's supposed to go on in September. He would have been a good candidate too, but both of them I can't see as very good development coaches, which I think is what we need until... say Boucher or Muller becomes available?

Old
06-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Nnelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Tony Marinaro ‏@TonyMarinaro
Im hearing the Habs will hold a 2pm press conference today to announce Michel Therrien as their new head coach
Wow I am surprised Tony actually posted something hockey related, since most of his morning show is spent talking about soccer.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Nnelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Yeah, such a waste of space that Jacques Lemaire had him as an assistant coach on two teams.
Yeah and he wasn't the one we can blame for Roy being shipped out of town. That's right, Tremblay had nothing to do with that.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:12 AM
SeriousHabs

I really can't wait to hate Therrian. Can anyone on the hate bandwagon give me some valid reasons to be oh so so mad about this? Thank you! Also, please explain why Crawford was a better choice.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:12 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm bookmarking this thread so a lot of you can eat a lot of crow.

I bet not even half of you can even name anything about Therrien's coaching style or philosophy.

He's our coach now, and he's got a lot of good pieces and good potential pieces. Let's see how he does.

Immediate thought: Ehh, hope he's good with the kids. Our special teams better not suffer.
What does Therrien have to do with special teams? The assistants take care of that usually.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:13 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Can't wait to see Gorges on the wing.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:15 AM
deandebean

For your info, Therrien was to be hired by the Devils last year. He came in second to Peter DeBoer. If Lou thought he was pretty good, I trust Marc.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:21 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Our most reserved journalists, and maybe one of the best in Mathias Brunet believes we made the right pick. I don't agree with him.
I have a great deal of respect for Brunet, but he's gonna think this one in terms of "Stanley Cup finalist", not in terms of "terrible possession club" or "team got way better when he was replaced".

Seems like he also bought the "turned the young Pens into a hard-working, disciplined, defensive-minded bunch" line.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
And I think the Journal de Montréal had a poll a week ago and it was between Crawford and Therrien and Therrien was winning by a staggering 86%.

I have the feeling that the difference between these two choices are very cut and dry between the anglo and franco population. Never seen something like this.
Therrien has been on Franco only TV a lot last couple years no? That might have a lot to do with it.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:30 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Would have liked Denis Savard

Old
06-05-2012, 07:40 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Therrien might not be the wisest tactician, but I'd like to remind everybody that Jacques Demers has 2 Jack Adams and 1 Stanley Cup. Being a coach is not just about having good strategies. It's also about being able to inspire your players, and get the most out of them. You can always hire assistant coaches to fill your weaknesses.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
Yeah and he wasn't the one we can blame for Roy being shipped out of town. That's right, Tremblay had nothing to do with that.
Of course St Patrick had absolutely nothing to do with that.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Nnelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Of course St Patrick had absolutely nothing to do with that.
Nope.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:52 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Therrien might not be the wisest tactician, but I'd like to remind everybody that Jacques Demers has 2 Jack Adams and 1 Stanley Cup. Being a coach is not just about having good strategies. It's also about being able to inspire your players, and get the most out of them. You can always hire assistant coaches to fill your weaknesses.
Indications are that the players in Pittsburgh were less than inspired by this man.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Demers and Therrien are VERY different. Demers had his teams willing to go through a wall for him, Therrien by the time he got fired the whole team hated him.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
He's actually a good tactician, Lemaire-esque.

Old
06-05-2012, 08:54 AM
tlureb

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
For your info, Therrien was to be hired by the Devils last year. He came in second to Peter DeBoer. If Lou thought he was pretty good, I trust Marc.
Where does an insecure, illiterate 'Homo Sapiens' General Manager turn to for filling in the Head Coaching position...? Well...he peers some levels down the evolutionary tree...and picks the last living specimen of the Neanderthal specie.

Closed Thread