HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Discussion for all prospects including Adirondack Phantoms (AHL)

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2012, 08:05 PM
RussianRocket10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Yeah, because those teams are winning because of their size. It has nothing to do with their skill and two way play. Let's dump our skill and load up players like Sestito, Shelley, and Mathers to see how many Cups we'll win.
Well we can't win any fewer than we have since 1975.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:20 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

So I clicked on the scrolling prospects info at the top of the page and am very confused. Mangene and Konan are there so the info should be recent enough (no Johnston yet though), but guys like Parks and Akeson are listed as junior, and some of the probabilities of success are downright laughable. Pretty sure Hovinen has a better chance of success than Rowe there guys. Also curious why Harry Z has apparently less talent then Blistrand. Blistrand blows FYI. Holmstrom has a A probability of success but Schenn is a B. OK

Old
06-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
So I clicked on the scrolling prospects info at the top of the page and am very confused. Mangene and Konan are there so the info should be recent enough (no Johnston yet though), but guys like Parks and Akeson are listed as junior, and some of the probabilities of success are downright laughable. Pretty sure Hovinen has a better chance of success than Rowe there guys. Also curious why Harry Z has apparently less talent then Blistrand. Blistrand blows FYI. Holmstrom has a A probability of success but Schenn is a B. OK
You're not reading them correctly, that's why you're confused. Schenn is a B for 8.5, Holmstrom is an A for 5.5.

I don't know about the other stuff, though. It is just their opinion, however, although I wouldn't agree with Hovinen's D, either.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I have a question about Brayden Schenn:

He was THN's best player not in the NHL last year before the trade. Since then, I have heard bascially nothing about him. In fact, when the trades are discussed involving Carter and Richards, his name is hardly mentioned. Has his progress really stalled? Is it just because of his injuries? What type of player is he expected to be? He was the player I was most excited about in the trade.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post

He was THN's best player not in the NHL last year before the trade. Since then, I have heard bascially nothing about him. In fact, when the trades are discussed involving Carter and Richards, his name is hardly mentioned. Has his progress really stalled? Is it just because of his injuries? What type of player is he expected to be? He was the player I was most excited about in the trade.
I'm hoping he becomes a 70 pt player whose head isn't all the way up his ass on D, and if he doesn't not even the Homer apologists will be able to say we got value in the Richards trade

Old
06-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

It's because he isn't in a pressure cooker enviroment, we have many young rookies where he was able to blend in without the pressure.

Schenn is a 20 year old budding star. Between Giroux, Schenn and Couturier, they took over and dominated the penguins series. Schenn laid out several massive hits in each game, that completley changed the momentum of each one, and was fantastic defensively.

He's solid in the face-off circle, and very very impressive for a rookie. He has been caught out a few times backchecking when he has been playing on the wing. Next year will be this kid breakout year. He was a consistent force in the play-offs. Can't wait.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Larry44

Quote:

I'm not sure what articles you're reading, but everyone concerning the trades mentions Schenn and Simmonds.

His progress was stalled by injuries. I can't remember if he got hurt in camp or right after, but he missed some time. Then he got a concussion on a cheapshot and missed more time. Then he got back and broke his foot blocking a shot. In many ways, his season mirrored JVR's in that he kept getting unfortunate injuries.

On the very bright side, he showed tremendous competitiveness in the playoffs (again, dampened by Asham incredibly cheapshot in the Pitt series). He was our most dangerous hitter at times, made numerous excellent, creative passes to spring linemates for breakaways, has composure enough to play the point on the PP in the playoffs as a rookie, etc. I thought he was one of our best forwards vs. New Jersey, esp. since so many were clearly playing hurt (Giroux, Jagr, Briere, Couturier, Simmonds, etc.).

He's going to be a very good two-way centre (can play wing too), who will be a fixture on our PP and PK units for a long time. He's smart, creative, skilled and has character and no fear.

There is a lot to be excited about.

Last edited by Larry44: 06-03-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: How could I forget Giroux's wrist surgeries?
Old
06-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I'm not sure what articles you're reading, but everyone concerning the trades mentions Schenn and Simmonds.

His progress was stalled by injuries. I can't remember if he got hurt in camp or right after, but he missed some time. Then he got a concussion on a cheapshot and missed more time. Then he got back and broke his foot blocking a shot. In many ways, his season mirrored JVR's in that he kept getting unfortunate injuries.

On the very bright side, he showed tremendous competitiveness in the playoffs (again, dampened by Asham incredibly cheapshot in the Pitt series). He was our most dangerous hitter at times, made numerous excellent, creative passes to spring linemates for breakaways, has composure enough to play the point on the PP in the playoffs as a rookie, etc. I thought he was one of our best forwards vs. New Jersey, esp. since so many were clearly playing hurt (Jagr, Briere, Couturier, Simmonds, etc.).

He's going to be a very good two-way centre (can play wing too), who will be a fixture on our PP and PK units for a long time. He's smart, creative, skilled and has character and no fear.

There is a lot to be excited about.
The future is very bright indeed!!!

Old
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Ryker

Yeah, I also thought he played great in the series against the Devils. He's shown a lot, and we can only wonder what he could or will do if he's given the ice time and linemates, say, Henrique is getting. I mean, the expectations were high of him, and they were high in the points producing department, as well, but if you look at other high-scoring rookies, such as RNH and Henrique, they were actually given the opportunity to play that high-scoring role, whereas Schenn and Couts weren't.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

I think schenn is going to eventually become about a 70 point player regularly, a lot like giroux who can play in all aspects of the game punt he has even more grit, perfect "flyer" if you will

Old
06-03-2012, 10:46 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
You're not reading them correctly, that's why you're confused. Schenn is a B for 8.5, Holmstrom is an A for 5.5.

I don't know about the other stuff, though. It is just their opinion, however, although I wouldn't agree with Hovinen's D, either.
That makes more sense now. Thanks. I still disagree with some but that certainly narrows the gap.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Yeah, I also thought he played great in the series against the Devils. He's shown a lot, and we can only wonder what he could or will do if he's given the ice time and linemates, say, Henrique is getting. I mean, the expectations were high of him, and they were high in the points producing department, as well, but if you look at other high-scoring rookies, such as RNH and Henrique, they were actually given the opportunity to play that high-scoring role, whereas Schenn and Couts weren't.
That's why the flyers are one of the most respected teams in the league. It doesn't matter where you were drafted, or what your status before joining the flyers. You earn your ice time, nothing is going to be handed to you on a plate.

The flyers are easily top 3 in development of forwards. It shows year in year out.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:50 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

So, I'm not sure how many people noticed, but it appears as though Meltzer was right about Ranford.

We lost both his rights and the rights to Ricard Blidstrand on June 1st.

Michael Parks and Nick Luukko both remain within the organization.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

They clearly don't think that they are going anywhere. Out of curiosity, do we have the contract space to sign them? we must be sitting around 50 now.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:41 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
They clearly don't think that they are going anywhere. Out of curiosity, do we have the contract space to sign them? we must be sitting around 50 now.
We have 16 contracts either expiring or needing to be resigned so we are fine.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:42 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Well, assuming Mathers and Counsins will slide, we're at 39.

Also though is this laundry list:

UFA: Jagr, Carle
RFA: Voracek, Zolnierczyk, Sestito, Bourdon, Testwuide, Rowe, Holmstrom

Let's say we don't sign Jagr, Carle, Testwuide, or Rowe. That gives us 5 more contracts with Voracek, Zolnierczyk, Sestito, Bourdon, and Holmstrom putting us at 44.

There's 6 spots left with our team looking like this:

Hartnell - Giroux - Briere
vanRiemsdyk - Schenn - Read
Simmonds - Couturier - Voracek
Holmstrom - Talbot - Wellwood
Rinaldo - Zolnierczyk - Sestito

Timonen - Meszaros
Coburn - Gorssmann
Bourdon - Gustafsson
Lilja - Walker
Bartulis

Bryzgalov
Bobrovsky

So we have 6 contract spots to maybe sign some more prospects, a veteran fourth liner, and a top 4 defenseman.

Old
06-04-2012, 12:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I think Testwuide comes back unless he thinks he should be given a spot on the Flyers roster then hes gone.
Rowe and scrabbles are gone
Bourdon,Holmstrom and Sestito will be back

dont have any inside info just giving an opinion.

Old
06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Stizzle

I think Testwuide was a worthwhile experiment, but failed. I'd be surprised if he's back.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I think McGinn and Brown being black aces over him spoke volumes

Old
06-04-2012, 08:48 PM
tuckrr

If we're not resigning carle, shouldn't we move his rights?

Old
06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
If we're not resigning carle, shouldn't we move his rights?
We should try but teams might not want to take the risk, I'm sure he is going to want to ponder upon the open market and get more money with multiple offers

Old
06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I think Testwuide was a worthwhile experiment, but failed. I'd be surprised if he's back.
They love him down on the phantoms though. Does a lot of charity work, is very involved in the community etc etc. I also wouldnt be surprised if he came back.

Old
06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Was taking a look at draft stuff again. Gotta think that if Matt Finn is at 20 you take him. Everything I read about him is nothing but positive. What I like the most about him though his is attitude towards getting better. We see some top defenders who think they are the best and stop working hard, which prohibits them from continueing to grow. Last summer, when Finn wasn't chosen for Canada's U18 squad, he could have easily given up. People questions his conditioning. He is completely different now. Funny what a year does. Also I like his hockey sense. Every scouting report says he has high hockey IQ, something you can't teach.

I still take Lindholm before him, but it seems like Lindholm's stock has risen again, top 15 this time. He had the best VO2 test, meaning he has insane endurance (2nd place in the test was a whole minute behind).

Old
06-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Psuhockey

This years draft is hard to predict. The Flyers desperately need defensemen but I could easily see them packaging a couple of forwards in a trade and pick a forward in the 1s to replenish their stock. That is if they keep their first round pick.

Old
06-05-2012, 07:18 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't think the Flyers are drafting a forward in the first this year. From what I've been informed from my scouting friends, the Flyers seem to be really big on Brady Skjei. From what I was told, their draft board for defensemen at 20 goes something like this:
Skjei
Finn
Lindholm
Koekkoek
Bystrom
Schmaltz

Anyways, the way things are, they're going to end up with a very good prospect on the D. As I've mentioned before, this year is an awesome year for defensemen. All of the defensemen expected to go in the first round all have the potential to be top two guys. I don't think I've seen a draft year like this before where the defensemen have that kind of upside. I know that some scouts think that this is a weak draft, but I think it's weak in terms of impact forwards. Once you get outside Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg and Teravainen, the forwards seem to be a bit of a crap shoot.

Closed Thread