Notices

Icethetics Jersey Concept

Old
06-03-2012, 10:54 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Icethetics Jersey Concept

Not mine but I think it's one of the better concepts we've seen, at least in execution (i.e. it's not drawn in paint). Since it's quiet around here these days I thought I'd get a discussion going on it. To keep the discussion on topic, let's judge the design itself purely as a fan design - what we like or don't like about it, other ideas for Jets jerseys - and stay away from any speculation on official jersey re-designs or alternates, especially regarding the possibility of re-using any of the old designs.

The concept:
http://www.icethetics.info/concepts/...s-of-jets.html

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 10:58 PM
StaticPrevails

vCash: 80
I really like this concept. The sticks embedded in the jet is a nice touch.

StaticPrevails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticPrevails View Post
I really like this concept. The sticks embedded in the jet is a nice touch.
That's the first thing I noticed as well. Great concept for a logo.

The overall look of the jersey is actually really good and I'm not a huge fan of the old Jets jersey, like others here are.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:17 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 5949
Agreed, the sticks on the jet give it a bit more of an edge than the jet currently in the logo. The lack of the maple leaf also makes the outline of the jet more noticeable.

Although the shoulder patches don't do anything for me and I'd generally prefer something with silver/grey or light blue as the secondary colour rather than red, overall I like the sweater design - the clean sharp look of the jersey really matches that of the tweaked logo and gives the design a cohesiveness not usually seen in fan-made concepts.

I'd be curious to see how that logo would work if the jet (with sticks) was red and the circle was blue to keep the roundel theme going sans maple leaf.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 05:57 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

not bad actually.
was there a home one with that logo?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
It's clever but I don't like it for no reason

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
It's clever but I don't like it for no reason
I"m the same way. Everything i know about graphic design and aesthetics tells me i should like it....but i don't.

I think its the red. Something about the quantity of red and blue on that much white is just too....generic I think. that or "American".

Maybe I'd like a home version but as it stands i don't like it.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Jet
Bogo Believer

I really really love this. I was one of those people who didn't initially like the original Jets logo/ jersey, but grew to love it.

I would take this over that in a heartbeat. This really pops and I think blends old with new.

06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I"m the same way. Everything i know about graphic design and aesthetics tells me i should like it....but i don't.

I think its the red. Something about the quantity of red and blue on that much white is just too....generic I think. that or "American".

Glad I'm not the only one...

Huffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:08 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:

Yup too much red i would actually really like to see this jersey concept with the Jets current colors

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Ziggy66

Really nice design overall. But as other posters have said it reminds me too much of America

Ziggy66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:02 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Were the wings meant to be in the shape of Manitoba...sideways?

I like the Jets. The hockey sticks incorporated into the Jet gives it that slight cheese that most NHL hockey logos have.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

I....really don't like it. Seems sterile to me somehow, and I actually don't like how some points of the jet image break out of the circle. A bit too much negative/white space in the top half of the logo.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 07:11 PM
ghost88*

Do. Not. Want.

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 04:13 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

I don't understand your problems with that concept?

I think its pretty nice, I'm not sure if I'd prefer it over our current design, though. I'd have to see the backsides, the home version and to see it in action on the eyes but I COULD like it better than our jerseys.

GermanJetsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
It's hideous. The logo looks amateurish; the jersey and colors are somewhat of a cross between the Capitals and the Jets old WHA jersey, yet in an incredibly bland and sterile manner. Was likely designed by one of the millions of folks who think that the acquisition of Photoshop (or any similar program) suddenly magically turns then into actual professional graphic designers.

The new logo and jersey colors have grown on me and I'm way too old to accept change now.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
It's hideous. The logo looks amateurish; the jersey and colors are somewhat of a cross between the Capitals and the Jets old WHA jersey, yet in an incredibly bland and sterile manner. Was likely designed by one of the millions of folks who think that the acquisition of Photoshop (or any similar program) suddenly magically turns then into actual professional graphic designers.

The new logo and jersey colors have grown on me and I'm way too old to accept change now.

but you weren't a year ago?

just kidding Gump, you wouldn't want to pull any punches would you?

I don't think its that bad, just a little too much white space and as stated, conjures a little too much fourth of July.

I really don't mind the logo as much as i do the generally jersey design.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
but you weren't a year ago?
Nope.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
I'm so excited about your own concept you'll show to us which blows the ******* out of this amateur s***. =) Can't wait.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
I'm so excited about your own concept you'll show to us which blows the ******* out of this amateur s***. =) Can't wait.
I didn't say I could do better personally, though I do personally know several professional graphic designers in fact that could. They are all either employed by others or are self employed and as such do not have the time to submit design work to free contests or as free samples to websites. They get paid for what they do so the standard of their work is much higher than a majority of the submitted garbage one sees online; for example the myriad of ridiculous submissions that were offered up as suggestions for Jets jerseys last season.

Art is subjective. Some people get excited by amateurish contest submissions. To each their own.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Well yeah, I don't think I could do better personally at this moment (no graphic designer experience or skills with photoshop) but like anything subjective, I'm still entitled to 'not like it' or hate it for whatever reason.

The qualifications for disliking anything, whether it be a logo, a piece of art, a song, movie, book, meal, tv show, car, piece of clothing, whatever, isn't dependant on your ability to produce something similar or 'better'. If I say, 'that's an ugly t-shirt' or 'she's a terrible singer', I should be able to say that, without being a fashion designer or having any vocal talent.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:31 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

To each their own.

And that's why you should go a little more easy on someone who is probably NOT a professionell when he is actually doing a nice job for a concept that half the people like. No need to throw Photoshop users under the same bus just because you don't like it. Amateurish? Come on! At least 60-70 % of jersey concepts you get to see on HF, let alone on the whole internet, look more amateurish than this one.

I just can't understand someone, saying something like that just because he knows people that could do better because they get paid for doing graphics. How is that an argument? So do I but who cares? It's all right to tell why you don't like it but you don't have to act like this is MS Paint **** from a 15 years old. Who do you think you are.

Old
06-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
To each their own.

And that's why you should go a little more easy on someone who is probably NOT a professionell when he is actually doing a nice job for a concept that half the people like. No need to throw Photoshop users under the same bus just because you don't like it. Amateurish? Come on! At least 60-70 % of jersey concepts you get to see on HF, let alone on the whole internet, look more amateurish than this one.

I just can't understand someone, saying something like that just because he knows people that could do better because they get paid for doing graphics. How is that an argument? So do I but who cares? It's all right to tell why you don't like it but you don't have to act like this is MS Paint **** from a 15 years old. Who do you think you are.
Someone with a higher standard of art appreciation than you, apparently.

It wasn't an argument FYI, it was an opinion. You are certainly entitled to yours as well. Sorry to have offended your Photoshop sensitivity.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Jet
Bogo Believer

Quote:
I didn't say I could do better personally, though I do personally know several professional graphic designers in fact that could. They are all either employed by others or are self employed and as such do not have the time to submit design work to free contests or as free samples to websites. They get paid for what they do so the standard of their work is much higher than a majority of the submitted garbage one sees online; for example the myriad of ridiculous submissions that were offered up as suggestions for Jets jerseys last season.

Art is subjective. Some people get excited by amateurish contest submissions. To each their own.
Your comment about art is bang on. You won't please everybody that's for sure. I disagree about the amateur part, I think it looks extremely polished, especially when you put it up against some other NHL logos.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Yukon Joe

vCash: 624
I assume that was posted as a potential 3rd jersey?

I think there's no way they go with a red and blue 3rd jersey. It's too far removed from their existing colour scheme. It also manages to be too retro, while not being retro enough. If you're going to go retro, go full out and do something almost identical to the old uniforms.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote