HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Beer league rink frustration...
Poorly run and no set or adhered to schedule.

I'm in the middle of a private lesson/hockey training. Its not cheap what I pay for an hour. Two little girls are peering through the glass at the coach and I. He says "I hate it when these figure skaters come early."
They come out onto the ice while I'm skating through pylons and tires with a puck. It's a no-no simp,y for them to come out since if they get rocked with a puck, the rink could get sued. They're even a half hour early. Their coach comes out and has a 20minute discussion with my guy. I skate over to break it up and ask them " are we done?". Figure skating coach then turns on loud annoying dance hip hop. My guy says "skate to the rhythm of the music". I didn't have the heart to tell these two 6 yr olds to get off my ice even though they started skating through the obstacle course during coach chat.

Good thing I'm a Christian. Feel like I did nothing constructive.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:38 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Beer league rink frustration...
Poorly run and no set or adhered to schedule.

I'm in the middle of a private lesson/hockey training. Its not cheap what I pay for an hour. Two little girls are peering through the glass at the coach and I. He says "I hate it when these figure skaters come early."
They come out onto the ice while I'm skating through pylons and tires with a puck. It's a no-no simp,y for them to come out since if they get rocked with a puck, the rink could get sued. They're even a half hour early. Their coach comes out and has a 20minute discussion with my guy. I skate over to break it up and ask them " are we done?". Figure skating coach then turns on loud annoying dance hip hop. My guy says "skate to the rhythm of the music". I didn't have the heart to tell these two 6 yr olds to get off my ice even though they started skating through the obstacle course during coach chat.

Good thing I'm a Christian. Feel like I did nothing constructive.
Where were the parents of the child?

Old
06-04-2012, 04:42 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Wow.
Sounds like you're better off playing with a fun group.
Guess you didn't have a no-trade clause in your contract?

I'd be pissed.

This was their reasoning, "So I have to let you know that we’ll be going forward without you, this was not an easy decision or one we took lightly but it was agreed that if we want to make a push, to win our division and potentially play in a higher division that the window was closing as we are all getting a little older."

They ended up adding a couple guys last season who have played pretty much their entire lives, most of us only started playing as adults. We play in the bottom division and finished 1st after the regular season last year, but lost during the playoffs.

I guess winning is everything in beer league hockey? I mean to say you won the bottom tier championship in some beer league really that important?

Old
06-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Where were the parents of the child?
There were two little ones; the grandmother it seemed was watching through the doors to the rink area. She was oblivious. I was more ticked with my coach and figure skating coach.

Old
06-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
This was their reasoning, "So I have to let you know that we’ll be going forward without you, this was not an easy decision or one we took lightly but it was agreed that if we want to make a push, to win our division and potentially play in a higher division that the window was closing as we are all getting a little older."

They ended up adding a couple guys last season who have played pretty much their entire lives, most of us only started playing as adults. We play in the bottom division and finished 1st after the regular season last year, but lost during the playoffs.

I guess winning is everything in beer league hockey? I mean to say you won the bottom tier championship in some beer league really that important?
That's surprising to me. Our league is a little more user friendly so to speak. We have a guy who played ex pro and a guy who literally does push push glide to skate. We want to win but we make concessions to keep the team together. Fun trumps winning to the point of kicking vets off the team.
Guys that aren't skilled on our team are called "locker room guys" meaning they add fun and personality.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:18 PM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
It is not. Nothing wrong with competing hard. (Coming from a 25 year old who does the same.)
Exactly, There's a big difference between playing hard and playing like a *****

Old
06-04-2012, 05:20 PM
VanCity Millionaires

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
It's not just hockey, trust me. I'm 44 and play soccer in what is supposed to be a rec 'just for fun' women's league made up of 'ladies' mostly my age. I can't tell you how many times I've been pushed to the ground and roughed up. Thankfully we have good refs who call penalties, but it always amazes me how some people take rec league sports WAY too seriously.

I'm going to play amateur psychologist for a moment and guess that maybe they had no talent for sports in their younger days and are taking out their frustrations now, or maybe they're trying to relive whatever glory they once had. But once you're out of college, if you haven't made the big time you never will, so give it a rest!
While I hear what you're saying, at the same time I'm an intense, competitive guy who hates to lose. I am NOT dirty and never argue calls. I play an aggressive game, within the rules, and cannot stand lazy players.

This weekend an opponent told me to relax as I was trying to get position before the play started. Relax? I'm not here for a Sunday stroll. I can get exercise on my own time, I'm here to win.

I'm very fortunate to have a tight team that has played together for 3.5 years now. We won the league last year for the first time, and are in good position heading into the playoffs next weekend. I don't have the same problem with team-mates that some of you seem to have my only beef is with the refs, though not all of them.

We have one ref in particular who seems to think that this is pro-sports. You know the one? He's all snarly and macho, the guy is seriously on a power-trip and it pisses me off. We're paying you to be here bud, it's pretty easy to reverse that...

Ps. I also hate diving or flopping.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Quote:

Sounds like the only thing left to do is to join another team in that division and make it your mission to beat them every time.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
Sounds like the only thing left to do is to join another team in that division and make it your mission to beat them every time.
That would be awesome, but I don't think it would be easy to do as it is a pretty small league. Thinking about just not playing anymore.

Old
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
That would be awesome, but I don't think it would be easy to do as it is a pretty small league. Thinking about just not playing anymore.
If you still enjoy playing, why let them make the decision for you? Find another team.
It's not like you're playing for the next 7 mil $ contract. Go enjoy the game.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Wooty

Quote:
That's terrible. I am sorry that happened to you. Is there a person that runs the league to go to?

Old
06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
neksys

Quote:
Astounding and disappointing.

Are you sure there aren't any other options for beer league play in Surrey? Plenty of rinks out that way.....

Old
06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Astounding and disappointing.

Are you sure there aren't any other options for beer league play in Surrey? Plenty of rinks out that way.....
Lots of leagues in the Vancouver area, just need to find a team to play on that don't act like they still have a shot at the NHL. Just getting cut from a team that is playing in the bottom division of the league is kinda a shot to your ego and makes you think if you should even bother.

Old
06-04-2012, 06:53 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post
That's terrible. I am sorry that happened to you. Is there a person that runs the league to go to?
Doubt there is anything they can do, I just hope the couple of ringers they added gets them bumped up to the next division where they get crushed. I can never understand why a guy who has been playing his entire life would want to be on a team of a bunch of beginners and then expect them to be able to play at their level.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Achronos19

Got the lamest penalty I've seen the other day. I don't think I've ever argued a call and always go straight to the box without saying a word.

Coming down the right with speed through the neutral zone and fake to the middle which gets the defender going inside then I go back outside around him and his ankles are all twisted up so he just throws his stick out my way to try and stick check the puck. He gets the end of his blade in between my legs and my next stride takes the stick out of his hands and he just lets it go.

Now I'm in on a breakaway with this guys stick stuck in my feet. I start making my move on the goalie and I'm a second from going backhand and finishing this when I step on the stick and my legs just split apart. I get the splits going and fall on my ass and hit the goalie.

I hear the whistle and I'm sitting in the net with the goalie thinking, "okay maybe I'll get a penalty shot." Then I hear the ref talking about a penalty so I think "alright that works too." I skate to the bench and as I'm opening the door the ref calls out to me "9 you're in the box. Goaltender interference."

I started busting out laughing but took my little time out anyway. Spent awhile laughing in the box too.

Old
06-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Doubt there is anything they can do, I just hope the couple of ringers they added gets them bumped up to the next division where they get crushed. I can never understand why a guy who has been playing his entire life would want to be on a team of a bunch of beginners and then expect them to be able to play at their level.
It seems that you have money and the league would want to take it and put you on a team. If I want to play and I throw down the money, they find a place for me.

I have a bad anxiety disorder and I have quit teams because I imagine they hate me but it never happened. Don't get down on yourself (maybe I am projecting what I do).

Again I am sorry. Stay strong and keep skating and hit the pick ups.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:55 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
One annoyance of mine is the confusion over calling penalties on body checks in our rec league, or the lack of respect for the rule by some players. Last week I got plowed over after an opponent took a slapshot and then blatantly crashed through my body, snapping my neck back. It was not an accident and pretty dangerous only because I was unprepared. My teammate had his rib bruised and was out for a month because of the same type of deal, not imagining he could get crushed into the boards. The guy did get the penalty on that one and apologized after the game but ****, it didn't help my boys' injured chest.

I am careful to make contact but not check in any circumstance. I try to be completely sportsmanlike, but I still am realizing not everyone is on that page. Even in a no check game you've got to keep your head up, stay firmly grounded, and be ready for someone to lay a check into you.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:02 AM
OpenIceHit42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
players "Riding the Stick" as part of their goal celebration after they score the goal to put their team up by 17
A 2,4 or 5 minute penalty retaliation would be well worth it.

On another note of the "beer league frustration" is the inconsistency with the officiating. I played in a roller league last summer with some guys from the ice team and one of the officials thought he was trying out for an NHL job, I've never seen "delay of game" for puck over the glass called in roller hockey.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:17 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Speaking of the officiating quality, one time I was literally about 4 meters away from some guy who loses an edge and goes down on his own. I get called for tripping.

I'm not the type of person to ever argue a call either, so I just went over to the box and joked with the scorekeeper for a bit who had an actual view of what happened and knew I didn't actually trip the guy.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

The biggest frustration I have in my league is guys who think they are pests or agitators. You are not Sean Avery or Danny Carcillo, you just blow at hockey so you think this is how you can help out.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
The biggest frustration I have in my league is guys who think they are pests or agitators. You are not Sean Avery or Danny Carcillo, you just blow at hockey so you think this is how you can help out.
How is that any different from Sean Avery or Danny Carcillo?

Old
06-05-2012, 01:26 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia McMillan View Post
How is that any different from Sean Avery or Danny Carcillo?
Haha, touche. Although they are doing it/did it at the NHL level. Not in beer league.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

Quote:
Haha, touche. Although they are doing it/did it at the NHL level. Not in beer league.
Yeah, if I were a known agitator in the NHL and getting paid NHL-level money to go out on the ice to piss people off, that's one thing. I'm not going to do it in a beer league where we all paid to play. If I thought being an ******* to people was fun, there are plenty of places I could do it for free.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
esidebill

Quote:
I'm sure as much as people knock them for being scrubs, they'd wipe the floor of most beer leagues :p

Old
06-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenIceHit42 View Post
A 2,4 or 5 minute penalty retaliation would be well worth it.

On another note of the "beer league frustration" is the inconsistency with the officiating. I played in a roller league last summer with some guys from the ice team and one of the officials thought he was trying out for an NHL job, I've never seen "delay of game" for puck over the glass called in roller hockey.
I play in 2 inline leagues, and each call that whenever it occurs. "Funny" how they do that yet there's a running clock and much more goes on at nearly every game that wastes time

Last edited by Ozz: 06-05-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Closed Thread