HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jay Bouwmeester

Old
06-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Jay Bouwmeester

What would it take to get him on the flyers roster. I don't want to throw a proposal up here as I have no idea what his relative value is in Calgary.

Would love to see him on the top pair for the flyers with timonen probably retiring next year, even if some flyers fans were to disagree.

thanks

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
WreckItRask

As a Bruins fan, I'd love to see him on your top pair as well. Make an offer, and make sure it's an overpayment.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:02 AM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 50
I really don't think Calgary trades him as are defense is to bare as it is, but if we did I would looking for something like a 1st and a good roster player. A JVR or Voracek.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:03 AM
The Gnome

The flames cannot afford to give him up unless we are able to sign a suitable replacment in FA or the return provides a top 4 dman.

He's just too valuable to the flames who have a horrible blueline at the moment. We do not have players that can pick up his minutes unless a replacment comes in.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:09 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Be sure you've got salary going back as his cap hit is atrocious.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Be sure you've got salary going back as his cap hit is atrocious.
6.6 million is high, but it's not outrageous for a 1# defenseman. Wait untill you see what Carle gets in FA for being nothing more than an average 3#

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:31 AM
bananaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
I really don't think Calgary trades him as are defense is to bare as it is, but if we did I would looking for something like a 1st and a good roster player. A JVR or Voracek.
Lets be reality here: That's never going to happen.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
LOLOLOL. So Bouwmeester who magically has stunk really badly since he has arrived in Calgary deserves a 1st and a good roster player?

I'd hang up so fast and chuckle like I am now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaz View Post
Lets be reality here: That's never going to happen.
Thank you!! Was getting worried that Flames fans were going insane...

He isn't THAT good.

1st Goal: Takes the wrong guy isn't even facing the play...
3rd Goal: Beat by the outside speed of Daniel Sedin...and Daniel Sedin isn't even that fast.
5th Goal: As you can see Bouwmeester pinches and gets caught

Last edited by The Kassian Train: 06-05-2012 at 11:41 AM.
The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Blaaah

vCash: 740
Quote:
Jay is so overrated its incredible.
No way you'll get that from any team.
especially with his salary.

Blaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Mister Hockey

It's not like he's terrible, but he has never lived to his hype.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Really? That's funny. Everytime I have watched the Flames play he has been absolutely garbage. 6.75 million for a defenseman that is neither a #1 Dman nor an OFD which many Flames fans expected him to be?

Yeah good ****ing argument buddy. Jay Bouwmeester is one of the softest dmen in the game for a man his size. Hands down. I wouldn't even have paid him 6 the way he is playing.

The fact of the matter is he is OVERRATED.
there is more to the game than points and hits.

Bouwmeester is one of the smartest guys on the ice, he is good with the puck, always aware as to whats going on, logs a ton of minutes and has been misused by epic proportions since acquired by Calgary. He is not infallible but most the time his mistakes come from doing to much because of the guys he plays with.

Last edited by SixthSens: 06-05-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:52 AM
sem1

the ignorance people have towards boumeester always makes me laugh. "terrible" is not a word to describe him, and showing a video of three bad plays hes made dosent show anything. you could make a mistake video of every player in the league. but thanks for coming out buddy.

is he overpaid, yes. is he worth a first + vorcek/jvr, no, probably not. is he "terrible", not even close.

since coming to calgary he's been converted into a strictly defencive d-man, playing crazy minutes everynight against the other teams top line. the guy has been playing the role of a shutdown d-man, and thats not what he is. considering hes had a role forced on him he shouldnt be doing, like it or not hes done a great job. i really am tired of all the ignorant statements saying how bad he is. completley uneducated statements.

sem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
there is more to the game than points and hits.

Bouwmeester is one of the smartest guys on the ice, he is good with the puck, always aware as to whats going on, logs a ton of minutes and has been misused by epic proportions since acquired by Calgary. He is not infallible but most the time his mistakes come from doing to much because of the guys he plays with.
Bouwmeester improved a bit last year but considering for the 6.75 he makes he is overpaid, overhyped, and if he were getting paid 5.5 which is what I would have paid him at the time he was going to be come a UFA I would agree with you but for a guy who is playing 6.75 and was expected to be that piece to to help the FLames make the playoffs and do some damage, he has been anything BUT.

Last edited by SixthSens: 06-05-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: edit
The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
sem1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
you obviously haven't watched or your understanding of the game is seriously lacking. there is more to the game than points and hits.

hes a vancouver fan. that explains everything. i wouldnt even waste my time with him.

sem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Was Bouwmeester not courted by Philadelphia when he hit free agency and it was suggested by either him or those close to him that he had no interest in playing in Philadelphia because of the undue pressure from their ravenous fans? Bouwmeester and Philadelphia don't seem like a good match on a personal level...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Really? That's funny. Everytime I have watched the Flames play he has been absolutely garbage. 6.75 million for a defenseman that is neither a #1 Dman nor an OFD which many Flames fans expected him to be? IF you're not going to be an OFD which you are paid to be at least pretend to be a a good shut down dman which he isn't good at pretending to be either.

Yeah good ****ing argument buddy. Jay Bouwmeester is one of the softest dmen in the game for a man his size. Hands down. I wouldn't even have paid him 6 the way he is playing.

He's not overrated; he's overpaid. Those are two different concepts. I wouldn't even say he's overhyped because no one is hyping him anymore as the next great one. Three, four years ago sure, but definitely not for the past 3 years.

Bouwmeester isn't worth the $6.68M cap hit that he has, but he is a solid top-pairing defenceman. I don't think he's a #1 defenceman, but he's easily a very good #2 guy. He would be great with a player like Erik Karlsson, Drew Doughty, etc. He played extremely well with Duncan Keith at the WHC last month.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Was Bouwmeester not courted by Philadelphia when he hit free agency and it was suggested by either him or those close to him that he had no interest in playing in Philadelphia because of the undue pressure from their ravenous fans? Bouwmeester and Philadelphia don't seem like a good match on a personal level...
Bouwmeester never hit FA. His rights were traded to Calgary for a 2nd-round pick and the rights to Jordan Leopold. Both players signed with their new teams before July 1st, so they never made it to FA.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:03 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Bouwmeester never hit FA. His rights were traded to Calgary for a 2nd-round pick and the rights to Jordan Leopold. Both players signed with their new teams before July 1st, so they never made it to FA.
He didn't hit free agency, but PHI could've been a team going after his rights.

As for Jbo, if he was making couple mil less or was putting up 45 points he'd have a lot better reputation than people give him.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:03 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Personal attack #2. Are we going to continue with this because it makes feel you better about yourself? Bouwmeester improved a bit last year but considering for the 6.75 he makes he is overpaid, overhyped, and if he were getting paid 5.5 which is what I would have paid him at the time he was going to be come a UFA I would agree with you but for a guy who is playing 6.75 and was expected to be that piece to to help the FLames make the playoffs and do some damage, he has been anything BUT.
So that means he's terrible...

I'd say 90% of flames fans are happy with him. It is the supporting cast outside of Gio and Bouw that is horrible.

When you have Butler logging 1st line minute beside Bouwmeester for most of the season it doesn't take a lot of thought as to why Bouwmeester's +/- was so brutal.

But I guess your thinking never even made it that far

Old
06-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1200
Quote:
LOLOLOL. So Bouwmeester who magically has stunk really badly since he has arrived in Calgary deserves a 1st and a good roster player?

I'd hang up so fast and chuckle like I am now.

Thank you!! Was getting worried that Flames fans were going insane...

He isn't THAT good.

1st Goal: Takes the wrong guy isn't even facing the play...
3rd Goal: Beat by the outside speed of Daniel Sedin...and Daniel Sedin isn't even that fast.
5th Goal: As you can see Bouwmeester pinches and gets caught
Please allow me to help you learn a little about hockey as a sport.

1st goal - Boumeester had his man, the trailing player should have been picked up by our "outstanding defensive forward" Backlund (wearing #60) or Bourque (#17) although let's face it, Bourque couldn't backcheck his way out of a wet paper bag.

3rd goal - Daniel Sedin beat him like a rented mule on that one. He deked, Bouwmeester bought it. Last I heard though, those Sedin guys aren't that bad.

5th goal - Nystrom was covering his pinch, and quit skating halfway through his own zone. Other defenseman (Sarich?) failed to take away the pass and made a piss poor attempt at a block. Bouwmeester covered his man, who was the trailing forward.

Of the three goals you referenced, Bouwmeester could be faulted on one. Is he the second coming of Bobby Orr? No. Is he worth every penny of $6.6 million cap hit, not until the cap goes to $70.3 million at least. Will the Flames trade him? Not unless they tie up another defenseman somewhere else.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He didn't hit free agency, but PHI could've been a team going after his rights.

As for Jbo, if he was making couple mil less or was putting up 45 points he'd have a lot better reputation than people give him.
The first point is irrelevant since Mike Farkas thought the Flyers attempted to sign Bouwmeester in FA. Also, Bouwmeester has very little to no say on to where his rights will be traded. The Flames, for instance, had no guarantee that Bouwmeester would sign in Calgary and it took several days before a contract was negotiated. Daryl Sutter was willing to deal a 2nd-round pick just to obtain a two-week window to exclusively negotiate a contract with Bouwmeester.

Agreed on the 2nd point.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Hackeybuff*

Jay at 6.8mil is not worth anything beyond a 2nd round pick .

He cannot alter a game in any way . All he does is eat minutes and try to stay out of trouble and you can get Bryan Allen to do that for half the cost.

Hackeybuff* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:18 PM
wej20

I hope Philly go after Jbo, Crosby owns him.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackeybuff View Post
Jay at 6.8mil is not worth anything beyond a 2nd round pick .

He cannot alter a game in any way . All he does is eat minutes and try to stay out of trouble and you can get Bryan Allen to do that for half the cost.
Bouwmeester >>>>>>> Allen...cannot believe someone would think otherwise.

Regardless of Bouwmeester's worth, all that matters is his worth to CGY. It would take an overpayment to get him out of CGY as we have nobody else who can replace him.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Really? That's funny. Everytime I have watched the Flames play he has been absolutely garbage. 6.75 million for a defenseman that is neither a #1 Dman nor an OFD which many Flames fans expected him to be? IF you're not going to be an OFD which you are paid to be at least pretend to be a a good shut down dman which he isn't good at pretending to be either.

I agree with you. Some Flame fans have an irrational love for JBo. He can log minutes and is OK defensively. He doesn't bring much offense for the amount he plays and is very soft.

People will always tell you how good he is defensively, but the numbers (rel corsi, +/- and SoC) say otherwise.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote