HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryzgalov's Numbers Next Year

View Poll Results: What will Bryz's numbers (save%) look like?
Below .900 4 5.80%
.900-.905 2 2.90%
.905-.910 12 17.39%
.910-.915 17 24.64%
.915-.920 27 39.13%
.920-.925 4 5.80%
Above .925 3 4.35%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-04-2012, 08:50 PM
ArmchairGM

vCash: 500
Bryzgalov's Numbers Next Year

For the sake of variables, assume ceteris paribus (so based on his performance alone), what will Bryz's numbers look like next year?

Also, what numbers (W, SV%, GAA, SO) do you think would be considered a successful year?

Last edited by ArmchairGM: 06-04-2012 at 08:59 PM.
ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

I'll say around .920.

Yes, I'm an optimist.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
ArmchairGM

I think anything over 35 wins, .915, below 2.35, and above 6 shutouts would have to be considered a success.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:29 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
I think anything over 35 wins, .915, below 2.35, and above 6 shutouts would have to be considered a success.
if the team stays the way they are defensively damn straight it's a success.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
the lers

Quote:
For the sake of variables, assume ceteris paribus (so based on his performance alone), what will Bryz's numbers look like next year?

Also, what numbers (W, SV%, GAA, SO) do you think would be considered a successful year?
if he stays healthy and we play well in front of him i think he can def hit 40 wins next year. .918 2.36 7SO would be nice

the lers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bryz is a .920 avg goalie and can easily get 30 wins per season. He is no Quick or Hank however. For Bryz to put up better numbers you need a Suter and Weber on the D IMO. Two players that dont grow on trees..especially Weber

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:44 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Bryz is a .920 avg goalie and can easily get 30 wins per season. He is no Quick or Hank however. For Bryz to put up better numbers you need a Suter and Weber on the D IMO. Two players that dont grow on trees..especially Weber
This.

Which we will not get (because of Bryz's ugly azz contract and begs to question why did we get him in the first place) unless we trade away valuable pieces of our offense.

Of course then there goes any ground we may have made making the Richards and Carter trades.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I voted .905-.910, going by the team as is. I assume additions will be made, though, additions that will bump that number up..

06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Unless we adopt a different style of play (defensive oriented) it would be hard to imagine a save pct over .900.

35NW8ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
Unless we adopt a different style of play (defensive oriented) it would be hard to imagine a save pct over .900.
UGH..

again i ask why spend 51M$ on a goalie then ??

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
laundryman

Quote:
I think a 2.35 GAA on this team as it's presently constructed is outstanding.

I'm feeling around a .916 %, 2.5 GAA with ~32 Wins

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:11 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I went with .905-.910 because I'm a pessimist and do not see him holding average.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:27 AM
mirimon

I'm an optimist... 91.7% for next season. Team d gets a bit better as well and his GAA drops to 2.37

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
I agree. Bryz ended the year under .900 this season with this style of play, and I don't see how he can possibly get over that mark until Lavi is fired.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 10:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think he'll hover around .915.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Schenn10

Everything, and I mean everything that possibly could have gone wrong did go wrong last year. I think 24/7 was horrible for Bryzgalov (having everyone in the country + the media + worst of all his teammates making fun of him), and it took him awhile to get comfortable. Remember we had a lot of young forwards who will improve defensively as they mature and become veterans of the league. He's not gonna be a top 5 goalie in the league, but I think he puts up a solid .915-.920 next year.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 11:13 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Not Defensive oriented- defensive disciplined. You need all 5 people infront of the goalie know their roles and places on defence, but it might not be defence first system.

successful forecheck/ backcheck is a good defence. Without it Suter, Weber, Pronger and the best goalies will be helpless- you can't defend 3 on 5 successfully.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
UGH..

again i ask why spend 51M$ on a goalie then ??
Continuing to cry about it will surely eliminate the contract. The Bryz contract was a bad deal. Move on and work around it. If we can make it to the finals with MFL... we can make it with Bryz. I promise.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Not Defensive oriented- defensive disciplined. You need all 5 people infront of the goalie know their roles and places on defence, but it might not be defence first system.

successful forecheck/ backcheck is a good defence. Without it Suter, Weber, Pronger and the best goalies will be helpless- you can't defend 3 on 5 successfully.
Big QFE.

