HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects-Major Junior (CHL), NCAA, Europe

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2012, 11:36 PM
lanky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Watching Gormley on NHL Network now. Has had some nice plays this game.
I recorded the game and am watching the third period right now. He reads and reacts so quickly. He dishes passes or puts dangerous shots on net just fractions of a second after getting the puck, it seems like it's a knee jerk reaction but it's always the smart play to make. He's a stark contrast to Griffin Reinhart in this game, who always counts three steamboats before doing anything.

Old
05-25-2012, 12:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Gormley was the best D at the WJCs and he's the best D at the Memorial Cup. He's an incredible prospect with legitimate number one defenseman upside. He is just so effective in all three zones in all situations. The cliche "ice water in his veins" was invented for this kid. He plays like a ten year NHL veteran.

05-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Gormley was the best D at the WJCs and he's the best D at the Memorial Cup. He's an incredible prospect with legitimate number one defenseman upside. He is just so effective in all three zones in all situations. The cliche "ice water in his veins" was invented for this kid. He plays like a ten year NHL veteran.
It is this why I think he'll make the jump straight to the lineup. He's so composed and isn't physically immature that he couldn't handle the responsibility.

OEL/Aucoin (or veteran replacement)
Yandle/DeMo
Klesla/Gormley
Stone/Schlemko/Summers (we really need to trade at least 1 of these guys and Nick Ross for some help up front)

Old
05-25-2012, 01:10 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Actually his physical maturity may have been what cost him a roster spot last camp. Apparently he had added a whole lot of bulk last summer in hopes of making the jump. It was too much. He lost too much mobility with all of the extra muscle. He'll never be a bruiser but he's solid and strong. He will also never be a speedster, but he's plenty mobile enough.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:27 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindiggy View Post
It is this why I think he'll make the jump straight to the lineup. He's so composed and isn't physically immature that he couldn't handle the responsibility.

OEL/Aucoin (or veteran replacement)
Yandle/DeMo
Klesla/Gormley
Stone/Schlemko/Summers (we really need to trade at least 1 of these guys and Nick Ross for some help up front)
What about Rundblad, and do we resign Rosival at a fair price as the vet replacement?

Old
05-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
What about Rundblad, and do we resign Rosival at a fair price as the vet replacement?
Rundblad has to learn to play "D" before Tipp is going to put him in. He's a creative offensive talent, no doubt, but he's going to need to prove himself in the AHL again next season.

Leaving Rundblad down in the minors is the reason why I'd like to sign one aging veteran , but Aucoin scares me with the amount of injuries he sustained this season and Rozy is brutal 5on5, great on PK, but we need more if we are going to be a contender.

Old
05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
OOEEL

Quote:
This, so much.

I remember following the 2010 draft and losing my mind at the fact that Fowler was falling so far down the board, despite his top four projection and his appearance on the super powered Spitfire team that was coming off a Memorial Cup win. When Anaheim grabbed him I was distraught. Knowing nothing of Gormley at the time I spent the rest of the night complaining to any of my friends that would listen.

...I feel like a giant dummy now, Gorms 4 Life

Old
05-26-2012, 10:54 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Just wanted to let people know that they can catch Gormley's last two games on the NHL network this morning at 10 AZ time.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:09 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I got to watch four games yesterday. I'm stuck at work today but I have three more to watch on Monday when I'm off again. I love when they show the whole tournament and not just the semis and finals. Such an awesome tournament to watch. I've been watching religiously since '08.

Old
05-26-2012, 11:57 AM
hbk

Quote:
I got to watch four games yesterday. I'm stuck at work today but I have three more to watch on Monday when I'm off again. I love when they show the whole tournament and not just the semis and finals. Such an awesome tournament to watch. I've been watching religiously since '08.
Gormely has been outstanding. There's a reason why we are starting to see a rash of Gormely proposals. Personally I think Maloney would be crazy to move him. I honestly think in a couple of years he'll be firmly entrenched as our #2 behind OEL.

Old
05-26-2012, 04:15 PM
OOEEL

Brendan Shinnimin named Top Scorer of the year and CHL Player of the Year. The last two players to get both awards the same year were Rudlov and Crosby

Old
05-27-2012, 05:56 PM
PHX FireBirds18

You can catch Gormley in the Memorial Cup Championship today at 4 AZ time on the NHL network.

Old
05-28-2012, 12:31 AM
ScottsdaleYote

What a game! Gormley's Shawinigan's team wins in OT 2-1. Zlobin scored both goals. He scored a ton for them this year, but I don't see him anywhere on the draft prospect list. What gives?

Athanasiou really impresseed me both times I watch him play, but only grades out as a mid 2nd rounder. I'd love to nab him if we trade down from the 27th spot.

Old
05-28-2012, 06:50 PM
battfan888

Your 2010 2nd round pick Philip Lane has signed... please send him back to Brampton this fall we need offense lol

Old
05-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
What a game! Gormley's Shawinigan's team wins in OT 2-1. Zlobin scored both goals. He scored a ton for them this year, but I don't see him anywhere on the draft prospect list. What gives?

Athanasiou really impresseed me both times I watch him play, but only grades out as a mid 2nd rounder. I'd love to nab him if we trade down from the 27th spot.
I've always found Zlobin to be a very average all around player. Sure he potted 40 goals this season, but he's also got a lot of great talent feeding him the puck. You look at a guy like Kabanov on the same team and you can see the NHL potential and explosiveness to his game. Every once in awhile he'll bring you right out of your seat. To me Zlobin doesn't have that. Doesn't really have the speed to be a top 2 line player in the NHL, doesn't have the defensive awareness to be on the bottom 6 or kill penalties, so where does that leave him? He can finish but in today's NHL you have to be able to do more than that. I don't see Zlobin having the all around game needed to make it. He already went undrafted last year. I've been wrong many many times before though

All that said he had a great Memorial Cup and that alone will probably get him picked in the 4th round or so.

Old
05-29-2012, 08:38 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleYote View Post
Athanasiou is way too inconsistent for my taste. Seems like the classic all tools, no toolbox player to me.

Old
06-04-2012, 07:03 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Has anyone heard when Prospect Develop Camp will be? last year it was the first week of July in Peoria. Would like to head out there again.

Old
06-04-2012, 09:56 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOEEL View Post
This, so much.

I remember following the 2010 draft and losing my mind at the fact that Fowler was falling so far down the board, despite his top four projection and his appearance on the super powered Spitfire team that was coming off a Memorial Cup win. When Anaheim grabbed him I was distraught. Knowing nothing of Gormley at the time I spent the rest of the night complaining to any of my friends that would listen.

...I feel like a giant dummy now, Gorms 4 Life
One thing Fowler definitely has on Gormley is mobility. Gormley is slow on his skates. There is really know sugar coating that. Luckily his positioning, vision, and puck moving are basically flawless. Really helps one forget all about that slow footedness.

Almost reminds me of Zbynek Michalek in the D zone, and Tomas Kaberle in the offensive zone, while never actually being involved in the neutral zone because he will generally just hit somebody with a long stretch pass or dish it off to somebody near by and let them lug it up ice. He and Rundblad could be incredibly dangerous together on a pp.

Last edited by rt: 06-04-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old
06-05-2012, 04:16 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Just wondering if the Coyotes will choose to accelerate Connor Murphy's development like they did with Keith Yandle. Yandle went from prep school hockey to the Q for one year before jumping to the AHL aged 19.

I think Murphy could also do the same at age 19 having been drafted out of the USNTDP.

Normally I'd advocate keeping him in juniors to try and stay healthy and "develop" for a year.. but if he's good enough, why not do the same as Yandle? He certainly didnt struggle in the OHL with 26 points from 35 games. With his medical history Murphy's never going to be a classic slow burn / development guy playing a ton of games.

Old
06-05-2012, 09:51 AM
mitch27

Does anyone have a scouting report on Murphy? What sort of defenseman is he? Anyone want to throw out an NHL comparison?

Old
06-05-2012, 10:17 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Does anyone have a scouting report on Murphy? What sort of defenseman is he? Anyone want to throw out an NHL comparison?
I'll defer to hbk, rt and probably a few other folks around here, but from what I've seen/read, he's big but lean, mobile but not especially speedy, and solid in both ends. I think he projects as a pretty good 2nd pairing guy, which on this team would be just fine. Not a bruiser but not afraid of contact, either. Best tool is hockey sense, and nothing else really stands out in a good or a bad way.

I'm having trouble coming up with a great comparison. Maybe Jordan Leopold, but not as good a skater?

Old
06-05-2012, 10:37 AM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
I'll defer to hbk, rt and probably a few other folks around here, but from what I've seen/read, he's big but lean, mobile but not especially speedy, and solid in both ends. I think he projects as a pretty good 2nd pairing guy, which on this team would be just fine. Not a bruiser but not afraid of contact, either. Best tool is hockey sense, and nothing else really stands out in a good or a bad way.

I'm having trouble coming up with a great comparison. Maybe Jordan Leopold, but not as good a skater?
Thanks. I hated this pick, but there's no denying that his numbers this year were great (when he actually played...).

Old
06-05-2012, 10:54 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Thanks. I hated this pick, but there's no denying that his numbers this year were great (when he actually played...).
The talent is definitely there, and he hasn't looked out of place from missed development time (though I'm sure he'll continue to be brought along slowly). The biggest question mark is whether he can keep from getting hurt all the time.

Old
06-05-2012, 05:45 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
The talent is definitely there, and he hasn't looked out of place from missed development time (though I'm sure he'll continue to be brought along slowly). The biggest question mark is whether he can keep from getting hurt all the time.
The next Ahnelov? Such a shame that guy couldn't stay healthy for us. He could of been another Rusty or Volchenkov type of player.

Old
06-05-2012, 06:03 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
The next Ahnelov? Such a shame that guy couldn't stay healthy for us. He could of been another Rusty or Volchenkov type of player.
Remains to be seen whether there's something about his game or his body that make him so injury prone or he's just been incredibly unlucky.

Closed Thread