There is no system that dictates that your forwards become lazy back-checkers. That's called practice time, experience, and coaching. Yes, we need 1-2 more defenseman and probably a defensive-minded 4th line center (since I believe we all forsee Couturier moving up to the 3rd line), but the reality is that there is nothing about Lavi's system which precludes you from being an aggressive fore/backchecking team that uses aggression to control the puck and pace.

Old
06-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Continuing to cry about it will surely eliminate the contract. The Bryz contract was a bad deal. Move on and work around it. If we can make it to the finals with MFL... we can make it with Bryz. I promise.
It's more difficult to build depth when your goalie is getting paid 5.7 million. If he's not playing up to that cap hit, it creates problems. By investing that money in the goalie, it's obviously not been spent on a decent quality skater or two, so the team is less capable of making up for the goaltender's shortcomings. If Bryz keeps underperforming it's unlikely that the team will be as capable as the 2010 team at making up for goalie issues. If we're lucky the cap will continue rising 4-5 mil a year and that problem/risk will be erased...until that happens, we need Bryz to be worth every cent, especially while the young guys learn how to be effective two way players.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
It's more difficult to build depth when your goalie is getting paid 5.7 million. If he's not playing up to that cap hit, it creates problems. By investing that money in the goalie, it's obviously not been spent on a decent quality skater or two, so the team is less capable of making up for the goaltender's shortcomings. If Bryz keeps underperforming it's unlikely that the team will be as capable as the 2010 team at making up for goalie issues. If we're lucky the cap will continue rising 4-5 mil a year and that problem/risk will be erased...until that happens, we need Bryz to be worth every cent, especially while the young guys learn how
to be effective two way players.
Well, I guess we're screwed if you're right. Bryz was never worth 5.7M and fans expecting that from him will be sorely disappointed. No one here is going to argue that he isn't overpaid.... having it be the centerpoint of almost every thread on these boards is assinine. That's all I'm saying.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:22 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Big QFE.

There is no system that dictates that your forwards become lazy back-checkers. That's called practice time, experience, and coaching. Yes, we need 1-2 more defenseman and probably a defensive-minded 4th line center (since I believe we all forsee Couturier moving up to the 3rd line), but the reality is that there is nothing about Lavi's system which precludes you from being an aggressive fore/backchecking team that uses aggression to control the puck and pace.
You contradict yourself: you are talking about a need of coaching so that players play into the system and then you state that there is nothing wrong with the system.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
You contradict yourself: you are talking about a need of coaching so that players play into the system and then you state that there is nothing wrong with the system.
Not at all. The system in terms of X and Os is fine. Players being sufficiently coached and prepared for the system is a different story. We had a bunch of terribly young and inexperienced players not only playing in the NHL for the first time, but also playing in Laviolette's system for the first time.

Then factor in that several of them were changing lines and positions (Schenn to wing, Read to C).

We made a lot of changes last season (and throughout the season). That was compounded by the fact that many of the guys coming into that new situation were first year NHLers. The coaches simply couldn't afford them the learning curve and personal coaching time that a lone 1-2 rookies or new players might have gotten nor were there a lot of veterans to serve as on ice mentors for the system.

I expect that our forwards will be better defensively solely through the experience of this season. Sprinkle in a few personnel upgrades (as opposed to the huge turnover of last season) and we should be set-up nicely going into next season imo.

Old
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Well, I guess we're screwed if you're right. Bryz was never worth 5.7M and fans expecting that from him will be sorely disappointed. No one here is going to argue that he isn't overpaid.... having it be the centerpoint of almost every thread on these boards is assinine. That's all I'm saying.
If the cap keeps going up by 4 mil+ a year we should hopefully be fine. If not, if Bryz plays like expected we will also be fine. Ideally, both happen.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I love how people rip Bryz on here. From January to the end of the season, he was 18-8-2 with a 2.06 Save Percentage and .948 save percentage. He was terrible in the first half of the season, but that's because he was playing too heavy. If his second half numbers are any indication, I think that's the Bryz we'll see this upcoming year. I don't think the .948 Save Percentage is attainable over the full course of season, but .928 to .930 certainly should be.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote